Nudity in Swimming pool changing rooms

Nudity in Swimming pool changing rooms

Postby ro_ag » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:33 pm

Dear all,

Sometimes people go full monty in the common area of the swimming pool changing rooms. They forget that there can be kids around.

Is such behaviour legal? Can a swimming pool changing room of a club house be considered as a public place, as I am sure in China there are rules again nudity in public places.

Should such behaviour be socially tolerable, again given the fact that there could kids around of different ages and coming from different cultures where such behaviour could be shocking.
ro_ag

Postby dfoo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:40 pm

What is the "common area"? Do you mean a mixed sex area, or a common area in a male/female only changing room? If you mean, the latter what is the big deal? It is certainly this way in the US/Canada/UK... Where else do you expect people to get changed?
dfoo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby ro_ag » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:50 pm

I mean the male/female only changing room but the place where there are the mirrors, the hair dryers and the storage lockers etc.
ro_ag

Postby sbergman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:01 pm

Where are you from ro_ag?
sbergman
Veejay
Veejay

Postby dfoo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:01 pm

Ok, so what is wrong with getting changed there? Where do you expect people to get changed?
dfoo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby ro_ag » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:04 pm

Shouldn't they change in a changing room with a door or use a tower to wrap around themselves when changing?
ro_ag

Postby dfoo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:07 pm

No.
dfoo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby genghis » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:09 pm

It's all a plot so they can see your laowai pen1s.
genghis
Raver
Raver

Postby ro_ag » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:09 pm

In that case, do such people have the same behaviour at their homes, taking bath/shower with doors open?
ro_ag

Postby dfoo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:13 pm

Dude, I've been in many places and in every place with a changing room (ie: gym/swimming pool) there are naked people occasionally when getting changed (ie: after a shower, after swimming), or whatever. Whats the big deal? I mean if you are standing there wanking or whatever, yeah, that's a problem. But since when did the sight of a naked human cause irreperable harm to a child?
dfoo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby sbergman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:41 am

Besides, how can you blow dry your privates if you've got them covered up?
sbergman
Veejay
Veejay

Postby p1atl10 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:18 am

^ Spot on!!

Go to any pool, golf course, etc changing room in Asia. And there will be naked people walking around all areas inside the door to the lobby.

Deal with it.

What took me some time to get used to in China was the little old ladies cleaning the bathrooms while I am standing there doing what I cam to do....

Maam? Could you mop the floor directly around my feet a little later please?
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.....Dave Barry
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby genghis » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:52 am

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, that's a bit... unnerving...
genghis
Raver
Raver

Postby That_Chinese_Girl » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:24 am

dfoo wrote:Ok, so what is wrong with getting changed there? Where do you expect people to get changed?

If there are no closed door changing rooms, I change in the locker. :D
That_Chinese_Girl
PopStar
PopStar

Postby maneo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:20 am

p1atl10 wrote:What took me some time to get used to in China was the little old ladies cleaning the bathrooms while I am standing there doing what I cam to do....

Get it all in the urinal so she won't have to mop so soon. :wink:
maneo
Rocker
Rocker

Postby p1atl10 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:00 am

^ I do....few others succeed it seems...
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.....Dave Barry
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby rucksack » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:36 am

ro_ag wrote:In that case, do such people have the same behaviour at their homes, taking bath/shower with doors open?

In the very recent past (or maybe it still exists) there were/are public/ communal washrooms because people didn't always have them in their homes. The universities I taught at had only communal shower rooms segregated by sex only. This is a very densly populated country, this culture is not very individualistic and in general does not always respect American versions of privacy. You may have noticed other behaviors that seem intrusive to you.

You have to deal with it politely.
rucksack
Reacher
Reacher

Postby dfoo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:07 am

Hey, if you go into a bathroom outside of Shanghai (perhaps it also happens IN Shanghai, but I've never noticed it) you often find a nice row of people taking a crap. No door. Doesn't seem to bother the crappers (talking on the cell phone, while having a smoke and reading the newspaper)!
dfoo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby sbergman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:14 am

At one time the public restrooms here had dividers but one receiving trough. Only took me one time to figure out that you always want to be upstream.
sbergman
Veejay
Veejay

Re: Nudity in Swimming pool changing rooms

Postby shanghaiceltic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:27 am

ro_ag wrote:Dear all,

Sometimes people go full monty in the common area of the swimming pool changing rooms. They forget that there can be kids around.

Is such behaviour legal? Can a swimming pool changing room of a club house be considered as a public place, as I am sure in China there are rules again nudity in public places.

Should such behaviour be socially tolerable, again given the fact that there could kids around of different ages and coming from different cultures where such behaviour could be shocking.

They are called Changing Rooms for a reason. What about the ladies taking their young male offspring into the womens changing room. Is that a problem for the females? Get real...
Being PC is like trying to pick up a dog turd by the clean end...
shanghaiceltic
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Re: Nudity in Swimming pool changing rooms

Postby BitterExpat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:14 am

ro_ag wrote:Dear all,

I'm with you on this. Why just the other day I was in Kedi where they had CONDOMS, not only for sale without a prescription-- but in full view next to the cash register where any child could see them! It's things like this, the habit of the local women going about without properly covering their heads, and these inscrutable celestials blasphemous habit of consuming alcohol on Sunday that makes me remember that indeed it is the burden of the white man to bring proper civilization and moral behavior to the lesser peoples of God's Good Earth.
BitterExpat
Raver
Raver

Postby p1atl10 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:21 am

Can we have an "Amen, Brother!"?
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby bloomark » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:17 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, weird habits and behavior always make Chinese incongruous with the world.
Never expect accountable tips from a bitter rum runner.
bloomark
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby Kiwi » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:32 am

I am having trouble believing that even the heathen Chinese would go naked in a changing room of all places!
All for rum, and rum for all!
Kiwi
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby sbergman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:43 am

Has anyone else noticed that "old braless women" season seems to have begun? So much for the theory that smaller breasts don't sag.
sbergman
Veejay
Veejay

Postby monkeyboyz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:17 pm

I wonder what one would be changing in a "changing room" if not one's clothes? I don't know what the changing rooms are like in China, but here in the US, they are much too small for changing such things as automobile tires....
I suppose those who are too dainty to risk being seen nude or being exposed to the nudity of others just have to go home wet.
I am much more appalled by the fact that we can hardly go into a movie theater without my kids being exposed to violent video games in the lobby showing blood spattering from gunshot wounds, people being beheaded by monsters, etc.
monkeyboyz
Seeker
Seeker

Postby bloomark » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:56 pm

I am having trouble believing that even the heathen Chinese would go naked in a changing room of all places!

Sorry, Kiwi, I can't dig you. What do you mean?
Never expect accountable tips from a bitter rum runner.
bloomark
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby ChicoStateDisciple » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:12 pm

I am trying to think of a time when I been in the vicinity of a shower and not been naked.
ChicoStateDisciple
Reacher
Reacher

Postby rayne » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:26 pm

Long distance bus station, beside Shanghai railway station. Been there a couple of times.

sbergman wrote:At one time the public restrooms here had dividers but one receiving trough. Only took me one time to figure out that you always want to be upstream.
rayne
Raver
Raver

Postby rayne » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:28 pm

I do so. But then, I live alone.
ro_ag wrote:In that case, do such people have the same behaviour at their homes, taking bath/shower with doors open?
rayne
Raver
Raver

Next

Return to Shanghai Open Chat