How (long) to stop the shakes or tremors?

How (long) to stop the shakes or tremors?

Postby TheMasterofDisaster » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:59 pm

i presume im an alcoholic so i have very bad shaking/ tremors in my hands arms and just generally.

I will need to return to the world of work soon and was wondering how long after u stop drinking do the shakes go away? also is there any medicine that cud stop them even if i dont stop?

a strange question, but its embarassing and i cant keep a job with such obvious tremors.
TheMasterofDisaster
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Andreas » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:01 pm

Mate, 2 - 3 weeks on the wagon, while cleaning your body by drinking plenty of water, plus eating well and varied, should do the job. Good luck!
‘How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.’
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas

Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Happy

Postby Adrienne » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Are you sure it is alcohol related? There's a condition called familial tremors which causes bad tremours. Beta blocker's keep it at bay.

Adrienne Farrelly
Shanghai Properties - "Expat Agents speak your language"
Mbl: +86 13122810421
manager@shanghaiprops.com
http://www.shanghaiprops.com
http://adriennefarrelly.tumblr.com/
Last edited by Adrienne on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrienne
FooSlinger
FooSlinger

Mood: Cool

Postby ant » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:22 pm

If you genuinely think you are alcohol dependent, then it is dangerous for you to just stop drinking as there is a good chance of you having a seizure. You can undergo alcohol detoxification which would need the input of a doctor as a reducing regime of benzodiazepines is prescribed. Also, you would need to be under medical supervision whilst the detox. is taking place - here in Shanghai that would probably mean being admitted to hospital as community health services are non existent. If this is a serious posting, I'd suggest you seek medical advice.
ant
Seeker
Seeker

Postby mswp » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:47 am

ant wrote:If you genuinely think you are alcohol dependent, then it is dangerous for you to just stop drinking as there is a good chance of you having a seizure. You can undergo alcohol detoxification which would need the input of a doctor as a reducing regime of benzodiazepines is prescribed.

Not really. I don't know the exact statistics. But the overwhelming majority (like 99.999%) of people can stop drinking with no serious health risks. In the US, in the 1980's, insurance companies were paying out huge amounts for treatment of alcoholism -- so the process of detoxing -- or just plain on stopping drinking -- became an illness. Most people can do it with mild discomfort and no serious side effects. Only if you are drinking a quart or more every day, drinking in the morning, or engaging in other activities that are symptoms of chronic and long term alcohol abuse, would you need to worry about withdrawal.

There are lots of reasons for tremors - Parkinsons Disease is one -- see a western doctor. Be honest about your alcohol consumption and see what they have to say.
mswp
Raver
Raver

Postby DesertSpider » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:24 am

I've found that some decent sauna time [hot so you sweat] aids in this process... just be careful not to over do it the first few times, don't want to send your body into shock through excessive dehydration.

I used to take a water bottle that was 70+% frozen in with me and sip a little at a time... do that two times a day, drink plenty of purified cold water and eat vitamins like they were tic-tacs and you should be good.
Last edited by DesertSpider on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DesertSpider
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby CK1 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:13 pm

Are you slightly joking about being an alcoholic or are you genuinely concerned?

If it is a through-away comment, then just quit drinking for a while, sleep and eat well, drink plenty of water and do some exercise. You will be feeling well within a week.

If you are worrying about your drinking, if it is affecting your work, friendships, relationships, or if you're blacking out, or craving a drink every day, then I recommend seeking help either from a Western doctor or a support group like AA here in Shanghai.
CK1
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby ant » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:21 pm

I would still repeat, that if anyone is genuinely alcohol dependent, there is a risk of fitting if you simply stop consuming alcohol. Of course, the majority of people who simply drink too much are not at risk if they abstain from alcohol. If however, an individual has been drinking large amounts for a sustained period and - as mswp rightly points out - there are symptoms of dependence such as craving for alcohol on awakening, then it is never advised to simply stop drinking. A thorough assessment by a health professional would be required to ascertain the level of the problem. If the tremors subside after further alcohol is consumed, this is possibly an indicator of alcohol dependence but, without having any depth of detail, very difficult to say. Also, you can't generalise on amounts of alcohol consumed: "only if you are drinking a quart or more a day" as sex, body weight, metabolism, liver function etc., will all have a bearing on what determines a safe amount of booze. I'm from the UK and worked in the health profession. In my experience, detoxing was only an intervention from necessity and not simply for somebody who drank a bit too much. In this context, it is not simply stopping drinking but having measures in place to alleviate unpleasant - and potentially dangerous - withdrawal symptoms.
ant
Seeker
Seeker

Postby mswp » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:04 am

If he only "presumes" that he's an alcoholic, then the tremors could be other things.

If he was drinking enough to induce morning tremors, he would KNOW he was an alcoholic.
mswp
Raver
Raver

Return to Health Care