Food Poisoning Question

Food Poisoning Question

Postby daodejing » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:11 pm

I'll start with the timeline: yesterday at 4 p.m. ate beef noodles at a restaurant that had gotten me sick the week before (I know, that was stupid). At 8:30 p.m. had a gin & tonic. At 10 p.m. had a draft beer and some french fries. At midnight I felt really tired and went to bed, even though I had only been up for 12 hours and had gotten plenty of sleep the night before.

I woke up at 6 a.m. feeling uncomfortable, dizzy when I stood up. I didn't go to work. Later in the morning had diarrhea several times until into the afternoon. In the afternoon I got a mild fever and severe fatigue and energy loss. Walking downstairs to get into a taxi to go to the hospital, I almost cried I felt so awful. I'm sitting up now to eat some zhou, but I'll be pretty exhausted in a few minutes and will have to lay down again.

So can you get food poisoning 7 hours after you eat something? I always thought it was a shorter time than that. Can draft beer or french fries give you food poisoning? I didn't think it could.
daodejing
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Rumpelstiltskin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:26 pm

So can you get food poisoning 7 hours after you eat something?

http://tinyurl.com/n6z4y2
Rumpelstiltskin
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby Andreas » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:30 pm

In this country almost everyhting can give you food poisoning. So far I have been lucky. Happens about 1 - 2 times a year. I have seen worse in Africa and the Dominican Rep.
‘How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.’
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas

Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Happy

Postby yu888 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:46 am

probably not the draft beer unless served from a contaminated tap...or just really skunky beer :S

Could be anything as Andreas says... especially as the weather gets warmer, things spoil more quickly.
6 years of experiences, good, bad ugly... and survived.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby jrobards » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:34 pm

generally there is least a 6 hr onset for most foodborne illnesses. classic food poisoning symptomsbut still could be anything...
jrobards
Seeker
Seeker

Postby blueeagle » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:05 pm

What is the recommended self treatment for food poisoning here? Last I went to the local pharmacy, they gave this yellow pill that didn't help at all. Can't find pepto bismol here :(
blueeagle
Seeker
Seeker

Postby BONNIE » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:56 pm

jrobards wrote:generally there is least a 6 hr onset for most foodborne illnesses. classic food poisoning symptomsbut still could be anything...

In Uk I would agree with you, but here I have had dodgy food do a through route in less than an hour :(
“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.”

– Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger
BONNIE
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby BONNIE » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:58 pm

There is a little brown pill in a screw top plastic bottle which works wonders for mild cases of the trots - no idea of the name - maybe a local poster can help?
“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.”

– Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger
BONNIE
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby Andreas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:59 pm

It's called Seirogan, and made of wood creosote. Works like a charm. It's Japanese originally, but you can buy it in any pharmacy here. Works better than Immodium (Loparamine) in many cases.
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas

Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby Andreas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Attachments
seirogan.jpg
seirogan.jpg (37.69 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas

Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby blueeagle » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:48 am

Awesome, thanks. Hope this will help next time I encountered another painful episode, which 99% I will.
blueeagle
Seeker
Seeker

Postby iara » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:13 am

Make a broth with a hard piece of beef, can be muscle. Cook it during 2 hours, just with salt. I usually have small containers with this soup broth in the freezer, it works miracle for sickness w/diarrhea, vomit, lack of apetite.
iara
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby porqueti » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:54 am

You should get you stool analysed, to rule out bacterial infection. In summer,bacterial diarrhea often happens. Maybe you get immunity of bacteria in you own country through your life there, but bacteria in China is new to you, you need a very long time to gain immunity.
porqueti

Postby Chrisse » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:34 pm

blueeagle wrote:What is the recommended self treatment for food poisoning here? Last I went to the local pharmacy, they gave this yellow pill that didn't help at all. Can't find pepto bismol here :(
Rest, drink lots of water (preferable with rehydration salts), if it doesn't pass within a couple of days you should go see a doctor. I think this is pretty much the same all over the world, but of course if you feel REALLY, REALLY ****, go see a doctor right away.

I don't know what that brown pill does but if it in anyway stops the diarrhea or throwing up it might not be that good, usually it is better to let it happen as you need to get the bad stuff out of the body, not keep it in :wink:
Chrisse
PopStar
PopStar

Postby bleepingbleeper » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:44 pm

Andreas wrote:...

haha. surprised you know about the "zhen-lu-wan". my parents used to give those to me as a kid (back in the states) when i had an upset stomach. i used to think they looked and smelled like animal droppings...

these days, i always bring back an economy-size bottle of pepto-bismol with me every time i get to revisit the states.

i heard milk helps to relieve upset stomachs since it helps coat your stomach lining. but i don't know about trusting the milk in china...

diarrhea pills like immodium don't seem to have much of any impact, so i don't bother with those. just replenish your water supply with drinks like gatorade or sprite....something with electrolytes.

i have spent over 2yrs in china, and don't get really bad food poisoning much anymore. it used to happen pretty often during my first 6mos or so. so bad that i would often have to take off work and drank pepto at nearly every meal.

you just have to have the discipline to stick with the restaurants that you know you are okay to eat at. you can't be too adventurous if you're still relatively new here.
bleepingbleeper
Veejay
Veejay

Postby monalisalee » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:55 pm

A couple pots of yoghurt does the job for me. Like milk, I guess, puts a lining on the stomach.
Or maybe the live bacteria in yoghurt eats the bad ones.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Return to Health Care