Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  Receive our weekly newsletter.   I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

iPad 3G service in China

Information on everything from mobile apps to buying a new laptop or PC

Re: iPad 3G service in China

Postby deuteron » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:21 pm

You can cut the SIM to fit in ipad 3G. There will be mold available.
deuteron

Postby thechris » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:44 pm

Yeah, it's another thing to carry- but half the size of my iPhone... And for a portable network that I can connect 5 devices to, well with the tradeoff. It's less money, and more function than just cutting a sim down to size and then only being able to use it in an iPad... I keep the thing in my pocket and just connect up wherever. Love it. Using it now, in fact!
thechris
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby thechris » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:47 pm

matt360 wrote:
3gchina wrote:I think Huawei e5 Wifi/3G Modem's main attractive points as below:

Provides mobile wifi hotspots
and allows up to 5 users (or devices with wifi function) to share the wifi network.

Small & light as your cellphone.

Unlocked and workable with 3G data sim cards of many countries. So travel to different countries, just change the sim card.

Support 3G network HSUPA/HSDPA/UTMS 2100 Mhz (in China it is China Unicom's 3G sim card) which is most adopted in the world.

Is speed affected when multiple devices are connected to it?
sure, if they're all downloading at the same time... Like any Internet connection. But otherwise, no.
thechris
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby hogtownhero » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:19 am

Handoogies wrote:
Yea but you have to carry one more piece of luggage to many thats a deterrent in itself.

It's not so bad -- when I'm out and about with the iPad, I've got it inside a case anyways (either backpack or laptop bag) so I just slip the Huawei device into the bag. Also, with a lot of cellphones these days (Win Mobile, Android, Symbian and jailbroken iPhone) you can broadcast a wifi signal directly from the phone without needing a Huawei device at all, especially if you're on a 3G plan.

Granted, the data charges are higher this way vs. a data-only SIM but for the occasional email / browsing while on the road it should be sufficient.
hogtownhero
Lurker
Lurker

Postby 3gchina » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:38 am

English User Manual of Huawei E5 device: http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/e5menu/html/2.html

Hope it is helpful for these E5 lovers.

@3GSolutions
3gchina
Barker
Barker

Postby gawa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:08 am

Just got my new iPad wifi+3G shipped from US. I really love it. Very cool gadget!
gawa
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby P123 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:23 am

did you manage to get it in without paying import tax? I want to order one of these things, which post company did you use?
Last edited by P123 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
P123
Barker
Barker

Postby gawa » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:11 pm

My friend there helped me to arrange the shipment by UPS and of course, i didn't pay any import tax. My experience to avoid import tax is to declare the goods value as low as possible( for example, 10 dollars) and describle it as a gift. You had better consult from local courier company for maybe some difference in different places and they know well on everything.

Cheers.....
gawa
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby 3gchina » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 pm

For iPad wifi version, can use MiFi Hotspot Package (http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/mifisale) to create a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot for as many as 5 wifi enabled terminals (iPad, iPod, iPhone, etc).

For iPad wifi+3G version, either use Mifi plus 3G sim or use 3G micro-sim only ( http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/ipad3gsale/) to access internet.
Attachments
mifi hotspot @ 3gsolutions.jpg
MiFi Hotspot @ 3GSolutions
one sim full freedom.jpg
iPad Sim @ 3GSolutions
one sim full freedom.jpg (23.25 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
Last edited by 3gchina on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
3gchina
Barker
Barker

Postby gawa » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Just be back from a Central China trip. I am really excited about this trip, especially thanks to the seamless internet access that huawei MiFi brought to my iPad & iPod. I can receive and reply emails from my clients & friends on the bus running on the countryside roads , in small villages I've been to, & at local coutryside hostels where it is so quite at night that I can hear little crickets sing and the wind through the trees. I managed to stay in touch with my business clients & friends during the period being away from the town, and at the same time really enjoy everything I saw and felt in the countrysides. I love the modern technology. 8)
gawa
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Silk_Road_Seth » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:09 pm

I just got back from Xujiahui, where I got my 3G sim for my iPad. The guy was helpful, cut the sim and set it up for me.

13 months of 3gb service for Shanghai ONLY for 1100rmb. As when I travel it is usually outside of China. I don't think this is a bad price and maybe a Chinese friend could have gotten it cheaper, but it works for me.
Silk_Road_Seth
Talker
Talker

Postby Dawei64 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:49 pm

Ipad 3G is no problem with China Unicom right now....Just go to any China Unicom Store, request a 3G sim compatible for Iphone 4 , they will , register sim after you select a number, cost intiial 200 RMB which is credit which goes on the sim card.

