All Business Chain Hotels Now Refuse Non-Chinese

Anything travel related in and out of China

All Business Chain Hotels Now Refuse Non-Chinese

Postby woshiweideren » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:20 pm

7 days, 8 Days, Green Tree, JinJiang, Hanting, Home Inns, Motel168, etc.

Multiple provinces over several trips during the last year.

Even if you have top level VIP platinum membership, points, 50 or 100 stays with excellent credibility, they simply will not accept foreigner reservations now.

They claim they cannot accept foreigners. This is a lie.
They claim the law says. This is a lie.

This is clearly now .Gov policy because when you place a reservation it is 'OK'ed' but then the next day, when the hotel submits the info to the local PSB who then reject you because you have a passport, visa and are foreigner, you get a call informing you that you cannot stay at the hotel.

Since this has happened to me 4 times in 4 jurisdictions over 15+ months, it's obviously official national policy.

So your choice is clear:

Will you stay in a country where you cannot travel?

Will you stay in a country where you are forced to stay in centrally located, over-priced, run-down hotels that are all near the centre of town and major train/bus stations?

Will you stay in a country where you are forced to stay at the handful of big name hotels that are in the tourist traps only?

This means you cannot plan trips and book ahead, unless you have a Chinese wife to make the booking for you - but then again we hear that they won't let the foreign spouse stay at the hotel even though she can.
woshiweideren
Rocker
Rocker

Re: All Business Chain Hotels Now Refuse Non-Chinese

Postby I_Hate_White_Rice » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Maybe it is just you they don't want?
I_Hate_White_Rice
Talker
Talker

Postby Er bi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Some days ago lived in Holyday Inn for 300 rmb and did not buzzed.

PS: Did you regularly wash ? :wink:
Er bi
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Diomedes » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:39 pm

Diomedes
Rocker
Rocker

Mood: Happy

Postby monalisalee » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:44 pm

This is rubbish, woshi, and you know it.

I have stayed in several of aforementioned hotels with not a problem.
As a matter of fact, I stayed recently in Hanting Express, and was given a special rate, for 1 months stay, and a free breakfast every day. There were a number of foreigners staying there.

Why are you spreading anti-China sh1t, that is simply not true?
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby Er bi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Diomedes.

Maybe because you are amellican ... ? We have many clients this
year lived in different places and i hear THAT the first time.
Next door, try to say "Canadian" , "Austarlian" , "Russian" or the such ..
and you will see. Maybe i'm wrong, but .. hmm.. i have some guesses.
Last edited by Er bi on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Er bi
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Kief » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 pm

woshiweideren wrote:7 days, 8 Days, Green Tree, JinJiang, Hanting, Home Inns, Motel168, etc.

LOL! I wouldn't even bang a prostitute in any of those places, gross!
S҉҉̼̥͉̥͉ṃ̠͖̣̝͘͢ờ͎͈̣͔̱̗͉̫̭͜o̥t̴̜̹̘̖͓̤͢h̵̲ ̵̩̟̞̮̯̼̫c̸̮̬̫͉͉̠̫̼ơ̧͕̰͉̤̝͍̺͡c̷̛̬͍̺̳͍̩̦̬k̨̝̣͍̭̤̩͓̞e̶̘̠̝̼͘͠ͅd̷̹̮ ̺̹͓͓̗́͜c̷̰̟͉̞̜̮̻̙͞r̨̢̲̰̤̹̥̼̳̼̫i̷̜̤̱̬m̷̴̯͙̩͜i̴͔̫̦̱͢n͏̪̤a̷̖͈͈͕̘̹̣l͕͎̩͙͜ ̟̟̺̩͉̟̬́͢ḽ͕i̬̥͚̬̜̲̪ͅv̥̥i̴̥̹̲̻ṋ͉̰̫͕̼͇͖͟͟g̴̥̳ ̸̧̠̗͕̖̰͔̟̠i͏̴̪̣̮̩̥̞͢ṉ̛͔ ͘͟҉̺̳͖̼̱͍S̬h̞̦̰̜̦͖̜a҉̘͘n͏̷͍̹ģ͍͓͎̤h̵̡̭̦̩͍̹͘a̷̻̬͙į̧͏͕̤̝̣͍̱̟
Kief
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby Diomedes » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Er bi wrote:Diomedes.

