Good EPON modem for china telecom 10m ftth

Information on everything from mobile apps to buying a new laptop or PC

Good EPON modem for china telecom 10m ftth

Postby Bakou » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Looking for recommendations for a good epon modem with port forwarding and stability. The default CT one needs to be rebooted daily, no admin access etc etc
Bakou
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Good EPON modem for china telecom 10m ftth

Postby computersolutions » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:42 am

I've been buying mine off Taobao for 80-100 odd.
You'll need to take the settings off the current one though.

I'd only bother if you have a router + modem in one. Those are crap.
The modem's are fine though.

Taobao EPON and you'll find plenty of places selling.

This is the place I bought my last 3 or 4 from - http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8551064763
No issues, other than setup, and tossing out the horrible horrible Huawei units they'd installed.
computersolutions
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby Bakou » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:24 pm

Yea i have a router modem combo Its terrible cant forward ports and fails randomly I can't login to admin of the CT modem. Is the username and password enough in terms of settings?
Bakou
Lurker
Lurker

Postby computersolutions » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:33 pm

For EPON based ones (Fibre users), you'll need to call Telecom to come in, as they don't give the settings out for that, and its custom per location.
For ADSL based - you just need the user/pass for the PPPoE login.
computersolutions
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby PNWer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:51 pm

If I understand your user experience
1) get your own EPON ( you had tried - http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8551064763)
2) call China Telecom to install the EPON

Q: Will China Telecom work on EPON eqt they did not supply themselves ?
PNWer
Reacher
Reacher

Postby computersolutions » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:37 am

Yes, as we've done this a number of times at various clients residences.
computersolutions
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby Dazzz » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Is it possible to flash a bought EPON with english firmware before they install it ?
Get Shanghai Questions answered http://www.shanghaisolved.com
Bother me on Twitter http://twitter.com/DigitalArsonist
Dazzz
Reacher
Reacher

Postby computersolutions » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:06 pm

1) They have english firmware already (and Chinese).
2) You don't need to do anything on the modem side, so rather pointless doing anything in it except for the initial setup (which Telecom will need to do anyway).
computersolutions
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby PNWer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:23 pm

thanks for the clarification.
I will post our experience once we get a friend to help out on ordering the EPON from taobao shop.
PNWer
Reacher
Reacher

Postby loowk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Bakou wrote:Yea i have a router modem combo Its terrible cant forward ports and fails randomly I can't login to admin of the CT modem. Is the username and password enough in terms of settings?

If your router modem combo model is RG201O-CA (Alcatel) , http://article.kdslife.com/content_21656.html list steps to obtain telecomadmin password.
Steps are in Chinese. Google Translate into English. Despite the translation "noise", pretty easy to comprehend the steps.

Got the password. Password format is telecomadminXXXXXXXX (Xs are digits, 8 in total)

and login 192.168.1.1 as telecomadmin, definitely more settings than useradmin. The settings are all "Greek" to me...
loowk
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Mister_happy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Just ordered the EPON as recomended by computersolutions, now what? Can I use my standard Cisco/Linksys WRT320N adsl wifi router, or will I require something else?

The router modem provided by CT is a POS and gives me loads of IP address conflicts, but I am running 5 PCs and 5 Laptops, iPad, itouch and 2 smart phones.
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Veejay
Veejay

Postby computersolutions » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:53 am

Can use your standard WRT320 with it.
computersolutions
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby Mister_happy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:50 pm

Cheers, I will let people know what improvements it makes once the man on the bicycle delivers from TaoBao!
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Veejay
Veejay

Postby Dazzz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:28 am

Ordered the Modem , they come install my FTTH tomorrow. I shall report back :)
Get Shanghai Questions answered http://www.shanghaisolved.com
Bother me on Twitter http://twitter.com/DigitalArsonist
Dazzz
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Mister_happy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:00 pm

I would have fitted mine but Mrs Happy is in Germany for a while and I am left looking after a 3 yr old, no time to play with my toys.
Mister_happy
Veejay
Veejay

Postby jet5354 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:22 pm

getting my ftth tomorrow as well! dreading the default hardware. so everyone is switching the box out for the http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8551064763 listed above.

username/password can be obtained via these steps? http://article.kdslife.com/content_21656.html
jet5354
Rocker
Rocker

Postby loowk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:38 pm

jet5354 wrote:username/password can be obtained via these steps? http://article.kdslife.com/content_21656.html

Yes, username and password can be obtained. Password is base64 encrypted. Google base64 encrypt/decrypt for app to decode it.

After many nights of trials and errors (multiple times resetting routers/modems), I managed to get my TP-Link router to PPPOE through the CT-supplied EPON modem/router (instead of replacing it).

The TP-Link acts as DHCP server. Obvious improvements felt. No problem so far (touch wood...). Will monitor over next few days for any problems...
loowk
Seeker
Seeker

Postby jet5354 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:25 pm

thanks loowk. i'm gonna try and kindly ask the chinatelecom guy that comes tomorrow for the username and password. should make life a lot easier.

actually i'm gonna call ahead now and see if the installation technician can bring an epon modem only and set it up with my router tomorrow.
jet5354
Rocker
Rocker

Postby jet5354 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:40 pm

so i told the installation technician that i want to use it with my own router. he set the zte box to be a modem only and disabled the router features. i have my router plugged into it and it all works perfectly :)
jet5354
Rocker
Rocker

Postby undeclinable » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:04 pm

loowk wrote:
jet5354 wrote:username/password can be obtained via these steps? http://article.kdslife.com/content_21656.html

Yes, username and password can be obtained. Password is base64 encrypted. Google base64 encrypt/decrypt for app to decode it.

