Antidepressants in China, OTC?

Antidepressants in China, OTC?

Postby tfl100 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:30 am

Hi,

I have searched everywhere for this including these forums but have found so much conflicting info. Does anyone conclusively know if certain antidepressants (specifically sertraline and xanax/prozac) can be purchased over the counter here in china. Personally my experience is no, but so many people say it is possible.

I have to make it clear that I have a prescription for the meds from home, and even have been prescribed here in China, but it seems they will only do one weeks worth at a time which is incredibly annoying for obvious reasons.

Does anyone have any experience in getting anti-depressants here, or has anyone managed to get them sent from home or alternatively OTC, or through a foreign script to bypass the whole '1 week only' rule?

Any help would be really appreciated, especially if anyone can point out specific pharmacies in Shanghai that could help. :? Thanks
tfl100

Re: Antidepressants in China, OTC?

Postby HaroldTheIronmonger » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:46 am

No.

Get your prescription at the Shanghai Mental Health Hospital.
‘Sounds like a load of bullsh1t to me, mate’ said Pete. ‘Tequila?’
HaroldTheIronmonger

G'wan now... Git!

Board Lord
Board Lord

Mood: Happy

Postby yamari » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:02 am

no offence for people with serious issues these drugs are needed but most people fall into the other 80% which is people that are using these things to numb themselves rather than make lifestyle changes. Hence the two week rule here: which basically says that the person needs to look into other means rather than just popping pills. learn to feel your feelings people- yes life has bad feelings but taking drugs so you can continue to live the same lifestyle in not a good long term solution.

Find a shrink that actually works to get you off your drugs, rather than having you think they are an actual long term solution.
yamari
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby HaroldTheIronmonger » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:20 am

^ Some people having to take medication is due to lack of certain ingredients in their brains which these meds will compensate for/give them.
‘Sounds like a load of bullsh1t to me, mate’ said Pete. ‘Tequila?’
HaroldTheIronmonger

G'wan now... Git!

Board Lord
Board Lord

Postby yamari » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:41 am

HaroldTheIronmonger wrote:^ Some people having to take medication is due to lack of certain ingredients in their brains which these meds will compensate for/give them.

yah sure some do as a i mentioned but the other 80% on them dont need them and i am being very conservative by not saying 98% dont need them.

headaches are the absence of pain killers and mental problems are from a lack of prozac in your diet. if you believe that i have some land in arizona to sell you.
yamari
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby shacksB » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:10 pm

As far as I know, antidepressants are not over the counter drugs. You need the doctor's prescription to buy that drug. I don't know if I'm correct but I think, S2 # of the doctor is needed and be included in the prescription under the doctor's License #.
shacksB

Postby grass mud horse » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Paxil/prozac and other antidepressants require a prescription in the big pharmacies. in the small ones they dont and may only ask for you to sign for it when u buy it. if they dont have it in stock they can probably order it for you

Benzodiazipines like xanax and valium are also readily available but u will have to go to a local hospital to get them. takes about 30min and costs about 20rmb in the local hospitals.
grass mud horse
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby diakka » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:00 am

yamari wrote:yah sure some do as a i mentioned but the other 80% on them dont need them and i am being very conservative by not saying 98% dont need them.

It might be true that antidepressants are overperscribed, but the problem with sweeping statements like this are that the stigma of depression will discourage those who really do need medication to not get it. It's easy for armchair psychiatrists who have never experienced it to just tell you to tough it out and you don't need that stuff. Great advice considering that when you have depression, you often don't have the motivation to change your circumstances and it becomes a viscious circle. People who have severe depression will hear this kind stuff all the time from people who think they know it all but have never been there themselves. Hope you don't get too sad when your kid hangs himself in the bathroom after you told him not to take the antidepressants his doctor prescribed.
diakka
Seeker
Seeker

Postby x-box » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:24 am

tfl100 wrote:Hi,

I have searched everywhere for this including these forums but have found so much conflicting info. Does anyone conclusively know if certain antidepressants (specifically sertraline and xanax/prozac) can be purchased over the counter here in china. Personally my experience is no, but so many people say it is possible.

I have to make it clear that I have a prescription for the meds from home, and even have been prescribed here in China, but it seems they will only do one weeks worth at a time which is incredibly annoying for obvious reasons.

Does anyone have any experience in getting anti-depressants here, or has anyone managed to get them sent from home or alternatively OTC, or through a foreign script to bypass the whole '1 week only' rule?