Maybe because you are amellican ... ? We have many clients this
year lived in different places and i hear THAT the first time.
Next door, try to say "Canadian" , "Austarlian" , "Russian" or the such ..
and you will see. Maybe i'm wrong, but .. hmm.. i have some guesses.

I wasn't making the reservations.
Diomedes
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Er bi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Of course, your secretary did. I got it.
PS: Motel168 = Business Chain ? :lol:
Er bi
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Journo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 pm

I_Hate_White_Rice wrote:Maybe it is just you they don't want?

Exactly.
Journo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby monalisalee » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Kief: These are budget hotels, and there are plenty of cards pushed under the doors, offering "SERVICES".
That is how the hotel prices are kept down.
You are not forced to bang the beauties!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby woshiweideren » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Kief wrote:
woshiweideren wrote:7 days, 8 Days, Green Tree, JinJiang, Hanting, Home Inns, Motel168, etc.

Outside of Beijing and Shanghai, if you wish to book a hotel your choices are those chains or the local places. There are a handful of Marriots, Hyatts and Ramadas in the rest of the country, and they are not in many cities nor locations.

So if you wish to travel to a Tier 3 to 6 city you have to be fluent in Chinese (decades to learn) to place a call to one of the local luxury places. The desk will hear your accent and refuse you. If you show up at the counter, they see you and refuse you even if you had a Chinese friend make the call and reservation. They call the local PSB who tell you that you cannot stay there.

If you have any chance to book a place, you would use those chains to plan ahead, book online, use machine translation tools, and be able to generate an itinerary. That is now not possible. Your assistant, in a non-Beijing or non-Shanghai city, is less than useless with no skills or knowledge of the world. She cannot solve the problem.

This is far beyond the issue of local hoteliers not knowing how to use the new registration systems. They know how to use it - the PSB find out you are staying there and call them and tell them you cannot stay.

They call you before you show up, so it's not based upon wearing a tailored suit and shirt and dress shoes or appearance. It's based upon your non-Chinese ID.

It's clearly a policy to restrict movement and keep non-Chinese in certain areas. So if you wish to stay near the Henan Museum in Zhenghou, you cannot and must stay 10kms away near the central train station. That hotel is 498 a night, it's a dump and much less nice than those places you would 'not even bang a prostitute' in.

You could stay at the Hyatt, it's 898 Yuan, but it's downtown and not in the interesting neighbourhoods.

IOW, this is to keep us from exploring China.

Since this began last Spring Festival, Feb 2012, and has continued, then it is obviously new and official policy and as such will be enforced for the next 10 years.
Last edited by woshiweideren on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woshiweideren
Rocker
Rocker

Postby woshiweideren » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Kief wrote:LOL! I wouldn't even bang a prostitute in any of those places, gross!

Shanghai Expat's Demographic:

Arrogant, Sociopathic Assholes with Money
woshiweideren
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Chavster » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:35 pm

woshiweideren wrote:
Kief wrote:

Outside of Beijing and Shanghai, if you wish to book a hotel your choices are those chains or the local places. There are a handful of Marriots, Hyatts and Ramadas in the rest of the country, and they are not in many cities nor locations.

So if you wish to travel to a Tier 3 to 6 city you have to be fluent in Chinese (decades to learn) to place a call to one of the local luxury places. The desk will hear your accent and refuse you. If you show up at the counter, they see you and refuse you even if you had a Chinese friend make the call and reservation. They call the local PSB who tell you that you cannot stay there.

If you have any chance to book a place, you would use those chains to plan ahead, book online, use machine translation tools, and be able to generate an itinerary. That is now not possible. Your assistant, in a non-Beijing or non-Shanghai city, is less than useless with no skills or knowledge of the world. She cannot solve the problem.

This is far beyond the issue of local hoteliers not knowing how to use the new registration systems. They know how to use it - the PSB find out you are staying there and call them and tell them you cannot stay.

