iPad 3G service in China

Information on everything from mobile apps to buying a new laptop or PC

iPad 3G service in China

Postby hanguolaohu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:22 am

So the iPad is available for preorder in the USA right now, and I'm thinking of getting the model with Wifi + 3G. I'm just wondering, would I use China Unicom's 3G service just like with an iPhone 3G? It seems like it'll be a while before it's released to mainland China as a release in Hong Kong hasn't been announced yet.

"International orders for both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G iPad lines in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK will begin shipping in late April as well, although Apple has yet to announce a date that it will begin accepting pre-orders in those countries."
hanguolaohu
Reacher
Reacher

Postby compsolutions » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:20 am

You would use nothing for 3G, as it uses a different style SIM (uSim), so until a provider here has a compatible one, isn't going to happen.

That said, one possibility though is that you get a v1 style sim, extract the KI and IMSI,and burn your own blank uSim using that, which would effectively clone the sim.

I'll have to look into that..., I'm sure the elves in the chinese gsm forums are already thinking about it.
PopStar

Postby compsolutions » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:01 pm

Appears you don't even need to extract it, had a quick look on Taobao, you can buy that info from what would probably be insiders working at the telecom company, or working off of their database.
Sim writing hardware is also readily available, so its just a matter of finding someone stocking 3FF sized silvers...
As of yet, haven't found any, but expect those to appear in Shenzhen or Taiwan shortly..
Or worst case an adaptor of sorts.

For those who are curious, these shops are selling interesting things:
http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_det ... 8a2e44.htm
http://shop33456888.taobao.com/
http://shop35145006.taobao.com/shop/xsh ... 145006.htm

And further reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-SIM
PopStar

Postby hanguolaohu » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Compsolutions, this was above and beyond an answer to my question, thank you! It'll be very interesting indeed to see all the solutions that come out to allow iPad 3G service. It's the one factor that's affecting my purchase now. I think I'm definitely going with 3G capable model.
hanguolaohu
Reacher
Reacher

Postby hogtownhero » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:05 am

Or just get a 3G mifi device like the Huawei e5830 which allows you to create a portable wifi network around you. It's not as elegant as a built in 3G card because you have to carry an extra device around with you but you can share the connection with up to 5 devices so it works with your laptop, cellphone, etc. too.

It's the same concept as the Verizon Mifi 2200 but the Huawei is unlocked for China carriers. Here's a link to a taobao site:

http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_det ... l?cm_cat=0
hogtownhero
Lurker
Lurker

Re: iPad 3G service in China

Postby hanguolaohu » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:16 am

hogtownhero or anyone have experience with that Huawei device? That seems pretty awesome. I guess it runs off of China Unicom's 3G network? Will it use the same SIM and data plan as a regular 3G SIM for a phone?
hanguolaohu
Reacher
Reacher

Postby hogtownhero » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:53 am

I've had the device for a few days and I'm pretty happy with it. Yes, on the mainland it works with China Unicom and you would need to get a separate data-only SIM card to use. The China Unicom SIM from my iPhone didn't seem to work in this unit. In any case, if you are planning alot of internet usage, a data-only plan is much cheaper than the phone & data plan.

It's pretty fast to acquire a signal -- from the time you turn it on from a cold start to the time you can start surfing is about 30 seconds. However, I only seem to be able to get a 3G connection and haven't been able to pick up the faster 3.5G signal yet. Not sure if that is China Unicom's network issue or the fact that I bought one of the cheaper data plans from a taobao shop as my SIM card looks a bit different. The official data plan from China Unicom is 150 RMB/month for 3 GB of data, but I found a guy selling a prepaid plan for only 750 RMB for 3GB of data per month for an entire year which is basically half price. The official plan lets you roam across China, whereas with my plan you pay additional roaming charges if you go out of Shanghai. Maybe it also has a slower SIM... not sure. Anyhow, 3G is fast enough for me as my main purpose is just to surf using my iPhone and soon to be purchased iPad.
hogtownhero
Lurker
Lurker

Postby hogtownhero » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:54 am

Did some testing using speedtest.net to compare how this Huawei unit performs and found the following comparison:

Laptop at home using China Telecom (over wifi router):
Download speed = 2.33 Mb/s
Upload speed = 0.44 Mb/s

Iphone using China Telecom (over wifi router):
Download speed = 2.184 Mb/s
Upload speed = 0.475 Mb/s

Iphone using China Unicom native 3G SIM card (i.e. wifi off):
Download speed = 1.344 Mb/s
Upload speed = 0.322 Mb/s

Iphone using China Unicom 3G card and Huawei e5830:
Download speed = 2.71 Mb/s
Upload speed = 0.522 Mb/s

All of the results posted were the average scores of 3 tests.

