Medical Exam

Medical Exam

Postby Animeisco » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:04 pm

Hey all, I'm new to the city and am looking for a place for a medical exam for paperwork/visa. Does anyone know a clean clinic where that can be done? And how much would it cost?

Cheers!!!
Animeisco
Lurker
Lurker

Postby mswp » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:01 pm

You don't get a choice about it -- there's a specific clinic that you go to for the health check.

It depends on the kind of visa you're getting, if you're getting a tourist, business or student visa, you won't need a health check, though a school may "require" a particular check that they administer.

If you are getting a Z visa because you are employed, your company should help you take care of this -- there are documents you have to get before the actual medical appt. When I got my check done last fall, I think it was 800rmb plus 30 to have the report delivered, but the company paid for it.
mswp
Raver
Raver

Postby Magnolia » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:30 pm

mswp is correct, you don't have a choice. for the most part, the clinic is clean although not perfect. but where it counts (needles, etc) they are fine. you will have to book an appointment and have the paperwork in advance.
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. - Mahatma Gandhi
Magnolia
Board Biatch

Postby Animeisco » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:47 pm

Thanks for your reply guys.

Uh actually, I received a scholarship from the chinese government to study chinese back in my home country and since I'm already here.. they asked me to do the medical here. So.. does anyone know where these clinics are located?

Thanks a bunch!
Animeisco
Lurker
Lurker

Postby mswp » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:34 am

Animeisco wrote:Uh actually, I received a scholarship from the chinese government to study chinese back in my home country and since I'm already here.. they asked me to do the medical here. So.. does anyone know where these clinics are located?

What? Are you going to study in your home country? Are you here in Shanghai, or here at home?

If you are currently in Shanghai, and you will be studying in Shanghai, you need to go through the school. Unless it has changed, there is no student visa requirement to get a physical, it's just a money making scheme for the school, so you'll be wasting your time and money if you go anywhere else. If you really need a physical for your visa, you still have to have a stack of paperwork, you don't just show up at the clinic. Go back and talk to the folks at your school. Get really slow and methodical, ask the same questions 3 different ways, and check all your assumptions. You'll find a gap somewhere.
mswp
Raver
Raver

Postby Animeisco » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:20 pm

Oh sorry for my poor grammar. My last post didn't make much sense.
So let me explain again.
I'm currently in Shanghai. I've received a scholarship to study Chinese next year (in China), through the Chinese scholarship council and my home government, Canada. But before I can actually apply to the schools, the scholarship council requires a medical check. Normally, I would do that I home, but since I'm already here, I figured I would do the medical check here (makes sense, no?)
But... I found this place this morning, the Quarantine bureau/ International Travel Center on Hua Mi Road and talking to them for a good 20 minutes, they were not willing to do the medical exam without an admission letter from the university. At the same time, the scholarship council wants the medical exam before I apply to universities...

Gotta love the bureaucracies.. Anywhere else I can try for a medical...?

Cheers
Animeisco
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Magnolia » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:28 am

Is the university willing to pay for a return flight home for you to take the exam at home, plus the translation fees associated with having the exam performed overseas? Probably not. Certainly this is not the first time the university has had an overseas student... perhaps the person who is giving you the information is misinformed... the process the government lays out is pretty straight-forward; however, the school may be expecting you to return to Canada before taking up the scholarship which may be why they want you to incur the expense before issuing the letter.

Oh, I just re-read. Ignore what I wrote.

Looks like you will have to do it in Canada.
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. - Mahatma Gandhi
Magnolia
Board Biatch

Postby mswp » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:37 am

Right, so you don't need a visa health check. So don't go to the state operated place. It sounds like your Chinese is good enough that you could walk into any old Chinese hospital and pay 15rmb.

I like Suntec Medical in Gubei, but about 6 months ago their prices increased dramatically. So ask what they're charging before you start. I would suggest another trip to the school and get a form, or very specific details about what is needed.

Congratulations on your scholarship!

Magnolia wrote:Oh, I just re-read. Ignore what I wrote.

I miss the old Magnolia! She wasn't too lazy to press the delete key.
mswp
Raver
Raver

Postby Magnolia » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:21 am

mswp wrote:Right, so you don't need a visa health check. So don't go to the state operated place. It sounds like your Chinese is good enough that you could walk into any old Chinese hospital and pay 15rmb.

I like Suntec Medical in Gubei, but about 6 months ago their prices increased dramatically. So ask what they're charging before you start. I would suggest another trip to the school and get a form, or very specific details about what is needed.

Congratulations on your scholarship!

Magnolia wrote:Oh, I just re-read. Ignore what I wrote.

I miss the old Magnolia! She wasn't too lazy to press the delete key.

right you are! that was very lazy of me... my apologies to the thread... kind of had a lot going on at the time and the distractions didn't allow me to respond (or read) properly...

i shall shape up!
Magnolia
Board Biatch

Postby Animeisco » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:54 am

Hey thanks for all the replies. The form that I have to complete is the exact same as the one for the visa, the physical examination record of foreigner.

Can I drop in at that Suntec clinic and do the exam? And how much would it cost?

Cheers, and thanks again!
Animeisco
Lurker
Lurker

Return to Health Care