How can I find waiters waitresses?

How can I find waiters waitresses?

Postby stokiegal » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:07 pm

Yes I know I can advertise - and I have - on this site too - but my question is Why is it so hard to find waiters/ waitresses for my cafe/ bar?

I'm paying 12 RMB an hour, have various shifts available, and we treat the staff decently - free food/ drink etc. So why is it that the only people who apply to the ads are Fillipinos who cant speak Chinese? Is it because I'm asking for them to be able to speak a little English (as well as Chinese)? Or is it because the cafe is in Puxi?

Right now I'm looking for daytime and evening staff and it's driving me mad!

If anyone has any ideas or knows of anyone please let me know

Thanks!
stokiegal
Seeker
Seeker

Postby DesertSpider » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:01 am

Walk into a restaurant.... ;) ask them how much they make, start thinking like your competition: STEAL the talent from someone else's place.

You'll get a really good feel, and fast, what you need to do to "fix" your problem...
DesertSpider
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby evangeline » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:01 am

nonsense, what if the competitor did the same to get the staffs back?
evangeline
Lurker
Lurker

Postby freeman2007 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:06 am

there is a job market in the hankou stadium where you can go check for staff we did that 2 years ago when i was in shanghai and opening a restaurant for other people. i think it is every saturday but there is also a plce there where you can put your ad for mpeople to come and look at it

they had trouble to find waitresses 2 years ago even giving good pay many girls said they preffer work in an office for much less salary than working in a restaurant because too hard.

there is also this company you can try but you have to pay those guys to find staff
aspecto 6385 8406 the girl i know is called jessica she is chinese but speak very good english they are located 22d century bashi building
398 huaihai rd
to get into the building you have to go around
freeman2007
Reacher
Reacher

Postby freeman2007 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:07 am

the website i forgot is:

www.aspecto-asia.com
freeman2007
Reacher
Reacher

Postby yu888 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:53 am

sorry evangeline but DesertSpider is right. To find the best staff, many small places need to resort to "recruiting" methods as he has described. Qualified service staff are not loyal as they are in high demand, and newer service staff tend never to have been trained on quality service standards. Tough position.

Good luck Stokiegirl. I assume you had this issue listed as a challenge you would face in your business plan but just didnt expect it to be THIS difficult.
6 years of experiences, good, bad ugly... and survived.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby stokiegal » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:15 am

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I knew I would need to recruit staff but didn't think it would be a problem (I was an HR Manager for over 10 years) but my experience in recruiting corporate staff doesn't really help, hospitality staff seem to be different and have different drivers and loyalties.

Anyway, since I wrote I've put the word out, posted more ads and will follow up the advise you guys have given - sure it will be fine in a couple of days - things change very quickly around here!!

Cheers!
stokiegal
Seeker
Seeker

Postby DesertSpider » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:16 am

stokiegal wrote: hospitality staff seem to be different and have different drivers and loyalties.

Yep, in order of preference for your target employee these will be:

1. pay

2. auxiliary benefits: free food, free drinks, 'bathroom' [read: smoke and txt msg here] breaks, etc.

3. 'difficulty' of their exact job vs. pay rate [side work & actual work]

4. geographic proximity of your establishment to their home, aka: easy access

5. any other personal perks they can think of on an individual basis - can my friends work here ? [you'd be smart to start a referral program for the best talent] can my parents eat for free / discount from time to time ? [keep the good employees that are making you $$$] can I show up late or leave early w/o recourse ? [flexibility / slack for good performers]

etc. ;)
DesertSpider
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby swisscook » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:21 am

Well, opening in hospitality is never easy - I've worked in the business for a long time and it still amazes me to see how many people neglect the staffing issue. I mean who in there right mind wants to work as in hospitality ? It's hard work, irregular hours and usually lousy paid. And in a place like shanghai very restaurants open and close within the hour it is also a job security issue. I'd say you're best bet would be to advertise with regular schedule ( yes, you might need an extra waiter or two to be able to stick to itt ), decent pay and eventually provide uniforms and cleaning. Wish you all the best
swisscook
Ranter
Ranter

Postby evangeline » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:01 am

hi stokiegal, i think that works. interview them to make sure they are qualified.

good luck!
evangeline
Lurker
Lurker

Postby evangeline » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:28 am

ok maybe the best way is follow up DesertSpider's advice to get some experienced ones. and follow up mine to get some new staffs.
Ask the experienced staffs to give some basic on the job trainings to the new ones, so that they can pick up faster. even if others steal the experienced from you later, you can still survive.

on your flyers you may want to indicate "relevant working experience preferred but not a must ."

translate all your ads to chinese for better understanding :)
evangeline
Lurker
Lurker

Return to Shanghai Open Chat