Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  Receive our weekly newsletter.   I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Passport Renewal, Chinese visa in old Passport

Ask about visas and legal issues

Passport Renewal, Chinese visa in old Passport

Postby minsh » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi, I just ran out of pages in my passport (UK) and need to renew back in uk over xmas but still have another 3 months left on my visa expiring end of jan 11, does anyone know if this visa will still be valid for getting back into China (early Jan), after I get the new passport back? Many thanks.
minsh
Squeeker
Squeeker

Re: Passport Renewal, Chinese visa in old Passport

Postby monalisalee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Yes. You should be fine, but need to have BOTH passports to get in, then when you get your visa renewed, it will go in the new one, and the old one becomes history.
Last edited by monalisalee on Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby coxaca » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:38 pm

I second that. I've been in precisely the same situation (as I'm sure have most old hands here), and it's simply a matter of carrying both old and new passport.

Make sure you get onto the passport renewal process asap. You should ensure that it's ready to pick up next time you're in the UK. Passports with less than 6 months' validity can cause problems for you at incoming immigration booths in various countries, not just China.
The bottom line here is we must lower our cost base to make room for a lower margin product mix world and to grow our earnings going forward.
coxaca
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby chingiskhan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm not sure you can get a new passport that quickly in the UK it takes a few weeks, better to do what I did and get a new one here before you travel. Then carry two around as people have said already until the visa expires then get the new visa in new passport and you're all set.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby jzzzzzzz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:50 pm

To echo Chingiskhan I have heard that the UK Passport Centres are taking longer than in previous years to issue new passports.
jzzzzzzz
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby chingiskhan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:08 pm

For Brits in China, UK passport renewals are all handled from HK now.

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help- ... asia/china

Takes 4 weeks.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby minsh » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:41 pm

Thanks good news about the visa still being valid, but looks like I need to start processing the new passport asap... I'm flying SH to Qingdao in around 3 weeks, do I need to send my old passport to HK in order to get the new one? Based on the web link it seems they cancel the old one electronically as soon as they receive the application.. if I keep hold of the old passport, will it still get me through the airport Shanghai to Qingdao if it has been electronically cancelled? Otherwise I'll have to do it in UK, but again only planning to stay 2 weeks in UK, I'd need to start the application now.... if I did that would the old passport still be valid to get me from SH to UK? Thanks again!
minsh
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby minsh » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:55 pm

just read the link again, looks like they DO need my old passport to process the new one in HK... dam! That rules out HK as I don't have enough time. Does anyone know if it's possible to do a renewal in UK from China without needing to send them my old passport? I could collect it then in dec when I get back to uk. thanks!
minsh
Squeeker
Squeeker

Return to Legal Issues