Electric [Bike / Scooter / Moped] Licence Q&A

Electric [Bike / Scooter / Moped] Licence Q&A

Postby compsolutions » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:33 pm

All forms of transport in Shanghai require a licence. Bicycles, Electric Bikes, Mopeds / Scooters, Cars etc. Riding without one is not recommended, as this can lead to fines, deportation, and jail in worst case scenario's.

Electric Bikes/ Scooters are not exempt from requiring a licence, despite what the nice man at the shop selling you the bike, or others on this forum might say.

To be street legal in Shanghai, you need a plate.

1) Only bikes purchased in Shanghai can get a Shanghai plate.
Keep your official receipt (fapiao) when you buy the bike, as it needs to be used to get your licence.

2) As of a law passed in April 2008, Shanghai Electric bikes have to be:

* Under 40kg.

* Not capable of speeds faster than 20km/hr.
Effectively this means only bikes < 36v.

* Listed in the allowed vehicle database for Shanghai.
Legal bikes have a 15 digit unicode (like a car VIN) which is unique. Manufacturers have to apply for a production licence for this, and not all have done so.
A list of licenced manufacturers is available here:
http://www.shbicycle.com/Article/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=6230

If you own a bike that is older than that date that does not conform to the above, and you had a legal licence at that time, then it can be renewed each year, and its still legal.

3) To licence an electric bike/scooter/moped you need to visit the police station for your district.

You will need to bring:

* - The fapiao for the bike
* - Valid form of ID (Passport for foreigners)
* - The bike
* - Money to pay for the licence (11rmb currently)

-----

FAQ's:

Can I use a legal plate from another province?
eg Jiangsu...
Possibly No, with some caveats -
It is not legal to ride with an out of town plate unless it is a weekend, or public holiday. You can be fined 200RMB if caught riding outside of these times, although this is unlikely. This is a grey area though, so police attitude to this may vary/change. While having a plate is better than not having a plate, it may not help if you have an accident.

Can I carry a passenger?
According to the law, no.

Is is illegal to drive without a plate?
Yes. Being a foreigner does not exclude you from following the law.

Do I need a driving licence for an electric bike/moped/scooter?
No.

Is there an official list of legal bikes?
There are 2 official sites where you can check if a bike is legal - http://www.shbicycle.com and http:/www.shjtag.com

A current list of legal bikes with photo's is here:
http://www.shbicycle.com/Photo/ShowClass.asp?ClassID=84

You will need Chinese reading abilities to read either site.

Instructions below for non illiterate:

市民在购买电动自行车时,可以通过上海市自行车行业协会网站上(HTTP://WWW.SHBICYCLE.COM),或上海交通安全信息网(网址:HTTP://WWW.SHJTAQ.COM,点击首页右上方的 “车/牌/证公告”栏目中的“上海电动自行车—上牌备案登记表”)查询该目录。

Are the cool Vespa lookalikes legal?
No.
The Vespa lookalikes / Spicy Motors bikes are not street legal for various reasons - weight, voltage, speed (unless you have a 2008 model licenced prior to 8/2008). Additionally, they are not listed in the police database of allowed models. [Spicy, please correct me if I am incorrect on this and I'll update this, but I didn't see yours in there]

...but XXX / Bike shop / my friend etc says its legal?
In short: They're lying.

Caveats:
If you are in living a city other than Shanghai this may be ok.
Different cities, different rules.
If the bike is 2nd hand, and has an existing legal Shanghai licence, and it has been renewed each year, then it is also ok (albeit extremely unlikely).
Otherwise, see the short answer :)

What about repair / warranty?
By Law, bikes have a "三包" (threefold warranty).

If you have issues within 7 days the seller is legally obligated to give your money back if you so wish.
Within 2 weeks, you are guaranteed a replacement bike.
Within 1 year, if you have more than 2 of the same type of failure, they have to replace, or you can get your money back less depreciation.
Consumables such as lights are not covered by this, nor are collisions..

