Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Fabric Market / Tailors - Which booths are good?

Fabric Market / Tailors - Which booths are good?

Postby jenming » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:57 am

There are a lot of threads around which discuss the fabric market, and whether it's good or not, and give some advice on how to approach them, etc. But I think something we're missing is a consolidated list of Actual Experiences with Booth Numbers.

So, perhaps like this? (answer as many as possible)

1. Booth number (or address of tailor)
2. What did you have made there?
3. How much did it cost?
4. What did you bring to them (fabric/pictures/samples)?
3. Overall impression of the experience (good job? would go back again? worth the money/time?)

I think if we can get a record going of GOOD tailors, we can reward their service, and perhaps avoid some of the bad ones.
I always wanted to be a butcher.
jenming
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Tinkerbells » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:53 am

I think it's stall no 226 on 2nd floor - tailor for suits mostly, tiny one with a male tailor and a woman, both in their late 30s i guess - DONT GO!! I brought down a suit they should copy - they did manage to get the details right, I will give them that, but the sizes were just totally off! Trousers fell straight off, jacket looked like something I'd stolen... And after two fittings down at the market I gave up, and made them deliver it to my door - which they did - and it's still bad work. I've just given up on them to be honest... What's the point in measuring me, if they get it all wrong anyway?! I would think the details should have caused the problems, not the size... I also ordered a shirt in another place just opposite - bad as well, too short, so I won't be able to fit it into the trousers. And I had to do more fittings for this as well. Dress on the other hand - from picture - the thing I expected to be the most problematic of the things I ordered, came out fine! Stall no 213, Zhang Lin designer. I made sure I removed the most intricate details of the dress, but the end result was good! And no fittings, only for some minor details she's forgotten about! I paid 300 for suit, 80 for shirt, 350 for dress - didnt bring anything, bought the materials in their own stalls.
Tinkerbells

Postby tijssie80 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:21 pm

I had a couple of suits made a couple of weeks ago in ok fabrics.
Price: 580rmb for jacket with 2 pairs of pants.
Sizes etc were perfect after the first try.
Finishing could be a little bit (really little) better, have some loose threads they didn't cut short in my pockets but everything seems to be strong and steadily sewed together...
Name of the company is Wei Ji Kang, phone 51708336, mob.13501948017.

Btw, I found there are a couple of fabric Markets, this one is at the end of Fanbang Lu, crossing with Zongshan/Zhonghua Lu (forgot the name of the building, 1st floor, booth 109 I think)
tijssie80
Raver
Raver

Postby JayRothstein123 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:35 pm

I also need a tailor. I really need someone top notch for mens suits. Any ideas. 13601914199
JayRothstein123

Postby AlanFish » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:10 am

I cannot rember the name of the street but around the block from the Jin Jiang Tower Hotel (the Jade Garden Restuarant is in the street I am referring to, as is the entrance to the Jin Jiang Hotel and alos a Shanghai Tang outlet) there are about 5 - 6 tailors. Take your pick they all seem very good.
AlanFish

tailors and clothing

Postby AlanFish » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:34 am

Jenming

I have used a tailor in the Jin Jiang Tower Hotel - Porro and Porro. The current chap is not as good as the previous tailor (Tony) who was great. The new chap's work is variable given the prices charged. He has made me a couple of extremely nice mandarin collar jackets, oen for every day wear, the other for more formal evening functions. A lot of people have commented how nice they look. But the trousers he made me are variable. Whilst he will accept you bringing your own material the price differential is very little between using his cloth and your cloth.

I have alsO had clothes made at The South Bund Soft-Spinning Material Market - 339 LuJiaBang Rd. I have usually found that the quality of the material here is very good. The mens' suit material is great at the top end. Super 100s' and cashmere but you have to search for it. The Thai silk (2nd Floor) is also great. Nevertheless, there is varibale quality in cloth and tailoring.

