Is your flat OVERPRICED?

Re: Is your flat OVERPRICED?

Postby monalisalee » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:02 am

Tong Ji Garden Tower, Kang Ding Rd.
Studio type, under 5,500.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby bigroh74 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:05 am

Top of City, Dagu Lu. One beds in the middle blocks were from 5500 at end of last year. Older blocks possibly cheaper but expect 7000 and up for one beds usually. (this based on the apartments I was shown)
bigroh74
Veejay
Veejay

Postby bench_body » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Top of City 1 bed 6,500-7,500rmb 15 minutes walk to Nanjing West metro line 2.

Yunhe Garden 1 bed also 6,500-7,500rmb but 15 minutes walk to Jingan temple.
bench_body
Talker
Talker

Postby structureofzero » Sun May 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Cross street : JiangXi Zhong Lu & FuZhou Lu.
Building name : FuZhou Da Lou
Near : E. Nanjing Rd. (less than 10 mins walk)
Size : Walk in closet + 1 bath and loft bed room
Price : RMB 5300

How's mine?
structureofzero
Seeker
Seeker

Postby bench_body » Wed May 16, 2012 4:17 pm

If its the one in Fuzhou Road 107, Jiangxi Road 170, this is a little over-priced.
Apartments there ranges from 3000- 4000, around 55m2 size. For 5,300rmb, it must be newly renovated, probably around 60-70m2.

If not, you are way too generous!
bench_body
Talker
Talker

Postby structureofzero » Wed May 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks man!

Yeah, I knew I was paying too much. It was my first place here in Shanghai without consulting forums or friends ... Honestly, I didn't know I got so ripped until I had more time to read the forums all day long.

Oh well! Just living the contract out so I don't lose a deposit.

:|
structureofzero
Seeker
Seeker

Postby btravers33 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:09 pm

This is an interesting thread, let me give my apartment a try, any insight as to whether the price is fair is much appreciated:

Cross Street: Xujiahui Road / Madang Road
Complex: Yong Ye
Size: 146 sq meters
Apartment: Situated on 31st floor with partial views of SWFC, Jinmao, Pearl Tower and full view of Lupu bridge on the other side
Price: RMB 10,500 / Month

Thanks!
A state which dwarfs its men, in order that they may be more docile instruments in its hands—even for beneficial purposes—will find that with small men no great thing can really be accomplished. - J.S. Mill
btravers33
Veejay
Veejay

Mood: Scream

Postby monalisalee » Wed May 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Of course you are joking, wibel.
But you live in Putuo District, which is cheaper than most.
2000 a year? You are being ripped off! :lol:
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby bench_body » Wed May 30, 2012 6:56 pm

XXXXXXX wrote:CONTENT REMOVED

I'm Sorry? I didn't get it...

[MODERATOR NOTE - SPAM]
bench_body
Talker
Talker

Postby Octavador » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 am

bench_body wrote:Jia Yuan@Wanhangdu Rd. 458
2 bedroom, 86 sqm
13th floor
5600/month

If you are staying on 1304 building 6, the asking price is 5800rmb for 87.55sqm 2 bedroom apartment. Other flats on the 13th floor costs around 6k-6.5k

Which means you got it at a fair price @ 5,600rmb. :wink:

What about a 3bed,2bath apartment same compound? I'll be moving soon and now looking around. Budget 7000 rmb max. Any idea?

Thanks!
Octavador

Postby chtan6 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:13 pm

270, Wuxing Road
Old style apartment
approximately 60m2
>10 floors..RMB4.3k, Is it ex?
chtan6

Postby Miles101 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:47 pm

No 15 Yixue Yuan rd, near Da Mu Qiao and Dinesty restaurant,3rd floor, newly refurbished - 60sqm
5500 incl fapio?
Miles101

Postby Miles101 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:45 pm

and 5 min walk to Jiashan metro line 9
Miles101

Postby ElGatoNegro » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:06 am

wibel wrote:
bench_body wrote:
wibel wrote:Often, the shell around something says nothing at all about the inside. To each his/her own. But 18000 for a 89 sqm appartement sounds terribly overpriced. Even if the taps are made out of pure gold, one should not pay such a price for that. After all, the water that comes out of those taps is of the same quality as anywhere else in Shanghai.

