Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  Receive our weekly newsletter.   I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

HELP!! TP-link wireless router and China Unicom dial-up

Information on everything from mobile apps to buying a new laptop or PC

HELP!! TP-link wireless router and China Unicom dial-up

Postby kiwitay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:37 pm

I've been trying for the past 2 days and still have not been able to get it working.

We have installed the China Unicom's 4MB broadband PPPoE and we bought a TP-Link TL-WR841N Ver 7, 11N wireless router. I've tried following the step by step instructions that came with the router but it worked for a really short while on the 1st laptop, but once we disconnect and tried to connect again, problem started.

The wireless router seems to be working fine and 'connecting' with the laptop. The modem fm China Unicom is also working fine. If I connect directly with the ethernet cable, I can dial-up and connect properly. But it's not working when connected to the wireless router.

Could some kind souls please guide me through how to reset whatever I've done earlier and re-setup the whole thing? I'm not very good at computer and tried to find guides online. Most of the English guides work with Vista or earlier OS. The Chinese one is too complicated for me to understand and decipher which command is which on my English Windows 7 OS. :cry:: Please help.

Thanks in advance.
kiwitay
Barker
Barker

Re: HELP!! TP-link wireless router and China Unicom dial-up

Postby LtSaw » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:45 pm

First it's not dial-up. Second it's not ADSL either, if you get internet from Ethernet cable. Third — you don't need a modem when using router on cable connection. Just put your login and password under WAN settings on router and that's all.
Confucius: "One to go to sleep with itchy butt will wake up with stinky finger"
LtSaw
PopStar
PopStar

Postby p1atl10 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:04 pm

More specifically....Plug the wireless router in.

Make sure you have a connection to the router through either a cable or wireless. Cable works better if your router has both.

Fire up your browser.
Enter http://192.168.1.1 This is the default address for your router.

Go into settings and put in the address and password you should have been supplied by Unicom.

Hey now...off you go!
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.....Dave Barry
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby kiwitay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:07 pm

thank you thank you. I've actually reset the whole thing and run thru the step-by-step all over again on my Lenovo laptop and it's working fine now.

Anyway, thanks again!
kiwitay
Barker
Barker

Return to Technology