Chinese Drivers License

Re: Chinese Drivers License

Postby rocco72 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:52 pm

i got my drivers license here almost 5 years ago and they required a chinese name, i guess they were just darn lazy...
"everytime we talk, we end up naked"
"then just marry her, that will end it"
rocco72
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby sinned69 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:16 pm

rocco72 wrote:i got my drivers license here almost 5 years ago and they required a chinese name, i guess they were just darn lazy...

I guess so, I got mine here more than 5 years ago and its in my full name, although on my old passport. A friend got his first one here 15 years ago and it is in his English name. Another group of German guys that I ride bikes with have been here as long and they've got theirs in their respective names...
45-50wpm w 3-5% error rate. i apologise now for my typos. - damn butter fingers :P
sinned69
PopStar
PopStar

Mood: Cool

Postby rocco72 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Maybe different districts work in different ways....anyway TIC :)
"everytime we talk, we end up naked"
"then just marry her, that will end it"
rocco72
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby sinned69 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:58 am

rocco72 wrote:Maybe different districts work in different ways....anyway TIC :)
yep, absolutely... TIC!
45-50wpm w 3-5% error rate. i apologise now for my typos. - damn butter fingers :P
sinned69
PopStar
PopStar

Re:

Postby p.sherlyn.p » Fri May 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Tom_32 wrote:It's easy:

1.take digital photos
(Take passport ,Resident certificate,both original)
(Transportation office:No 3 gate No 179 QingChun Road,Tel:64987070 ext 54280)
2.fill the form of drive license application
3.body check.
4.Translation of the foreign drive license.
Specified translation company:
Shanghai translator union,Room 702-4 GuoLv Business tower East NanJing Road No 66.
Tel:63239181
5.Send all above documents to this transportation office and make appointment for regulation test
6.If pass the test,the will issue the drive license in China.

The test consists out of 100 multiple choice questions.

Should be not to difficult.

Good Luck

No practical tests??
p.sherlyn.p
Seeker
Seeker

Postby mj2727 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:31 pm

There's some practice tests online you can download. There are 1000 questions now. The English on the practice tests is pretty poor, I think I missed some questions because i couldn't even understand what they were saying.
mj2727
Lurker
Lurker

Postby shanghaihalfpat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:48 am

Am taking the test soon. The question bank has 1,315 questions of which only 100 will be tested. Some questions are really weird though, for the content and for the English. An example...

Question 7.1.2.20: When using a bondage to dress a wounded person, the knot should be made neither above the wound nor at the back of the body. Otherwise, the wounded person will feel uncomfortable when sleeping. Answer: Right
Shanghai Halfpat: eating + living + working + exploring Shanghai (on a shoestring)
shanghaihalfpat
Barker
Barker

Postby shanghaihalfpat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:49 am

Any tips for the test? Taking it in English. Should I bother going through all 1,315 questions in the question bank?
Shanghai Halfpat: eating + living + working + exploring Shanghai (on a shoestring)
shanghaihalfpat
Barker
Barker

Postby shanghaihalfpat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:53 am

shanghaihalfpat
Barker
Barker

Postby ea » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:53 am

I want to apply for bike license, I have been told that I need a license to drive gas one.
Currently I have a license(from my country) but only for car, so I guess I need to follow different procedure to get this license in Shanghai ?? Is it possible to get it ? is test in english ? any idea about fee?
Thnks
ea
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Tobasta » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Hey, I would also like to know if there's a different procedure to do if you have a foreign driver's licence that enables you to drive cars, but wanna drive motorbikes in China now...

I thought I would just get the Chinese licence and the job would be done... I hope I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the answer!
Search, compare and review courses in China on Totuba.com

"It may be bigger than you and it may be bigger than me but, it’s not bigger than you and me! Can you dig it?"
Tobasta

Postby sinned69 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Tobasta wrote:Hey, I would also like to know if there's a different procedure to do if you have a foreign driver's licence that enables you to drive cars, but wanna drive motorbikes in China now...
I thought I would just get the Chinese licence and the job would be done... I hope I'm not mistaken.
Thanks for the answer!

Simple, if you don't have a foreign motorcycle riders license and want to get a Chinese motorcycle riders license, then you have to go to a driving/riding school. You have to be able to show that you have attended X no of hours of lessons/tuition etc. The school will make the application for you to sit the test with the appropriate traffic police.
sinned69
PopStar
PopStar

Postby edinshanghai » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:14 am

There is an iphone app which has the 1300+ questions for the theorectical part of the driverslicence. Very helpfull! I think... Taking the test tomorrow but started too late to study. Not that it is rocket science but the ones who have taken the test know what I mean :) The name of the app is ' china drive' . It is not 100% perfect but way better as the 375 pages word document.........
edinshanghai

edinshanghai

Seeker
Seeker

Postby edinshanghai » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:23 am

OH, and yes, they wanted and used my Chinese name. Which was especially invented for this occasion.... Laziness on the side of the Chinese police officer? Next time I'll take Sinned69 to explain this to the officials of the 'Shanghai Vehicule Management bureau'. ;)
edinshanghai

edinshanghai

Seeker
Seeker

Postby sinned69 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:55 pm

edinshanghai wrote:OH, and yes, they wanted and used my Chinese name. Which was especially invented for this occasion.... Laziness on the side of the Chinese police officer? Next time I'll take Sinned69 to explain this to the officials of the 'Shanghai Vehicule Management bureau'. ;)