Parts have the following warranties (by law):
Motor: 2 years
Frame, Fork, Charger, Controller, Battery: 1 year

*For batteries, failure is deemed as holding < 60% of original charge.

More details here:
http://www.shbicycle.com/news/ShowArtic ... ticleID=43

Note that it is while it is illegal for shops to sell bikes that cannot be licensed, many still do.

Where can I licence my electric [bike/scooter/moped]?

Addresses for each district:

Bao Shan
宝山区 凇兴西路长征新村23号 56672872

Chang Ning District:
长宁区
天山路11弄12号

No 12, Lane 11, Tian Shan Lu

Hong Kou:
上海市丰镇路118号/上海市水电路1656号
上午8:30—11:30;下午13:30—17:00 周五下午不
受理 65161561

Feng Zhen lu / 1656 Shui Dian Lu
Closed Friday morning.

Huang Pu District:
黄浦区
山东南路49号

49 South Shan Dong rd

Jing An
静安区
昌平路372号

372 Chang Ping road (off Shaanxi road)

Lu Wan District:
思南路、香山路 交界拐角处--卢湾区非机动车管理处
卢湾区 思南路46号 63275000
46 Si Nan lu / Xiang Shan lu

Min Hang District:
上海市沪闵路4888号(莘庄镇靠近颛桥)
上午8:00—11:00;下午13:00—16:30
6489 1010-3015

4888 Hu Min lu

Nan Hui District:
南汇非机动车管理所:

上海市南汇川南奉公路6116号
上午8:30—11:30;下午13:00—17:00
电话58021896

Nan Shi District (Southern parts of City?):
南市区 中山南一路161弄5号 63138859

Pu Dong District:
浦东非机动车管理所:
上海市浦东新区杨高中路1500号上午:9:00—11:30;下午13:30—16:30 周五下午不受理电话28946594
or
浦东新区 浦东南路3640号 58394097

1500 Yang Gao Middle Road
or
3640 Pudong South Road

Putuo District:
普陀区
芦定路325号 52811677

Xu Hui District:
龙吴路2388号,徐浦大桥下面
2388/2138 Long Wu Lu, underneath Xu Pu bridge

徐汇区 龙吴路2138号(徐浦大桥) 64340579

Yang Pu District:
杨浦区
双阳路357号

Zhabei
闸北非机所
上海市天目中路707号
上午8:30—11:30;下午13:30—17:00 周五下午不
受理 63172110

Also 闸北区 共和新路1985号 56650065

707 Tian Mu Middle Road

(suggest call to confirm first)

-----------

[Will update when I find more info!]

Lawrence.
PopStar

Postby ajm » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:12 am

comp: that's a great bit of info! to make it clear about spicy motors M1 and M2 scooters - you are correct that they are not able to be licensed in shanghai.

as they are based on an "older" design, and the new laws don't make it possible for older vehicles (unlicensed) to be licensed today, the easiest thing to do is state that the vehicle was purchased prior to the law being passed. so far *none* of spicy motors' customers have had any problem with unlicensed scooters in shanghai. might help that they are 100% foreigners.
ajm

Postby jeffinflorida » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am

What about those LP/natural gas burning scooters? Are those legal?

So do I need a license plate for my Giant bike (peddle bike)?
Who would have thought that a girl who is a hooker would be a hooker... In China of all places?!?
jeffinflorida
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby compsolutions » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:38 pm

@Jeffinflorida - For LPG see the other stickied thread. This one is for electric bikes.
Pedal bicycles also require you have a licence. I think those are also 11rmb per year.

@ajm - not quite correct. The issue is the weight limit is exceeded, the power limits are exceeded, and lastly the factory does not have a manufacturing license number to sell those within China (at time of writing).
I would expect to see something legal at some point though in that shape, although not for a while.

