6 Hour Layover in Shanghai

Anything travel related in and out of China

6 Hour Layover in Shanghai

Postby dhc529 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:06 am

Dear Friends,

I am flying from SIN to JFK with a 6:00 AM to noon layover at the airport. Assuming I have no luggage to carry, spending two hours to get out and another two to get back into the airport, I have two hours to get to the Bund/Financial District in Pudong using the maglev train.

Is this feasible to eat a quick lunch and visit one of the building's observation deck on a Saturday morning in this timeframe? It's my first time to Shanghai :-)

Thank you and kind regards,

Drew Candebat
dhc529

Re: 6 Hour Layover in Shanghai

Postby Renovator » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:40 am

If you speak Chinese and have a visa to enter China (not just transit) then you may be able to do this. Remember, however, that Airlines normally close check in before boarding begins, so on an international flight you will probably have to be back at the airport, checked in at least 45 minutes before your flight (call the airline or go to their website for check in policies). You are supposed to check back in 2-3 hours in advance on an international flight so I would not appear at the check in counter 46 minutes before your flight as they may not let you check in. You will need to go back through Security and immigration as well so if there are several flights leaving after yours, the lines could be long and could take you up to 30-40 minutes to clear procedures.

Although, technically, this could be done especially if someone was hosting you that knows exactly where you want to go, and more possible if you have good priority status with your airline, I would certainly not recommend trying this being your first time to Shanghai.
Renovator
Veejay
Veejay

Postby GC » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:09 am

If you have a visa then with that arrival time you could probably have cleared immigration and with a taxi rather than maglev and metro, be at the bund by 7.30. I doubt very much you'll find anywhere decent to eat before needing to return to the airport.

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but do you need to check-in? I would assume this was already completed and all you had to do was clear immigration again so as long as you arrive at the correct terminal, an hour before should suffice.
GC
The Ginger Prince

Postby Renovator » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:26 am

GC wrote:If you have a visa then with that arrival time you could probably have cleared immigration and with a taxi rather than maglev and metro, be at the bund by 7.30. I doubt very much you'll find anywhere decent to eat before needing to return to the airport.

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but do you need to check-in? I would assume this was already completed and all you had to do was clear immigration again so as long as you arrive at the correct terminal, an hour before should suffice.

As long as you have a full boarding pass, you should not have to check in again. On some flights, however, you just go to a transit room with your boarding pass stub if you are on-going on the same airline and then would not have the boarding pass they check before allowing you to enter immigration area. I would think the visa would be a bigger problem because most people would not want to pay the visa fee to be able to go downtown for a couple of hours.
Renovator
Veejay
Veejay

Postby dhc529 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:14 am

Thank you for replying!

I believe a visa is not required if the stay is less than 48 hours and you show your arrival and departure tickets. A holding room is a good point! Do they not allow passengers to leave Pudong by placing them in a holding area during longer layovers? I'm not familiar with this airport or China Eastern.

Thank you,

Drew
dhc529

Postby GC » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:27 am

^as per this

Visas are not required of passport holders of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours : Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland.

maybe someone with experience can comment
GC
The Ginger Prince

Postby dhc529 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:13 am

Dear Friends,

I want to say that I took this trip and had a 6 hour layover in Shanghai that allowed me to visit Pudong. Here are my notes:

I arrived early (6:00 AM) via China Eastern to JFK on a Saturday for a 6 hour layover

There were no lines for customs or train tickets at that time

Customs told me (American) they had no problem for leaving the airport for half a day as long as I had boarding pass

I had researched the trains before hand and realized I had to transfer at Longyang and then get off at Lujiazui stations

The maglev and train station has many signs in English and weren't crowded or all that expensive

The one-way trip including transfer at Longyang took about 30 minutes to arrive to Pudong

I had time to travel to Pudong, run to the top of Oriental Pearl Tower and World Financial Center, return, go through customs, eat, and board all in 6 hours. Now granted it was early on a Saturday morning and I ran arround fairly quickly. But at least it was a great intro to Shanghai, I got to go to the 3rd tallest building in the world, and reached a land speed record of 431 kph!!

Hope this information helps someone in my shoes. -Drew
dhc529

Return to Travel