They call you before you show up, so it's not based upon wearing a tailored suit and shirt and dress shoes or appearance. It's based upon your non-Chinese ID.

It's clearly a policy to restrict movement and keep non-Chinese in certain areas. So if you wish to stay near the Henan Museum in Zhenghou, you cannot and must stay 10kms away near the central train station. That hotel is 498 a night, it's a dump and much less nice than those places you would 'not even bang a prostitute' in.

You could stay at the Hyatt, it's 898 Yuan, but it's downtown and not in the interesting neighbourhoods.

IOW, this is to keep us from exploring China.

Since this began last Spring Festival, Feb 2012, and has continued, then it is obviously new and official policy and as such will be enforced for the next 10 years.

I'm not sure that this is a new policy. I've heard reports of this from many years ago. But maybe it's something they are tightening up on.

I agree that it's frustrating and asinine. Friends of mine have gotten around this by not booking at all. Just show up and present yourself. Usually they take the path of least resistance if you put of a fuss and end up registering you. But you might have to be quite firm. There doesn't seem to be any legitimate reason for this policy.

My guess is that as usual it's a weird combination of Chinese culture and the ever-present micro-managing and nagging of the state.
" Once, it was I who stood in the big, cold schoolroom, a hot crumpet burning my cheeks with shame. Since that day, I have been busy every hour God sent, working to become Prime Minister and fight sloth and privilege wherever I found it."

- Pitt the Younger
Chavster
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby Kief » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Love woshi's posts. I have an avatar recommendation for you (It's Nick Offerman; a popular current Tee Vee actor in the grand union) :D

woshi.jpg
S҉҉̼̥͉̥͉ṃ̠͖̣̝͘͢ờ͎͈̣͔̱̗͉̫̭͜o̥t̴̜̹̘̖͓̤͢h̵̲ ̵̩̟̞̮̯̼̫c̸̮̬̫͉͉̠̫̼ơ̧͕̰͉̤̝͍̺͡c̷̛̬͍̺̳͍̩̦̬k̨̝̣͍̭̤̩͓̞e̶̘̠̝̼͘͠ͅd̷̹̮ ̺̹͓͓̗́͜c̷̰̟͉̞̜̮̻̙͞r̨̢̲̰̤̹̥̼̳̼̫i̷̜̤̱̬m̷̴̯͙̩͜i̴͔̫̦̱͢n͏̪̤a̷̖͈͈͕̘̹̣l͕͎̩͙͜ ̟̟̺̩͉̟̬́͢ḽ͕i̬̥͚̬̜̲̪ͅv̥̥i̴̥̹̲̻ṋ͉̰̫͕̼͇͖͟͟g̴̥̳ ̸̧̠̗͕̖̰͔̟̠i͏̴̪̣̮̩̥̞͢ṉ̛͔ ͘͟҉̺̳͖̼̱͍S̬h̞̦̰̜̦͖̜a҉̘͘n͏̷͍̹ģ͍͓͎̤h̵̡̭̦̩͍̹͘a̷̻̬͙į̧͏͕̤̝̣͍̱̟
Kief
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby Diomedes » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:36 pm

woshiweideren wrote:Shanghai Expat's Demographic:

I get the impression most of these pricks are broke.
Diomedes
Rocker
Rocker

Postby monalisalee » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:42 pm

Ha Ha. Keep digging the hole, woshi.

Give up, while you are still behind.

At least a bit of controversy, on a dull Tuesday!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby woshiweideren » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:42 pm

Kief wrote:Love woshi's posts. I have an avatar recommendation for you (It's Nick Offerman; a popular current Tee Vee actor in the grand union)

Well, you are delusional.

I showed up for my reservation 3 days ago dressed like this:

woshiweideren
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Kief » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Diomedes wrote:
woshiweideren wrote:Shanghai Expat's Demographic:

I get the impression most of these pricks are broke.

Most of them are, son.
Kief
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby musicexec » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:48 pm

I've stayed at those chains before even in tier 7 cities and even as of last week, never an issue. Did have to once go to the local PSB office to do the registration as their system was broke but they took me and the paperwork at the PSB was done in 5 minutes.

