Ladies - Safety Issues

Ladies - Safety Issues

Postby lemon_j » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I am about to move to Shanghai and I have been doing a lot of research. A lot of frauds, scams, and safety issues have came up. I'm sure these problems happen in every country and every city. But I guess I am a bit scared since Shanghai is SO populated and overwhelming to the senses. Also, as a girl, I can't help but to fear a bit more for my safety(I feel like we are easier targets).

So I want to ask the ladies, what are somethings you watch out for? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!
lemon_j
Squeeker
Squeeker

Re: Ladies - Safety Issues

Postby Christin90 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:45 pm

To tell you the truth I think that shanghai is one of the safest cities.
I am comfortable walking around my suburb by myself at night and i often go to the park by myself at 6 in the morning.

Yes there are heaps of scams around, but I dont feel specifcally vulnerable just because I am a woman. And mostly if you fall victim to a scammer all you end up with is a lighter wallet and a good lesson.

To avoid scammers I basically just remember that if something looks too good to be true it probably is.

There a few common scams that new people may fall for. If you search the site you can find info about most of them.
Christin90
Ranter
Ranter

Postby Kief » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:05 pm

OP will probably spend all her time at Cityshop, Wagas, and Element Fresh; not much scams there.
S҉҉̼̥͉̥͉ṃ̠͖̣̝͘͢ờ͎͈̣͔̱̗͉̫̭͜o̥t̴̜̹̘̖͓̤͢h̵̲ ̵̩̟̞̮̯̼̫c̸̮̬̫͉͉̠̫̼ơ̧͕̰͉̤̝͍̺͡c̷̛̬͍̺̳͍̩̦̬k̨̝̣͍̭̤̩͓̞e̶̘̠̝̼͘͠ͅd̷̹̮ ̺̹͓͓̗́͜c̷̰̟͉̞̜̮̻̙͞r̨̢̲̰̤̹̥̼̳̼̫i̷̜̤̱̬m̷̴̯͙̩͜i̴͔̫̦̱͢n͏̪̤a̷̖͈͈͕̘̹̣l͕͎̩͙͜ ̟̟̺̩͉̟̬́͢ḽ͕i̬̥͚̬̜̲̪ͅv̥̥i̴̥̹̲̻ṋ͉̰̫͕̼͇͖͟͟g̴̥̳ ̸̧̠̗͕̖̰͔̟̠i͏̴̪̣̮̩̥̞͢ṉ̛͔ ͘͟҉̺̳͖̼̱͍S̬h̞̦̰̜̦͖̜a҉̘͘n͏̷͍̹ģ͍͓͎̤h̵̡̭̦̩͍̹͘a̷̻̬͙į̧͏͕̤̝̣͍̱̟
Kief
FooSlinger
FooSlinger

Postby buggy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:40 pm

I feel a million times safer here than anywhere I lived in the US. Compared to the US, the chances of you being assaulted are way lower here, there is no private gun ownership, etc. The only thing that may be more prevalent is petty theft, but if you make sure all of your bags have zippers and hold them close to your body in crowded areas, you should be fine. The major scams seem to mostly target guys who are lured into tea ceremony/KTV/art exhibition/happy-endings-that-costs-10,000rmb shakedowns by sexy locals. You will probably just get ripped off at the wet market.
buggy
Talker
Talker

Postby scamparella » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:19 pm

being a brit girl i'm used to dangerous areas, places in some UK cities you wouldn't even walk alone in the daylight...
here i feel safe walking around even at 3am when i'm a bit drunk.

It's the safest place i've ever been.. (touchwood!)
scamparella
Rocker
Rocker

Postby realtrueblue » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Few cities in the west are as safe as Shanghai.
realtrueblue
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Mood: Cool

Postby ElGatoNegro » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:32 pm

I was attacked by a pack of Fujian girls last week... I am lucky I escaped with my morals intact.
"I only do this for money, send back to baba mama so they can buy 67-inch TV to hang on concrete wall."
prego2000 12 Dec 2013
ElGatoNegro
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Cool

Postby FlowerLady7 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:13 pm

It's all good here. If anyone approaches you and you are a bit worried, then just ignore them and carry on your way- don't feel bad about it. It's pretty safe here- just a few pickpockets in some parts- like anywhere really. I'm a female here alone and been having a ball!
FlowerLady7

