Online payments in China - taobao, amazon

Information on everything from mobile apps to buying a new laptop or PC

Online payments in China - taobao, amazon

Postby butako » Sun May 31, 2009 9:06 am

I'm trying to buy from Amazon or Taobao, but it seems neither of them accept Visa. Well I found Amazon accept American Express so I managed to buy something from them. But Taobao redirects to Alipay.com and although Alipay gives an option for Visa payments they would not accept any of my many international cards (both UK and Japan...) !

So how do people pay for stuff on Taobao?

It appears to be via bank transfer... but Citibank China or HSBC China are not supported by alipay it seems. Only the domestic banks?!

Please help, I really miss internet shopping. Its the nearest thing to star trek replicators, just tell the computer and a few days later it appears. But in China its so hard to pay!!
butako
Lurker
Lurker

Postby chingiskhan » Sun May 31, 2009 10:45 am

I always pay Amazon with Visa, how can they not accept Visa?
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby sinned69 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:01 am

taobao is simple. you need to setup a local China bank account (after all its a local sellers eSite). once you have your local bank account, either with or without internet access, you simply place funds into the account and then forward funds for payment via alipay... held in escrow until product/goods arrive and if all is in order you release the funds/payment. that's the basics. but you need to be able to converse in Chinese for most merchants/sellers to get the right info and best deal etc. there are a few speciality sites that have sprung up of late that act as a go-between, especially for foreigners without Chinese language ability etc.

we use taobao all the time... mostly we place funds into the specially setup bank account (just for taobao) via internet or occasionally, physically walk up the road to the bank and deposit the money via the teller...

you can forget about using your international credit card here... many merchants won't accept it, as the merchant fees are too high... get yourself a local credit card
45-50wpm w 3-5% error rate. i apologise now for my typos. - damn butter fingers :P
sinned69
PopStar
PopStar

Mood: Cool

Postby iphonebabe » Sun May 31, 2009 11:37 am

Without chinese language skills you better do not try taobao.
iphonebabe
Seeker
Seeker

Postby chunki » Sun May 31, 2009 12:52 pm

It's actually not that hard to use Taobao without Chinese. There's a good website at www.taobaofieldguide.com that shows you the process step-by-step.
chunki
Talker
Talker

Postby MoonOverMiami » Sun May 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Amazon.cn you can select COD. Someone in our office is currently doing that.
Charly: "Were you always this stupid or did you take lessons?"
Mitch: "I took lessons."
MoonOverMiami
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Rumpelstiltskin » Sun May 31, 2009 1:47 pm

Just ask local friends or classmates or employees or coworkers they will do it for you you can just give them cash.
Rumpelstiltskin
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby butako » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:52 pm

My package from Amazon.cn finally arrived today. I ordered a cheap network hub to test China Amazon. It took 10 days to arrive and the box is so badly battered it looks like it was sent from outer mongolia on the back of a jinrikisha. Terrible service!!! The hub works ok.
but oh i miss my amazon.co.jp prime next-day delivery service...
butako
Lurker
Lurker

Return to Technology