Chiropractor

Chiropractor

Postby nettyli » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:11 am

Please can anyone recommend a good chiropractor in Puxi. I'm desperate! I've seen one at the Shanghai Spinal Clinic but he didn't help much.
nettyli
Barker
Barker
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:33 am

Korean Chiropractor and Acupunturist (inc herbal medicine)

Postby Oksana » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Hi,

If anybody is looking for a good chiropractor I can recoomend one Korean man who is excellent! He has helped me, he has fixed my back pain in just few sessions. He has over 28 years experience and the price is reasonable only 200RMB per session. His speaks some English but his coleague who is an Acupuncturist speaks better English. So if anyone needs their back problem fixed or an acupuncture and traditional medicine. Give these Korean doctors a try. You can call them on 13391156956. They work in Gubei district. They can also arrange a car to pick you up around the Gubei area. Hope this is useful for someone! Welcome to pm me if you have any questions. I am just a happy client so thought I will recommed them to other Expats Thks ! :)
User avatar
Oksana
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:46 pm

chiropractor in Puxi

Postby drchen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:32 am

please note there are several chiropractors in Shanghai Spinal and you may try a different doctor there. There are osteopaths there as well
drchen
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:12 am

Postby shanghaimom2008 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:27 pm

Atipa Lim: Parkwayhealth Tomorrow Square Branch
shanghaimom2008
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:07 pm

korean chiro in gubei

Postby margon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi there,

I just tried the number you suggested for that great korean man - 13391156956 - but that number doesnt exist!!!!

Bum, i really need to go - and Gubei is quite close to JujiaXui.

Please help!

Ideally, i am looking for Network Spinal Analysis - the gentle Chiro. Can anyone help? Especially somewhere relatively close.

Thank you!
Margo
margon
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 3:41 pm

Postby ChiBob » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:45 pm

If you can get into Pudong...
Dr. Gregory Gipson, Chiropractor, sports therapist.
American Guy.
Splits his time between,,,
Shanghai East Int'l Med Center(Tues/Weds/Thurs)
551 South Pudong Rd.
Office phone - 5879-9999 xt2900
and
Taiqi Bone and trauma clinic
1871 Jinxiu Rd
Office phone - 5109-3299
THis guy helped me with a neck problem, and seems ok. There is also a Chinese guy at this Taiqi clinic that I used, and he is also ok, if you tell him you ONLY want the adjustments. Chinese guy also cheaper.
ChiBob
Barker
Barker
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:54 am

Postby FL666 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi There...

I know this Singapore guy, Francis, who is very good in treating of disabilities caused by injury, stroke and other physical ailment. It also including frozen shoulder, tennis elbow, painful joints, insomnia, migraine, gastric, constipation, etc......
I have had chronic lower and upper back problems for 10 years and have gone to numerous doctors, chiropractors, physician, masseuse….you name it, all to no avail. I had ONE session with Francis about a month ago and have not had pains in my back since then.....

As for the price...worth it!!! It cost a lot lesser that going to chiropractor......

Another good thing I like about him is that he will never require you to go back to see him regularly like what the chiropractor do!!!!....once he get you fix, he do not need you to come to see him any more!

Could try to call him at this no. 13564816563, if not you could PM me & I will forward his contact to you.....
FL666
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Postby nobody3 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi
I recommand to go to a medical doctor for chiropractic and oriental treatments for pain who works in Gubei
He is really good at american-style of chiropractic. very professional and not expensive comparing to those of foreigners hospital.
Last edited by nobody3 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nobody3
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:39 pm

Postby yamari » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:00 am

Just so people know this is a topic on Chiropractors. I did a search on what is a real chiropractor and those Korean guys have no training in Chiropractic. They are just using manipulation that looks like chiropractic, but they never did any training. Hence the cheaper price. I prefer to see people trained in a discipline rather than people going through the motions. Anyhow just my two cents.
yamari
LoopKicker
LoopKicker
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:07 am