The best linen I have found is at shop #305 at this market. (Great for the warmer weather). The store operator Shi Fen Bing is good and the prices are very reasonable for what is very good linen. The tailoring arrnaged though this shop is alos good. I recently had a pair of summer weight trousers and a mandarin style jacket made. Total price 580 Yuan. I could probaly have negotiated a better price, but once I received the finished products I was more than happy with the price I had paid. Whilst one monor adjustment was needed on the jacket collar, the finish on the jacket in particular was as good as I have had from more mainstream tailors in HK and Shanghai.

I also had a 100% Cashmere coat, a pair of mixed cashmere and wool trousers and a Black (wool) mandarin jacket made though store #163. The cashmere jacket was made very nicely, but the trousers even after measuring (supposedly properly) were too big in the waist and I will have to retun them on my next visit to Shanghai (next month). The madarin jacket was another event!! After being measured by the female owner, and returning one week later, the jacket went no where near me. The whole thing had to be re-done. In their favour I will say they offered me the smaller jacket for free.

I would be interested in learning about other material markets
AlanFish

Hi,everyone .DO NOOOOT go to No.147 and No.243 at the LuJiab

Postby irana_sean » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:06 pm

Hi,everyone .DO NOOOOT go to No.147 and No.243 at the LuJiabang Road Market (south bund soft spinning material market).The shop's owner there seems like a good guy,but in fact he is very EVIL,like a bad gangster. DO NOOOOT go
irana_sean

Re: Hi,everyone .DO NOOOOT go to No.147 and No.243 at the Lu

Postby LeslieC » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:14 pm

irana_sean wrote:Hi,everyone .DO NOOOOT go to No.147 and No.243 at the LuJiabang Road Market (south bund soft spinning material market).The shop's owner there seems like a good guy,but in fact he is very EVIL,like a bad gangster. DO NOOOOT go

Can you elaborate of what you mean by this? What was the problem exactly?
LeslieC
Lurker
Lurker

Postby JasUK » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:05 pm

i had 2 suits made at 389 which were extremely good. i paid 540 and 510rmb. Then took one of the suits down the road in old shanghai area as you walk out of the soft spinning market towards the old area where they have the same material and got another knocked up for 400rmb, that place was No.51 Wai Chang Qiao Street. Think is owner does not speak English, me no Chinese but you can bargain and be understood its a challenge but worth while.
JasUK
Rocker
Rocker

Postby sonoura » Sun May 11, 2008 10:53 pm

This thread is a bit outdated, but I'm hoping my experiences there can benefit some people who are looking for a good tailor. My experience at Dong Jia Du Fabric Market (399 Liu Jia Bang Rd) has been mixed. Below are reviews of the stalls that my friends and I have been to:

1) Stall 159 - Female clothing
I've gotten a wool dress (300 kuai), and a autumn cotton jacket made here. The wool dress turned out well except for the pockets had to be redone (one was bigger than the other). The autumn jacket was copied from a jacket that I liked that was ruined from a permanent ink stain. The copying skills were well done and it cost 350 kuai. The woman who manages the stall is very professional. I highly recommend her for female clothing.
2) Stall 205 - dress shirts
I found this recommendation online for dress shirts. However, my experience here has not been good. I got a simple white dress shirt made (80 kuai) but the cut of it wasn't symmetrical so I had to get it redone. Also, one of my friends went there and his shirt didn't turn out satisfactorily either.
3) Stall 228 - dress shirts
Try this stall for dress shirts. I got two shirts made there without problems (160 kuai for 2 shirts) and my friend also got his there and it worked well.
4) Stall 243 - suits
Two friends got their suits made here that turned out well. I think the cost of one of them was 550 kuai total for wool pants and shirt.
5) Stall 285 - trousers
My friend got her trousers made here and she likes it pretty well. I can't remember how much it cost but it shouldn't exceed 150 kuai for a pair of normal cotton pants.