Word from a guy who lives in a studio-type flat, 8 sqm, with shared bathroom and kitchen worth 900rmb/month I suppose :roll:

Nice assumption, but you're wrong as usual. I have a full 4 sqm and me and my partner share it with another couple. The shared bathroom and kitchen is non-existant and last night a piece of rusty metal what must have been some kind of decoration on the top of the building crushed 34 floors down. Also, we only pay 2000 a year. It's really worth it! :roll:

Uhhh! Can I move in?! I want to upgrade! :P :P
"I only do this for money, send back to baba mama so they can buy 67-inch TV to hang on concrete wall."
prego2000 12 Dec 2013
ElGatoNegro
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Cool

Postby canuckian » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Sun Wonderland. At the corner of Hennan Nan Lu & Fuxing Lu. Opposite of Yuyuan Garden
Walking distance to Line 10 & Line 8 (Lao Xi Men)
33rd fl. 310sqm for ¥20K/month
canuckian
Rocker
Rocker

Postby bench_body » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:07 pm

canuckian wrote:Sun Wonderland. At the corner of Hennan Nan Lu & Fuxing Lu. Opposite of Yuyuan Garden
Walking distance to Line 10 & Line 8 (Lao Xi Men)
33rd fl. 310sqm for ¥20K/month

Sun Wonderland is an excellent compound with view of the pearl tower. Convenient to shops malls, historic old shanghai street and also metro line 10. The highest floor I know is 32nd floor and with layout of around 280m2, is already around 30k/month. So given its on the top floor and 310m2, and for 20k?

I think it's either unreal or you got extremely lucky with an offer like that. :wink:
bench_body
Talker
Talker

Postby OU812 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:29 pm

Westgate Garden @ Laoximen. 8000 rmb a month. 2BD, 109m2. 31st floor.

Everywhere I look says 10k+ a month, so I'm assuming it's good.
OU812
Reacher
Reacher

Mood: Cool

Postby MarvinHC » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:49 am

Hello,

can you please give me a rough idea for what kind of price range I can find a 4 or 5 bedroom apartment/house for rent in Huacao area (close to BISS-Puxi school, 111 Jinguang Road, Huacao Town, Minhang, Shanghai, 201107)?

Two quite general questions, I hope someone can help me:
(I will move from Europe to Shanghai in autumn and know next to nothing about the property market in Shanghai)

1. Size of apartments in squaremeter: I noticed that very often the squaremeters sound very high compared to the number of bedrooms, for example 3 bedroom apartment - 200 sqm. In most European big cities a 3 bedroom apartment would be below 100 sqm. Are the sizes in general overstated or are all the room just very big?

2. Are most places for rent furnished or unfurnished?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help! :D
MarvinHC
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Mister_happy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:12 am

The large sqm to bedroom ratio is called wasted space by the locals. The appartments have very big open plan living areas, dinning room and recption, then just 2 bedrooms stuck in the corners. This makes appartment blocks very cheap to build. In a lot of appartments you can see thru the windows from front to back. It is possible to find 3 bedroom appartment, mine is a 100sqm with 3 bedrooms, but it in a lowrise chinese compound.

Most appartments are rent furnished.
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Veejay
Veejay

Postby monalisalee » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:39 am

Marvin:
1. Minhang is a HUGE area, and prices will be less than Shanghai proper, and you may be a long way away, so need to check with agents close to the places you mention.
2. The square metres are calculated from centre wall to centre wall, so this can make a big difference.
Back home the calculation is "usable space"
Also in the case of apartments, there are common areas, that are not included, such as hallways leading to elevators, reception area, etc, and are not included in the square metres, but you get to use.
3. At least 95% apartments are furnished, and most can be changed to some extent by negotiation.
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby MarvinHC » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:18 pm

monalisalee wrote:Marvin:
1. Minhang is a HUGE area, and prices will be less than Shanghai proper, and you may be a long way away, so need to check with agents close to the places you mention.
2. The square metres are calculated from centre wall to centre wall, so this can make a big difference.
Back home the calculation is "usable space"
Also in the case of apartments, there are common areas, that are not included, such as hallways leading to elevators, reception area, etc, and are not included in the square metres, but you get to use.
3. At least 95% apartments are furnished, and most can be changed to some extent by negotiation.