Postby yamari » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:33 pm

Chiropractors take x-rays in their clinics in most countries and in Shanghai they usually work in hospitals so the patient can have x-rays, ct scans and Mri's done in the hopspital the Chiropractor works in. Not really sure about why the above poster is saying his hospital has anything special in order to look at spine specific conditions. Glad to see you have nice equipment in your hospital.
yamari
LoopKicker
LoopKicker
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:07 am

Postby sunyi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:41 pm

yamari wrote:Just so people know this is a topic on Chiropractors. I did a search on what is a real chiropractor and those Korean guys have no training in Chiropractic. They are just using manipulation that looks like chiropractic, but they never did any training. Hence the cheaper price. I prefer to see people trained in a discipline rather than people going through the motions. Anyhow just my two cents.


yamari wrote:Dr. Eddy Chen, Landseed Hospital, 937 West Yan An Rd. 6226-2458. Dr. Eddy has stress management as one of his major focuses.


you can't post advertisements like this. You criticize on other doctors like this and then post advertisements for Landseed clinic! If you want to post ad for Landseed, you shuold make efforts to at least change user name to do that for Landseed. And I suggest that don't post ad too much at the same time, otherwise change your username, because it's easy to notice aboout it. I also doubt about your search and very diifficult to trust your comment.


quotes edited to remove spam. Don't want to give yamari extra space. Moderator
sunyi
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Postby yamari » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:09 am

To the above poster you have spliced two different threads together to make your above statements. Let's keep on topic. I have some Korean friends who are Chiropractors. That means they are Korean and they went to a licensed Chiropractic school. That assures the expat customer they are receiving the same standards as they would be in the west. In the west to put Chiropractor beside your name you need a Chiropractic degree.

Some Koreans take advantage of the fact that there are no laws in some asian countries that define what a Chiropractor is. So they are a Korean without formal Chiropractic training going through the motions. I happen to know that there is no formally trained Koreans in Shanghai and that is why I warn the public. I send people to two formally trained Korean Chiropractors in Seoul because those two Koreans went to Chiropractic school.

I will continue to tell people that Shanghai has no real Korean Chiropractors unless a Korean living in Shanghai can show a Chiropractic degree.

So again lets not fog the issue and let's stay on topic.

1. Are you Korean?
2. Did you attend a licensed Chiropractic school ?

Unless you can answer yes to both of those questions the sign on your clinic means very little, because in the west we must have a degree in our area of expertise and that is how we protect the public.

There are other words you can use on your clinic wall, such as traditional Korean medicine Dr. that did a short course in manipulation, or Korean GP that took a course in manipulation.

Because the public are not experts in the amount of time people train we make up licensed courses so they can know the system is training people.

I also am not speaking from a place of not knowing because Korea has been a home to me for many years which might surprise you.

Again I only write here to keep Chiropractic threads about Chiropractic and inform the public that many untrained asians like to add that sign to their practice wall. I think asians who took the time to study the full Chiropractic course would also like a word that distinguishes them from people who studied for a few weekends and use the term.

I know one Chinese surgeon that went to study the full Chiropractic course but I lost track of where he settled down after graduation. He would be one of the few true Chinese Chiropractors in mainland China.
yamari
LoopKicker
LoopKicker
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:07 am

Postby sunyi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:21 pm

yamari. you have warm heart. We are very appreciate for your warning.

But you didn't explain why you are involved in posting so many ad for landseed hospital. Because I found a lot of your ad on different topics at the same time .
you have mentioned very detailed address and phone number and the name of doc. I can't think that it is not a ad.

Actually I copied many of your ad and posted here but moderater removed that.
Because he thought that it is a spam.
Don't you think that your warm heart faded because of such kind of ad?

I want to ask you a qustion.

Do you know that A chiropractor can't see a patient here in China by the Chinese law if he is not a MD?

No matter he is a licenced chiropractor or what kind of chiropractic degree he has.
No matter he is from Korea or USA whatever.
It is forbidden to see a patient here by the Chinese law.
You can call shanghai weishengju (Shanghai board of health) and ask it is true or not.