Postby Sputnik-11 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:29 am

I'll echo the many comments before me just to affirm this: Shanghai is one of the safest cities I've been in as well - especially in terms of whether someone is going to mug or kidnap you. Shanghai is probably a top ranking city in the number of CCTV cameras it has, and the most stupid thing to do would be to attack a foreigner. But scamming and cheating the Caucasian* foreigner because they're "rich," is another story. This type of stuff will happen with street peddlers, people who approach you, and telephone advertisement sells. If you go to stores (i.e. non-haggling), you'll be fine. Shanghai has become quite modern. Follow your instinct, just walk away from the beggars (I always think of Oliver Twist and Fagin, except here, the beggar business here is much more disturbing). Be careful with peddlers, but if you know how to haggle, good for you.

Really, the only thing to be aware of is to hold your bag tight to you in close quarters with a lot of people (e.g. the metro), because the pickpockets are said to be cunning.

Personally, the only dangerous thing about Shanghai is the crazy, no rules, traffic.

*I'm Taiwanese/Chinese and speak Mandarin, so they assume I know the tricks and don't pull them on me. Thank goodness, b/c I don't know the tricks.
Sputnik-11
Reacher
Reacher

Postby lemon_j » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:21 am

Thank you for all the replies. I feel very reassured! I think I just have been in the north american suburbs bubble for way too long.
lemon_j
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby F.Laura » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 pm

I have a follow up question to this. Any safety advice for female travelling solo in rural areas of China? I'm planning to do a lot of travelling after winter. I suspect it's the language that will be my problem more than anything else.
baby if you strip, you could get a tip
F.Laura
Reacher
Reacher

Postby johnupdike » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:47 pm

F.Laura wrote:I have a follow up question to this. Any safety advice for female travelling solo in rural areas of China? I'm planning to do a lot of travelling after winter. I suspect it's the language that will be my problem more than anything else.

can you specify which rural parts?
johnupdike

Postby sambista » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:22 pm

buggy wrote:I feel a million times safer here than anywhere I lived in the US. Compared to the US, the chances of you being assaulted are way lower here, there is no private gun ownership, etc. The only thing that may be more prevalent is petty theft, but if you make sure all of your bags have zippers and hold them close to your body in crowded areas, you should be fine. The major scams seem to mostly target guys who are lured into tea ceremony/KTV/art exhibition/happy-endings-that-costs-10,000rmb shakedowns by sexy locals. You will probably just get ripped off at the wet market.

ditto. i walk around my neighborhood any hour of the night/morning without (too much) fear. even in the little parks with minimal lighting. (often there are elderly locals hanging out on the benches.)

that said, you must always be on guard. walk the walk, keep an eye out. three of us girls were on our way to dinner one night, and we "felt" some guys behind us. we all kinda whipped around at the same time (badass women that we are), and the two guys immediately turned and headed in the opposite direction. if we hadn't been alert, i'm sure one of us would've lost a bag. but i'd still say that's fairly rare and pretty brazen by local standards. more likely you'd have a wallet or an iphone in clear view that could be liberated without your knowing it, or you're too carelessly dangling your purse.

actually, more likely you'd be mowed down by a bicycle, motorcycle, car or bus. or knocked off your feet by another pedestrian.
'The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.' - Eden Phillpotts
sambista
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby Ms Poor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:13 pm

F.Laura wrote: I suspect it's the language that will be my problem more than anything else.

Yeah,thats a problem ...
Ms Poor
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Ms Poor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:18 pm

lemon_j wrote:Hi everyone,

I am about to move to Shanghai and I have been doing a lot of research. A lot of frauds, scams, and safety issues have came up. I'm sure these problems happen in every country and every city. But I guess I am a bit scared since Shanghai is SO populated and overwhelming to the senses. Also, as a girl, I can't help but to fear a bit more for my safety(I feel like we are easier targets).

So I want to ask the ladies, what are somethings you watch out for? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!

You will be fine,Miss ~~~`
Ms Poor
Reacher
Reacher

Postby crivens200 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:15 pm

The fact that you don't have a penis, and your decisions are not driven by this appendage, probably means you will be safe from most scams.
crivens200
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Return to Shanghai Open Chat