Just some perspective -- I can speak Chinese which helps but most of the stall vendors know enough English that it shouldn't present a problem. Just some tips overall:

*going with a good idea of what you're looking for doesn't hurt as the fabric market can be overwhelming with its choices.
    *choices do abound, but these choices are not not great on quality of variation of design so if you're looking for something very unique, bring your own pictures of what you're looking for
    *given the amount that you're paying for, don't expect top notch quality of clothing. I've had to go back for some of my things so don't expect it to be perfect the first time. I think for most of the cases, things have turned out pretty well, but it's not exactly professional.
    *finally, keep in mind that these tailors are trained in a Eastern environment so some of the clothes, at least to me, feel a little bit off in their attempts to look Western

If anyone is looking for something, let me know and I'll try to find out for you ~
sonoura

Postby ongsy18 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:46 pm

ANYBODY HERE KNOWS WHERE IS A BIG WHOLESALE MARKET FOR FABRIC (COTTON AND CANVAS FABRIC) IN SHANGHAI OR YIWU? ALSO WHOLESALE MARKET FOR BAGS?? WILL BE GOING TO CHINA IN SEPTEMBER AND WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE INFO I CAN GET, THANKS MUCH!!!!
ongsy18

Re:

Postby Red Snapper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:17 am

sonoura wrote:1) Stall 159 - Female clothing
I've gotten a wool dress (300 kuai), and a autumn cotton jacket made here. The wool dress turned out well except for the pockets had to be redone (one was bigger than the other). The autumn jacket was copied from a jacket that I liked that was ruined from a permanent ink stain. The copying skills were well done and it cost 350 kuai. The woman who manages the stall is very professional. I highly recommend her for female clothing.

I've just placed an order with this stall. Does anyone have any other tips for womenswear?
Red Snapper
Talker
Talker

Re: Fabric Market / Tailors - Which booths are good?

Postby obrienml2004 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:51 am

To update the thread, we went with the recommendations of Sonoura and purchased a woman's winter cashmere full-length coat at booth 159 and four dress shirts at 228 - both were ordered Sunday morning and both delivered to our hotel without incident two days later, Tuesday night.

The tailors in booth 159 talked me into some style changes I wasn't sure about, but have proven to be better than my original idea. The shirts were perfect, just a tiny bit tighter than my husband would prefer but can't fault the measurements.

Would have been lost without this post and its good info - thanks for that!

M.
obrienml2004

Postby lamian » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:04 pm

I would also like to update this thread regarding the fabric market on Lujiabang Lu:

We can really recommend booth 205 for shirts and blouses. Their samples are not very fancy, but if you know what you want or just need a normal shirt (men/woman) you will get good quality. The lady is a bit shy, not talking much, but she will remember you, when you come back and give you the same price without bargaining anymore. And she was always right, when she suggested some changes in style or size. Fabrics have different quality like everywhere else, but quite a lot are really good.

I wouldn't recommend buying a dress at booth 160. My friend and I went there this summer to have some nice summer dresses made. They were more expensive than others, but had much nicer fabrics. Unfortunately, after two times in the washing maschine (cold, delicates) the colours started kind of mixing and after the third time the dresses looked really horrible (all greenish-pink) We both had the same experience with different fabrics. When I tried to return it, the ladies immediately remembered me. When they realized that it was about some problems, they would't listen to me anymore, just continued reading the newspaper. After a short discussion they said, they didn't know if I was lying, so they wouldn't do anything to solve the problem. That made me speechless and I left. During winter they are mainly selling coats. I can't say anything about the quality, but I guess the 'business conduct' won't change.
lamian

Postby Renovator » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:23 pm

Just remember that the stalls at Lujiabang do not do any more than act as salesmen/women for the tailors in the garment district and that the stalls contract their work to whomever has open time in the garment district so just because you got a certain quality of workmanship one time gives no assurance that you will receive the quality of tailoring on your next purchase. When people talk about the quality of a stall in this market, they are only talking about the ability of the salesperson to communicate with you and to communicate with the tailor that will make your garments.
Renovator
Veejay
Veejay

Postby Klick » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Renovator wrote: When people talk about the quality of a stall in this market, they are only talking about the ability of the salesperson to communicate with you and to communicate with the tailor that will make your garments.

