Baggage Fascism

Baggage Fascism

Postby The Gent » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Has anyone experienced extreme application of weight rules on airlines recently?

I traveled back to Shanghai recently from Manchester (UK) with Finnair, the allowance is only 23kg.

We knew that we were pretty close to the limits and we have one of these (most likely badly calibrated and not very accurate) baggage scale things. We were between 24kg and 25kg on the bags and then stuffed us for heavy bag charge which was 75 EUR a time.

Then they asked to weigh our hand luggage I have never ever seen this before. I thought that they were totally **** us over as I was getting a bit snippy at the time, but the people after us had their hand luggage weighed as well. Sods law, it was over as I was taking my camera and lenses. Then we had to do the embarrasing open your cases in front of everyone, and the remaining bag for check in now attracted excess baggage fees.

When quizzed the lady at the check in desk regarding common sense she vacantly remarked 'well thats what the computer says'. Computer says no.

We were over weight fair enough, but given that we were not flying Ryanair or Easyjet or the like I thought that there would be some common sense / flexibility on these rules but it would appear not.

Anyone else had these types of issues, is it a trend throughout the industry, or did I just get a grumpy bint?
The Gent
Talker
Talker

Re: Baggage Fascism

Postby MadViv » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Yes.

I had two pieces to check in when I moved to SH. Flew United out of DCA (Washington, D.C.). The first thing the lady said to me, before even looking at my passport/PNR, was that I'd have to pay a fee of USD75 for the extra bag. I had already put one bag on the scale so she added that I'd have to pay extra for the overweight as well.

Uh-huhn. Okay. Look at my flucking reservation, LADY. Elite status, WHUT. :party:: :party:: :party::
MadViv
PopStar
PopStar

Postby tesibria » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:14 am

MadViv wrote:Yes.

I had two pieces to check in when I moved to SH. Flew United out of DCA (Washington, D.C.). The first thing the lady said to me, before even looking at my passport/PNR, was that I'd have to pay a fee of USD75 for the extra bag. I had already put one bag on the scale so she added that I'd have to pay extra for the overweight as well.

Uh-huhn. Okay. Look at my flucking reservation, LADY. Elite status, WHUT. :party:: :party:: :party::

The United excess baggage (or excess weight) fee is now between $100 and $200.
The only "saving grace' is that once you hit Gold Premier, you get up to 3 bags up to 70 lbs "free."
何翠琳
“The best thing you can possibly do with your life is to tackle the *** out of it.” ...“We're all going to die, Johnny. Hit the iron bell like it's dinnertime.” (Cheryl Strayed)
tesibria
Barker
Barker

Postby LaoDan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:40 am

I just got back from the US flying United. I used one of those automated check-in machines, it asked me if I had any luggage over 50lbs, I checked no, even though I had one that was 55lbs. Also, I loaded up my carryon and gate checked it for free.

The new baggage rules do suck though!
Quantum spacetime more like foam rubber than beer foam
LaoDan
Ranter
Ranter

Mood: Happy

Postby shanghaiceltic » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:16 am

Most airlines are using excess baggage as a revenue earner these days. Vermin...sorry Virgin are one of the worst.
Being PC is like trying to pick up a dog turd by the clean end...
shanghaiceltic
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby MadViv » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:38 am

LaoDan wrote:Also, I loaded up my carryon and gate checked it for free.

This used to be my m.o. when I traveled quite a bit domestically within the US. Now, they will charge you at the gate; tho, it's less likely when you fly internationally. Fluckers.
MadViv
PopStar
PopStar

Postby Chavster » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:12 am

Personally I don't think they are nearly fascist enough. The whole baggage scene in general is one of the biggest annoyances in air travel. Where are you going that you need to bring crates of crap with you? Unless you are flying into the bushlands of Malawi or a remote island in the Fiji archipelago you know they have STUFF there right? Or just pay the entirely reasonable shipping fees to send your stuff wherever you are going. Boarding and unloading takes about 10 times longer than it should because everyone insists on dragging bags and bags of useless stuff into the cabin to avoid fees or because they think they can short-cut the baggage claim. It's ridiculous. Ideally everyone who flies should be issued a paper jumpsuit to fly in like the ones you get in hospitals and a 12x12 poly bag to put their oh-so-precious crap in. That's it. You show up with anything else then f-off until you can learn to follow the rules.
Last edited by Chavster on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Once, it was I who stood in the big, cold schoolroom, a hot crumpet burning my cheeks with shame. Since that day, I have been busy every hour God sent, working to become Prime Minister and fight sloth and privilege wherever I found it."

