Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  Receive our weekly newsletter.   I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

220/110V 50/60Hz voltage regulator/transformer

Information on everything from mobile apps to buying a new laptop or PC

220/110V 50/60Hz voltage regulator/transformer

Postby rabbit51 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:28 pm

I'm relocating to Shanghai in Feb, I pretend to bring some small appliances and computers with me, and they are 110V & 60Hz, is it difficult to find a voltage transformer/regulator to change from 220V 50 Hz to 110V 60Hz?

Thanks in advance to any comments and suggestions
rabbit51
Seeker
Seeker

Postby cks69 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:03 pm

wait, you mean from 110v 60hz to 220v 50hz right?

Shanghai runs on 220v.

I haven't found any here, but I know they sell them in the U.S. (or your home country).
cks69
Talker
Talker

Postby Freedom » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:23 pm

It's easy to find small wattage step down transformer for 220V to 110V conversion. However, for 60Hz to 50Hz conversion, the device is not as simple as voltage step down.

If your computer is a lap top, the power supply unit could already be of universal design for voltage between 100 - 240V and frequency between 50 - 60 Hz. Read the labels on all your small appliance for their proper power requirements.

I am using simple 220V/110V transformers for the battery chargers for my shaver, tooth brush and cordless phone.
Freedom
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Neroccio » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Pardon my ignorance but... will any of the 220-110v converter also change the Hz from 50 to 60? is it a major prob if it does not? we have a bunch of small appliances -DVD, wireless router, etc and I have to decide if it is worth bringing them with us when we move to Canada next month....
Neroccio
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Andreas » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:50 pm

Neroccio wrote:Pardon my ignorance but... will any of the 220-110v converter also change the Hz from 50 to 60? is it a major prob if it does not? we have a bunch of small appliances -DVD, wireless router, etc and I have to decide if it is worth bringing them with us when we move to Canada next month....

No, the convertor will only change the voltage not the frequency. Most of the time this is not a problem, apart from some appliances with electric motors. They will run slower on 50 Hz, and often draw a higher current, which might reduce theirlife time.

Bear in mind that these small appliances are generally cheap here, and maybe not worth bringing with you.
‘How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.’
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby Neroccio » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:06 am

thanks andreas, - so what about the reverse, 220v 50hz (china) appliances running on 110v 60hz north American power supply through a voltage converter?
Neroccio
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Andreas » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:06 am

Neroccio wrote:thanks andreas, - so what about the reverse, 220v 50hz (china) appliances running on 110v 60hz north American power supply through a voltage converter?

They will run mostly OK. Only everything with an electric AC motor will run a bit faster (think of power tools, vaccuum cleaners, fans etc.).
‘How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.’
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby CoffeeHawk_0 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:57 am

Where is a good place to buy 220V-to-120V convertors in SH? I need 200W to 300W.
CoffeeHawk_0
Board Deity

Postby CoffeeHawk_0 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:01 am

UPDATE: I bought one made by Yuewei yesterday. It looked a little small for 300W, and had no ventillation ports. But, it came with a spare fuse, which is rare. So, after a few hours of operation*, the power surged in the apartment, the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse, plugged it back in, and the fuse blew instantly. After ~4 hours of operation it began to leak a little oil too, and you could easily see where the iron casing of the windings was getting so hot it was melting the plastic box.

Anyone been using a local** brand with no problems? I have been using a 100W one which I purchased in the US, which also was made in China, for 2 years with no problems. With high wattage applications the transformers can get very, very hot, so the details of how the transformers are made cna make the difference between long life or not: quality solder joints, proper high-temperature wire insulation, etc.
CoffeeHawk_0
Board Deity

Postby shiner » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:43 am

In general the voltage transformer work, there are very simple and cheap transformer available, which just halfen or double the voltage (110V to 220V or the other way around). There are differences in quality, I bought several in Taiwan from 50W to 2kW, some blew after a couple of hours, others still work fine.

Most appliances are specified as 50/60Hz, then the step down/up is no problem. Be a bit careful with the upgrade from 50Hz to 60Hz, that's equivalent to 20% more energy into the appliance! The appliance gets hoter and might blew. Be careful with heating stuff like irons or other heating devices.

Other appliances with electrical clocks built in might have a problem, since the clock goes faster, respectively slower.
shiner
Seeker
Seeker

Postby p1atl10 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:52 am

Rabbit.
Check the labels on all your computer gear. Either on the box or the "brick" portion of the charger.
If it says something like:
Input:AC 100-240V
50-60HZ
Output: DC19.5V ...or whatever. The input is important.
These will work fine anywhere in the world.

If you bring a 110V appliance or piece of AV equipment (think here CD-Player), or anything with a motor, or a digital clock in it and use a convertor that does not also change the HZ from 50 to 60HZ, it will eventually blow up.

Not a problem if it is a cheap appliance. But if you have a Cuisinart or some other type of expensive kitchen appliance......

It is extremely difficult to find high wattage convertors (>200W) here in China that convert both Voltage and Frequency. Very easy to find in North America with a quick web search.

Bring one with you.
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.....Dave Barry
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby lautaw » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:40 pm

p1atl10, please type "110v 220v 200w or 300w ro x00w" in taobao, and you'll find lots of guys sell this stuff.
so, not very hard to find this convertor in shanghai. :)
lautaw

Postby p1atl10 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:56 am

lautaw
did....
To CoffeeHawks point, have not been able to find a good one here yet. Burned up 2 so far.
Still looking.
Rabbit51 is in NA.
He can pop on the web, order, pay, and have one delivered to his house.
I was only suggesting that he bring one with instead of going through the trial and error of finding a good one here.

Sounds like the Yuewei is out. Anybody else have any luck?
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.....Dave Barry
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:56 am

Chances are if its a reasonably current computer, it has 110-220 switchable power supply. Especially laptops -then you only need a plug converter. You should check.. it will say it on the back of the computer or laptop power supply. In terms of other devices - leave them there and buy them new here. It will be cheaper than shipping it most of the time. Especially leave the vacuum cleaners, mixers, blenders, toaster ovens, and other devices that use a lot of power and might have to move around. Transformers are never as good an alternative as having a device designed to work on local power. Those little travel transformers that radio shack has are worthless for anything but electric shavers and travel clocks.
Michael

Postby CoffeeHawk_0 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:50 pm

the electronics mall behind babaiban has everything from 5W to 1000W, 3rd floor, at the end where they sell printer ink refills.

i burned up 2 before i pulled my head out of my arse and remembered how to calculate power: P = VI (Voltage x Current)

every device will list it's operating voltage range and either a current level or a power level. Don't confuse the output of a power supply (ex// 12V DC, 200W) with it's input (ex// 110~127V, 5A). 127V x 5A = 635W, not 200W, buy a 750W~800W transformer for this example.

But, like Michael said, if you need a transformer for a PC, it's likely the power supply can already handle 220V.
CoffeeHawk_0
Board Deity

Postby p1atl10 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:20 pm

CoffeeHawk....
Oops! Thanks for the refresher course.
Been too many years since EE Lab.

Just re-did the math on the one I burned up. My fault!!
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Return to Technology