Buying a used car in Shanghai?

Buying a used car in Shanghai?

Postby GibsonX » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm looking to buy a used car here in Shanghai and wondered if anybody could recommend a second hand car showroom to visit or a website that has used cars listed?

Every car brand seems to have a showroom in Shanghai for new cars but they don't sell second hand cars, so where/how do people buy and sell used cars?
GibsonX
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Buying a used car in Shanghai?

Postby Mister GZPF » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Are you from North America?

Local used car salesmen make used car dealers from your home town look like beacons of ethics and fair business practice.

Is there a particular reason you would rather buy a used car from a Chinese owner who maintained it with the usual Chinese attention to detail rather than buying something new? From time to time there are foreigners here offering to sell used cars. If I were buying used I'd really rather buy from one of them.
Mister GZPF
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Mister GZPF » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:36 pm

GibsonX wrote:I'm looking to buy a used car here in Shanghai and wondered if anybody could recommend a second hand car showroom to visit or a website that has used cars listed?

Every car brand seems to have a showroom in Shanghai for new cars but they don't sell second hand cars, so where/how do people buy and sell used cars?

Sites for used cars:
http://www.hx2car.com/
http://www.aj2auto.com/
http://www.iautos.cn/
http://www.2sc.cn/
http://shanghai.edeng.cn/33/ershouchechushou/
http://shanghai.baixing.com/ershouqiche/
Mister GZPF
Seeker
Seeker

Postby D.ORiGiNAL » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Nice selection Mister GZPF.

You can add : http://sh.58.com/ershouche/

You can check the Buy/Sell section on this forum as well. A guy sells both of his cars right now. They look clean and prices are decent.
D.ORiGiNAL
Rocker
Rocker

Mood: Cool

Postby Mister_happy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:37 pm

There is no big second hand car market here in China. Most Chinese will buy a car and keep it for 10 years or until it no longer passes the yearly inspection. So my car at 225K/120months = 1875rmb/month. No reason why my car will not be in good condition in 2020 befor a recycle it.

In the UK most people will buy a car and keep it for a year or two and trade it in for another new car befor it losses its value. The last car a purchased in the UK was a 1.4 Fiat Panda that had 15000miles on the clock,9 months old/registration date and had been used buy Hertz. Drove it off the forecort for 6995 Pounds and saved about 3000 pounds on the MRP. This option is not available in China, most chinese buy a good car and keep it till it falls apart.
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Veejay
Veejay

Postby Mister GZPF » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Mister_happy wrote:Most Chinese will buy a car and keep it for 10 years or until it no longer passes the yearly inspection.

A check of what's available for sale at the websites posted earlier will show there are plenty of Chinese selling cars way before the 10 year mark. In addition back in 2001 very few Chinese owned cars, there just are not that many Santanas and Audi 100's still around from back then.

As for keeping the car until it falls apart? Consider what you know about the usual Chinese approach to preventative maintenance and repair, and how that might impact how long a car will remain roadworthy.

As D.Original said, you'd do well to consider buying used from an expat.
Mister GZPF
Seeker
Seeker

Postby 1626 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:36 pm

If the workers at any factory are any indication and maintain their cars like they maintain their machines, bikes, mopeds and anything else, I would never consider buying a used car from anyone other than a foreigner. And even then I would be a little worried about how well or rather if they know anything about maintaining a car.

But for the most part, the people on there seem to know what's up..
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Magical_Trevor » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:25 am

Depends on how good you are with cars I suppose. If you are mechanically trained you'll be able to spot poor maintenance and defects before you buy. If you aren't and still want to buy 2nd hand then take somebody who really knows their stuff with you.
Magical_Trevor
Barker
Barker

Postby mh31223 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:33 pm

From Mister
Is there a particular reason you would rather buy a used car from a Chinese owner who maintained it with the usual Chinese attention to detail rather than buying something new?

What do you mean by the "usual chinese attention to detail"? foreigners like you should really go back to where you came from.
mh31223

Postby ElGatoNegro » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:43 pm

mh31223 wrote:
From Mister
Is there a particular reason you would rather buy a used car from a Chinese owner who maintained it with the usual Chinese attention to detail rather than buying something new?

