Bringing Fake LV bags past US customs

Bringing Fake LV bags past US customs

Postby ShiMaiDe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:49 am

I bought 2 LV bags that are 1:1 quality and can pass for real. My question is, I want to keep the fake tags on it and keep it in the wrapping as I am giving these as gifts.

1) If I say they are fake, they will be confiscated? (or at least 1 since Im allowed 1 bag?)
2) If Im asked by customs and I claim they are real dont I have to provide receipts?

Any tips on getting these past customs? Can't I wrap them in wrapping paper as gifts so they don't open it (the ol' gift trick)
Any advice for how to pack these so I'm not questioned? Unfortunately I'm a dude so I can't put it into use and wear it past customs.
ShiMaiDe
Seeker
Seeker

Postby tihZ_hO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:46 am

Sorry, there are no fake LV bags that can pass for real.

There are no tips, only anecdotal evidence and personal experiences that people have. You might as well ask what to do if I you get stopped by a cop for speeding.

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

Mood: Cool

Postby Renovator » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:03 am

What I have done in the past is just write on my declaration gifts and put a $ value. As long as the dollar value is reasonable they have never questioned if I had 1 or 2 of the same item.

Technically, you are only allowed 1 so declaring 2 identical bags sends up a red flag and your chances of having 1 confiscated is much greater than just declaring gifts and a total $ value for all your gifts. You do have to be prepared to lose one of the bags, but in most cases they will not care as it is the holiday season and they are really after people bringing multiple of the same item into the US for re-sale.

They also tend to be sympathetic especially at this time of year to a story that makes sense such as you have 2 daughters who asked you for these and you would never hear the end of it by giving one to just one of the daughters. So even if you get caught, tell them your story and you still have a pretty good chance that they will not hassle you.

They are really quite good judges of character at US customs and cutting you some slack on the one hand if you are honest with them and knowing if you are just lying and bringing items in for re-sale or if they will really be for gifts.
Renovator
Veejay
Veejay

Postby caso » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:14 am

tihZ_hO wrote:Sorry, there are no fake LV bags that can pass for real.

totally agree.two years ago a friend of mine tried to cross the custom in Milan...he was 100% sure that his fake Gucci was not possible to notice as not original. I think that at the custom they are still laughing...
caso
Veejay
Veejay

Postby skaaght » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:26 am

FYI - the actual law.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacat ... edArticles

if you were traveling with a friend....
skaaght
Talker
Talker

Postby ShiMaiDe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:43 am

Renovator wrote:What I have done in the past is just write on my declaration gifts and put a $ value. As long as the dollar value is reasonable they have never questioned if I had 1 or 2 of the same item.

Technically, you are only allowed 1 so declaring 2 identical bags sends up a red flag and your chances of having 1 confiscated is much greater than just declaring gifts and a total $ value for all your gifts. You do have to be prepared to lose one of the bags, but in most cases they will not care as it is the holiday season and they are really after people bringing multiple of the same item into the US for re-sale.

They also tend to be sympathetic especially at this time of year to a story that makes sense such as you have 2 daughters who asked you for these and you would never hear the end of it by giving one to just one of the daughters. So even if you get caught, tell them your story and you still have a pretty good chance that they will not hassle you.

They are really quite good judges of character at US customs and cutting you some slack on the one hand if you are honest with them and knowing if you are just lying and bringing items in for re-sale or if they will really be for gifts.

What do you mean is 'reasonable' on the declaration form? So you're saying I should declare them for their worth as if they were real? Wouldn't that be like bringing in $3000 of luxury goods which I can be taxed on? The bags arent identical in fact very much different in appearance.
ShiMaiDe
Seeker
Seeker

Postby ShiMaiDe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:48 am

caso wrote:

totally agree.two years ago a friend of mine tried to cross the custom in Milan...he was 100% sure that his fake Gucci was not possible to notice as not original. I think that at the custom they are still laughing...

I disagree. While 99% of fakes out there are not even trying to pass for real, you can buy identical replicas if you know what to look for. If you're involved in manufacturing in China at all, you'll know the Chinese can't design anything by themselves but can copy anything perfectly. Their is no secret PVC or leather or brass or zipper that only LV or Gucci has access too. The same weight and thickness can be found for all the parts its just that 1 was approved by Mr. Louie, the other approved by Mr. Wang.
ShiMaiDe
Seeker
Seeker

Postby caso » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:03 am

I assume you know more then me, I am not in manufacturing and that friend of mine is not too. thank you for the explanation!
caso
Veejay
Veejay

Postby HiBeverly » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:52 am

ShiMaiDe Guarantee you that if I saw your bags, I can tell you in an instant if they're fake or real. There is no such thing as an "exact replica", though many people like convincing themselves there is.