Whats interesting is that China actually passed legislation *against* electric bikes, some have contended that this has been done to promote car use.
PopStar

Postby daki86 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:08 am

nm
daki86
Squeeker
Squeeker

Re: Electric [Bike / Scooter / Moped] Licence Q&A

Postby 8lrr8 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:36 am

compsolutions wrote:You will need to bring:

* - The fapiao for the bike
* - Valid form of ID (Passport for foreigners)
* - The bike
* - Money to pay for the licence (11rmb currently)
what if u dont have the fapiao?
8lrr8
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby jeffinflorida » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:21 pm

^ no license plate no receipt
Who would have thought that a girl who is a hooker would be a hooker... In China of all places?!?
jeffinflorida
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby zoolander » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:54 pm

just walk................
zoolander
Raver
Raver

Postby jeffinflorida » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:55 pm

^ Along the wild side...
jeffinflorida
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby daniel87 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi, Can I register a bicycle and get a License when Im in Shanghai with a Tourist Visa?
daniel87

Postby dgk42 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:45 pm

thanks for all the info. Quick question -how long does it take to get a license plate? Do all the stores help with this?
Where can you get decent helmets? Haven't found a place yet that carries them. I live in Pudong so recommendations for shops in that area welcome
dgk42

Postby Shanghaiiing » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:49 pm

These guys have some cool helmets http://www.scooteretta.com/Accessories.html
Shanghaiiing
Seeker
Seeker

Postby compsolutions » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:46 am

Plate usually takes a few minutes assuming you have all the bits needed, and you fulfill the requirements.

Typically it may be a day or so, because you need to bring bits, and go when they're actually open for doing the paperwork. China usually entails lots of running around because they don't feel like sharing important info like what to bring, and when they're open.

Hence this post :)

Helmets - most shops will carry. Personally I have the cool looking airforce fighter one, but you can order pretty much anything off of Taobao reasonably easily with marginal effort.

(Ask someone Chinese to help initially for Taobao, then go from there)
PopStar

Postby LXofSweden » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:54 pm

1) So if I buy a 300 RMB bicycle from Carrefour, I need plates for it??

2) Come again? The Vespa lookalikes are illegal?? Are we talking about those scooters that go for about 3000 RMB at basically any bike shop?
LXofSweden
Talker
Talker

Postby emerson » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm

CS--thanks for this. Very helpful.
emerson
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby Shanghaiiing » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:30 pm

LXofSweden wrote:1) So if I buy a 300 RMB bicycle from Carrefour, I need plates for it?? Yes, but half the city doesnt have plates anyway.

2) Come again? The Vespa lookalikes are illegal?? Are we talking about those scooters that go for about 3000 RMB at basically any bike shop?
Nope, they are legal - http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009- ... 658766.htm
Shanghaiiing
Seeker
Seeker

Postby shanghai_flava » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 pm

License plate for bicycles??? U gotta be kidding me.
shanghai_flava
Rocker
Rocker

Postby 5avageNach0 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:14 pm

This is great information.

RESPECT :!:
5avageNach0
Barker
Barker

Mood: Tired

Postby holyshanghai » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Links are dead... and it's a Chinese site. or did I miss the "ENG"?
http://www.HolyShanghai.com
Being a life-aid for expat daily life, PC/Laptop Fixing, Vehicle rental and Housemaid Services
holyshanghai
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Chatfieldbatham » Thu May 13, 2010 3:50 pm

You would really, really, really have to piss of someone to get fined over this.

