Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  Receive our weekly newsletter.   I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Hygiene problems at Waga's on Jianguo road/Jiashan road

Hygiene problems at Waga's on Jianguo road/Jiashan road

Postby jc20 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:02 pm

FYI. Yesterday went for lunch at Waga's on Jianguo Rd/Jiashan Rd. Took my kid to the toliet and when we just finished, a guy came out from one of the cubicles, put on his Waga's hat and went straight out of the exit. We followed him back into the restaurant and he went back into the kitchen. What was disturbing was that he worked for Waga's and didn't wash his hands after a No. 2.... I thought this was pretty disgusting especially after just finishing lunch.... When I left I asked to speak to the manager, but he wasn't in (the guy at the counter said he would tell his boss, but I doubt it).

Next time you order a sandwich, you should ask them to tell the chef to wash his hands before making the sandwich...
jc20
Lurker
Lurker

Postby SHstormtrooper » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:42 pm

What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger
:lol:
SHstormtrooper
Reacher
Reacher

Postby globalnomad » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:18 pm

SHstormtrooper wrote:What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger

Yeah, but the problem is it might just kill him.
globalnomad
Talker
Talker

Postby bigfatboy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Well in general - it's only a scandal if someone finds out. There're a lot more going on in the kitchen that both you and I want to know. Not that I think what he did was right (I hate it in fact), but just the sad reality. However, there exceptions of course. :)
bigfatboy
Talker
Talker

Postby Abramis » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:56 pm

I would not worry the kitchen (only), you also should consider the whole supply chain :)
Abramis
Reacher
Reacher

Postby zillahh » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:36 am

Questionable Wagas hygiene practices . . .

OP, not to be disparaging. Wagas is most likely to score top three percentile , comparatively, to "all" mainland restaurant kitchens .

(there are allot of kitchens in this country)

Maybe two percintile?

BTW, I like Pasta.
zillahh
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby MrPuxi » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:08 am

the difference is assuming low hygenic standards and actually knowing that the dude who fixes your sandwich just came from potty and did not wash his hands. i do not want to elaborate on chinese toilet practice... yuk!
MrPuxi
Rocker
Rocker

Postby The Jaguar » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:15 am

Maybe he was just having a line of charlie.
The Jaguar
Talker
Talker

Postby dcy_rachel » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:37 am

Todays' air pollution becomes more and more serious.All the cities' hygiene problems need to be concerned.Not only on jiashan road and jianguo road.
dcy_rachel
Seeker
Seeker

Postby victorinchina » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:04 am

The Jaguar wrote:Maybe he was just having a line of charlie.

victorinchina
Board Viking

Postby AD » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

After 3 years in Shanghai I have seen this too often, far too often.
It must happen elsewhere but I never saw, so less often we can assume.

- Often these guys are just taking a cigarette, one of Chinas common problems.
- higher standard restaraunts will always a specific hand washing station back in the kitchen.
- Chinese guys have exhibited the dirtiest hygiene habits I have observed from 21 countires globally, so yes I am somewhat concerned. (note Chinese ladies tend to be the cleanest !! another of China's odd habits)
AD
Seeker
Seeker

Postby jeffinflorida » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:55 am

This happened to me once. I was in a pizza restaurant taking a pee when the owner Poppy came out of the stall after a number two and said "Jerry I'm gonna make you a special pizza!" and didn't wash his hands and went right to the kitchen to make my pizza.

Oh wait, that was a Seinfeld episode...
Who would have thought that a girl who is a hooker would be a hooker... In China of all places?!?
jeffinflorida
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby SHstormtrooper » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:47 pm

globalnomad wrote:
SHstormtrooper wrote:What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger

Yeah, but the problem is it might just kill him.

^
Awesome comment. Haven't laughed that hard for a while.
SHstormtrooper
Reacher
Reacher

Postby eimajsk8 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:37 pm

great and i live next door-might have to go hit up some of that charlie with the guy
seriously that is fukd-cant wait for my missus to get back from holiday to tell her her beloved vagas is as tainted as i suspected!-money does not equal quality here
eimajsk8
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby OZDave » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:51 pm

The sheep's uterus I had in Chengdu the other day was much worse... especially as it was dipped in congealed boiling yellow fat first.

Or travel to a hotel in Guangzhou where the table is wet with spit- they'll put a fresh table cloth down and you can watch it instantly form wet patches where the spit was.

Or worse, the restaurant in Nanjing Xi Lu where my wife ate last week where a mother let her child with split pants take a dump next to the table at the restaurant at lunch time peak hour.
OZDave
Ranter
Ranter

Postby Shangstar » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Just think whats on: Hand rails, door handles, ATM buttons, taxi door handles, bank notes, bus seats, Metro handles. There are likely to be germs absolutely everywhere. Even wrapped products in stores - imagine what the delivery guy has been doing with his hands.....
Shangstar
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby Shangstar » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:02 pm

OZDave wrote:Or worse, the restaurant in Nanjing Xi Lu where my wife ate last week where a mother let her child with split pants take a dump next to the table at the restaurant at lunch time peak hour.

