China Telecom ADSL and IPSEC

Information on everything from mobile apps to buying a new laptop or PC

China Telecom ADSL and IPSEC

Postby Longjob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:53 am

Strange problem started over the weekend. Using company provided VPN and couldn't access sites. Following several hours of fault finding discovered that IPSEC was not working properly [net view returning error 5]. On occasion does work.

Anyone one aware whether this is general China Telecom issue, related to my modem/router or setting? Company support have told me that its local issue and can do no more. However before going to the ISP I wanted to see whether anyone else has been suffering this or has any ideas.
Longjob

Cocky again

LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Mood: Scream

Re: China Telecom ADSL and IPSEC

Postby PureXTC88 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Have you tried using PPTP or Open VPN instead of IPSEC?
PureXTC88
SuperStar
SuperStar

Mood: Cool

Postby Matong » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:27 pm

You will need to keep the protocol consistent with whatever the termination endpoint can negotiate (i.e. whatever you company is using for its VPN architecture) Ipsec is not blocked by China Telecom. It is likely your local router or vpn client may be going in to the weeds from time to time. Very early trouble shooting would be reboot your router and laptop. Try an alternative router and or reinstall your client. Your ISP will not have much to say about the issue. Beyond this you will need to capture the encapsulation negotiation at either end to see why the tunnel is broken. Or just replace stuff until it works again  :wink:
Matong
Raver
Raver

Postby Matong » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Try going to a friends place or wifi hot spot and see if using a different connection makes any difference. this will isolate any issue with the laptop's TCPIP stack or the client itself.
Matong
Raver
Raver

Return to Technology