But I'd love to hear about it if you did....
Strength
Through
Unity
Unity
Through
Faith
Chatfieldbatham
Barker
Barker

Postby maggiehou » Fri May 14, 2010 4:19 pm

How can I get Elecric Moped Licence ? :lol: :D
maggiehou

Postby Frexpat » Sun May 30, 2010 1:30 am

I don't know if it's the right place. But I'm looking for a way to bring my electrical bike back to Europe.
How can I do? (No more than 1000 rmb please)
Frexpat
Seeker
Seeker

Postby sinned69 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:05 am

Frexpat wrote:I don't know if it's the right place. But I'm looking for a way to bring my electrical bike back to Europe.
How can I do? (No more than 1000 rmb please)

I don't think you'll get it there for that price unless you find a foreigner with a container whose going your way. Maybe you could try a shipping agent to check about putting it piece/part load on a container with lots of other consignments. Basically they'll hold your freight until they have enough freight to fill a container then send it. It's cheaper method but can take much longer as it depends on when they can fill the container. I still think the price you're prepared to spend is too low.
45-50wpm w 3-5% error rate. i apologise now for my typos. - damn butter fingers :P
sinned69
PopStar
PopStar

Mood: Cool

Postby Bshaw » Sun May 30, 2010 7:58 am

Other than being a little on the unsafe side, what is the rule on driving a scooter/electric bike after a few drinks?
Bshaw
Ranter
Ranter

Postby KalanStar » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:08 am

Would this be classified as an electric bike/scooter in Shanghai? No license required? I'm thinking ab out importing one from California!

Motor
Type Brushed permanent magnet electric
Top speed 67 mph (105 km/h)

Power System
Type Patent-pending lithium ion array
Capacity 4 kWh (58volts @ 70Ah)
Range Up to 50 miles (80 km)
Recharge time Less than 4 hours
Charger type On-board
Input Standard 110V or 220V

Price: $9,995.00 USD
* Fastest acceleration in its class
* Street and highway legal
* Industry leading power-to-weight ratio
* Less than $.01 per mile to operate

More info: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s.php
Bored Legend...
KalanStar
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby sinned69 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:34 am

KalanStar wrote:Would this be classified as an electric bike/scooter in Shanghai? No license required? I'm thinking ab out importing one from California!

Motor
Type Brushed permanent magnet electric
Top speed 67 mph (105 km/h)

Power System
Type Patent-pending lithium ion array
Capacity 4 kWh (58volts @ 70Ah)
Range Up to 50 miles (80 km)
Recharge time Less than 4 hours
Charger type On-board
Input Standard 110V or 220V

Price: $9,995.00 USD
* Fastest acceleration in its class
* Street and highway legal
* Industry leading power-to-weight ratio
* Less than $.01 per mile to operate

More info: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s.php

No matter it could be granted electric scooter or bike status, it likely would not be allowed in SH. There are restrictions of electric scooter/bikes based on the electric motors output, and SH is not alone in applying such restrictions. Therefore if it was to be categorised as an 'electric 2 wheeled vehicle' then it would fail to meet the restrictions in place in SH.

I've also looked at zero along with other electric (motor) cycle options available from outside China. I was just this past week viewing the latest info from the electric TT Isle of Man race. Lots of exciting developments in electric vehicles... check out evworld which I subscribe to.

One of the biggest downsides is that all of the bikes I viewed are restricted to no more than around 100km range max -give or take a few km's. Some are just a little under that, and for me that's the cut off point. I've already had two big electric scooters here in PRC which aren't available in SH which I bought locally where I live (outside SH) that could squeeze out 65km range. Some of my favourite mountain rides near my home easily can cover that distance. While I enjoyed the scoot's they were great to ride the 3km to my 'workplace' or for a run to the supermarkets etc. but they're just too limited for all the other rides I do. I've more than once ridden to the limits of the batteries and ended up pushing the last 5-10km home or calling my local motorcycle shop where I've bought 6 bikes from over then past 4-5 years for a van collection/ride.

It's far easier to have a normally petrol aspirated engined scoot to ride the distances and destinations I ride to. The biggest hindrance I see is the range that electric vehicles can cover, aside from the affordability factor, for those better than average rides/drives out there. I'm about to buy my fourth motor-scooter a new CFMoto Jetmax 250 for a reasonable RMB17600.

