Affordable vet in Shanghai???

Pet care and animal adoptions

Affordable vet in Shanghai???

Postby wwhingkwok » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:21 pm

My neighbor recently found two stray dogs on the street and she doesn't have room in her place so I am taking care of one of them. I am looking for a good home for this lovely guy and have posted him on JAR but in the meanwhile I'm trying to have him health checked and neutered first. He's a 9 pound brown poodle.

Does anyone know of an affordable vet where I can bring him?

wwhingkwok
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Affordable vet in Shanghai???

Postby SOS Animal » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Hello,
In our animal rescue group we have had very good experiences with the veterinary services provided by Petshome (particularly by Dr. Lo and Dr. Liu):

Petshome Veterinary Hospital at Gu Bei (PUXI)
Veterinary hospital, Pet supplies and Pet Hotel.
Address: 507 Wuzhong Road
Opening hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (veterinary services); 9:00 to 8:00 pm (pet hotel services)
Phone: 021 6242 5599 / 021 5477 5163

Petshome Veterinary Hospital at Jing An (PUXI)
Veterinary hospital, Pet supplies and Pet Hotel.
Address: 131 Changning Road (near Jiangsu Bei Road)
Opening hours: 11:00 am to 7:00 pm (veterinary services); 9:00 to 7:00 pm (pet hotel services)
Phone: 021 6226 6112 / 021 6212 3211
S.O.S. Animal Protection / Non-profit
Help us to help them!
SOS Animal
Reacher
Reacher

Postby SOS Animal » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Another very good hospital is the following:

Doctors Beck & Stone - 闵行青杉路 Minhang
Veterinary services, grooming, boarding, and pet foods.

For appointment, pet pick-up and emergency call: 400 103 8686 or email: info@drbns.com
Reception: +86 21 64029226
Opening hours 9 am to 7 pm, Mon - Sun, consultation by appointment.

66 Qingshan Road, Minhang District, Shanghai 201100
Line 10, Longbai Xincun Station, 5 minutes walking time
思威(北京)国际动物医院有限公司上海分公司
上海市闵行区青杉路66号
S.O.S. Animal Protection / Non-profit
Help us to help them!
SOS Animal
Reacher
Reacher

Postby wwhingkwok » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Does anyone know the costs for a health check and neutering at the above places? Thanks
wwhingkwok
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Medea » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Dr Stephanie Goltz
St. Anthony Recovery Hospital
440 Hami Road
phone 3208 2880

You will have to call any vet to ask about the price for neutering. For dogs there is no standard neutering fee but it's charged according to their weight. Male dogs are cheaper of course than females.

i remember paying around 500 kuai for neutering a male dog with Stephanie. He was below 10kg.
I support Jaiya's Animal Rescue (JAR) Next JAR Animal Adoption Day is on Sunday, June 1
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby wwhingkwok » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks, also do fosters usually need to vaccinate the dogs before rehoming them? I'm really new to this as I've never rescued a homeless dog in China before. What are the normal procedures regarding shots, neutering, etc.

Thanks
wwhingkwok
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Pet Union Forum » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:26 pm

Hello,
Regarding "basic procedures" when you rescue a stray animal please refer to the following guideline:
http://www.shanghaistuff.com/group/anim ... n-shanghai

In general terms all animals must be vaccinated before attending adoption days and/or being given for adoption (they must have "at least" one vaccination). If the pet is over 6 months old, then the right thing to do will be to have the pet neutered/spayed as well. If the pet is adopted before he/she is 6 months old ... then is the duty of the adopter to sterilize that pet.

For the dates of the adoption days please check the following:
http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/ ... s/petcare/
Best Friends China / Non-profit
Contact person: Jane Wang
e-mail: adoption85@hotmail.com
Best Friends China Pet Adoption Day in MINHANG: Sunday AUGUST 31!
Pet Union Forum
Ranter
Ranter

Postby wwhingkwok » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks Jane! The poodle I rescued is living in the same space as me and my other pup for the past couple of days. He seems to be eating well, and healthy temperament except that he has missing hair on some parts of his tail and ears. Is this something I should be concerned about and should I separating them?
wwhingkwok
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Medea » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 pm

The missing hair could be a skin fungus like ringworm but the vet will be able to tell you.

