Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  Receive our weekly newsletter.   I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Motorcycle & motorscooter Q & A

Re: Motorcycle & motorscooter Q & A

Postby D.ORiGiNAL » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:28 pm

XxxX wrote:
Karu wrote:Otherwise you are right, you can't legally ride bikes above 250cc inside of Shanghai and express way.

WRONG! buy a Harley-Davidson, Ducati, BMW from the official shops and you are able to get a Shanghai "A" license plate / rego that allows downtown Shanghai riding..... XxxX

True, but spending at least 200 000 RMB for a bike you keep 2 months is NOT a bright idea.

Solution: You send me the copy of your passport and 5000 RMB and we start the driving license process now. You will get your chinese license ready after one month.

Then I can sell you my 2nd bike, a 05 CBR 600 RR with outside of the city plates (you face a 200 RMB fine if you get caught inside the ring...) for 39 000 RMB and buy it back from you 30 000 after 2-4 months.

This is the solution but I advise you NOT to do it :D
D.ORiGiNAL
Rocker
Rocker

Postby ElGatoNegro » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:05 pm

D.ORiGiNAL wrote:
XxxX wrote:
Karu wrote:Otherwise you are right, you can't legally ride bikes above 250cc inside of Shanghai and express way.

WRONG! buy a Harley-Davidson, Ducati, BMW from the official shops and you are able to get a Shanghai "A" license plate / rego that allows downtown Shanghai riding..... XxxX

True, but spending at least 200 000 RMB for a bike you keep 2 months is NOT a bright idea.

Solution: You send me the copy of your passport and 5000 RMB and we start the driving license process now. You will get your chinese license ready after one month.

Then I can sell you my 2nd bike, a 05 CBR 600 RR with outside of the city plates (you face a 200 RMB fine if you get caught inside the ring...) for 39 000 RMB and buy it back from you 30 000 after 2-4 months.

This is the solution but I advise you NOT to do it :D

Yo!

I like your thinking! Send me a PM with your email. I have been thinking or as my sister would say getting stupider and looking at bikes. Also know another guy that is interested.

K
"I only do this for money, send back to baba mama so they can buy 67-inch TV to hang on concrete wall."
prego2000 12 Dec 2013
ElGatoNegro
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby coxaca » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:30 pm

I jumped through all the hoops and got my C1 and E licence a couple of months ago. (Many, many hoops to jump through, but that's another story.)

I ride a gasoline-fired "Da Gui Wang" (the cute, vaguely Aprilia Havana-styled ripoff made by Geely) whose compliance plates and papers show that it has a 49.6cc engine. But in fact it's a 125cc. I purchased it new in Shanghai a little over a year ago and I have the original fa piao and papers.

According to this very thread, and other websites I have perused, a 49.6cc bike needs a blue plate, but a 125cc needs a yellow plate. So the appropriate plate for this bike would depend on whether one believes the compliance plate and papers, or inspects the engine directly. I suspect the former carries more weight.

Compsolutions' post from March 09 states that "no more gas powered bike licences are being issued". However, Article 12 of the Shanghai motorbike law states: "Permanent residents in all the counties, as well as in Pudong New Area (areas beyond the Inner Ring Road), Baoshan District, Jiading District and Minhang District may apply for a suburban plate." So compsolutions' statement presumably applies only to the area within the inner ring road. Unfortunately, that's where I live.

I could just continue to ride my scooter without registration or plates, or alternatively use fake plates, but I'm worried about not carrying third-party insurance. What if I'm in an accident and someone is injured?

It occurred to me that I could register it as a 49cc gas bike with blue plates, under my GF's name (she lives in Baoshan but has a Hunan ID card - nevertheless she does have some kind of residency permit for Baoshan), and this way I could get 3rd party for the bike.

Any advice?
The bottom line here is we must lower our cost base to make room for a lower margin product mix world and to grow our earnings going forward.
coxaca
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby coxaca » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Bump
The bottom line here is we must lower our cost base to make room for a lower margin product mix world and to grow our earnings going forward.
coxaca
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby compsolutions » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:22 pm

CompSolutions would like to point out he rides the bike in the attachment (sporadically).
Licenced in my name, with insurance.

For those into bikes, check http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/
There is more clue there than here.

@coxaca

Put in g/f's name, get insurance, make sure you have a proper licence etc.
Accidents - try not to. mafan galore.
Attachments
loz - yamaha - resized.jpg
PopStar

Postby caseyjames » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Would i be able to ride a scooter in Shangahai with an international license?
http://www.wordplaycontent.com]Content Writing India
caseyjames

Vespa Replica Gas Bike: Licence?