Then choose a data plan, for Iphone 4.....that is a data plan which is heavy on the data, and very low on the calls (as you wont need to use it for Phone calls on Ipad).

They can cut your new SIM down to size for you for the Iphone 4, which is same required size to fit the Ipad....insert the SIM , set APN to cmnet.....and your away....Very quick 3G data feed, almost as good as my own home wifi speed..

Works a dream...and your SIM account can be topped up as required, like any other phone account.

Good Luck...
Dawei64

Postby chingiskhan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Dawei64 wrote:Ipad 3G is no problem with China Unicom right now....Just go to any China Unicom Store, request a 3G sim compatible for Iphone 4 , they will , register sim after you select a number, cost intiial 200 RMB which is credit which goes on the sim card.

Then choose a data plan, for Iphone 4.....that is a data plan which is heavy on the data, and very low on the calls (as you wont need to use it for Phone calls on Ipad).

They can cut your new SIM down to size for you for the Iphone 4, which is same required size to fit the Ipad....insert the SIM , set APN to cmnet.....and your away....Very quick 3G data feed, almost as good as my own home wifi speed..

Works a dream...and your SIM account can be topped up as required, like any other phone account.

Good Luck...

Really? You have to take out a phone SIM? Surely they have data only plans that are designed for iPads and other web devices? I actually already have a Unicom SIM card for my iPhone and 1.6GB per month. Would be good if I could share the allowance with an iPad (if / when I get one).
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby Silk_Road_Seth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:08 am

Why would you get a service for the iPad that includes talk time? China Unicom also has data-only packages to choose from.
Silk_Road_Seth
Talker
Talker

Postby Spaniard » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Silk_Road_Seth wrote:I just got back from Xujiahui, where I got my 3G sim for my iPad. The guy was helpful, cut the sim and set it up for me.

13 months of 3gb service for Shanghai ONLY for 1100rmb. As when I travel it is usually outside of China. I don't think this is a bad price and maybe a Chinese friend could have gotten it cheaper, but it works for me.

Seriously overpriced, I got the same 3G simcard, I paid 600 for 10 months, 900 for 16 months, i got the 10 months since I plan on going back to Canada soon but always negotiate.. Did you go to the apple shop that's just outside one of the malls? It's all white but they carry all the belkin apple gadgets at a 200% markup
All the things I really like are either immoral, illegal or fattening.
Spaniard
Reacher
Reacher

Postby MeatLover » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:38 am

I think China Unicom now offers smaller SIM card, which works in your iPhone4 and iPad, so you do not need cut it anymore. TO make the SIM card work in your iPad, you need synchronize your iPad with your iTunes first.
MeatLover
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Silk_Road_Seth » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Spaniard,

No, I didn't buy it at an "Apple" shop. I went to a small stand inside Metro City to get it. I am interested in your card, as I searched Taobao before I went to look the sim card. I only paid 200rmb more than I would have from a 'highly' ranked Taobao, which is acceptable for me because I got to see it work there on the spot. (I have had some bad cases with shady taobao sellers before when it comes to tech stuff). I also compared prices with another person who got 15 months for 1500rmb and that was by having a local person buy it for them.

I did negotiate with the seller.... and he dropped it 200rmb for me.
Silk_Road_Seth
Talker
Talker

Postby mallogus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Anybody know the only 3g data package China Unicom offer?
mallogus

Postby 3gchina » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:00 pm

Only China Unicom 3G works with iPad.

On our website http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/ipad3gsale , we just provide iPad 3G data packages from China Unicom.

Rent an iPad sim card for short visit in China ( http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/ipad3grental )
Last edited by 3gchina on Thu May 03, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3gchina
Barker
Barker

Postby 3gchina » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Recently China Unicom upgraded its 3G network as may creat problems your E5 cannot work well. If you are encounter this problem, please configure your E5 GPS feature. You can download the relevent software from our website http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/e5gps/class

Rent an iPad sim card for short visit in China ( http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/ipad3grental )
Last edited by 3gchina on Thu May 03, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3gchina
Barker
Barker

Postby tracychina » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:34 am

here is wi-fi package, easy to set up, pay once for five users http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelgu ... k/wifi.htm
tracychina

Previous

Return to Technology