Any help would be really appreciated, especially if anyone can point out specific pharmacies in Shanghai that could help. :? Thanks

The equivalent of OTC psychopharmaca in shanghai is called
HAPPY HOUR
x-box

Sun god

FooJay
FooJay

Mood: Cool

Postby gino » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:29 am

My guess would be that one cannot get them OTC. According to a TV documentary roughly 10% of China's population has a mental health issue of which half need medication and stationary treatment. The 10% applies probably to any country.

What makes it worse in China is the lack hospitals. Currently there are three under construction in Beijing to provide 15.000 beds. OTC meds would be actually very helpful.
See the blind man shooting at the world...Bullets flying taking toll" by Deep Purple -Child in Time-
gino
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby johnny_tropicana » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:12 am

diakka wrote:
yamari wrote:yah sure some do as a i mentioned but the other 80% on them dont need them and i am being very conservative by not saying 98% dont need them.

It might be true that antidepressants are overperscribed, but the problem with sweeping statements like this are that the stigma of depression will discourage those who really do need medication to not get it. It's easy for armchair psychiatrists who have never experienced it to just tell you to tough it out and you don't need that stuff. Great advice considering that when you have depression, you often don't have the motivation to change your circumstances and it becomes a viscious circle. People who have severe depression will hear this kind stuff all the time from people who think they know it all but have never been there themselves. Hope you don't get too sad when your kid hangs himself in the bathroom after you told him not to take the antidepressants his doctor prescribed.

The problem I see is the over-prescribing of drugs in particular with children.
By starting them in their youth, my belief is that one is legitimizing the need for drugs
to solve every issue that one is bound to encounter throughout ones life.
Girlfriend left? Take a pill. Friend moved? Take a pill. Cannot sit still in class?
Take a pill. I am aware that on occasion medications are required. It is my belief after
years of dealing with such situations as a police officer is that they are far fewer than
is currently found necessary. Surprisingly, the majority of teen suicides I witnessed
were of kids whose parents simply did not find time for them, had no relationship with
them. These were the parents who gave their children everything except attention.
And when the child acted out, these were the children who were medicated. Because
the parents "KNEW" they could not be the blame, they had given their children everything.
Your reaction "hope you don't get too sad when your kid hangs himself" tells me more
about you than any other thing you can write. Medication is not the end all be all.
A supportive environment would cure mare than any mountain of meds will ever do.
We were meant to live for so much more
Have we lost ourselves?
johnny_tropicana
Veejay
Veejay

Mood: Tired
Location: Shanghai, Kalamay, Beijing, Chicago...What day is this?

Postby grass mud horse » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:33 pm

the question that was asked is are "Antidepressants in China, OTC?"

no-one asked u ur opinion about them.

although technically not "legally" available without a prescription in china 99% of the pharmacies will sell them to u but the problem is that they dont stock them so most pharmacies will have to order them for u.
grass mud horse
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby ElGatoNegro » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:09 pm

Antidepressents are legal and available in China but usually with doctors prescription. Parkway medical stocks antidepressents. They can also special order meds if needed.

There is also several local hospitals that probably have psychiatric meds.

Not sure if OTC makes anything in this area since most psychiatric meds are owned by medicine manufacturers.
"I only do this for money, send back to baba mama so they can buy 67-inch TV to hang on concrete wall."
prego2000 12 Dec 2013
ElGatoNegro
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Cool

Postby Longjob » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:30 pm

News_by_KKO wrote:Antidepressents are legal and available in China but usually with doctors prescription. Parkway medical stocks antidepressents. They can also special order meds if needed.

There is also several local hospitals that probably have psychiatric meds.

Not sure if OTC makes anything in this area since most psychiatric meds are owned by medicine manufacturers.

OTC = Over The Counter, not a manufacturer!
Longjob

Cocky again

PopStar
PopStar

Mood: Scream

Postby leetanya » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 am

HaroldTheIronmonger wrote:No.

Get your prescription at the Shanghai Mental Health Hospital.

Really, such a hospital exist. Can anyone tell me the address. I've been hearing voices since hot summer arrived...
I wan THAT Bra she's wearing..., WITH or WITHOUT her !!!! ::kiss:: L ::kiss:: R
leetanya

Purrrrrrr

Low Seater
Low Seater

Return to Health Care