I think the major hurdle you will have is importing such a electromotobike and then trying to get it licensed up there in SH, as it falls outside the permissible restrictions. Hell a foreign guy in SH has just registered/plated a 600cc motorcycle which he bought from a Chinese motorcycle manufacturer, and even with all his Chinese helpers it took him 10 hours yesterday to get only one of two SH motorcycle plates available. Just imagine your new machine, they'll be scratching their heads big time, trying to interpret the 'rules' and try to apply them. Dude you need to be a pretty big fish for that to happen in SH me thinks.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but with such a unique bike as a zero, be prepared for the difficulty, and the likely costs. I'd suspect you will be up for the import duties, taxes as if it was a normal motorcycle, which when trying to import into China is never easy (I know from first hand experience). Be prepared to easily pay double the cost of vehicle, not including freight/shipping etc. And you pay double the cost of what 'they' -the authorities deem the vehicle to be worth new. I tried with my 15 year old BMW K1, that I owned since new... it was.. "well that bike is worth RMB200,000 new so that's what we'll base the duty/tax on. Hell BMW don't make K1's any more... no budging on getting a second hand valuation even I could prove ownership all those years. Yeah, yeah, I heard all the usual "oh you owned it so long" or, "in your situation you are allowed to import 1 vehicle for private use" BS... forget it! They'll apply the rules and regulations as they see it on the day.
45-50wpm w 3-5% error rate. i apologise now for my typos. - damn butter fingers :P
sinned69
PopStar
PopStar

Postby KalanStar » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:47 am

^^Hmmm, if one was to get a plate, would they have to bring the actual bike to the government office? Couldn't one bring normal scooter along and say the plate was for that? Or couldn't one just lie about the motor size etc.? Can they actually test motor output and the like at the license plate office?
Bored Legend...
KalanStar
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby sinned69 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:11 pm

KalanStar wrote:^^Hmmm, if one was to get a plate, would they have to bring the actual bike to the government office? Couldn't one bring normal scooter along and say the plate was for that? Or couldn't one just lie about the motor size etc.? Can they actually test motor output and the like at the license plate office?

well yes you're meant to present the bike for checking. if you were turn up with another bike, that's bending the rules, which might be okay until you are stopped at some checkpoint, either one that targets all bikes, motorcycles or electric-bikes... sooner or later you're likely to be stopped. Now if it was an ordinary looking bike then probably no worries, but the zero is anything but ordinary. Naturally though as things go, the traffic police are likely to be unconcerned or won't want to cause themselves extra work. However the rules are being enforced more and more in SH, especially with the expo etc. As for what they check there for electric bikes I can't say as I don't live in SH. However I see that as being the least of your worries, firstly you have to get the bike landed here and released and I see that as being where the major problems lay for you.
sinned69
PopStar
PopStar

Postby KalanStar » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:14 pm

sinned69 wrote:...firstly you have to get the bike landed here and released and I see that as being where the major problems lay for you.

I've done a bit of research about importing standard gas powered motor cycles. You can import them without any taxes or duty charges if they are used by you only. That can't be sold and must leave the country when you do. Otherwise, it's not a major issue to import motorcycles.

Would an electric one be any different?
Bored Legend...
KalanStar
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Re:

Postby mwm » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Shanghaiiing wrote:
LXofSweden wrote:1) So if I buy a 300 RMB bicycle from Carrefour, I need plates for it?? Yes, but half the city doesnt have plates anyway.

Nope, they are legal - http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009- ... 658766.htm

This article says nothing about the Vespa lookalikes, actually. It sates merely that new regulations have been postponed. Still it's from 2009, so I'm not sure if things have changed or not.
So far the latest list of bikes allowed, that being the link posted earlier on the post - has no picture and makes no mention of the vespa lookalikes being okay to license.
mwm
Talker
Talker

Next

Return to Shanghai Open Chat