If you want to adopt out the dog through JAR, yes, you will have to do the basic vaccination, deworming, defleaing and also the neutering if the animal is old enough :)

Good luck with your vet appointment :)
I support Jaiya's Animal Rescue (JAR) Next JAR Animal Adoption Day is on Sunday, June 1
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby JAR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi!
It was good meeting you at our adoption day and as discussed (and what has been stated on the above responses) that we will need to have Bebe vaccinated, dewormed and deflead. We also encourage spaying/neutering and the vets recommended above are all good. You mentioned you already use Petshome, so please contact Dr. Lo and tell her that you are using JAR as a platform and that I recommended you to them so you can receive a discount. Please note that the discount applies if using B&S or St. Anthonys (just as long as you speak to the doctors that I told you to contact).
I suggest that you have Bebe's tail looked into further as it may be a skin problem....best to look into it now.
We will do what we can to help. Now that other rescue groups are aware, we can all work together in finding the right home for him.......
JAR - Jaiya's Animal Rescue (Shanghai)
email: shanghaidogs@gmail.com
JAR
Reacher
Reacher

Postby wwhingkwok » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:33 am

Great, Thanks Marvin! I have made an appointment with Dr. Sunny tomorrow to check on her tail and ears since Dr Lo and Dr Beck will be out if town till next week. I will get her dewormed, deflead and vaccinated as well.
As far as neutering, they said it would cost 450 rmb so I think I am going to hold off on that for now.
wwhingkwok
Lurker
Lurker

Postby JAR » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi again!

Thanks for doing that. As discussed, if you want JAR to help you find a home for Bebe, I would appreciate it if you can abide with our policies and regulations. We do need to have him neutered as this is what we ask all of our rescuers and it will be unfair to the others if you attend the event and
Bebe is not neutered.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Speak soon.

M
JAR
Reacher
Reacher

Postby wwhingkwok » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 pm

It turned out to be mites, and not fungus:)
wwhingkwok
Lurker
Lurker

Postby wwhingkwok » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Just FYI for future rescues, Dr Beck & Stone charges 450 for neutering 9 pound poodle. I shall be bringing him in for surgery tomorrow. Thanks for all the info and support!
wwhingkwok
Lurker
Lurker

Postby JAR » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Bei Bei was successfully neutered and we contributed half of the operation cost to help the rescuer.

Please see his updated photo :)

He is ready, happy, and waiting to be adopted if anyone is interested!!
bei.JPG
JAR
Reacher
Reacher

Postby maariki » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:51 pm

I just had my male cat neutered at Beck and Stone. The cost was a few RMB short of 1500 and done by a local Junior Doctor. I find that quite expensive compared with what such routine surgery would cost outside China.

B&S was recommended by the rescuers of the mother cat whose kitten I adopted as 'a clinic not being as expensive as some other vets used by foreigners'. I am not sure about that.
maariki

Postby DoctorsbecknStone » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:50 pm

maariki wrote:I just had my male cat neutered at Beck and Stone. The cost was a few RMB short of 1500 and done by a local Junior Doctor. I find that quite expensive compared with what such routine surgery would cost outside China.

B&S was recommended by the rescuers of the mother cat whose kitten I adopted as 'a clinic not being as expensive as some other vets used by foreigners'. I am not sure about that.