You should have reciprocated!
Shangstar
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby alixiw » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:31 pm

the managers are never in
alixiw
Raver
Raver

Postby laundry » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:55 pm

that is called education, and everyone sucked when were kids. so you should blame their parents shame on them, but dont worry too much sometimes what you ignore is what make your life happy.
laundry
Seeker
Seeker

Postby jeffinflorida » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:57 am

Its regression. The are de-evolving.

I have been riding my new giant bike around town, sometimes out for 6-7 hour stretches. Traffic lights, pavement markets mean nothing. Common sense does not exist.

I rode through a crowd of people that ignored the color of the light (I had green) and stepped in front of me. Threw a few elbows and came within inches of those that just walk in front of me.

It's insane that a race of people can live like this.

They are like retards...
Who would have thought that a girl who is a hooker would be a hooker... In China of all places?!?
jeffinflorida
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby vx » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Humac wrote:Some of them know. I was waiting for an order at my new favourite sandwich shop...I think it's called Sarnies, near Big Bamboo, when I noticed that the Chinese staff were putting on a new pair of disposable plastic gloves every time they started a sandwich.

but thats just wasteful and unnecessary. a new pair after breaks would be sufficient. there is a middle ground between india and japan, but sadly shanghai still seems closer to the former on the spectrum of hygiene.

anyone think it will change for the expo? Im certainly not holding my breath...
vx
Barker
Barker

Postby TrueNorth » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:55 pm

Wagas epsode is something the Shanghai authority is worried about toward Expo next year. I started seeing more of the "Food Safty Inspection Notification" stickers at the restaurants. Hope they can educate the food service staff very fast... :wink:

The day before yesterday I had eanten at a Indian restaurant to celebrate a friend's birthday. Other people seemed to be OK, but I had minor food poisoning. I suspect lots of raw vegetables I had eaten was the cause of the food poisoning, and the cause of the contamination was probably "dirty" hands. :cry:
TrueNorth
Reacher
Reacher

Postby crivens200 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:33 pm

jeffinflorida wrote:They are like retards...

1.4bn of them.

From time to time on this forum you get people coming on and defending them. That makes me laugh.
crivens200
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby findus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:12 pm

Babela Kitchen. Staff eating beside the toilets (also near the kitchen), no soap in the dispenser. Woo hoo! :D
sppnew wrote:Generally, we Chinese are people with sanity.
findus
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby Zak101 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:22 pm

Drop in to Subway here from time to time for a quick lunch to enjoy back in the office. (Laowai Zak101 munching away inside 'the Subway' refuses to be free advertising or an endorsement spectacle).

Notice the girlie preparing the sub has disposable plastic gloves on both hands, tongs and the order is announced to the cashier without gloves, who takes my coins - no problem with that, the coin exchange.

... Of course there are tongs issues with salami, tuna, chicken breast, then "fresh sliced vegetables in the sub" selected with the same tong device.

Thought bubble :"Sweetie. Sweetie. You're doing it all wrong."

Almost there.

Doctors' Associates franchises in China need to attend to minor hygiene issues, methinks. Things that would attract a huge fine in Australia and most other places.

I won't even discuss the legitimacy and HACCP of the supply chain.

I'm turning into Niles (Frasier).

Your turn.
It's time I got a real job in China ! Coming here was career destruction - but that's about to change. Push your luck at http:\\www.lucky-jamieson.com
Zak101
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby ShanghaiComposer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:28 am

Or worse, the restaurant in Nanjing Xi Lu where my wife ate last week where a mother let her child with split pants take a dump next to the table at the restaurant at lunch time peak hour.

Not surprisingly, I saw similar mishaps at restaurants in Nanjing Xi Lu as well.

This was just recently during National Day Week.

A kid with glowing red devil horns on his head flops out his penis, pisses in front a KFC restaurant located at Nanjing Xi Lu and the crowd walking by saw the entire outward display. The urine landed on his mother's shoes, his mom reacted, and did nothing to the kid. The kid with the devil horns laughed. A man nearby in his 50-60's walked out of the crowd and starts shouting at them. He first curse at them in Shanghainese which didn't work well since the woman didn't understand him and then in Mandarin. Insults were immediately exchanged and later plain clothes police arrived, breaking up the fight and telling people to move on.

Had another similar case of piss flying all over the place inside the restaurant located near Nanjing Xi Lu again. The small dishes tastes great, but these kids need to go.
Last edited by ShanghaiComposer on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShanghaiComposer
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Zak101 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:37 am

Ummm.
It's time I got a real job in China ! Coming here was career destruction - but that's about to change. Push your luck at http:\\www.lucky-jamieson.com
Zak101
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby zillahh » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 am

I wonder how often dish water is replaced and just how much soap is used? Do local resturants use bleach to clean dish/hand towels, cutting surfaces?
zillahh
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby findus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:40 am

zillahh wrote:I wonder how often dish water is replaced and just how much soap is used? Do local resturants use bleach to clean dish/hand towels, cutting surfaces?

What's that? :wink:
sppnew wrote:Generally, we Chinese are people with sanity.
findus
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Return to Shanghai Open Chat