My bad experience with dentist Dr. Zhou

My bad experience with dentist Dr. Zhou

Postby VeraM » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:57 pm

I want to share my experience and to hear other opinion. May be someone was more lucky than was I.
About 2 weeks ago I decided it was time for me for teeth cleaning and replace one filling on my front tooth.
I read Shanghai Expat and someone wrote Dr. Zhou is much better than their dentist in Australia and she is a very good doctor. Now I am really wondering what kind of dentists are in Australia?! :wink:
I checked "City weekend" and found this Dr., she works on Huashan Road, very close to my home, I called to her, the receptionist-guy was a very nice, so cleaning was 200 rmb and 1 filling - 300 rmb.
I made an appointment on 10th of April at 14.00. The Dr. took me at 14.15, she was a really nice, good English, a very nice voice and intonations.
She cleaned my teeth without scaling, and she replaced my old filling (old one looked really bad). She showed me her work with mirror but I could not see something well because she made me too much anesthesia, I did not fell one half of my face. Before anesthesia she put me a special cream on gum and I even did not feel a pain of injection.
She told me I should not eat on that side during 24 hours. Dr. made such a good expression on me and I was completely happy. Also she told I should fix 2 other front teeth but I did not have a free time next week and I told I would schedule my appointment.
Next day, Saturday, I started to feel discomfort in my mouth and I found pieces of filing on my gum, between my teeth and the filling was not really well because on the tooth just was a piece without any fillings.
On Sunday, 12th of April, I started to feel a pain in my gum. I called them back, I told that to the guy-receptionist and he gave a phone to the Dr.
She talked to me very nice and to fix these problems she made me an appointment on Tuesday, 14th of April.
I came there, started talked to the receptionist, he asked me, why did I come. I told "why", he told me I needed to make an appointment with Dr. Zhou. I answered - I did. BUT DR. WAS NOT THERE! SHE DID NOT WRITE ME IN HER SCHEDULE! :(
OK, her technician was trying to fix my problem. But she could not. In the end she put me "very good drug" on the gum - iodine in glycerol and this drug should help me a lot..... :lol:
But pain was still there and called her on Thursday with complains, Dr. talked to me very nice again. She told if my pain would not go away I should call her on Saturday.
On Saturday, 18th of April ALL that side of my mouth was hurting. I called to her, I talked to her, she made me an appointment on this Tuesday, 21st of April, at 3.00 pm. I asked her TO NOT forget to write down this appointment this time like it was last time. She told "sorry". I am telling you - Dr. is very nice person on the phone.
So I came today there, that receptionist already knew my name, he asked me, how I was. I told - "I am in constant pain". He went in the Dr.´s room and told her something.
After me very soon came a white man. The Dr. was busy. At 3.45 Dr. went to other room, I asked that receptionist, how long should I wait. He answered "now Dr. will have extraction of a wisdom tooth and I do not know when Dr. is free".
I stood up and told "ok", "I am leaving", the receptionist told - "I would call you when Dr. is free" , I told "No, thank you", he told "I would call to you tomorrow", I told "no, thank you".
The result of my visit to this Dr. Zhou - after cleaning I still have a brown spots on my teeth. After the filling I have a pain during 10 days.
What is really surprising me - she did this filling and I came there twice and she even does not want to fix HER JOB!!!
Why I am writing here. I think people should be responsible for their job and I got complete disappointing with her.
I would never never go there again.
In a few day we are flying to Austria, I hope to fix my tooth there....
Thanks for reading...
VeraM
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Zak101 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:41 pm

Ahh, the voodoo of expensive, ineffectual Chinese dentistry for the Laowai. I have personal bad stories but won't tell, YET.

Z.
It's time I got a real job in China ! Coming here was career destruction - but that's about to change. Push your luck at http:\\www.lucky-jamieson.com
Zak101
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby shanghailuv » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:26 am

same here. I wont share it now !!
shanghailuv
Rocker
Rocker

Postby VeraM » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:59 am

I was a stupid, I knew a while ago we would fly to Austria but I wanted go there already with "wonderful" teeth. :cry:
Guys, please, tell yours stories.
VeraM
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby DrShanghai » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:13 am

I have great experience with UFH Had To have two teeth extracted, that had been botched by a Dentist in The USA. Was top notch. Not cheap but cheaper than I would pay for an Oral surgeon in the US. I am scheduled for more work after I return to Shanghai in June. Will keep you posted.
DrShanghai
Rocker
Rocker