Mostly, but also the ability of the stallholder to spot work that has been done poorly or improperly, and reject it. There is a woman I have gone to a few times whom I trust to inspect garments well and ensure the seams, bindings etc are done to a good standard.
Cack, my blog is buggered.
Klick
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby Renovator » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:04 am

^ I agree as long as you personally introduce someone to the person you know and trust in a certain stall. Otherwise it is only a matter of time before "your person" is out sick, on vacation or takes a job elsewhere and another person is now selling in the same stall who may not reject work in the same manner and then your recommendation comes into question when poorly tailored work comes through. To just recommend a stall number is never a good idea, although that is what most people ask for not realizing the possible consequences.
Renovator
Veejay
Veejay

Where can I get costumes made?

Postby William Charles » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:40 am

Looking for places where I can get a custom outfit (1970s... so cliche) for a fancy-dress function.

Just moved here - tips are welcome!
William Charles

Postby shaya » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:25 pm

no. 228 on the second floor is alright for shirts
first floor no. 155 Katrina you definitely need to avoid, there tailoring is awfull and their attitude is terrible. Had an the worst experience there.
shaya

Postby paulahp » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Jason Tailors on the second floor at the LuJiaBang Street fabric market has done an outstanding job on all of the coats I have made. The coats always fit very, very well and the quality of the tailoring is very high.

DO NOT USE Passy Flore tailors across the street in the small extension of the market. A friend and I went there one evening when Jason Tailors was closed. They did not meet the promised date and then did not meet a second date for all of the items either. They did have 2 identical coats done, but one fit and one did not. They did not want to reimburse us for the coat that did not fit and the unfulfilled orders but finally did after an hour of arguing. They were absolutely terrible, terrible.
paulahp

Postby JeffreyLiving » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:31 pm

The fabric markets are a crap shoot, even if you speak the language and have over 20 years of experience in the garment industry.

1) Define a tailor? or Define a tailor at the fabric market? Is that a sales aid? what kind of advice do they provide? Measurement? Styling? Design? Wardrobe? Whats their experience? Have they lived abroad? Do they understand western fabrics, trims, and fits? Do they understand your needs? Or they just want the sale?

2) Fabrics? Which fabric is best suited for your needs, fit, and drap? Is the content what they say it is? How about testing? Durability? Pill and abrasion tests?

3) Trims? Trims are buttons, lining, fusing, caps, and thread, as well as little things we all would miss. Look at the quality of the trims? Are they of the highest caliber? On top quality designer products it is all about the details and finishing.

4) Manufacturing? What types of machinery will they use to make your garments? Chinese, Japanese, or German? Is the machinery properly and regularly maintained. Is the labor force of age (legal) or experienced? Is the sewing consistent? If necessary is the garment hand-stitched as needed?

My conclusion if you are looking for disposable fashions the fabric market is an ideal place to shop. If you are looking for professional tailors seek elsewhere and pay more... I do this for friends and clients around the world, its a passion and I have 20 years of experiencing in wardrobe analysis, styling, design, and fits. If you're serious, need quality, and experience, send me a message JeffreyLiving at gmail dot com.
JeffreyLiving

Postby lostinvenice » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Hello all, i used booth 345 a while ago and was given a card with a web address, unfortunately though, the website doesn't exist anymore.

Does any of you have an email or web address for any of the stalls you recommend? I am trying to commission some work from abroad.