I know that many foreign chiropractors are doing this treatment here in Shanghai. I don't know how they do that. maybe they are not under control seriously by Shanghai borad of health because they are foreigners.

But you have to ask them if they are real MD and have a MD licence in their country or not.
Are they registered as a MD by Shanghai board of health?

Because if something wrong (I hope not), you will be in troble.
You can't get any protection by the law. (the chiropractor who is not a MD will be in troble too if he is reported to Shanghai board of health)
I don't know about their level of treatment who has chiropractor license you mentioned.
But we have to be cautious for that.

And about Koreans who you mentioned, I don't know it is same person or not.
I know very good Korean doc.
He is real MD, treated more than 3,000 patients. and he uses chiropractic, Chinese tuina therapy and other physical therapy.
so I think you can't say that all koreans who are doing chiropractic are manipulating.
Because I don't think you know all of them very well.
Of course some of them are not very qualified doc like no matter which country they come from we can see such kind of doc. right?

Anyway I agreed that we have to find a good doc for our health.

And last, I want to know that why you don't answer my question.
Why are you criticize other doctors and post such kind ad?
Please answer my question.

I recently have neck pain.
So I will go to the landseed hospital to take chiropractic treatment and see how great MD they have.
sunyi
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Postby yamari » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:02 am

It's very simple Chiropractors have Chiropractic degrees and to say one uses Chiropractic they need that degree. Look what you said above when you said a Md uses Chiropractic. This is a false statement unless he has a Chiropractic license. Chiropratic is a license, not a technique, please don't mix that concept up. Also chiropractors licensed in their home countries practice in China under the term manual therapists or rehabilitation Drs as China uses a blanket term to describe licensed physio therapists, Osteopaths, Chiropractors from other nations.

The Chiropractic profession asks Koreans to stop using the term Chiropractor when they don't have the training as it is confusing to the public. Korea is the only country that seams to have a problem understanding the term but uses it to attract patients to their offices like a buzzword.


Korean Drs are free to use manipulation and say that but when they add the term Chiropractic it is not what other countries mean when they use this term, so it confuses the public.

Sorry this has turned into such an argument and you seam to be mad about advertising which is what your posts are about as well. I think more than half the posts are ads.

But back on topic in the Chiropractic section. If you agree to not say you are a Chiropractor in the Chiroparctic threads I will also agree never to say I am a Korean Gp in a thread about Korean Mds.

Please tell koreans that Chiropractic means that the person attended chiropractic college. It is not some term you just add to a list of techniques you use.

If you want to attack me please make another thread but keep threads on Chiropractic about Dr.s who actually are Chiropractors.

Sorry you or your Korean Dr friend felt attacked but I just wanted to be clear what the term Chiropractor meant as many Koreans are confused what the term actually means. I hope clearity is what you are after and that you have some more now.
yamari
LoopKicker
LoopKicker
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:07 am

Postby sunyi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:51 pm

You just said that It's very simple Chiropractors have Chiropractic degrees and to say one uses Chiropractic they need that degree.
Likewise you said, chiropractors are not allowed to see a patient unless they are medical doctors in China.

Don't miss the point. It is the most important that who can treat patients and who can't .
I'd like to make stress again that A chirpractor is not allowed to treat patients by the law in China.

You are just worried about the public, but if you are a chiropractor who is not alloweded to treat patients, do you really think that you are right person who can say I am worried about the public?

Patients have no any pretection from their illegal treatment if medical issues happend.

In China. You never wear doctor uniform if you are not a MD,
Furthermore, if you have a doctor licence , but if you are not rigistered by the board of health in China, you can't see a patient.
But I saw many chiropractors wear doctor's uniform including the chiropractor who is mentioned by you and treat patients.

In addition, chiropractic is not so diificult treatment in view of real medical doctor. Of course they are well trained.

The point is that you can't treat patients withouht Md license.
If you are reported to Shanhai board of health, you have to go back home.

This arguement started from your posting.
You may post ad of course, but you critisized other hosptials.
When you post ad next time, you have to make sure that whether the person is allowed as a medical doc or illegal .

I didn't want to say about legal or illegal issue here.
Because it is opend to the public, and chiropractors are living here in Shanghai.
But you post ad for your clinic and critisize other hospitals.
So it turned to arguement like this.

The Korean doc didn't say that he is a chiropractor, he said that he is MD and specialized at chiropratic treatment and oreiental treatment.
He is very experienced doctor who treated a lot of patients.

I know that his wife is famous lawer in Shanghai.
If you have any problem on my comment, just post here. I can ask her about this.
Last edited by sunyi on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
sunyi
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Postby Snippets » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:16 pm

Sunyi - you are 100% completely wrong! Chiropractors are licensed by the board of health here in Shanghai and Beijing etc and as such can and do see patients legally and freely.
User avatar
Snippets
PopStar
PopStar
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:06 pm

Postby Snippets » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:18 pm

This ENTIRE thread needs to be pitted or deleted because Shanghai Expat is a resource that helps the community and this thread just disseminates mindless drivel between two people who are having a feud.
User avatar
Snippets
PopStar
PopStar
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:06 pm

Postby sunyi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 pm

You said I am 100% completly wrong.
So I just called Shanghai board of health (版权所有(C)2001-2008 上海市卫生局版权所有,不得非法镜像。
E-mail:webmaster@smhb.gov.cn 地址: 北京西路1477号 电话: 22121111 邮编:200040 tel-22121111)
I explained exactly what chiropractor is.

They said that no one can treat patients in hospital unless they are medical doctors in their country.
No matter you are a nurse, or any kinds of physical therapists.
you are not allowed to see patients.
They might be registered as hospital staffs not as MDs and see patients illegally.

Chiropractor is not MD in USA or any country over the world. Do you agree with that?
And it is very clear that you can't do that in China because chiropractor is not medical doctor.
In China, Only MDs can see patients legally and freely.
Don't say it is stupid or whatever. this is China !
And we are living in China.

And about this arguement, you can't delete it.
Because people have to know the truth.
Last edited by sunyi on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunyi
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Postby Snippets » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:17 pm

You are wrong, plain and simple. Do you really think that Shanghai-Eastern medical center, United Family Hospitals, Parkway Health Centers, and Landseed hospital are all practising illegally???? Risking their license and putting themselves at extreme risk?

You are crazy.
User avatar
Snippets
PopStar
PopStar
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:06 pm

Postby sunyi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:10 pm

Thank you for your informations about those hospitals.
I will send the list to board of health and ask to inspect about those hospitals.
Because , the person in charge of board of health made it clearly that any foreign hosptial staffs can't see patients unless medical doctors.

you said I am crazy?
If you make a defamation of character again like this, I warn you, you have the resposibilty for it.
I already captured all postings.
sunyi
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Postby Snippets » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Hahaha... you are a true nutter aren't you?

Capture away dear freakazoid
User avatar
Snippets
PopStar
PopStar
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:06 pm

Postby tihZ_hO » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:16 pm

sunyi wrote:Chiropractor is not MD in USA or any country over the world. Do you agree with that?
And it is very clear that you can't do that in China because chiropractor is not medical doctor.
In China, Only doctors can see patients legally and freely.
Don't say it is stupid or whatever. this is China !
And we are living in China.

And about this arguement, you can't delete it.
Because people have to know the truth.


sunyi wrote:Thank you for your informations about those hospitals.
I will send the list to board of health and ask to inspect about those hospitals.
Because , the person in charge of board of health made it clearly that any foreign hosptial staffs can't see patients unless medical doctors.

you said I am crazy?
If you make a defamation of character again like this, I warn you, you have the resposibilty for it.
I already captured all postings.


cra⋅zy [krey-zee] adjective

1 mentally deranged; demented; insane or speaking out of one's arse see also sunyi

2 senseless; impractical; totally unsound; not having a clue, but thinks they do. see also sunyi

I am also saying you are CRAZY and oh, so is Websters and no doubt the Chinese board of health.

In the USof A, licensed chiropractors must attend medical school and be board certified and are awarded the title of Doctor. How would I know this? My sister just so happens to be a chiropractor and she LEGALLY has "Dr" in front of her name.

Why not also go to this chiropractor website and click "About the DOCTORS"

http://www.chirousawa.com/

Apologies will be considered and you may post them here but they may not be accepted if they are not sincere enough or there is not enough grovelling along with the attendant arse kissing.
Image





You know who you are
User avatar
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity
 
Posts: 16229
Mood: Cool
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:43 am

Postby sunyi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:46 am

I don't look down on chiropractors.
I know that chiropractors are called doctor of chiropractic in USA.
But it is different with Medical Doctor.
And Only Medical Doctors are accepted in China.

Let's wait for the result of board of health.

You just explained of the meaning for Crazy.
It is a word that fits you! Watch your mouth !
sunyi
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Postby tihZ_hO » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:40 am

sunyi wrote:I don't look down on chiropractors.
I know that chiropractors are called doctor of chiropractic in USA.
But it is different with Medical Doctor.
And Only Medical Doctors are accepted in China.

Let's wait for the result of board of health.

You just explained of the meaning for Crazy.
It is a word that fits you! Watch your mouth !


You said that chiropractors are not medical doctors and I proved you wrong!

Typical Chinese, you think you know everything and when are shown to be WRONG you cannot admit it!

"Oh I'm going to report you" you said

Well guess what, its not the 1960's any more, that's finished!

So APOLOGISE!
Image





You know who you are
User avatar
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity
 
Posts: 16229
Mood: Cool
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:43 am

Postby Snippets » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:12 pm

Uh oh, tihZ - the feng bi sunyi is "capturing" your posts too! RED SCARE! RED SCARE!
User avatar
Snippets
PopStar
PopStar
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:06 pm

Postby tihZ_hO » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:27 pm

Snippets wrote:Uh oh, tihZ - the feng bi sunyi is "capturing" your posts too! RED SCARE! RED SCARE!


Haha, She's all NATO - No Action Talk Only



sunyi

Image
Image





You know who you are
User avatar
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity
 
Posts: 16229
Mood: Cool
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:43 am

Postby sunyi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:36 pm

I really don't feel any needs to take actions about you tihZ_hO and Snippets.
Loot at yourself.
So dirty mouth... So childish... Are you proud of yourself for your action and talking?
How old are you? I think your age is under 15 years old.

We can make arguments if we think differnt ways.
But speak dirty words? post that kind of photo?
What? typical Chinese? talks about nationality? are you a racialist?
If you hate Chinese, Why are you living in China? Go home !

Shame on you! Boys ! you have to learn more about what is manner from your mommy.
sunyi
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Postby tihZ_hO » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:30 pm

sunyi wrote:I really don't feel any needs to take actions about you tihZ_hO and Snippets.
Loot at yourself.
So dirty mouth... So childish... Are you proud of yourself for your action and talking?
How old are you? I think your age is under 15 years old.

We can make arguments if we think differnt ways.
But speak dirty words? post that kind of photo?
What? typical Chinese? talks about nationality? are you a racialist?
If you hate Chinese, Why are you living in China? Go home !

Shame on you! Boys ! you have to learn more about what is manner from your mommy.


Why you cannot admit that chiropractors are medical doctors?

No?

Even though I have shown you that chiropractors are medical doctors you still refuse to admit you were wrong?

Is it face?

I never said I hate Chinese, or China. All I said is you are typically Chinese which is Chinese will seldom admit to ever being wrong.

Therefore I stated you are useless and if you choose to be a turtle egg that is your choice. (snicker) So here is your chance to prove you are not useless and just admit you were wrong.

Its that simple, admit it.

Type the words you know are true... come on!! Prove to us that Chinese CAN admit it when they are wrong.

If you cannot then: Stereotypes are for a reason.