Interesting that the Huawei unit performs slightly faster than my wifi network at home even though I'm not getting the 3.5G signal. Still nowhere near the claimed 7.2 Mb/s but good enough for me.
hogtownhero
Lurker
Lurker

Postby hanguolaohu » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:05 am

Thank you hogtownhero this is amazingly useful info!
hanguolaohu
Reacher
Reacher

Postby matty » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:05 pm

I'm using an unlocked '3' Huawei Mifi that I bought from a UK Ebay seller. It's runningunlocked Netvigator firmware allowing it to be configured over a browser like a standard wireless router.

I have had good experiences with it connecting via my netbook and Nexus One.

There are some caveats. The current firmware has no inbuilt support for proxies and DNS modification. That means you get DNS poisoned when you try and connect to a VPN as it uses the mobile operator's DNS settings. I can get round this by setting up a DMZ and a static IP address on the device I want to connect using a VPN. However, I do find that I can make a connection to a VPN, but it craps out after a few minutes. My old Huawei USB modem used to keep a VPN connection much better.
matty
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Shangstar » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:22 am

Apple have just launched a new gadget designed exclusively for women.
It's called the iRon.
The Vatican is against surrogate mothers. Good thing they didn't have that rule when Jesus was born.
Shangstar
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby Dean » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:38 pm

hogtownhero wrote:Did some testing using speedtest.net to compare how this Huawei unit performs and found the following comparison:

Laptop at home using China Telecom (over wifi router):
Download speed = 2.33 Mb/s
Upload speed = 0.44 Mb/s

Iphone using China Telecom (over wifi router):
Download speed = 2.184 Mb/s
Upload speed = 0.475 Mb/s

Iphone using China Unicom native 3G SIM card (i.e. wifi off):
Download speed = 1.344 Mb/s
Upload speed = 0.322 Mb/s

Iphone using China Unicom 3G card and Huawei e5830:
Download speed = 2.71 Mb/s
Upload speed = 0.522 Mb/s

All of the results posted were the average scores of 3 tests.

Interesting that the Huawei unit performs slightly faster than my wifi network at home even though I'm not getting the 3.5G signal. Still nowhere near the claimed 7.2 Mb/s but good enough for me.

Do you know if the unit will work with a China Telecom 3G sim?
Dean
Talker
Talker

Postby hogtownhero » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:17 am

No, this device is designed for WCDMA networks so it will only work with China Unicom.
hogtownhero
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Dean » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:50 pm

hogtownhero wrote:No, this device is designed for WCDMA networks so it will only work with China Unicom.

Thanks! Looks like I need to get a China Unicom card ...

too bad I already bought the China Telecom card :(
Last edited by Dean on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Talker
Talker

Postby 3gchina » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Huawei mobile wifi is a good choice for both 3G+wifi or wifi only iPad.

Of course, you can also just buy a China Unicom 3g sim card for your 3G+wifi iPad.

Rent an iPad sim card for short visit in China ( http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/ipad3grental )
Attachments
mifi hotspot @ 3gsolutions.jpg
MiFi Hotspot @ 3GSolutions
one sim full freedom.jpg
iPad sim @ 3GSolutions
one sim full freedom.jpg (23.25 KiB) Viewed 12271 times
Last edited by 3gchina on Thu May 10, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
3gchina
Barker
Barker

Postby Dean » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:13 pm

So now I have my Huawei E5830 and my China Unicom 3G card. I feel like a complete bonehead, but I cannot find any setup information for China Unicom. If someone could give me some guidance regarding setting up a profile, I would really appreciate it.
Dean
Talker
Talker

Postby rpwarren » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Any luck with this? I just got mine and same problem here.
rpwarren

Postby 3gchina » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Hope the following link can put you through http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/huaweie5set/.
3gchina
Barker
Barker

Postby waylandchin » Mon May 03, 2010 3:12 am

You guys are making it more complicated than it is. Just buy a China Unicom 3G SIM card and cut it down to size with a razor to fit the microsim slot. the actual chip is exactly the same as a regular sim card except the outer plastic is larger.
waylandchin