Perhaps it can fool the majority of the population or people that don't know much about the brand, but once someone with knowledgable of the brand turns their eyes on the fake - it's spotted in an instant.
HiBeverly
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby root » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:04 am

First, Missbeverly should know about Ebay's fines paid to LV for selling fake bags:
http://en.kioskea.net/news/13732-ebay-f ... ods-online

Second, if any beggar in the city's buses handle LV bag - i would not buy it for my wife, for sure.

Third, why don't buy one real branded thing in discounter or due discount time ?
root
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby caso » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:05 am

according to her picture, I prefer to agree with missbeverly!!
caso
Veejay
Veejay

Postby SnappySammy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:17 am

ShiMaiDe wrote:
caso wrote:

I disagree. While 99% of fakes out there are not even trying to pass for real, you can buy identical replicas if you know what to look for. If you're involved in manufacturing in China at all, you'll know the Chinese can't design anything by themselves but can copy anything perfectly. Their is no secret PVC or leather or brass or zipper that only LV or Gucci has access too. The same weight and thickness can be found for all the parts its just that 1 was approved by Mr. Louie, the other approved by Mr. Wang.[/quot

Sorry you're wrong..a fake is a fake and US Customs can tell a fake or knock off....I don't think you can legally bring anything that is counterfeit into US....
How I have traveled from US to China over 100 times.....I have never had my luggage checked by any customs....either US or China....Just pack them in your luggage and forget about them...Nobody will bother you..
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.....
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby fWerrF » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:12 pm

1) There is no "real" replica, if you know where to look, you can always tell a fake from a real.

2) Can US Customs inspectors tell fake from real? I highly doubt it. They are not trained in luxury goods infringement. If they are 1/2 smart, they won't work at the US Customs.

3) I say you just leave it in luggage, and do not declare anything. Declaring something on the forum, increase the chance of checking your luggage.
fWerrF
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby ShiMaiDe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:15 pm

missbeverly wrote:ShiMaiDe Guarantee you that if I saw your bags, I can tell you in an instant if they're fake or real. There is no such thing as an "exact replica", though many people like convincing themselves there is.

Perhaps it can fool the majority of the population or people that don't know much about the brand, but once someone with knowledgable of the brand turns their eyes on the fake - it's spotted in an instant.

Ok. Well the post was really more about customs and not the authenticity of the bag. Your post is interesting in a way because it shows the thinking of brand loyal consumers rather than someone in manufacturing.

The consumers mind is their is an "LV Fabric" factory that solely produces LV material, has LV's on the factory door, and there is a secret formula like Coke sworn to secrecy. Wrong. The same grade material can be purchased, the same zipper can be purchased, the depth of the logo stamped into the material can be measured and recreated to the same depth..etc..The same thickness/pantone thread can be used, and the same attention to stitching and placement of the material can me made. If you want to recreate an LV bag, or any other consumer good- in 2009, I am sorry to say there isn't much that can't be figured out in less than a day (unless its chemically related..might take longer)

Why are there so many bad fakes out there then? Because LV does use a more expensive grade of material and have characteristics of it's own that need to be matched. Even the fake manufacturers will undercut each other trying to make it LOOK like the real thing but not feel like it. Or maybe 1 step up they will make it look and feel like it, but it's still a lesser grade material. Then 1 step up there are manufacturers replicating to the exact spec with the exact material.

If you look at a "good fake" you can find faults and claim you know it's not a real bag, but if you look at a real bag you can find faults and if I told you it was fake, you'd believe it as well. (i.e. inconsistencies in stitching)

Point of the story is, maybe the bag I bought is a terrible fake and you could tell in an instant, but just as you warn not to convince yourself a fake can easily be spotted by experts, I'd argue just as much that anything can and IS being copied to the 'real' thing. It's just a matter of how authentic they want to replicate, and if there is demand at that price.

In fact I'd challenge anyone here to think of some brands that can't successfully be copied (and I dont mean in Marketing, sales, etc) I mean just from it's composition. Any thoughts?
ShiMaiDe
Seeker
Seeker

Postby fWerrF » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:30 pm

ShiMaiDe wrote: Why are there so many bad fakes out there then? Because LV does use a more expensive grade of material and have characteristics of it's own that need to be matched. Even the fake manufacturers will undercut each other trying to make it LOOK like the real thing but not feel like it. Or maybe 1 step up they will make it look and feel like it, but it's still a lesser grade material. Then 1 step up there are manufacturers replicating to the exact spec with the exact material.

