Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  Receive our weekly newsletter.   I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Chinese Debit Card In Other Countries

Chinese Debit Card In Other Countries

Postby haimenteach » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Might have an obvious answer but I've learned in China nothing is obvious.

Going to Laos and Thailand soon and was wondering if my Bank of China debit card would work at atms in other countries such as these (of course with a fee).

Thanks
haimenteach
Seeker
Seeker

Re: Chinese Debit Card In Other Countries

Postby chingiskhan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Yes. Mine does anyway. Got money out in London last week.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby MoonOverMiami » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:12 pm

I've have withdrawn money from my BoC/ICBC account using BoC/ICBC ATMs in HK and Singapore without any problems. Just the pesky limits of (I think) 4000 HKD per day.
Charly: "Were you always this stupid or did you take lessons?"
Mitch: "I took lessons."
MoonOverMiami
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby jzzzzzzz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:18 pm

I've used my UnionPay card in Thailand a couple of times. Laos is not on the list on the unionpay website: http://en.unionpay.com/englobalization/all_globzlization/index.html
jzzzzzzz
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby chingiskhan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

MoonOverMiami wrote:I've have withdrawn money from my BoC/ICBC account using BoC/ICBC ATMs in HK and Singapore without any problems. Just the pesky limits of (I think) 4000 HKD per day.

Haha yes. I solved this problem by spreading the money across 3 different bank accounts so 4000 dollars per day became 12,000 per day. It's not ideal as the handling charge eats in to this as you're paying 3 times. I no longer use this method.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby Davexuhui » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:03 pm

chingiskhan wrote:
MoonOverMiami wrote:I've have withdrawn money from my BoC/ICBC account using BoC/ICBC ATMs in HK and Singapore without any problems. Just the pesky limits of (I think) 4000 HKD per day.

Haha yes. I solved this problem by spreading the money across 3 different bank accounts so 4000 dollars per day became 12,000 per day. It's not ideal as the handling charge eats in to this as you're paying 3 times. I no longer use this method.

What in the name of hell are you spending 4,000 on a day? If you can splash that kind of cash, a handling charge should hardly be a worry.

I'm going to go back to counting up my 5 mao coins to see if I can afford to eat today.
Davexuhui
Barker
Barker

Postby chingiskhan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Davexuhui wrote:
chingiskhan wrote:

What in the name of hell are you spending 4,000 on a day? If you can splash that kind of cash, a handling charge should hardly be a worry.

I'm going to go back to counting up my 5 mao coins to see if I can afford to eat today.

It wasn't for shopping it was a very crude way of moving money from China to the UK.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby MoonOverMiami » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:28 pm

chingiskhan wrote:
Davexuhui wrote:
chingiskhan wrote:

It wasn't for shopping it was a very crude way of moving money from China to the UK.

Hear hear...one way to move money out of China without registering with SAFE (at least I don't think it does).

There was one time when I did withdraw HKD$12k from one ICBC ATM through several requests (3x HKD$4k). But the next time went to HK and tried it I was limited to HKD$4k per day. Que sera sera!
Charly: "Were you always this stupid or did you take lessons?"
Mitch: "I took lessons."
MoonOverMiami
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby davecamden » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Can you not just withdraw it when you're back in the UK? That's what I'm planning to do once my sentence is up in October.
davecamden
Talker
Talker

Postby jzzzzzzz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Your UnionPay ATM card will work in just about any ATM in the UK now. UnionPay works at all Link cashpoints.
jzzzzzzz
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby haimenteach » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Anyone know the charges or does it vary from country to country?
haimenteach
Seeker
Seeker

Postby chingiskhan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:53 pm

davecamden wrote:Can you not just withdraw it when you're back in the UK? That's what I'm planning to do once my sentence is up in October.

Yes you can it's just very expensive because you have to pay 12 RMB plus a percentage (about 1%) for every single transaction and only a small amount each time so it takes time as well.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby duncw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:50 pm

I am going to Laos soon as well. Based on what I read on travelfish, I wouldn't trust the ATMs in Laos with any card. They may dock money from your account without giving you the cash. It is recommended to take US dollars or baht in cash or travellers checks.
duncw
Lurker
Lurker

Postby chingiskhan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Yes I think Laos is certainly more of a gamble compared to say Thailand which definitely is fine for ATM stuff.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby indyshiu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:31 pm

From experience, UnionPay is accepted at nearly all Citibanks. I was at the BKK airport last week and we used our BoC debit card at the Thai Military Bank (or whatever its called) just fine. However, be warned that some of their ATMs at the airport charge a fee and others don't. We found one down the hall away from the exit that was no fee.
indyshiu
Reacher
Reacher

Postby rickettyrabbit » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Davexuhui wrote:What in the name of hell are you spending 4,000 on a day?

He meets fFwerff for lunch. :lol:
Wabbit
"So many words simply to state what we already knew!"
Foxfyr
rickettyrabbit
Board Legend
Board Legend

Location: Chinese-free zone. No, wait - just looked at the wife.

Postby danny_siu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Get a debit card from Pingan Bank, international cash withdraw is completely free. They don't charge anything.
danny_siu
Lurker
Lurker

Postby chingiskhan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Yes, that's actually not a bad deal. I just change my RMB here and transfer as it's just easier than physically carrying 20,000 RMB and often I need to use larger amounts.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby lianhualu » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:26 am

As a previous poster pointed out, Unionpay cards (I used both ICBC and Bank of Shanghai) work at Citibank ATMs and I recently used them at Citibank and HSBC ATMs in Vietnam. I also used my cards successfully at Canadia Banks in Cambodia. The Canadia Bank ATM in Cambodia gave me $US.
lianhualu
Squeeker
Squeeker

Return to Shanghai Open Chat