Dear Maariki,

While I do not know the specifics of this case, please do allow me to address some of your concerns. First of all, thank you for your feedback - we will take it onboard as we strive to make international standards of veterinary care available and accessible to pet owners in China. As part of this mission, before a procedure involving a general anaesthetic your highly trained Doctors Beck & Stone veterinarian will recommend blood screening tests. This helps check the health of the patient beyond what can be seen clinically, determining whether they are a good candidate for surgery at that time and helping us to select the safest possible anaesthetic protocol specifically for them. Your vet may also have recommended intravenous fluid therapy for your cat before, during and after the procedure. This helps maintain your pet's blood pressure throughout, protecting the blood flow through vital organs and helping to flush out the anaesthetic drugs, aiding a speedy recovery. It is, of course, true that each of these precautions incurs a cost; however, they really do serve to minimise the risk to your pet in both the short and long term, conforming to international standards of veterinary care. Your cat will also have benefited from the multi-modal analgesia (pain-killers) that we provide as standard before and immediately after the procedure. I am confident that the costs involved will have been discussed with you prior to the procedure as part of our transparent pricing policy, and I think it is testament to you as an owner and animal-lover that you opted for gold standard care for your cat. I hope your cat is resting up well and we sincerely hope to see you both again soon for his free surgical recheck.

Very best regards,

Thom
思威国际动物医院
Call 400-103-8686 for Appointment, Pet pick-up or Emergency
www.doctorsbeckandstone.com
DoctorsbecknStone
Seeker
Seeker

Postby TheBadPenny » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:05 am

I had taken my cat to Eagle Valley Vet before the Drs Beck & Stone takeover. We saw Dr. Stephanie (she really is a terrific vet, as others have noted) and the charge was 500RMB.

I just called Eagle Valley, under the Beck & Stone brand, to inquire about a spay and was quoted 2000RMB. Out of curiosity, I asked the charge for a neuter and was told it was also 2000RMB.

The service at Eagle Valley was fantastic before Beck & Stone, and the prices were reasonable. I don't doubt that the service is still good, but now the price has quadrupled. I wish B&S hadn't messed with a good thing, now I am searching for a new vet. Incidentally, in Canada you pay $75 for a neuter and $150 for a spay. I personally feel the Beck & Stone is after the high-end niche and is trying to be a "boutique" vet. If that's your thing, go for it, but I expect a skilled, high-standard, reasonably priced vet, and I don't feel a re-branding justifies the extra cost. Frankly, I am not pleased to see my preferred vet clinic get priced out of reasonable range, and I don't like having to find a new vet, so I may be slightly grumpy on this subject.

Best,

D

I called St. Anthony's based on other online reviews and found out that Dr. Stephanie is now working there (again). She is currently out of the country and will return on November 20, 2013. According to the receptionist, St. Anthony's charges 800 for a spay.
TheBadPenny
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Robert H » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:19 am

Hello,
I think in your post you mention one particular point that it is relevant: it is wonderful to find a good vet doctor, but it is even better when that doctor stays in the country and works. At this point Dr. Goltz is famous for never being here, so at the end she is no help when you have a pet with an urgent medical problem (no matter how good doctor she is).
Talking about B&S: yes, they are pricey, but at least in my experience their service is superb. Also they have discount prices for rescuers, and provide plenty of medical help (with major discounts) to rescued animals who need very complex, modern and expensive medical services in order to survive.
Personally I am ok with B&S.
Animals are not resources or property with whom we can do what we please, their lives matter very much, and they should be firmly entrenched in our moral community. Accepting the notion of 'animal guardian' to replace 'pet owner' will go a long way towards making the lives of our companions better.
Robert H
Talker
Talker

Postby TheBadPenny » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:51 pm

For an urgent or emergency procedure, each pet owner is going to have to make a personal decision about how much care is in the animal's best interests, where they will take their pet, and under what terms. When time is of the essence, one's choices become understandably narrower.