After many nights of trials and errors (multiple times resetting routers/modems), I managed to get my TP-Link router to PPPOE through the CT-supplied EPON modem/router (instead of replacing it).

The TP-Link acts as DHCP server. Obvious improvements felt. No problem so far (touch wood...). Will monitor over next few days for any problems...

Hey loowk!
Thank you very much, I managed to find the password ;)
I have a question now: is there any chance to switch the language to english?!
Cheers!
undeclinable

Postby loowk » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:08 am

^
I'm looking for that too...

No language option that I know of.

I tried changing the "Chinese" to "English" in the config file and upload back to the modem/router. No effect whatsoever. Everything is still in Chinese.

I manage by by using Chrome browser translation feature and copy/paste Chinese sentence to Google Translate...
loowk
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Bakou » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Yea actually I have the RG2010 EPON gateway, the one from alcatel lucent. But I can't even access the settings through useradmin so I can't begin to follow those instructions.. Anyone who got this to work want to clarify?
Bakou
Lurker
Lurker

Postby loowk » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:46 pm

^
1) At 192.168.1.1, login as useradmin
2) copy/paste http://192.168.1.1/backupsettings.conf to browser (IE/Firefox/Chrome/..) to download this conf file.
3) use Notebook.EXE to open backupsettings.conf
3.1) Search for "telecomadmin". Look out for "telecomadminXXXXXXXX" Xs are digits. This is the telecomadmin (superuser) password
4) Logout useradmin from 192.168.1.1
5) Again at 192.168.1.1, username : telecomadmin, password : telecomadminXXXXXXXX (as you get from the conf file)
loowk
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Bakou » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:21 am

Like I said, I can't login as useradmin.. The given password doesn't seem to work, nor does leaving it blank or anything else I could think of. I have a user, SN and password but none are helping.. Any ideas?
Bakou
Lurker
Lurker

Postby loowk » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:12 pm

yikes....mis-understood...

if password at back of modem/router is not the one, call CT hotline?
loowk
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Mainsail » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Just wanted to acknowledge computersolutions for his help on this topic. I just purchased a new Huawei 810e and have had significant speed improvements. Here are the details:

1) Purchased the modem in Xiujiazui and paid RMB150. I would not recommend purchasing there since all the units were all refurbished.

2) Installation with China Telecom service was easy. The installer was genuinely happy to see the modem and said it was much better than the one supplied. He also acknowledged that their modem breaks constantly. He gave me all passwords.

3) I had 2 RG2010-CA modems break within 6 months. Symptoms include slow 5 minute+ connection speeds and a much slower ping and speed. So you still have connectivity but the speed just slows. I would note the time for connection on a new unit was a couple of minutes and by the end it took 5 minutes to connect.

Hope this helps others. Happy Computing in 2012 to all.
Mainsail
Talker
Talker

Postby undeclinable » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:54 pm

^
Thanks for sharing!

How did you contact the China Telecom guys? Do they speak English?
And how long did it take before they came to your plance to replace the standard router with your new modem?

Is there no chance to install the EPON momem by yourself finding the connection parameters in the backupsettings.conf file?

Thanks in advance for a feedback and happy new year everybody!
undeclinable

Postby Mainsail » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:21 pm

Call 10000 to get China Telecom customer service then follow the instructions to get English speaking operators. The repair man was called at 10am and came at 4:30. This seems pretty typical for downtown. Frankly its pretty impressive. More impressive would be getting equipment that doesn't break. If you can't talk to the repair guy call the customer service and they will translate for you.

Can you do it yourself? Probably but why bother? The repair took maybe 20 minutes? You essentially need three bits of information: 1) PPOE user name, 2) PPOE Password, 3) access code input into the new modem (not the modem's username and password).

Many of us have the first two (if you ask they'll give them to you), the 3rd will probably need a technician. The modem would not synch to the network without this access code frankly I don't know exactly what it was, or did, as I don't read well but it went into the "security" section of the modem.

This is nothing to be afraid of and if you want to bulletproof your system do it before your modem breaks.

Again I am indebted to Computersolutions for this fix.

PS I went to Xiujiawei because I wanted a modem in a hurry. Frankly, they were all in bad shape and I had to go back once to get one that worked. I would find a new one on taobao if I had to do this again.
Mainsail
Talker
Talker

Postby robz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:07 am

This Saturday CT came to me and installed my new fiber line. As I read this thread before I was well prepared and ordered the modem HG810e in advance, but the CT guy refused to install it. He said it is better and more stable but he couldn't do it, so I gave the big white box a try, but I definitely want to switch, web browsing is slower than before and IPSec VPN connections get immediately refused. What is the correct setup, I think I have the access code because he only typed one number and this one I have.

I connect the HG810e to the fiber line and setup the access code. Then I connect my router's WAN port to the HG810e's LAN port and setup my router using PPPoE, is that correct?
robz

Postby jet5354 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:45 am

still using the supplied white box as modem only with my own router. getting about 16mbs down now.

what speeds are you guys getting since the automatic upgrade?
jet5354
Rocker
Rocker

Next

Return to Technology