Postby freedelia » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah, i think we have another case of "Bensonism" on the forum...
freedelia
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby VeraM » Fri May 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Delia, excuse me? For you it is just "another case" but for me it is a lot of pain and spending money and my time to try to fix what this "Dr." has done to me.
VeraM
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby DrShanghai » Fri May 01, 2009 11:34 pm

I feel your pain, Delia is angry at the world just ignore her. Have you gotten any relief?
If not at least ,have a consult with Dr. VALAI, Vassal, he is a really caring nice guy,
DrShanghai
Rocker
Rocker

Postby DrShanghai » Fri May 01, 2009 11:36 pm

Sorry United Family Dental Clinic. 3326-3999
DrShanghai
Rocker
Rocker

Postby VeraM » Sat May 02, 2009 1:45 am

to Dr.Shanghai - thank you. I am in Austria now, I went to the dentist on Monday, he just polished that filling and made it smaller and told me I should not have any pain in 2-3 days. But this tooth is still hurting. (Austrian dentist cleaned my teeth again and made me 2 small filling in other teeth and they are fine but this unhappy tooth is no luck)
We are flying back to Shanghai on this Sunday so if I am not fine next week I will go somewhere again.
Thank you for the recomendation. So is Dr. Valai in Family United Dental Clinic? Is he a Chinese?
VeraM
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby DrShanghai » Sat May 02, 2009 11:33 am

Hi is a French Canadian, Also If you are Austrian there is a wonderful Oral Surgeon from Germany, Dr.Anja-Michaela Lenschow. For the Pain she might be a good one to consult, She is an MD
She speaks perfect English and Deutsch.
Good luck.
Last edited by DrShanghai on Sat May 02, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrShanghai
Rocker
Rocker

Postby freedelia » Sat May 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Vera, I am sorry, my reply was not to you, it was to Dr. Shanghai, who spams the forum with wonderful reviews of Shanghai United.

When I said "another case of bensonism" I was referring to Benson Salon who spammed the forum so much with wonderful reviews that people decided to boycott them. I feel that Dr. Shanghai is doing the same, but writing wonderful reviews about United, everything is great there and he so happened to experience them all, both there and at all the other hospitals in Shanghai, so he can compare.

I am not angry at anything, just a little ticked off at how people like Dr. Shanghai think everyone esle is so dumb that we will not see right through his cheap marketing techniques.
freedelia
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby Pinkerbelle » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:01 am

Recently visited Dr. Zhou, and thought I'd add my 2 cents.

In short, I too was not impressed. Last year I had my cleaning and checkup when I went back to the US for a visit, but not having insurance back home is a killer! One of my colleagues had a crown replaced at Dr. Zhou's and said she did cleanings as well, so I figured I'd go there and check it out, 200 RMB is much more reasonable than what I paid in the US.

The cleaning was NOT like the cleaning I get back home. (BTW, I've been in this country long enough not to expect the same level of service from every place, but I know it does exist. I'm not just whining.) The hygienist just used a water pic and a tiny bit of cleaner on my teeth, but it wasn't anything special that I couldn't do at home.

When Dr. Zhou came in, she took a peek around my mouth, and said I had a cavity between my two front teeth. I pointed out that I actually already have a filling there, and she proceeded to argue with me that I do not. Now, my filling fell out a few years back and I ended up with a hole between my two front teeth (very attractive), that had to be re-filled, so I'm pretty damn sure I'm not imagining things. She then told me that a discoloration on my tooth (which I've had since it grew in when I was 6) was in fact, a filling (I'm 100% sure it is not). No poking my teeth with the metal pick, no checking my gums, no x-rays (which would have cleared up the cavity/filling debate)...overall, a waste of money (IMHO)

Basically, if you're going to have dental work done in China, or even a cleaning, spend the money to have it done right. It will probably be more expensive than in your home country, but at least you know they know what they're doing.
Pinkerbelle
Talker
Talker

Postby Angellore » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:53 pm

Wow, thank you people. I was about to call Dr. Zhou to have my wisdom tooth removed. I saw the same comment VeraM did.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Angellore

Postby mat » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:37 pm

The OP said on Huashan Lu. The Dr Zhou i know is on Hengshan lu. Something a bit weird here.
mat
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Cool

Postby Pinkerbelle » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:13 pm

mat wrote:The OP said on Huashan Lu. The Dr Zhou i know is on Hengshan lu. Something a bit weird here.

I noticed that too, figured it was a mistake, sounded like the same office. I saw the Dr. Zhou on Hengshan near Grand Gateway...31st floor or something.
Pinkerbelle
Talker
Talker

Return to Health Care