New to Shanghai

New to Shanghai

Postby dq » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:39 pm

Hi All

I am currently working in Singapore and my company has plans to reallocate me to Shanghai. Have been browsing and surfing around many sites for information with regards to compensation packages, rentals, tax issues, etc. Hence am wondering if you guys can help me out here.

1) Understand that the standard of living may have moved up over time, but would be a comfortable income living in Shanghai?
2) What is the average rental package being offered to expats in Shanghai? My company is asking me to scout around for some estimates. Our office is located in Yuan An East Road, Huangpu District. Thus would probably be looking for an apartment around the area. Any estimates?
3) Tax in China is much higher than Singapore. How are you guys coping with this?
4) Would I suffer due in terms of CPF contributions?
5) What are the documentations that I would require before going over or visa applications?

Apologies for the long list, but really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.
dq
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby kanasai » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:54 pm

hi dq, looks like your company is not helping you relocate.... they should! They should hire relocation agents or tax agents to advise you.

Not sure the reason of your relocation, but if you are given a choice, it'd be advisable to request for higher income and more benefits to cover your immediate expenses (accomodation, visa, medical, insurance, flybacks) as well as hardship. Otherwise, stay put in beautiful and convenient Singapore!

If you have no choice and to DIY, it's going to require lots of research and analysis.

1) Standard of living here is similar (or less) to Singapore lifestyle.... converted rate (not dollar to dollar). So if you are earning basic S$10K, you should have at least maybe RMB40k.
2) Nice apartments can range up to RMB20k per month, very subjective (size, location, convenience, etc.)
3) If tax is higher, your company should compensate for loss. Why should you be absorbing losses?
4) Again, loss of CPF should be compensated by your company
5) Your local travel agent will be able to advise you on the process. They can do it from 1 day to 1 week, depending on cost and urgency.
kanasai
Talker
Talker

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:11 pm

More than any other large city I have lived in, there is a huge range of prices and varying levels of service.

You can browse the real estate section for some ideas http://cityspace.shanghaiexpat.com - but you have to lay down some guidelines for your agent.. for instance.. 3 BR apt - huangpu district - newer building - 10K a month. If you shop around you can probably even get it much cheaper than that.

Comfortable income depends on your lifestyle choices.. It is possible to live well very cheap and it is possible to live well very expensively. Depends on how much you go out to upscale restaurants.. how many 60 RMB drinks you consume every week, if you hire a car and driver, how much imported stuff you buy. OR if you shop at the local wet market and cook at home often, don't drink much, and use public transportation.

Many large companies have some kind of tax equalization arrangement - especially if you pay tax in your home country and in China.

Visa documentation is pretty standard.. details are several places on the site.

There are several good discussions about expat packages already on this board.. google it on the left and or browse the forums ( Relocation and the Visa Legalities especially )
Michael

Busy Busy-

Mood: Happy

Return to Shanghai Open Chat