Banking & Credit

Bank of East Asia/BEA

Postby ATP » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:32 am

Is any member here able to inform me if Bank of East Asia still operates in Shanghai/China? I have rung several Shanghai branches, and getting repeat recordings or the like. Do they have an operating "hotline/call centre?".

Thanks.
"Going to Mcdonald's for a salad is like going to a prostitute for a hug."

(reader comment to article illustrating the food giant's "clever PR tactics" that "out-manoeuvre" its critics).
ATP
Fire-eater
Fire-eater
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Re: Bank of East Asia/BEA

Postby McH0 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:45 am

ATP wrote:Is any member here able to inform me if Bank of East Asia still operates in Shanghai/China? I have rung several Shanghai branches, and getting repeat recordings or the like. Do they have an operating "hotline/call centre?".

Thanks.


Yes, Bank of East Asia is still alive and kicking. (800) 830-3811.

They take their holidays seriously and are currently closed.
"我是主席的一条狗,主席要我咬谁就咬谁。"- 江青
McH0
Talker
Talker
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:47 am
Location: Milltown

China Construction Bank credit card-informing of deposit?

Postby ATP » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:00 am

For a number of years now, when I have made a payment to my China Construction Bank credit card
(mostly an RMB payment for an item purchased in USD), the process has generally been along the following:

i) ring the credit card centre to verify amount owing & obtain the bank's exchange rate
ii) go to bank & make deposit
iii) ring credit card centre & inform that payment has been made.

Failure to ring the centre after payment has been made results in me being fined a small amount, and
I have been.

To the members here who are able to make overseas purchases on their locally-issued credit cards--do you have to undertake this procedure as well? Is this standard procedure? For CCB,& other local banks as well??
"Going to Mcdonald's for a salad is like going to a prostitute for a hug."

(reader comment to article illustrating the food giant's "clever PR tactics" that "out-manoeuvre" its critics).
ATP
Fire-eater
Fire-eater
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 3:10 pm

chinese/china bank issued credit cards-int'l network use

Postby ATP » Tue May 01, 2012 4:04 pm

I rang my China Construction Bank call centre, and enquired about which countries permit use of Chinese bank-issued credit cards??

The girl in the call centre told me that (she didn't have) there was no list available, but that UnionPay and Visa are accepted "all over the world". Really??

Did an internet search on "UnionPay" and found a wikipedia entry, which lists its current international (& domestic) network. Might be useful to others here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_UnionPay
"Going to Mcdonald's for a salad is like going to a prostitute for a hug."

(reader comment to article illustrating the food giant's "clever PR tactics" that "out-manoeuvre" its critics).
ATP
Fire-eater
Fire-eater
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Re: Banking & Credit

Postby caz73 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Anyone know if I can transfer rmb to a uk account I'm expat wit work permit but it all seemed v difficult/impossible
caz73
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Banking & Credit

Postby CatererGoodman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:36 am

^ You can't move RMB overseas. First you must exchange to another currency, then move that currency home (or to wherever).

You can search some threads on this message board or visit our blog for a summary of the options.

http://www.chinaexpatmoney.com/en/item/how-to-move-money-overseas
User avatar
CatererGoodman
Seeker
Seeker
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Banking & Credit

Postby monalisalee » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 am

I believe RMB is not acceptable to banks at home.

Just out of interest, I am about to go back to N.Z, and it seems the cheapest way, (for me), will be to withdraw about 700,000 RMB (from sale of my apartment), and take it out in US $'s, then carry into N.Z
as personal luggage. There is NO limit, but a form must be filled out.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
User avatar
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty
 
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 6:03 pm

Re: Banking & Credit

Postby adel_123 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:41 pm

I have already gone through the process of converting RMB to US and now need to move a large amount of it overseas..What is the best way to do this If I have physical US currency? I was hoping there was an easy option of Internet bank transfers or even going to a Bank Branch and somehow sending it??? Or is this not possible
adel_123
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: Banking & Credit

Postby monalisalee » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Hmm. Old thread, but probably nothing has changed.
You could carry in your luggage, if the Country you are going to allows no limit, but declare it.
Safer way would be to deposit in say, ICBC, then wire it to a bank account in the destination country.
There would be a charge, but not much, as is only an electronic transfer. Ask the bank how much?
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
User avatar
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty
 
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 6:03 pm

Re: China Construction Bank credit card-informing of deposit

Postby actuary » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:48 pm

ATP wrote:For a number of years now, when I have made a payment to my China Construction Bank credit card
(mostly an RMB payment for an item purchased in USD), the process has generally been along the following:

i) ring the credit card centre to verify amount owing & obtain the bank's exchange rate
ii) go to bank & make deposit
iii) ring credit card centre & inform that payment has been made.

Failure to ring the centre after payment has been made results in me being fined a small amount, and
I have been.

To the members here who are able to make overseas purchases on their locally-issued credit cards--do you have to undertake this procedure as well? Is this standard procedure? For CCB,& other local banks as well??

An expat with no credit card from home country?
A: Yes, that is why called Ex-pat :|
actuary
Lurker
Lurker
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:00 pm

Re: Banking & Credit

Postby monalisalee » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 am

I have never had, or needed a credit card from my home country. I have a Debit Card from my home country, and also a local one, and they have worked fine for 10 years, (here). I can buy on-line, shopping, whatever, and no risk of over spending.
So why the big deal?
Use the KISS syndrome.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
User avatar
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty
 
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 6:03 pm

Re: Banking & Credit

Postby ppzinchina » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:35 pm

HOW ?? how to get a pre paid credit card or any type of CC here so I can even pay for the membership here .. I dont have any of my CCs from Canada anymore
ppzinchina
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: Banking & Credit

Postby LucyLez » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:39 pm

adel_123 wrote:I have already gone through the process of converting RMB to US and now need to move a large amount of it overseas..What is the best way to do this If I have physical US currency? I was hoping there was an easy option of Internet bank transfers or even going to a Bank Branch and somehow sending it??? Or is this not possible


Remote capture deposit.

Very fast and very low fee.
LucyLez
Talker
Talker
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: Banking & Credit

Postby kianlim » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Is there ICBC Bank located in Huaihai Lu area in Shanghai that is opens on Saturday?
kianlim
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: Banking & Credit e commerance Yu ebao

Postby ststeven007 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:24 pm

e-commerance Yu ebao
Postby ststeven007 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Does anyone have information about alibaba e- commerce and if expats can invest and how to do.
ststeven007
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:21 am

Previous

Return to Banking, Finance & Investments

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests