Does it snow in Shanghai during the winter?

Does it snow in Shanghai during the winter?

Postby Worm99 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:27 pm

Just want to know if I should pack my boots or not...
Worm99

Postby Humac » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:35 pm

Snowed last year but it was the first time for many years. It gets very cold and wet though so boots are a good idea.
Humac
Post Boaster

Postby chingiskhan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:36 pm

It doesn't usually, but it did last year.
chingiskhan
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby SnappySammy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:56 am

Every woman in Shanghai owns a least 12,000 pairs of Boots...Pack accordingly
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.....
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby Worm99 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:11 am

I'm a guy. Perhaps I could just hook a girl with the same shoesize as me and borrow hers...
Worm99

Postby SnappySammy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:27 am

You don't need snow boots in Shanghai....Last winter we had some snow, but it didn't last very long, nor wasn't very deep.....
Last edited by SnappySammy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby SnappySammy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:28 am

BTW I'm not sure were you are from. While you really don't need boots in Shanghai, my guess is you will need to bring your Rubbers..
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby Worm99 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:13 am

I'm from Sweden. It doesn't snow that much here either - contrary to common belief.

It seems like I will pack my boots though, just to be on the safe side.
Worm99

Postby Adrienne » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:27 am

SnappySammy wrote:BTW I'm not sure were you are from. While you really don't need boots in Shanghai, my guess is you will need to bring your Rubbers with you..

SnappySammy, I just love it when you talk dirty.

Adrienne Farrelly
Shanghai Properties - "Expat Agents speak your language"
Mbl: +86 13122810421
manager@shanghaiprops.com
http://www.shanghaiprops.com
http://adriennefarrelly.tumblr.com/
Last edited by Adrienne on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrienne
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Tired

Postby yu888 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:12 am

6 years of experiences, good, bad ugly... and survived.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby groover » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:35 pm

In my opinion, better safe than sorry. A rugged pair of leather hiking boots will go a long way. Even if you don't need them much, boots are a huge comfort when your feet could be cold and wet. When the weather is bad, it's harder to find transport so you'll be exposed to cold rain that much longer. There will be times when your feet are miserable in normal shoes, then even more miserable when you think about how dirty the water on your feet is. Boots will also save your nicer shoes from the elements so you don't have to clean and replace them as often.

If you bring hiking boots, you'll get a chance to use them if you visit any of the mountains in the area. Make sure you waterproof them with a few coats of wax from your local outfitter before packing.

That's my opinion. I've got a 14 year old pair of Raichle's (RIP) that have been resoled a few times. There are times here when I couldn't live without them.
groover
Talker
Talker

Postby livestrong » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:21 pm

Worm99 wrote:I'm from Sweden. It doesn't snow that much here either - contrary to common belief.

It seems like I will pack my boots though, just to be on the safe side.

Ahh, but then you don't need any boots! 8)
I'm also from Sweden, and here in SH, I walk around in my Converse or Nike's all year long. No but seriously, it's a different kind of cold here then what we are used to from back home. In Sweden it's a much dryer cold, while here in Shanghai the temp. doesn't have to jump down very low before one start to feel that chill finding its way in to the body. (because of it being much more damp here)

If you know that your feet get cold easily, I think you should pack the boots (and if you have the space). Otherwise I would skip them and instead concentrate on a bigger jacket etc, to keep you warm.

Depending of course where in Sweden you're from (I'm guessing not the northern parts since you say it doesn't snow very much there :wink: I'm from the south, and I think we all get our share each year, def. if you compare it with a place like SH), but I think you can agree with me that there's a lot of swedes walking around in the same kind of shoes during the winter as they do during the rest of the year.

And yes, it actually snowed here last winter - if one can call it that, and the locals went totally bananas (which again is understandable!) But coming from a "snowy country", it was absolutely nothing to pay attention to! Sure it made things more difficult here like when it came to communications, etc. But again, if you are used to snow, you don't have to worry that much being here in SH.

Good Luck.

Cheers
livestrong
Raver
Raver

Postby eppworld » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:06 pm

May be it will snow this winter.
eppworld
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Worm99 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:51 pm

SnappySammy wrote:BTW I'm not sure were you are from. While you really don't need boots in Shanghai, my guess is you will need to bring your Rubbers..

Hahaha, I just got that one! God I'm slow... :oops:
Worm99

Postby Zak101 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:27 pm

We'll see, eh ? My guess is worse than this year.
It's time I got a real job in China ! Coming here was career destruction - but that's about to change. Push your luck at http:\\www.lucky-jamieson.com
Zak101
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby DuGe » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:14 pm

Worm99, maybe if you're from Sweden you won't feel the cold that much, but I'm Brazilian and last winter in SH was fcking cold. Bring your boots.
DuGe
Lurker
Lurker

Return to Shanghai Open Chat