Thanks for your answers, Monalisalee and Mister Happy!

I understand the squaremeters now better, so indeed huge living / reception room and not much bedroom. The way the square meters are calculated sounds similar to hear, so it is good to know that this is someting to go by.

Now I hope somebody can give me a better idea abou the prices :)
MarvinHC
Rocker
Rocker

Postby winnieyap » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 pm

I think my flat was under price! Lolll...a 240 square meter with 3 level, big house with nice garden, and located at yan an xi road. 5 minute walk to jiang su road station, line 2, walking distance 20 minute to jing an SI. 5k for a room! Utilities share. Looking for 3 housemate. Interest call me at 130 6196 3119
winnieyap
Seeker
Seeker

Mood: Happy

Postby Trax_3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:29 am

Purely my point of view & my current estimation of going rates. I've stayed 8 years in shanghai & moved several locations.

Xuhui district (Dapu road vicinity) - less than 10 year apartment: 2 b/rm (80-90 sqm +/-) should be around 6000-7000 max! (Unless it is very nicely reno & you cannot resist, otherwise i don't think you should pay more than that.)
above 10 year old: 2 b/rm maybe less 500-1000.

Xintiandi area: the prices in this area is crazy,there are old ones like Chui Hu going for 10-13K, & richgate going for like 20K ? (never really into this area so i did not really go through the actual rate in this place.)

liyuan road cluster: yongye is the only one in this area that is the most expensive. 2 or 3 b/rm will ask for around 10-13K. But i feel good deal would be around 8.5K to 11.5K max ! The rest of the projects in this cluster should be within 7K -7.3K budget for a 2 b/rm. the old ones in this area should be less than 6K. I personally like Haiyue Garden just across, value for money although it is old. 2 b/rm going for less than 6.5 K, project is well maintained.

French Concession (Hunan road cluster/ yongjia road cluster/ wanping road cluster)(pls add +/- 3 roads to these roads,anything further than 3 traffic junctions from the abv rds, price may differ): The best in french concession, 2 proper b/rms (70 sqm)with living r/ms & toilets 2nd flr upwards will be estimated 7k-9k. With garden on 1 flr or roof terrace the closing price should be at 8.5k to within 11k depending on reno. Old timers in this are would know that not all units in this area has toilets in it or some even have b/rms seperated, i call this strange layout. You see in this cluster, there are lots of 2nd landlord (or rather sub-lease) which hopes to make money out of it by asking 20K for 2 b/rms. I personally think it is over price unless you cannot resist. Take your time in this area as every unit is different after reno & you would be surprise on maybe your next unit you see. Just make sure you are renting from the actual landlord & not sub-lease & your price should be fine. Also tell tale signs of how your landlord is in this area, they like to use terms like "retro style", but i personally define as reno in retro & not "no reno" which a lot of people like using "no reno" as retro style, there is a huge difference! This is a nice area if you like the old shanghainess style of living. Worth considering only if price is right ! A lot of over-price units.

Jingan area: 1 park/ 8 park & 2 more other projects along xikang road which i cannot remember the names is de more expensive ones in this area. 2 b/rms will go ard 9k - 12k max ! anything higher is considered expensive.The rest of the projects older than 10 years should be ard 7k-8.5k max ! Older than 20 years should go about 5-7K max. But old units will differ from "old government housing" & "old highrise apartments" Those less than 6 flrs should be slightly more expensive than old highrise units with elevators especially those well-reno.

These are all only in my point of view & i hope i did not offend anyone who is renting higher as the are lots of points of consideration & it may differ a bit on the pricing.
Trax_3
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Trax_3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:34 am

OU812 wrote:Westgate Garden @ Laoximen. 8000 rmb a month. 2BD, 109m2. 31st floor.

Everywhere I look says 10k+ a month, so I'm assuming it's good.