Well that's probably the point.
Even if in theory you are able to make exact duplicate of a LV bag, the cost is not going to be cheap. That's why they do not do that.
fWerrF
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby tihZ_hO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:15 pm

ShiMaiDe wrote:
caso wrote:

I disagree. While 99% of fakes out there are not even trying to pass for real, you can buy identical replicas if you know what to look for. If you're involved in manufacturing in China at all, you'll know the Chinese can't design anything by themselves but can copy anything perfectly. Their is no secret PVC or leather or brass or zipper that only LV or Gucci has access too. The same weight and thickness can be found for all the parts its just that 1 was approved by Mr. Louie, the other approved by Mr. Wang.

Well Polyurethane synthetic leather which is what the bags are made of. While PU leather can be of such a high quality it can replicate natural leather but the cost is high which negates the purpose of the fake bags - to be cheap and high profit (no one returns a fake bag for quality problems). Therefore no one wastes time manufacturing high quality leather destined for fake ****.

You listen to Miss Beverly!!

missbeverly wrote:ShiMaiDe Guarantee you that if I saw your bags, I can tell you in an instant if they're fake or real. There is no such thing as an "exact replica", though many people like convincing themselves there is.

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

Postby swisscook » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:19 pm

There is nothing magic about anything made by people.

Totally unrelated, but I think the one thing made by people that could pass as magic is food.

No matter how skilled you are, how many years you worked with a chef or no matter how many times you eaten his food - you will never be able to replicate "his" dish. Not even with a recipe.

So yeah, I think food is the one thing you cannot copy.
swisscook
Ranter
Ranter

Postby tihZ_hO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:19 pm

leidelaohu wrote:
fWerrF wrote:Even if in theory you are able to make exact duplicate of a LV bag, the cost is not going to be cheap. That's why they do not do that.

No, he's right, fW. 95% of the cost of "luxury" goods is the advertising. Once upon a time they were small outfits making really good quality pieces but then the Marketing Groups figured out how to make a buck off the reputations. Now half the **** is probably actually made in Vietnam.

One reason I am sure of this is that for thirty years I made fakes. Not fraudulent fakes but replacement parts for vintage automobiles. I know of at least one job I did that is in a museum in England. There is nothing magic about anything made by people.

Sure but for one second do you think Chinese manufactures are THAT concerned to make a 100% perfect fake LV bag? Right!

Fake car parts, oil filters, brake pads, YES, that is different.

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

Postby tihZ_hO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:21 pm

We will argue this forever..........................

Is this the right forum for an argument?

I told you once

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

Postby tihZ_hO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:57 pm

leidelaohu wrote:You're missing one point : the profit on "luxury" crap is not determined by normal factors. There is no way on earth that any of that **** is worth the money they charge. The profits are enormous.

Which means that it's more than possible to duplicate the goods for much much less and still make a huge profit.

Luckily, most fakers are not that concerned about making anything better than "good enough from ten yards" but it would not be difficult to do a better job if they really wanted and still make a bundle. I would not be surprised to find that half of Gucci's products come from Dongguan already.

No I got the point! :D The cost is in the name not in the product - though the product must still be quality. One only needs to look at the copy DVDs to see how much is paid for the name.

It's just as you said the fakers aren't concerned with making a perfect copy. The zipper or clasp might come from another similar bag but hey, close enough for a fake.

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

Postby shanghailuv » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:06 pm

What?????? I have never seen the US customs checking your luggage that way....

They do not even bother to look at the documents seriously.....
shanghailuv
Rocker
Rocker

Postby tihZ_hO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:19 pm

FUD

Fear Uncertainty & Doubt

There only needs to be that one time! haha

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

Postby Shangstar » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:25 pm

I thought there were Grade A copies that come out of the same factory as the real ones. They just churn out a few more when nobody's looking. These are the genuien fakes. The others are counterfeit fakes and harm the genuine fake industry.
The Vatican is against surrogate mothers. Good thing they didn't have that rule when Jesus was born.
Shangstar
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby tihZ_hO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Shangstar wrote:I thought there were Grade A copies that come out of the same factory as the real ones. They just churn out a few more when nobody's looking. These are the genuine fakes. The others are counterfeit fakes and harm the genuine fake industry.

That's what people think. Do you think that Gucci and LV are that dumb?

We send our own people to factories to monitor the manufacturing from start to finish only for Quality Control not for security. If we do that imagine what someone who is concerned about security would do. Also keep in mind that if these genuine fakes hit the market this would shine the spotlight onto the manufacturer who could lose their contract - more money is lost there.