Postby P123 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:21 pm

Planning to get a Vespa replica gas bike but getting a licence looks like a big deal: What would happen if I drove one of these in SH without the licence and got caught, is it serious? Is it more risky to drive vespa gas then vespa electric without a licence in terms of penalty? Also... is it true it's now difficult to purchase gas for these bikes from the filling stations? I read online these some kind of initiative to drive illegal gas bikes off the streets in SH. If so I'll go with the electric. Many thanks.
P123
Barker
Barker

Postby gsbroz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:50 am

@ coxaca

I also have the C&E licenses, a fapiao for my 125cc bike and a Z visa.

I live within the inner ring road and I don't have a Shanghai plate.

PICC (the default third-party insurance provider) was happy to take my money and insure my vehicle anyway. I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

Take all of your documents over to their office (you'll have to do some asking and some looking, but it's in a high rise office tower on TianYaoQiao Road approximately one block south of NanDan Road).

Even with insurance and a license though, the no gas thing is starting to really suck. Which gives me an idea. Has anyone started siphoning yet?
gsbroz

Postby compsolutions » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:32 pm

@gzbroz.

Get into an accident, and see what PICC says then. While they'll be fine taking your money - I think you'll find that if you read the fine print, it states that drivers and transportation must be legal to claim...

Anytime I've been in an accident (sideswiped 2 or 3 times now coming into my office by people illegally using the bus lane thats by our lane entrance to the office...), and have had to go to the insurance place myself I have needed to take my licence, the motor vehicle licence and insurance with*.

*Usually the insurance place does it all for me, but I have done it once or twice myself for the experience. Actually quite fast, and easy.

If you have a valid plate from elsewhere, then you probably can get away with it, although the police are just as likely to fine you and confiscate the bike.
No plate or expired bike licencing though, and the insurance will refuse to pay.

As for petrol, ask nicely at some of the stations that aren't downtown, and they'll usually oblige.
You can also find petrol at some of the bike repair places now. I suspect there will be a crackdown on that once something goes up in smoke due to that.
PopStar

Postby coxaca » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:37 pm

compsolutions and gsbroz, thanks for the feedback. I still have the fapiao for my bike, but as it was purchased 18 months ago, I doubt I could now get it registered even under my GF's name.

Besides, I found out that where she lives (baoshan) is actually inside the outer ring (although outside the inner ring).

The whole thing is so nuts, honestly. They should charge market price for legit plates/registration but make the process really easy. Pushing gas bikes off the road is only going to create more traffic congestion and pollution. For sure, some highly placed official has a scam going, otherwise it makes no sense whatsoever.
coxaca
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby amp5 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:27 am

This is a bit bigger picture and the answer will likely only be speculation but:

Why does the Shanghai/China government hate motorcycles so much? hard to plate, even larger e-bikes, restrictions on gas, no issuance of plates for most types, etc.

Did Mr. Hu have a motorcycle accident in his youth? Or is this just to protect local industry, which doesn't make much sense either since > 50cc seems to be exceedingly troublesome.

Any sign this might change in the next decade?
amp5
Barker
Barker

Postby narung » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:17 am

I also thank all for this information that needed for our day to day life.So i will visit this site .Again thank for all. :lol:
narung
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Algrim » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:20 pm

@ amp5 - I think the restrictions have more to do with emissions and congestion in downtown areas than anything else. Motor scooters are used by the majority of the population and as the number of cars are growing so is the problem with both air quality and pure road space.

In Shanghai where most downtown areas are still relatively small streets this has become a huge concern, hence the ban on motor scooters being within the inner ring road since 2003, I think. While people still don't follow this law they've been taking steps recently to try and make it a bit better off. Plus consider this: how many people do you know that are just terrible drivers in general? I've seen SO many motor scooter accidents from stupid riders that it's not even funny...some of which actually end in death or serious injury.

I'm not talking out of ignorance here either - I've been a driver myself and have seen the roads from that perspective. It's a scary thing out there enough already with just the cars not following traffic laws. Add complications in tight quarters and it's a recipe for disaster.
Need a writer? Contact me at http://www.algworks.com/ and place an order today!
Algrim
Talker
Talker

Postby coxaca » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Algrim, your argument breaks down when you consider that all the ills you outline would be made worse - much worse - by moving scooterists into cars.

Most scooter drivers in Shanghai are not riding for fun. Look how many of them are delivering. Those deliveries still have to take place. With scooters banned, do you think all those people will stop working their jobs? No, they will simply move to cars. Congestion and pollution will worsen substantially.

Sure, it seems sometimes that scooters are multiplying like flies. But I can guarantee you, things will get much worse here without them.
coxaca
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby coxaca » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:12 pm

By the way...