Sorry dude, but i think Laoximen is over-price ! Too many investors in this area. What i think reasonable is 6k-7.5k max ! I have a frd who used to live there mid-level unit who paid 6.5k (with fapiao) for 2 b/rm unit. But i do know a japanese paying for a super large unit of 3 or 4 bedrooms at about 18k coz he asked for cash back, in actual he paid about 15k.
Trax_3
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby RonyMikal » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:15 pm

How can we able to find the value of our house? what are the main factors responsible for increase our flat price.
RonyMikal

Postby monalisalee » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 pm

The value of your house/apartment, is actually what you are prepared to pay for it. You need to see many, and you will soon form your own scale. Supply and demand regulates price
I will list my take of issues of importance. 1, being the most important.
The price you are prepared to pay, will roughly follow this list.

1. Your Landlord. Good communication, negotiation, and NOT an absentee.
2. Your agent. This person will solve any ongoing problems, and will work for YOU, not landlord.
3. Location. This is why FFC is just a great place to live, and generally the most expensive in Shanghai, but keep in mind it covers 4 Districts, so there are variations within.
4. The proximaty to a Metro
5. The proximay to shopping, and entertainment.
6. Level of furnishing within the flat. This is low on the list, as can be adjusted in most cases according to your wishes.

Apart from this there is a scale according to building style. !. being most xpensive.
I. the stand alone villa.
2. villa, or town house in a cluster.
3. Serviced apartment in a good compound.
4. Apartment in a compound with Management.
5. Chinese style building with elevator.
6 Chinese style, with no elevator. Will invariably be 7 floor.

Just my take, but you can make an individual list, as everybody has different priorities.
For example if there are kids going to school, that will be near the top of the list.
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby RonyMikal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:08 pm

if there is a matter of money then i think every one have an issue that their flat overpriced as compare to provided facility. :roll: :party::
RonyMikal

Postby Adrienne » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:45 am

MarvinHC wrote:I will move from Europe to Shanghai in autumn and know next to nothing about the property market in Shanghai

Welcome to Shanghai MarvinHC. Our very well informed forum members have already covered your questions on the square meterage and value. You will find oodles of other advice on this thread as well about the next step which is finding an apartment here in Shanghai. As has probably been written countless times, PLEASE do not rely on websites for correct photos of current properties or correct prices. It is really best to wait until around a week before you arrive, contact some well recommended agents who have properties in your budget range and ask them what they have in stock and give them time to find some suitable places that fit your needs and requirements and commit to a couple of days of viewings with them. This time of the year properties go very quickly as there is a high number of new arrivals so timing is essential. If you like one of the properties you see you can put in a non-legally binding offer on it to express interest and put a little bit of a hold on it until you have finished viewing all of them. Please let agents know you are using other agents so you aren't being shown the same place twice. Besides wasting time, the landlord thinks he/she has more interest in the property than the reality and will keep the price higher.

If you need any help at all just PM me or send a mail. If you already have a company assigned agent and need some insight on negotiating with landlords here, please have a look at our Advice on Leasing to help you understand the process.

Adrienne Farrelly
Shanghai Properties - "Expat Agents speak your language"
Mbl: +86 13122810421
manager@shanghaiprops.com
http://www.shanghaiprops.com
http://adriennefarrelly.tumblr.com/
Last edited by Adrienne on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrienne
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Happy

Postby Damage Sponge » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Curious about the place I'm currently renting.

Old lane house on Changle Lu by Shaanxi Nan LU
Floor 2/3 about 60 sqm, South Facing
1 Living, 1 Bedroom, 1 Bathroom, 1 Kitchen, 1 large Balcony, however its a weird layout with the bathroom and kitchen of the stairwell. Still paranoid about locking myself out while wearing a bath towel.
Newly painted but renovated maybe 7 years ago, Stains and corrosion on fittings etc...
3/4 furnished with a mix of IKEA and antique local stuff.
Ghetto Stairwell but the lane itself is quite nice.
6k a month
Last edited by Damage Sponge on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damage Sponge
Barker
Barker

Postby monalisalee » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:40 pm

And your question......IS?
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

PreviousNext

Return to Housing