Certain hotels have the rights to have foreigners stay, some do not, but I find most of hanting and 168/268 have this license.
musicexec
Barker
Barker

Postby Kief » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:48 pm

woshiweideren wrote:
Kief wrote:Love woshi's posts. I have an avatar recommendation for you (It's Nick Offerman; a popular current Tee Vee actor in the grand union)

Thats where you went wrong. You traveled to a 3rd tier city with no name brand on your belt buckle? Rook.
Kief
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby Kief » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 pm

Come to SH and hang with me for a week woshi, I'll show you how the world clicks, a-la today.
Kief
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby musicexec » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:54 pm

Kief wrote:
woshiweideren wrote:

Thats where you went wrong. You traveled to a 3rd tier city with no name brand on your belt buckle? Rook.

That screams to a nonming you are broke and there just for the cheap hookers via the slide under the door cards--aka trouble..

Learn to be "branded"...life gets easy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
musicexec
Barker
Barker

Postby woshiweideren » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:01 am

musicexec wrote:That screams to a nonming you are broke and there just for the cheap hookers via the slide under the door cards--aka trouble..

Can't read that they reject me via phone before I show up at the front desk in business casual? Missed that part? How they do not know my appearance?

Unlike you I am not here for cheap hookers. I am exploring the country, pagodas, temples, places I have not been to, interesting neighbourhoods. Food, restaurants, etc.

First thing I do when I get into my room is unplug the phone.

Then that evening at 11:50pm, I hear the phone 2 rooms down ring, then the room next door, then a pause, then the one on the other side of my room, and on down the hall. Each morning I have to clean up the pile of 'massage' cards on my stoop.
woshiweideren
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Kief » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 am

woshiweideren wrote:First thing I do when I get into my room is unplug the phone.

Then that evening at 11:50pm, I hear the phone 2 rooms down ring, then the room next door, then a pause, then the one on the other side of my room, and on down the hall. Each morning I have to clean up the pile of 'massage' cards on my stoop.

I love you man.
Kief
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby I_Hate_White_Rice » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:23 am

woshiweideren wrote:
Kief wrote:LOL! I wouldn't even bang a prostitute in any of those places, gross!

Shanghai Expat's Demographic:

and what's the problem?
I_Hate_White_Rice
Talker
Talker

Postby Gay_Chevara » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:31 am

YE's threads could be turned into a great book.

Kind of like River Town but without all the rose-tinted views (which actually got kind of dull in the end).
To Live and Die in Xujiahui
Gay_Chevara
LaoLoser

Postby btb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:51 am

Multiple provinces over several trips during the last year.

Even if you have top level VIP platinum membership, points, 50 or 100 stays with excellent credibility, they simply will not accept foreigner reservations now.

They claim they cannot accept foreigners. This is a lie.
They claim the law says. This is a lie.

This is clearly now .Gov policy because when you place a reservation it is 'OK'ed' but then the next day, when the hotel submits the info to the local PSB who then reject you because you have a passport, visa and are foreigner, you get a call informing you that you cannot stay at the hotel.

Since this has happened to me 4 times in 4 jurisdictions over 15+ months, it's obviously official national policy.

u r on the chinese no-fly i mean no-stay list

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
btb
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Cool

Postby btb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:53 am

woshiweideren wrote:So your choice is clear:

Will you stay in a country where you cannot travel?

Will you stay in a country where you are forced to stay in centrally located, over-priced, run-down hotels that are all near the centre of town and major train/bus stations?

Will you stay in a country where you are forced to stay at the handful of big name hotels that are in the tourist traps only?

so what have u decided....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
btb
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Cool

Postby Gay_Chevara » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:01 am

There's a Green Tree Inn just down the road from me. Actually, a Home Inn and a Jin Jiang and one of those other places.

One of them has a big glass-fronted lobby, so you can see directly in. It always looks to be full of Waidi thugs. Good enough reason not to stay there I reckon.
To Live and Die in Xujiahui
Gay_Chevara
LaoLoser

Next

Return to Travel