That's great, no worries... but my eyes and complexion are not Chinese enough to win your battle. But I caution you though, if your license is with a Chinese name, and is tied to your passport number, with your passport having your birth name (not Chinese), and then your vehicle ownership papers and registration also having a different name to your license - it can be a problem, it can be a problem for things like getting insurance, it can be a problem when having to make a claim against the insurance. So just be prepared for the times when there will be a problem.

But you are right, it's laziness... plan and simple. I just bought another new vehicle (Motorcycle) and I just had it registered in my English name, not my Chinese one. Sure it's harder work, but it can be done... it depends on too many factors.
sinned69
PopStar
PopStar

Postby shanghaihalfpat » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Not wanting to shamelessly plug my site here, but I'm hoping this lengthy but comprehensive post will help others in their quest to convert their driving license in Shanghai.

The post provides all the information I think you need, especially what documents and photocopies you need, the cost breakdown, and even useful tips for the theory tests (including 2 very helpful test bank documents)!
shanghaihalfpat
Barker
Barker

Postby badger02 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:38 am

got my chinese sidecar licence last Friday, here's my two pence worth:

1. the previous post and link gives a good idea of the process.
2. i failed my medical 3 times due to poor eyesight in my left eye, you must get minimum of 4.9 in both eyes, you can wear glasses for test, they told me to go to any hospital and get a full eye test, after I did this (800rmb) and got a stamped medical cert saying that even though I did not get 4.9 in my left eye, they still certified me as fit to drive, this was a complete waste of time, they rejected this cert at the medical cert, they are as hard as nails, in the end my assistant found an agent in the car park who for 500rmb and 5 days later provided me with an offical medical certificate which was accepted.
3. the 1st translation of my UK licence was rejected because even though it said cars and motorbikes, it did not specifically say sidecars, so I had to get the translation amended.
4. the theory test is not that easy, I failed it twice, 1st time because I was cocky and thought it would be easy so hardly studied, 2nd time by a measly 3 points, 75% of the questions are obvious, it's the other 25% you have to try and remember and the various questions about government regulations on changing the colour of your vehicle etc etc.

all in it took me 3 months, between 1500-2000rmb, and a fair amount of hassle. if you have an assistant, then they can do this, if not then I would consider paying an agent to sort it out for you. my biggest problem by far was the medical, the medical centre is run by a coven of about 7off 60yr old witches, who in my experience love being awkward.
badger02
Ranter
Ranter

Postby event » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Hey,

just a short question, i read many of the posts, but seems like nobody mentions that the file you should download to prepare for the test contains 1300 questions!! sums up to about 295 pages.
i got my test next week, just wonder how much energy you need to spend to learn all that.

thx in advance
event
Barker
Barker

Postby badger02 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:29 pm

how much energy you put in depends on how much you want to pass the test !

1st time I took test, I spent 1 hr flicking through beforehand, turned up, got 76, bugger
2nd time I studied longer, but only got 87
3rd time I studied for 2 hrs a day for 5 days, and guess what, I passed

i reckon 75% of the questions are obvious and read the question and answer once and that's enough, it's the other 25% (like the hand signals, and all the questions about which papers you need to transfer your vehicle blah blah blah). those are the ones you need to revise again and again.
badger02
Ranter
Ranter

Postby ElGatoNegro » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:13 pm

Read all the sample questions and answers. Passed the first time.
"I only do this for money, send back to baba mama so they can buy 67-inch TV to hang on concrete wall."
prego2000 12 Dec 2013
ElGatoNegro
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby burginho » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Hey guys.

I have a question. At the moment I do not have a resident permit, is it somehow possible to get a driving license just with a F-type Visa? I mean except some expat services which ask for 5500 RMB.

Thank you in advance
burginho
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby okt0ber » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:49 pm

wheres the place to get a motorbike license? I do not have one from my country.
okt0ber
Reacher
Reacher

Mood: Happy

Postby MysterStreet » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:37 am

Hi,

sorry to bother but I've an additional question : I may be in a close but not strictly same position.
My girlfriend has had a Z visa, and now a Residence Permit+Work Permit. As her spouse, I will get what I think to be a Residence Permit (or maybe what you call Temporary Residence form) that should be renewable each year, linked to hers. But I have no Z visa, I only have an L visa.

With this, will it be ok for me to get Chinese Drivers License ?