However, with routine, non-urgent care such as spay, neuter, or vaccinations, one has much more room to pursue value, and physicians with longer wait times. In no way do I discredit B&S's service. I assume, for the price, it's amazing. Nonetheless, 2000RMB for a spay is wildly expensive, even by international standards. Discounts for rescues are great, all of our kitties are rescues, but it would have to be at least a 50% discount for a spay at B&S to be even within the realm of consideration. Most people do not have the financial wiggle-room to purchase a 2000Y service when service of comparable quality is available at 800Y. Given these prices, I get the impression that clinics with these high price tags are after a very particular type of client.
TheBadPenny
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby DoctorsbecknStone » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:37 pm

TheBadPenny wrote:I had taken my cat to Eagle Valley Vet before the Drs Beck & Stone takeover. We saw Dr. Stephanie (she really is a terrific vet, as others have noted) and the charge was 500RMB.

I just called Eagle Valley, under the Beck & Stone brand, to inquire about a spay and was quoted 2000RMB. Out of curiosity, I asked the charge for a neuter and was told it was also 2000RMB.

The service at Eagle Valley was fantastic before Beck & Stone, and the prices were reasonable. I don't doubt that the service is still good, but now the price has quadrupled. I wish B&S hadn't messed with a good thing, now I am searching for a new vet. Incidentally, in Canada you pay $75 for a neuter and $150 for a spay. I personally feel the Beck & Stone is after the high-end niche and is trying to be a "boutique" vet. If that's your thing, go for it, but I expect a skilled, high-standard, reasonably priced vet, and I don't feel a re-branding justifies the extra cost. Frankly, I am not pleased to see my preferred vet clinic get priced out of reasonable range, and I don't like having to find a new vet, so I may be slightly grumpy on this subject.

Best,

D

I called St. Anthony's based on other online reviews and found out that Dr. Stephanie is now working there (again). She is currently out of the country and will return on November 20, 2013. According to the receptionist, St. Anthony's charges 800 for a spay.

Dear D,

Thank you very much for raising the issue of prices for a cat spay and castration. The prices you mentioned are not comparable. Let me explain.

Our medical fees depends on the seniority and experience of our veterinarian.

The price for a cat spay performed by our regular vets is RMB 1016, and RMB 1328 if performed by a VIP vet.

The price for a cat castration performed by a regular vet is RMB 826, and RMB 1097 if performed by a VIP vet.

All our vets follow the best international anesthesia protocol.

Our vets also recommend that pet owners request a pre-anesthesia blood test to ensure that your pet is completely healthy before anesthesia. There is an extra charge for this elective test.

I hope this clarifies that our pricing is very reasonable, considering that we aim to provide the highest possible international standard of veterinary care in China.

Warm regards

Tony

Dr Tony Beck
DoctorsbecknStone
Seeker
Seeker

Postby DoctorsbecknStone » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:41 pm

TheBadPenny wrote:For an urgent or emergency procedure, each pet owner is going to have to make a personal decision about how much care is in the animal's best interests, where they will take their pet, and under what terms. When time is of the essence, one's choices become understandably narrower.

However, with routine, non-urgent care such as spay, neuter, or vaccinations, one has much more room to pursue value, and physicians with longer wait times. In no way do I discredit B&S's service. I assume, for the price, it's amazing. Nonetheless, 2000RMB for a spay is wildly expensive, even by international standards. Discounts for rescues are great, all of our kitties are rescues, but it would have to be at least a 50% discount for a spay at B&S to be even within the realm of consideration. Most people do not have the financial wiggle-room to purchase a 2000Y service when service of comparable quality is available at 800Y. Given these prices, I get the impression that clinics with these high price tags are after a very particular type of client.

Dear TheBadPenny,

As I mentioned to "D", our price for a cat spay performed by our regular vets is RMB 1016, and RMB 1328 if performed by a VIP vet.

The price for a cat castration performed by a regular vet is RMB 826, and RMB 1097 if performed by a VIP vet.

I hope this clarifies that our pricing is very reasonable, considering that we aim to provide the highest possible international standard of veterinary care in China.

Warm regards

Tony

Dr Tony Beck
DoctorsbecknStone
Seeker
Seeker

Return to Pets