This is not to say that SOME genuine fakes do make it out, but as a regular occurrence? I would say not.

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

Postby miss_t » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Why do you think you will even be stopped??? Which airport are you going in to? I've done my fair share of strolling past US customs and i think they'd be far more concerned if you had local delicacies in your suitcase than a couple of knock of LV's!!!

I agree that writing something on the form just gives them a reason to look. You never know, they might not have stopped someone for a while, need to fill a quota, you've declared something so they might think hey ho lets check it out.

I've only skim read the law posted above, you've said the bags aren't identical so i wouldn't even worry about it!!!

Good luck!
miss_t
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Chavster » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:16 pm

There are varying quality levels and fakes destined for all kinds of different markets that can be found all over Asia. They run from pretty obvious crap to identical copies. Anyone who says they can immediately spot a fake is deluded. Yes, you can identify xiangyang market and other tourist trap stuff without too much difficulty. But high-quality fakes abound and are almost impossible to tell from the real thing without hours of analysis.

It's expensive to manufacture the premium stuff/real stuff because it is good quality. But as others have pointed out. (And really it's just painful that it needs to be re-hashed) 90 percent of the luxury goods price is in brand cachet and perceived value, not actual costs. But you better believe there is a big market for this stuff. Celine Dione anyone?

All the big brand names have an established and significant presence in Asia. They've been working and selling here for years and years and ripping off everyone blind in the process. The biggest market for this junk is now China. You can't manufacture and sell on a large scale without your stuff making its way into the local market. I don't care how many guards, inspectors whatever.... you have working for you. In the end - these guys rely on locals to make, design, distribute their product. And that knowledge filters its way around over the years. To some extant, LV, Moet etc... probably encourage the faking in order to polish the turd of their brand's perceived value.

But remember, they and anyone else who lives off the industry have a strong vested interest in denying the myth that ANY of their actual product could possibly find its way into the black market. It's all poor quality knockoffs right?

Pfffft.... Anyone with half a brain cell can find their way to outlets in Guangdong pretty easily.
" Once, it was I who stood in the big, cold schoolroom, a hot crumpet burning my cheeks with shame. Since that day, I have been busy every hour God sent, working to become Prime Minister and fight sloth and privilege wherever I found it."

- Pitt the Younger
Chavster
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby tihZ_hO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:17 pm

leidelaohu wrote:The Apple laptops are all made in Suzhou. Probably some other Apple products also. The place is like Alcatraz, they probably have killer guard dogs inside and patrol the grounds with AK-47's. Pretty sure they have tower guards with sharpshooter badges, too.

Security is tight.

HAHA, Right! I once posted that a Japanese manufacture "beamed" over a factory to China, everything is Japanese except for the ground it sits on and NO Chinese are allowed past the Japanese security guards. This and the Apple plant says it all about China nicely doesn't it?

leidelaohu wrote:
tihZ_hO wrote:The cost is in the name not in the product - though the product must still be quality.

You know, Shitsky ... that says a lot about the people who buy that stuff, doesn't it ?

Sure does and the people wanting to pose with the fakes as well.

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

Postby fWerrF » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:17 pm

Shangstar wrote:I thought there were Grade A copies that come out of the same factory as the real ones. They just churn out a few more when nobody's looking. These are the genuien fakes. The others are counterfeit fakes and harm the genuine fake industry.

nike? maayyyybe.
LV, chanel, hermes? no way.
fWerrF
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby fWerrF » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:19 pm

leidelaohu wrote: The Apple laptops are all made in Suzhou. Probably some other Apple products also.

yep.
bought a macbook air last year, was very surprised it was shipped straight from shanghai by DHL.
fWerrF
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby SnappySammy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:22 pm

fWerrF wrote:1)

2) Can US Customs inspectors tell fake from real? I highly doubt it. They are not trained in luxury goods infringement. If they are 1/2 smart, they won't work at the US Customs.

3).

Don't doubt it....They have people who are trained "IN LUXURY GOODS INFRINGEMENT"

At the present time they are more concerned about Fake Luxury Goods that are smuggled in IN Containers not in individuals luggage.
I Have never seen anyone inspected or checked for Fake Goods coming from China....THey have different mandates at different times...AT THE PRESENT TIME US CUSTOMS ARE TOLD NOT TO BUST BALLS ON US CITIZENS RETURNING FROM PRC.....THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR ROLEX.....YEARS AGO WHEN RETURNING FROM HONG KONG, THEY WOULD INSPECT EVERYTHING LOOK FOR RECEIPTS AND CONFISCATE ALL KNOCK OFFS...
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Next

Return to Shanghai Open Chat