What do you mean by the "usual chinese attention to detail"? foreigners like you should really go back to where you came from.

No one in Mainland China has more then 10 years experience with cars or how to maintain them. Just finding a mechanic is a problem.

And yes people here generaly do not pay attention to details. This is why a chinese car has a 12 month warranty and a Korean, Japanese or American car has a 36 month or longer warranty.

Reality is rough.
"I only do this for money, send back to baba mama so they can buy 67-inch TV to hang on concrete wall."
prego2000 12 Dec 2013
ElGatoNegro
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby scotch » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:33 pm

mh31223 wrote:
From Mister

Why, because he said something that is true? Chinese may have good skills, but attention to detail is not one of them...
scotch
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Mister_happy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:03 am

I would match the VW garage that services my car with any in the UK and I can reduce a car to nuts and bolts and put it back together again without any bits left over. A warranty in the UK was used a selling point many years ago if you can remember the BL POS they use to build(if they were not on strike) compared to a Datsun Y120. To gain market share Datsun(Nisan) gave a 2 year warranty on their cars compared to the other makes of cars. Then to compete the warranty went up to 3 years or 60,000miles.

But have you tried to claim on a warranty in the UK, you have had to have followed the small print which includes having the car serviced at the excat miles and at an approved service center, this cost money.

That reminds me I have 1500km before my next service.
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Veejay
Veejay

Postby ElGatoNegro » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:35 am

Mister_happy wrote:
But have you tried to claim on a warranty in the UK, you have had to have followed the small print which includes having the car serviced at the excat miles and at an approved service center, this cost money.

What are you talking about? Ever own a new car? Every car, truck, motorcycle manufacturer requires the vehicle to be serviced every 5000 klm or 3000 ml at a service center in order to keep the warranty valid. And yes it costs money. Just like the gas you put in the car costs money too....

Or did you think that you just buy the car and drive it and the manufacturer fixes it. Sorry no free lunch.
"I only do this for money, send back to baba mama so they can buy 67-inch TV to hang on concrete wall."
prego2000 12 Dec 2013
ElGatoNegro
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby Mister_happy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:45 am

Like any good money grabbing company, if you do not follow the excat wording of the warranty a car company will try to wiggle out of paying for faults covered by the warrenty.

One new car I did purchase did have the servicing included for the first 12000miles. Which basically on a modern car is the 2 x oil, 3 x oil filter and one set of 4 spark plugs plus some man hours.
Mister_happy
Veejay
Veejay

Postby ElGatoNegro » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 am

Mister_happy wrote:Like any good money grabbing company, if you do not follow the excat wording of the warranty a car company will try to wiggle out of paying for faults covered by the warrenty.

No cheesecake. That is called buisness ...

If you don't maintain the car, bike or truck why should they fix it for free? Use your head. So you think you drive a car for 60,000 klm without changing the engine oil and it blows up then the manufacturer should replace the motor for free?
Sure why not.... And I want free money at the bank.
prego2000 12 Dec 2013
ElGatoNegro
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby lifeinla » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:08 pm

SH Expat.

PM me if anyone is interested in purchasing a used 2007 BMW 5 series.

bmw-523li-available-private-seller-t137735.html
lifeinla
Lurker
Lurker

Postby nazsoccer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi Guys,

After nearly 10 great years in Shanghai, my wife and I are heading back west and we are selling our car. It's a 2007 Mercedes Benz E280 in excellent condition. We never let anyone smoke it and have kept up the leather interior which can still pass for looking brand new.

We bought it straight from the dealership and have all the correct paperwork. We have kept up with maintenance checks religiously and only a week ago passed and renewed the annual inspection. The car has never been in a serious accident (a bike scratch here and there) and we have changed the break pads, brakes and tires recently. We currently have close to 55K kilometers logged (34,000 miles) and have had it serviced every 15,000 km.

We are selling the car for 250,000 RMB. We are aggressively selling the car through agents as well, and expect it to sell fast so please let me know if you are interested and we can arrange for you to take a look!
nazsoccer

Postby AlbertSG » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:16 am

Hi, I am an expat from Singapore looking to buy a car from an expat. How can I contact you?
AlbertSG

Return to Shanghai Open Chat