The value of your house/apartment, is actually what you are prepared to pay for it. You need to see many, and you will soon form your own scale. Supply and demand regulates price
I will list my take of issues of importance. 1, being the most important.
The price you are prepared to pay, will roughly follow this list.
1. Your Landlord. Good communication, negotiation, and NOT an absentee.
2. Your agent. This person will solve any ongoing problems, and will work for YOU, not landlord.
3. Location. This is why FFC is just a great place to live, and generally the most expensive in Shanghai, but keep in mind it covers 4 Districts, so there are variations within.
4. The proximaty to a Metro
5. The proximay to shopping, and entertainment.
6. Level of furnishing within the flat. This is low on the list, as can be adjusted in most cases according to your wishes.
Apart from this there is a scale according to building style. !. being most xpensive.
I. the stand alone villa.
2. villa, or town house in a cluster.
3. Serviced apartment in a good compound.
4. Apartment in a compound with Management.
5. Chinese style building with elevator.
6 Chinese style, with no elevator. Will invariably be 7 floor.
Just my take, but you can make an individual list, as everybody has different priorities.
For example if there are kids going to school, that will be near the top of the list.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!