- Pitt the Younger
Chavster
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby doth » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:17 am

Agree chavster.

I hate it when people wandering around, looking for a overhead place for their oversize trooleys and finally squeezing it onto my jacket...

Is the same annoyance as all the hairy craps and so on...
doth
Barker
Barker

Postby shanghaiceltic » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:56 am

The hand luggage thing is one area where I totaly agree that controls are needed. On a recent flight to Shanghai a guy was taking my single brief case out so he could get his overweight trolley in...I told him where he could put his luggage.
Being PC is like trying to pick up a dog turd by the clean end...
shanghaiceltic
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby MadViv » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm surprised. I find that >50% of China domestic travelers (on any given flight) are checking their luggage as opposed to <20% on US domestic flights.
MadViv
PopStar
PopStar

Postby woshiweideren » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Yes and simply something to deal with - the smaller allotment on Asian flights.

As far as flying in the USA, just don't. No pillow, no food, no blanket, no free anything. $10 sandwiches for sale and they will swipe your cc in the aisle but to be served a meal on a cross continent trip? Not going to happen.

If you are a foreign national, I recommend that you do not ever transit the USA even if you can save a large sum on your airfare, which you can. The time to visit America (before 2001) has passed. Go to Canada or Mexico instead.

The TSA will treat you as if you are a criminal. The stories are horrific and they continue to amass.
woshiweideren
Rocker
Rocker

Postby p1atl10 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:16 am

^ Luckily for us in the US, unless you are a citizen of the 37 countries recognized for the Visa Waiver Program, you cannot transit in the US without at least a B Visa.

I will not argue that air travel in the US has gone downhill in the last decade or so, but it is not all that bad.
- Blankets and pillows...they have them. Not many....but be quick to ask when boarding.
- Meals. Nope. But I would rather pay USD$8.49 for the Tapas Snack package on UAL and have something edible then the mystery meat and overcooked rice on a Chinese carrier. Or what used to pass as a meal when US carriers did provide one!
- TSA. No worse than security checks in a Chinese airport.

But even given the decline in service in the US domestic flights...at least you can be assured that 95% of the time you will take off and arrive on time.

Try that in China! :shock:

Back to the topic...

Baggage Facism? Now that airlines see overweight checked bags and carry-on bags as a revenue stream, methinks it will only get worse.
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.....Dave Barry
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby ZaphodB » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:16 am

It is unfair that the fat Amelikan kant in front of me can sneak 20 kg of body fat through for free while I have to pay extra for 5 kg of knocked off brand watches.
"Hey Baby! I'm from another planet. Wanna see my spaceship?"

"Agreeable chinese women are hard to get to know for you because you're a douchebag." - hypochondriasis, 2013.
ZaphodB

Only wants to be a

LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Mood: Cool

Postby woshiweideren » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:47 am

p1atl10 wrote:^ Luckily for us in the US, unless you are a citizen of the 37 countries recognized for the Visa Waiver Program, you cannot transit in the US without at least a B Visa.

Not true as even those in the 37 countries must file information with ESTA - the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. It requires your passport and credit card. IOW, your name and address and identity information back home.

It's not really a 'visa', but it is in all but name.

p1atl10 wrote: TSA. No worse than security checks in a Chinese airport..

At least in China I get to keep my shoes and belt on.

Chinese airports, and all others globally with int'l travel, have to follow those procedures or American carriers won't let the passengers embark or the aircraft land. This, too, is the fault of the Americans as they forced the planet to submit to this nonsense.

ZaphodB wrote:It is unfair that the fat Amelikan kant in front of me can sneak 20 kg of body fat through for free while I have to pay extra for 5 kg of knocked off brand watches.

It's more like 40kg's of excess body fat for the average American gal.
woshiweideren
Rocker
Rocker

Postby runningmom » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:32 pm

ZaphodB wrote:It is unfair that the fat Amelikan kant in front of me can sneak 20 kg of body fat through for free while I have to pay extra for 5 kg of knocked off brand watches.

I agree, but think you're being generous with that weight.
runningmom
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby Stef B » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:42 pm

haha- I made a quick hop from UK to Czech Republic last week- bought ticket at airport and jumped on next plane, Ryan air- cheap?

ticket 160pounds- 1 bag 100 pounds!!! what? then at check in said im 2kg over and they wanted an extra 40pounds- pft-

then flew Prague to shanghai few days later, got my luggage to find the plastic stop/stand thing on the bottom broken off, and one wheel wonkey- they must have given a good bash with something.
Stef B
Raver
Raver

Mood: Happy

Return to Shanghai Open Chat