For those who works for Disney English

For those who works for Disney English

Postby nhimlisa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:41 am

Hi all!
I'm in the process of applying for Disney English (particularly in Shanghai) and I want to know the arrival date for orientation & training. I asked my recruiter but she couldn't give me an answer. I want to plan the rest of my summer vacations but desperately need to know approx when I need to be in China if I were to start in Sept 1(? I know they hire year round). If any of you can help, much appreciated! thanks!
nhimlisa

Re: For those who works for Disney English

Postby Andreas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:44 am

Not really a good sign, if your recruiter cant give you the information. There was a post about this organisation on this forum earlier.
‘How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.’
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas

Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Happy

Postby nhimlisa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 am

I read all the postings already. Well.. my recruiter asked my available start date and I said end of August but I just really would like to know when (what day) I need to arrive to China. I taught English in Korea for a year at a public elementary school and I experienced all the 'cutthroat' scenarios so I'm pretty prepared to teach in China (I think).
nhimlisa

Postby Miss Fugliness » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:27 am

common sense man! If you start end of August, at least be here 2-3 weeks before your start date. Don't you need to settle down? I know they provide you with housing (most of the time), at least you need time to settle down and poke through your neighborhood. LOL... What I meant is get to know the metro, where to do your groceries, things to expect here...etc.
Big Bang Theory Season 5: http://tv.sohu.com/s2010/bigbang/

Sheldon: Amy, with the understanding that nothing changes whatsoever, physical or otherwise..I would not object to us no longer characterizing you as "not my girlfriend"
Miss Fugliness

Sssshhh.....

Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Mood: Angry

Postby jajaja365party » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Disney English is the best one of kid's English school in Shanghai I guess.
My daughter has been a little student of Disney English for a year. Really expensive cost.
There are 12 branch-schools in shanghai, which one are you going to? Maybe i can do something for you if you are going to the JinQiao center.
pinata,costume,helium balloon,magician,clown,bouncy castle, etc.
jajaja365party
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby jesslsk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:12 pm

what can i say...oh, good luck...
Enjoying Shanghai Life...
jesslsk
PopStar
PopStar

Postby Miggy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Disney English has to work with local employment law. So they can't require their existing teachers to give more than one month's notice as to whether or not they plan to move on at the end of their current contract, leaving room for a new hire. This is unfortunate because it takes two or three months for them to find a suitable foreign teacher candidate to meet their standards (and it takes equally as long for someone to decide to move to China and work for them). Thus, the Disney English recruiting department has to try to anticipate future openings, but can't give a solid start date until someone submits their formal resignation. Sounds to me like they've decided they want to hire you (i.e. you're in the hiring "pipeline"), but they can't give you a firm date until someone officially resigns according to Chinese labor law.
Miggy

Postby Miggy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Miss Fugliness wrote:common sense man! If you start end of August, at least be here 2-3 weeks before your start date. Don't you need to settle down? I know they provide you with housing (most of the time), at least you need time to settle down and poke through your neighborhood. LOL... What I meant is get to know the metro, where to do your groceries, things to expect here...etc.

Disney English used to (and probably still does) provide up to one month in a fairly cheap hotel, assign a real estate agent to help you find your own place, and help you to get familiar with the neighborhood, subway, phones, etc. As far as I know, for full-time foreign teachers, they all get a housing allowance, but are given the freedom to choose their own apartment rather than just being placed in housing by the corporation.
Miggy

Postby KopyKatKiller » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Don't worry about the start date. Just tell them when you'll arrive at their headquarters. You'll sign an employment contract your first day there and you'll be paid from that date onwards regardless of them having an opening or not. Once you are hired, they'll give you training on how to sing and dance etc., oh and some teaching skills too perhaps, and then they'll start duping, I mean recruiting, students into classes for you to teach.

BTW: One year teaching as an ALT in Korea doesn't actually qualify you to get an FEC in Shanghai, so start faking your resume now.

FYI: I make plenty of spelling mistakes myself, but... You should change your thread title from "For those who works..." to "For those who work..." ;)
KalanStar is Sinolicious!
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby Miggy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:21 pm

When you arrive, your month of hotel time starts ticking away. They run onboarding programs, including house-hunting, subway orientation, etc. on a regular schedule, so if you arrive off-schedule, by the time you get that support you will have used up part of your allocated hotel stay, so may need to decide on your own place more quickly. (But frankly, the faster you can get out of a so-so hotel and into your own place, the happier you'll be.)

In addition to their corporate onboarding program, you'll be required to be certified by the online TEFL-C training program they use, which teaches theories and approaches, methods, and teaching techniques. The best parts of TEFL-C are all the classroom activity ideas in there and the fact that you end up with a TEFL certificate bearing the Teachers College, Columbia University name.

I'm not sure you'll be paid from your arrival date onwards if you arrive off their standard onboarding schedule. That's something you should clarify with their HR/Recruiting department.
Miggy

Postby ELDW2510 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:45 am

Hiya,
I have been offered a job with Disney English and i'm rather excited however i have a few things i want to know.
What is it really like?
Do you get enough time to recuperate from the working day?
How long are the shifts?
When looking for housing do you share or do you all live separately?
What is on boarding programs

I know a lot of question however i just want to put my mind at ease.

Thanks
ELDW2510

Postby Stark » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:59 am

What kind of organization is Disney English if potential employees have to resort to asking these kinds of questions on a public internet forum?

The fact that you felt compelled to post this would be a red flag in my book. Do they even have an HR person? Housing? Length of classes? What is the 'onboarding' orientation? Pretty basic stuff that they should communicate early and clearly.
Stark
Rocker
Rocker

Postby ELDW2510 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Stark wrote:What kind of organization is Disney English if potential employees have to resort to asking these kinds of questions on a public internet forum?

The fact that you felt compelled to post this would be a red flag in my book. Do they even have an HR person? Housing? Length of classes? What is the 'onboarding' orientation? Pretty basic stuff that they should communicate early and clearly.

No they have all of what you stated, however i'm just over sensitive, they have explained heaps of things to me but so many reviews makes me question myself, then i worry that its just speech to employ people.

I am just a worrier,i want to make sure I am making the best choice.
ELDW2510

Postby Misteral » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:56 pm

You decide when you want to arrive, tell them and see what happens.
Misteral
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Return to Shanghai Open Chat