Postby Arby76 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:58 pm

I keep checking if there are any updates in this thread, anyone actually get a Chinese data SIM working here inside their iPad? Or did you all go for the Huawei e5830 (now under 1000rmb on taobao) which looks like it'd be fine when WiFi not available. But I don't really want to carry an extra device, the whole idea of using an iPad is so that I don't carry my laptop, if I'm carrying my laptop, I'll use my 3G USB stick.
Arby76
Talker
Talker

Postby hogtownhero » Sat May 15, 2010 1:13 pm

According to other websites, it should work. Just cut the SIM card down to the right size and then plug it in.
hogtownhero
Lurker
Lurker

Postby matt360 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:12 am

hogtownhero wrote:According to other websites, it should work. Just cut the SIM card down to the right size and then plug it in.

Yes it will work, i've been following other iPad forums and it is possible to use a normal sim card that has been cut down to the micro-sim size. Just make sure it is a data sim, so i assume its the same one in the 3G USB modem stuff here.
matt360
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby hanguolaohu » Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 am

So who's gonna be the first on this forum? I'm getting my iPad in 2 weeks! :D
hanguolaohu
Reacher
Reacher

Postby matt360 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:08 am

pretty sure some have their's already, ive pre-ordered mine in Melbourne for the 28th, and will be back on the 2nd to pick it up!
matt360
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby 3gchina » Fri May 21, 2010 11:11 am

I think Huawei e5 Wifi/3G Modem's main attractive points as below:

Provides mobile wifi hotspots
and allows up to 5 users (or devices with wifi function) to share the wifi network.

Small & light as your cellphone.

Unlocked and workable with 3G data sim cards of many countries. So travel to different countries, just change the sim card.

Support 3G network HSUPA/HSDPA/UTMS 2100 Mhz (in China it is China Unicom's 3G sim card) which is most adopted in the world.
3gchina
Barker
Barker

Postby matt360 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:24 am

3gchina wrote:I think Huawei e5 Wifi/3G Modem's main attractive points as below:

Provides mobile wifi hotspots
and allows up to 5 users (or devices with wifi function) to share the wifi network.

Small & light as your cellphone.

Unlocked and workable with 3G data sim cards of many countries. So travel to different countries, just change the sim card.

Support 3G network HSUPA/HSDPA/UTMS 2100 Mhz (in China it is China Unicom's 3G sim card) which is most adopted in the world.

Is speed affected when multiple devices are connected to it?
matt360
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby potemp » Sun May 30, 2010 4:47 pm

I finally got my 3G iPad today and after cutting it up by following the instructions and printable template from: http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/How-T ... 68-01.html I got my iPad to surf the net using 3G. Once you insert the sim card and go settings and 'Cellular Data' the iPad automatically detects your provider (China Unicom in my case) so you don't even have to enter any details. Hope that helps anyone who is still waiting for confirmation.
potemp

Postby Arby76 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:02 am

Nice SIM cutter:
http://www.cutmysim.com/

Anyone have one here?
Arby76
Talker
Talker

Postby thechris » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:50 am

Just a quick update here - through this thread, followed links to buy the Huawei E5... just got it over the weekend. Works wonderfully with the iPad - frankly, this is a gem. It costs less (including a year of data) than the price difference between an iPad with WiFi only vs. iPad 3g, and you get the same internet speed - only now, you can also connect your laptop, iPhone, whatever else to the same device and get internet as well. It's literally more for your money. Wonderful little device - I'm very happy, and now I can ditch Coffee Bean in favor of other, cheaper options since I have my own portable 3g WiFi network wherever I go - no more hunting for free WiFi!

I love technology.
thechris
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Handoogies » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:13 pm

thechris wrote:Just a quick update here - through this thread, followed links to buy the Huawei E5... just got it over the weekend. Works wonderfully with the iPad - frankly, this is a gem. It costs less (including a year of data) than the price difference between an iPad with WiFi only vs. iPad 3g, and you get the same internet speed - only now, you can also connect your laptop, iPhone, whatever else to the same device and get internet as well. It's literally more for your money. Wonderful little device - I'm very happy, and now I can ditch Coffee Bean in favor of other, cheaper options since I have my own portable 3g WiFi network wherever I go - no more hunting for free WiFi!

I love technology.

Yea but you have to carry one more piece of luggage to many thats a deterrent in itself.
WWW.STAMPEDEKARTING.COM
Handoogies
Barker
Barker

Next

Return to Technology