Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  Receive our weekly newsletter.   I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Next Tuesday Night Dinner?

F&B, Groceries and everything in between!

Next Tuesday Night Dinner?

Postby indyshiu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Not sure if dates/venues have been discussed 'back at the ranch' for the next dinner, but would anyone be up for checking out Maya? That's Brad Turley's Mexican joint on Julu Lu.

Brad served up some tasty food at 239 and Maneo, as well as a mean Chili at the first Cook Off, so I'm happy to try his food wherever he lands...
indyshiu
Reacher
Reacher

Postby yu888 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:40 pm

hmm sounds interesting...but would need to get someone to work out a deal...
6 years of experiences, good, bad ugly... and survived.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby babyjeans » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:55 pm

What happened to Maneo anywayz?
babyjeans
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Flyingsnow » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:22 pm

Nothing official has been set up under the auspices of SHEX but I would still be up to try Maya if anyone else wants to go. If you are interested send me a pm by 2pm tomorrow (Tues) with your contact details (ideally a cell phone #) and I will make a reservation for about 7pm.
Flyingsnow
Talker
Talker

Postby yu888 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:57 am

yeah sorry, this past week passed by too quickly so didnt set up the dinner for today, but will do one next Tuesday.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby indyshiu » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:01 pm

So I went to check out Maya on Saturday night. 6 of us at 8:30pm. The place was buzzing and packed. Its was a bit noisy, but we were all enjoying the 'escapism' aspect of the restaurant. In that we almost felt as if we were outside of China for the night. So kudos for the vibe and decor.

However, there were several service issues mainly stemming from not enough servers/waiters and inexperienced ones to boot. So, while the food was great, I would probably hold off organizing a big group dinner there for a little while.

There was an expat Maitre'd there, but I think there were too many issues and too many people for him to keep a handle on.
indyshiu
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Buzzd » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:27 pm

What did you eat? Prices? I've got a Mexican jones!
Buzzd
PopStar
PopStar

Postby indyshiu » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Ok, since you asked :) We ordered a bunch of tacos and I think the beef was the best of the bunch. They were 25rmb or there was some deal for the sampler order of 3. The snapper ceviche was excellent, flavored with coconut milk and lime. A big miss, however, was the quesadilla, which turned out to be 4 tiny wedges with not so much cheese. That was not worth the 28rmb (or maybe it was even slightly more?)

Entrees ranged in the 120-180rmb range, so like everything else a bit on the pricey side. I shared the Chicken Casserole, which while tasty was not a 'casserole' in my definition, but more like a stew. It had shrimp and chicken in a chipotle adobe sauce with a few quesadillas on top. The 180rmb entree was the grilled steak. I can't remember if it was supposed to be a rib-eye cut. But, my friend ordered it medium-rare and it came out pretty bloody. So, he had to send it back to have it cooked longer.

We also ordered a handful of side dishes. Very small! The cumin spinach, refried beans dish (more like a meat chili), and 'potato of the day' (mashed potatoes with chopped olives) were all delicious. The 'picked vegetables' were pathetic though. A few chunks of boiled potato and cauliflower in a vinegary brine.

Using the Enjoy card for our 10% discount (which surprisingly was also off the two pitchers of Sangria), dinner for 6 was about $225 per person.

I'll definitely go back, despite the service issues. The food was good enough to warrant that (now that we know some dishes not to order). As 'authentic' Mexican as you can get in these parts...
indyshiu
Reacher
Reacher

Postby yu888 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:36 pm

yeah sorry for dropping the ball on this but I ad to head out of town a bit so ... sigh. Hope someone can put a dinner together. Otherwise it wil be next month before i get back.

Sounds liek a decent meal there though...looking forward to trying it!

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Return to Food & Drink