Thank you
lostinvenice

Postby Aoliya69 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:53 pm

If u r looking for leather garments, 319 booth seems to be very tempting: they have wide range of skins, colors and styles. But my own experience is more than disappointing. For 1500 (and no bargain, believe me, i live in shanghai for years, and bargain in and with chinese without problems) i spent one week overtime coming there almost every day and trying to attach buttons in the right place. What i got finally was: 95%nice but 5%scratched skin on the coat, button eyes just cut in the leather like holes, belt with two layers glued,not stitched together, and a booth owner swear that all that is due to new technology. Nice garment samples that they have in the shop are probably just obtained from factory shops to cheat customers.
P.S. while waiting for my buttons to be attached i ran into two customers, one did not get his jacket at all and was leaving the day after (of course,chinese did not return his deposit ), and second did not get the style he wanted (chinese preferred to make what is easier, even despite they had a detailed picture). So finally i was happy, the only problem about my order was button eyes, belt and overtiming :D
Aoliya69

Postby Brian111 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:40 am

Just went to the ShiLuPu Cloth Market on Dong Men Road, 4 floors of stalls.
Worked with booth 248, Jane. The tailor visited the stall to pick up my order. I found a navy super 280s cashmere for one suit. Had adjustments made on second fitting to smooth the shoulders. Also had one linen suit, two cotton jackets and 5 shirts done up. If I had time for more fittings no doubt everything would be perfect as I am extremely selective. However the quality of fabric is astounding with the cotton looking like silk and the cashmere suit is beautiful. Full silk linings done in an extraordinary manner of detail. Shirts look great. Pants fit perfect, although I had one pair adjusted at the waist on second visit. Only changes would be to reduce or remove shoulder padding as I am a muscular guy. I will attempt to have my local tailor make these changes on the cotton/linen coats. Just under 3k RMB total and done in 3 days. Very impressive.
Brian111

Postby Neonskies » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:42 pm

I can recommend booth 146.

I went to the market to have a suit made as I planned to go to a friend's wedding in the States. The market can be quite overwhelming and I wasn't really sure which stall to go to. In the end I just picked one at random.

The one I picked turned out to be a good one. While it might not look the fanciest, what matters is the service you are going to get. From what I understand, the stores do not actually tailor the clothes themselves, they just contract it out to tailors who are shared among the market stalls. So really all that matters is if the store has friendly staff who can understand your needs and explain them to their tailor.

I can recommend booth 146 on the first floor.
Lin Fen and her husband are very friendly, speak good enough English and are very accommodating. I went for a measurement and picked out my fabric and explained my desired style using photos. This was followed by two fittings where I asked for numerous modifications to the original design. Despite my complicated requests and my changes of mind, Lin Fen was always friendly and happy to accommodate me. The end result was great and always garners positive remarks when I wear it.
I'd recommend.
Neonskies

Postby Chavster » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Renovator wrote:Just remember that the stalls at Lujiabang do not do any more than act as salesmen/women for the tailors in the garment district and that the stalls contract their work to whomever has open time in the garment district so just because you got a certain quality of workmanship one time gives no assurance that you will receive the quality of tailoring on your next purchase. When people talk about the quality of a stall in this market, they are only talking about the ability of the salesperson to communicate with you and to communicate with the tailor that will make your garments.

^This ^^
" Once, it was I who stood in the big, cold schoolroom, a hot crumpet burning my cheeks with shame. Since that day, I have been busy every hour God sent, working to become Prime Minister and fight sloth and privilege wherever I found it."

- Pitt the Younger
Chavster
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby annexu » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:17 pm

I can recommend Shanghai Zhongfu Soft-spinning Material Mall Room B260 on the second floor.Shanghai Zhongfu Soft-spinning Material Mall is the new and biger material martket. I had picked up 4 dresses and suits.
The quality of fabric is good,and the clothes very fit me nicely.
annexu

Postby davidartlife » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:03 pm

actually as i know the shop address will changed , so even best tailor will faint in this market , so better way now is keep his online shop address for continue service .

the shop rent is very high in shanghai now !!!!!!
davidartlife

Postby BigGuy11563 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:35 am

There are better tailors in Shanghai then those at the Fabric Market. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
Baby, if you think your heart can take it, Flap your wings and come Fly with Me.
BigGuy11563
Seeker
Seeker

Postby BigGuy11563 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Mr Wu, Mr Wang, AND Mr Wong,, on HengShen Lu
Baby, if you think your heart can take it, Flap your wings and come Fly with Me.
BigGuy11563
Seeker
Seeker

Return to Shanghai Open Chat