Saw a Western guy riding one of these on Wukang Lu today - same colour. Didn't think to look for plates. Doubt he had them. Looked like he was having fun though.

coxaca
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby Algrim » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Yeah, I've seen those before, pretty cool :) And I'm not arguing to BAN scooters at all - I'm just trying to point out the arguments of the "other side" here (at least according to the reports I've heard from Chinese officials over the years) as well as state some observations I've had.

Honestly if I had a choice between scooters and cars I'd go scooters the whole way - smaller, more convenient and much more affordable on many levels. The questions is: could China ever actually successfully allow registered drivers of scooters only to hit the roads, or would anyone with a few thousand RMB and no skill always be able to take to the streets and cause havoc?
Algrim
Talker
Talker

Postby dteeban » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:16 am

Algrim wrote:The questions is: could China ever actually successfully allow registered drivers of scooters only to hit the roads, or would anyone with a few thousand RMB and no skill always be able to take to the streets and cause havoc?

It's got nothing to do with this and everything to do with eradicating the "me first" mentality that makes every driver here obscenely inconsiderate - scooters, cars, whatever.
dteeban

Postby narung » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:53 am

I was so angry When i can't drive motorcycle. But now i have to able to drive this.Now i will try to drive motorscooter. :)
narung
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby brucejin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:15 am

narung wrote:I was so angry When i can't drive motorcycle. But now i have to able to drive this.Now i will try to drive motorscooter. :)

of course you can drive it.go to http://brucesmotorcycle.blog.163.com/ maybe you can find one, but they just for renting not for sale.
brucejin
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby brucejin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:43 am

Now renting motorcycle and scooter is touched, rent one for fun and freedom.pleas check the web http://brucesmotorcycle.blog.163.com
Bruce.K
brucesmotorcycle@163.com

http://brucesmotorcycle.blog.163.com/
brucejin
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Algrim » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Wow, impressive - I know you can rent cars in Shanghai for less than 100 RMB/day from some dealers. The prices on Bruce's website seem reasonable if taking into account bikes are easier/cheaper to park and get around the city with, but for most expats why go for a motorcycle for more than a car would cost if you really want to go on a trip?
Algrim
Talker
Talker

Postby narung » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks "brucejin" for your suggestion . I'll try .
narung
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby brucejin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:51 pm

Algrim wrote:Wow, impressive - I know you can rent cars in Shanghai for less than 100 RMB/day from some dealers. The prices on Bruce's website seem reasonable if taking into account bikes are easier/cheaper to park and get around the city with, but for most expats why go for a motorcycle for more than a car would cost if you really want to go on a trip?

one thing is to make sure clear that the difference between the car and motor...they are totally different especailly in Shanghai.
Motor is only for the people towards freedom.
brucejin
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby D.ORiGiNAL » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Bruce,

Which plates do you have on the bikes you propose? Shanghai plates?

How much deposit do you ask? Do you provide insurance with it? Is your business legal? Can we have official receipts?

Thanks for your answers.
D.ORiGiNAL
Rocker
Rocker

Postby D.ORiGiNAL » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:10 pm

BUMP
D.ORiGiNAL
Rocker
Rocker

Postby jacobarch » Thu May 12, 2011 1:51 am

Ok so I didn't feel like reading through all the post. But, do you have to get a license for an electric bike/scooter?
jacobarch
Talker
Talker

Postby jet5354 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:17 am

coxaca wrote:Image

Does anyone know if there's a Chinese copy of this? I saw something very similar sometime last year, found it on taobao once but didn't save the link. Now I can't find it at all.
jet5354
Rocker
Rocker

Postby tylerdurden » Thu May 12, 2011 5:51 am

jacobarch wrote:Ok so I didn't feel like reading through all the post. But, do you have to get a license for an electric bike/scooter?

Read through the whole thread and you might find out.
In explaining any human shortcoming, the first tool I reach for is Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
- Steven Pinker
tylerdurden
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby HaroldTheIronmonger » Thu May 12, 2011 5:54 am

jet5354 wrote:
coxaca wrote:Image

Does anyone know if there's a Chinese copy of this? I saw something very similar sometime last year, found it on taobao once but didn't save the link. Now I can't find it at all.

where-to-buy-sachs-madass-motorcycle-t122604.html
‘Sounds like a load of bullsh1t to me, mate’ said Pete. ‘Tequila?’
HaroldTheIronmonger
Board Lord
Board Lord

Postby jacobarch » Thu May 12, 2011 6:41 am

tylerdurden wrote:
jacobarch wrote:Ok so I didn't feel like reading through all the post. But, do you have to get a license for an electric bike/scooter?

Read through the whole thread and you might find out.

Uhg you turd ball
jacobarch
Talker
Talker

PreviousNext

Return to Shanghai Open Chat