Gluvine recipes?

F&B, Groceries and everything in between!

Gluvine recipes?

Postby Adrienne » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:01 pm

I know I can google it but just wondered if anyone had any good recipes and/or tips. My Christmas is usually spent sipping ice cold Sangria on a hot day but this year am having a cold chrissy for a change.

Anyone with some advice on how to make Gluvine?

Many thanks!

Adrienne Farrelly
Shanghai Properties - "Expat agents speak your language"
13122 810 421
manager@shanghaiprops.com
http://www.shanghaiprops.com
http://www.adriennefarrelly.tumblr.com
Last edited by Adrienne on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Adrienne
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Tired

Postby kilted-txn » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:32 am

This was printed in the Fort Worth Star Telegram - Food section yesterday.

Drink of the week
Laura Samuel Meyn
Special to the Star-Telegram
Years ago, during the holiday season, my husband took me to Hamburg, his father's hometown in Germany. Wandering through the chilly outdoor Christmas markets, we stopped often for a mug of Gluhwein (pronounced GLUE-vine), a hot, spiced red wine that vendors serve mit Schuss (with a shot of rum) upon request. Make a batch to share with friends, and you will soon know why Gluhwein translates to "glow wine."

Gluhwein
Serves 6
3 cinnamon sticks
10 whole cloves
1/2 large orange
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
2 (750-milliliter) bottles inexpensive dry red wine (such as merlot)
Rum (optional)
1. Enclose cinnamon sticks and cloves in large mesh tea ball or cheesecloth (breaking cinnamon sticks to fit as necessary); place in large pot. 2. Place orange half on work surface. Using knife, cut thick strips (including peel, pith and a bit of fruit) away from orange.
3. Add water and sugar to spices in pot and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add orange rind to pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Add wine to spice mixture and place pot over medium heat. Heat mixture, stirring occasionally, until hot (do not boil). Pour into mugs, adding a shot of rum to individual servings as desired, and serve hot.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 335 calories, trace fat, 45 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram protein, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 167 milligrams sodium, 4 grams dietary fiber, 2 percent of calories from fat

Hope this helps.
kilted-txn

Postby Kiwi » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:36 am

If you want more of a novelty I reckon this one looks cool.

http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2007/ ... rs-bishop/

OK, it's apple brandy and cider and stuff rather than wine. . .
All for rum, and rum for all!
Kiwi
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Globus » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:14 am

The kilted recipe looks good. I would use honey instead of sugar and add lemon peel and juice to the recipe. As for the wine, better to use unoaked ones..
Globus
Seeker
Seeker

Postby shanghaithunder » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:12 am

Wow! I really miss those cold winter nights in Germany sipping Gluwine in the street while looking at all the decorations on the Tannebaum in downtown Koln. (sip sip Ahhhhhhhh!) (mit aus zucker)
shanghaithunder
Reacher
Reacher

Postby jasperbear » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:55 am

The recipe I use is a little bit different than kilted-txn but is a tried and true recipe passed on through my family. Hmm...I cannot wait to drink this over Christmas!

3/4 cup water
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 orange
10 whole cloves
1 (750 milliliter) bottle red wine

1. In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer.

2. Cut the orange in half, and squeeze the juice into the simmering water. Push the cloves into the outside of the orange peel, and place peel in the simmering water. Continue simmering for 30 minutes, until thick and syrupy.

3. Pour in the wine, and heat until steaming but not simmering. Remove the clove-studded orange halves. Serve hot in mugs or glasses that have been preheated in warm water (cold glasses will break.)
jasperbear
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Adrienne » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:57 pm

Thanks kilted, globus and jasper bear for your great recipes and tips. Am looking forward to making it and even more to drinking it.

Kiwi, I see it's not just beer that the pomes drink warm:) Thanks, shall give that one a try too as soon as I can work out what half a gallon is.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Adrienne
http://www.shanghaiprops.com
Adrienne
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Tired

Return to Food & Drink