Thanks !

sinned69 wrote:
woaihuan wrote:Lets clear some things up.
You do not need a "Residence Permit", unless you have a working visa. If you have an L Visa, you just need a temporary residence form. You should have got the form from a local police station within 24 hours of entering China...

Residence Permit for Foreigner is the visa that one gets for working in mainland China (some people refer to this as the Z-visa -which is theoretically incorrect). Z-visa is the visa initially given to an individual by Chinese embassies located outside China in other territories/countries. The Z-visa allows one to enter the country to take up employment & is usually valid for 30 days upon entering mainland China. Once one arrives on the Z-visa, they & the employing company/unit must then apply for the employment visa aka "Residence Permit for Foreigner in PRC" Therefore one cannot continue working on the Z visa indefinitely (its purpose if just to get the perspective employee here). The temporary residency form referred to is needed by nearly all foreigners staying in mainland China. This is actually the Registration of Residence form/slip which is obtained from various PSB offices that register foreigners, that one must obtain and keep in their possession. It seems in many places in PRC this Registration of Residence form is to be renewed annually even if the place of residence has not changed. That might not be the case if a foreigner has a "Residence Permit for Foreigner in PRC" that is longer than 12 months in duration.

My question concerning the X visa (student visa) was related to whether it also gets converted in some way as the Z visa does to something similar to the "Residence Permit for Foreigner in PRC"? If not then perhaps there is a temporary drivers license category that exists, that wasn't available before. I ask as it does seem that there is some alteration or amendment to the rules that can allow a student visa holder or even holders of L (visitor) visas to PRC to get a drivers license. For example there is a motorcycle touring business that can arrange riders to bring their own bikes into PRC with relevant carnie and assist participants to obtain their Chinese drivers license. So it would appear that L visa holders can get it. Although are various types of L visas.
MysterStreet
Lurker
Lurker

Postby ranmachen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:53 pm

Just to confiirm, a tourist visa or business visa allows you to get a temporary driver's license but the visa needs to be 90 days or less?

If I apply for a license, can I get it within the same day? Or will they schedule my test some other day?

Also, what happens after 90 days? Can I just renew my license or do I have to take the test all over again?
ranmachen
Reacher
Reacher

Postby titefee » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 pm

hello,

I'm planning to go to chongqing this summer for my studies so i'll have a student visa and i would like to know if i can take the driving test there because i didn't have the time to get my driving license in France so i was hoping to get it in china.
titefee

Postby MysterStreet » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:04 pm

ranmachen wrote:Just to confiirm, a tourist visa or business visa allows you to get a temporary driver's license but the visa needs to be 90 days or less?

If I apply for a license, can I get it within the same day? Or will they schedule my test some other day?

Also, what happens after 90 days? Can I just renew my license or do I have to take the test all over again?

you won't get it within 1 day : you have to forecast at least 2-3 weeks to perform all process.
It includes about 2 weeks between your application and the proposed scheduled test (as I experienced in January)

I'm not sure about your question on visa, but here is my experience : I got my chinese license with my residence permit (that is valid for 10 months only) , and my driver's license is valid for 6 years - I won't have to renew it after my residence permit validity
MysterStreet
Lurker
Lurker

Postby MysterStreet » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:09 pm

titefee wrote:hello,

I'm planning to go to chongqing this summer for my studies so i'll have a student visa and i would like to know if i can take the driving test there because i didn't have the time to get my driving license in France so i was hoping to get it in china.

yes you can. But if you don't have already a french license, you will have to go through all training process (including driving lessons), that will probably need that you are already easy with chinese language.
Or you surely can "buy" a chinese license, but it will not be legal and probably quite expensive ...

If you already have your french license, but you're talking about not having international license it's different : having an international license is useless, China won't allow you to use it here. But you can convert a foreign license into a chinese one : see this forum (in french) with all updated process, for Shanghai area http://www.bonjourchine.com/f1/f9/61275-permis-conduire-shanghai.html
MysterStreet
Lurker
Lurker

Postby blondesands » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:02 pm

okt0ber wrote:wheres the place to get a motorbike license? I do not have one from my country.

Saw that a driving school near Hong Qiao airport offers lessons.
"I am the master of my fate: the captain of my soul." by William Earnest Henley (Madiba's words of encouragement)
blondesands

And...she's back...

Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby titefee » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:07 pm

thank you for your reply. i know that in chongqing they have translated the writing test in english and french so i can do it but i really don't know about the drinving lessons. i have to enquire about it.
titefee

Postby ElGatoNegro » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:46 pm

titefee wrote:thank you for your reply. i know that in chongqing they have translated the writing test in english and french so i can do it but i really don't know about the drinving lessons. i have to enquire about it.

Dude. You are way over complicating a ridiculously easy situation.

PM me and I will tell you how to take care of all this. The EASY way... 8)

Kris
"I only do this for money, send back to baba mama so they can buy 67-inch TV to hang on concrete wall."
prego2000 12 Dec 2013
ElGatoNegro
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

PreviousNext

Return to Automobiles