...you are a turtle egg
Image





You know who you are
User avatar
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity
 
Posts: 16229
Mood: Cool
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:43 am

Postby tihZ_hO » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:17 pm

You know the other thing that Chinese typically do when they know they are wrong??




















Just be silent.
Image





You know who you are
User avatar
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity
 
Posts: 16229
Mood: Cool
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:43 am

Postby sunyi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Read this carefully !

Do you really think that there is no differnce between chiropractor and Main stream Medicine like Medical Doctor?
In China, Only Main stream Medical doctors are accepted.

Now It 's your turn to admit your were wrong.
Otherwise you are the tuttle egg ! (Snikker)

Chiropractic
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Chiropractic is controversial,[2][3] and it is generally considered to be complementary and alternative medicine,[4] a characterization that many chiropractors reject

Mainstream health care and governmental organizations such as the World Health Organization consider chiropractic to be complementary and alternative medicine (CAM);[4] and a 2008 study reported that 31% of surveyed chiropractors categorized chiropractic as CAM, 27% as integrated medicine, and 12% as mainstream medicine.

A 2008 commentary proposed that the chiropractic profession actively regulate itself to combat abuse, fraud, and quackery, which are more prevalent in chiropractic than in other health care professions, violating the social contract between patients and physicians.[24] A study of California disciplinary statistics during 1997–2000 reported 4.5 disciplinary actions per 1000 chiropractors per year, compared to 2.27 for MDs; the incident rate for fraud was 9 times greater among chiropractors (1.99 per 1000 chiropractors per year) than among MDs (0.20)

Chiropractic does not have the same level of mainstream credibility as other healthcare professions. Public perception of chiropractic compares unfavorably with mainstream medicine with regard to ethics and honesty: in a 2006 Gallup Poll of U.S. adults, chiropractors rated last among seven health care professions for being very high or high in honesty and ethical standards, with 36% of poll respondents rating chiropractors very high or high; the corresponding ratings for the other professions ranged from 62% for dentists to 84% for nurses.[24][79][80] According to the 2008 book Trick or Treatment, chiropractors, especially in America, have a reputation for unnecessarily treating patients, and in many circumstances the focus seems to be put on economics instead of health care

Chiropractors are not licensed to write medical prescriptions or perform major surgery in the U.S. Their scope of practice varies by state in areas such as conducting laboratory tests or diagnostic procedures, dispensing dietary supplements, and using other therapies such as homeopathy and acupuncture; in Oregon they can become certified to perform minor surgery and to deliver children via natural childbirth

A 2007 survey of Alberta chiropractors found that they do not consistently apply research in practice, which may have resulted from a lack of research education and skills.[91] Continued education enhances the scientific knowledge of the practitioner.

Effectiveness

Opinions differ as to the efficacy of chiropractic treatment.[3] Many controlled clinical studies of spinal manipulation (SM) are available, but their results disagree,[93] and they are typically of low quality.[94] Health claims made by chiropractors about using manipulation for pediatric health conditions are supported by only low levels of scientific evidence[76][95] that does not demonstrate clinically relevant benefits.[96] A 2008 critical review found that with the possible exception of back pain, chiropractic SM has not been shown to be effective for any medical condition, and suggested that many guidelines recommend chiropractic care for low back pain because no therapy has been shown to make a real difference,[13] but a 2008 supportive review found serious flaws in the critical approach and found that SM and mobilization are at least as effective for chronic low back pain as other efficacious and commonly used treatments.


However, its future seemed uncertain: as the number of practitioners grew, evidence-based medicine insisted on treatments with demonstrated value, managed care restricted payment, and competition grew from massage therapists and other health professions. The profession responded by marketing natural products and devices more aggressively, and by reaching deeper into alternative medicine and primary care

Cost-effectiveness

The cost-effectiveness of maintenance chiropractic care is unknown

No single profession "owns" spinal manipulation and there is little consensus as to which profession should administer SM, raising concerns by chiropractors that orthodox medical physicians could "steal" SM procedures from chiropractors.
Last edited by sunyi on Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
sunyi
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Next

Return to Health Care

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests