Poker Thread

This forum is for chatting about living the good life in Shanghai

Re: Poker Thread

Postby Juan_Tamad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:19 am

TIC wrote:It also worried me a bit..

Eventhough we dont play for money, we are paying for it right?

Has anyone every played in this before that wants to share their thoughts?

I feel the same way..nervous because its a public place .
A few of my poker friends got busted years back and was jailed and deported...
YOU WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE I LIFE, AND NEVER REMEMBERED FOR WHAT YOU HAVE NOT DONE
Juan_Tamad
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby Yejo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:50 am

Hi all,

You are right. I before got informations about what is possible to do and what is forbidden, but i just read this whole thread (especially the last 3 pages), and it seems i got uncomplete informations before. And it makes me scaring now... And i totally understand your feelings.

I'm considering cancelling the event... I'm waiting for confirmation about the exact regulation. But above all, i don't want to take any risk for anybody, the bar, players, my company and me.
Hope that we would not have to cancel... :cry::
Get R.I.E.L
A Refreshing-Inspiring-Empowering Life
Yejo
Talker
Talker

Mood: Happy

Postby Juan_Tamad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:56 am

Yejo wrote:Hi all,

You are right. I before got informations about what is possible to do and what is forbidden, but i just read this whole thread (especially the last 3 pages), and it seems i got uncomplete informations before. And it makes me scaring now... And i totally understand your feelings.

I'm considering cancelling the event... I'm waiting for confirmation about the exact regulation. But above all, i don't want to take any risk for anybody, the bar, players, my company and me.
Hope that we would not have to cancel... :cry::

Well you should check....
A bar holds bingo games also with gifts rather than cash as prices. I have joined that game once.
Poker and bingo..i am not sure if the psb consider them in the same league...check it out
YOU WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE I LIFE, AND NEVER REMEMBERED FOR WHAT YOU HAVE NOT DONE
Juan_Tamad
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby mat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:13 pm

As stated before the law is ;

NO house rake
Less than 12 people.
Less than 50,000rmb total stakes. (Not sure how you work this out).

ÍF the above is satisfied, it is TECHNICALLY legal. HOWEVER, do you think the cops give a stuff about what the law says when they have 4 cop cars full of laowais heading back to the station?

For prizes (beer, keyrings, hotel nights etc...) is fine. Just make sure it is advertised as that.
mat
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Cool

Postby TIC » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Its crazy though if you think of it. Sports betting booths scattered across the city, people playing mahjiang for money outdoors, playing cards with money on the table, cricket fights in public areas, betting on anything that moves in every possible way.

But a game of poker is appearantly illegal because its 'gambling'.

TIC?
Ricky : “Karl, you are the strangest man on the planet.”
Karl: “You haven’t been to China.”
TIC

Shanghai

Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby mat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:23 pm

It will loosen up a bit soon. Horse racing WILL be happening in China early next year. Facilities are being built (already a couple done). It's going to be a MASSIVE jobs boost, not to mention the dollars the Govt/officials will rake out of it.
mat
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby badger02 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Yejo, on the one hand I am glad you are being honest and saying that you will check it out and concerned that you might not have been given all the right information, but on the other hand, the fact that you are only just reading this topic also concerns me and leads me to believe that you have not done all your research.

You have to remember this, some police avoid foreigners as much as possible as too much paperwork, some police like foreigners because they think they can make money from them.

If the police arrest a Chinese person for betting money on whatever game (which is unlikely) then they will probably get a telling of and maybe a fine, but if a foreigner gets arrested then there is a risk that they could get their visa revoked and then deported, and that ain't worth it for a game of poker when I can play at my friends houses for a laugh, a pizza, beer and bad jokes.
badger02
Ranter
Ranter

Postby Yejo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Hey guys,

Thank you for your concern and good advices. There are all very precious, and thus i made the decision of cancelling the event.

Of course i don't want to put anybody into troubles, and i think i would even be the one to get the most of it as well.

I guess i didn't look enough about the illegal part of that kind of event. However i asked a lawyer here about it, and got a positive anwer about it, explaining that if the players don't win money it is fine. That is why i blindly went all through this. I guess i should look deeper into the regulation... Please forgive me for that, i'm deeply sorry.

Since, we are thinking of something else, but i don't know if it would attract people interest... We thought it could be nice to play for charities, the funds would go for it, and only for it. I could check with the public security bureau to ask if it could be authorized. If it is ok, and with a written approval, we should not get any trouble, right? I could even ask if it is possible to still have some small gifts?

The fact is, even if it is possible, would people be interested without any bait? I know that poker would lose a lot of interest if we don't scare of losing and are not running after the jackpot...

What would you think of this concept then? If it was you, would you be interested? It could still be a nice moment to share for the pleasure of playing in a nice place and drinking beers, no?

I know, i'm persistent... lol
Get R.I.E.L
Yejo
Talker
Talker

Postby mat » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:50 pm

As long as it's for prizes and not for cash, you will be fine. The problem is that you weren't clear about that in your original post.
mat
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby TIC » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Yejo wrote: What would you think of this concept then? If it was you, would you be interested? It could still be a nice moment to share for the pleasure of playing in a nice place and drinking beers, no?

I know, i'm persistent... lol

So I'd have to pay money to bust my ass for a few hours playing poker and if I win I still get nothing?

Dont want to sound rude or anything, and charity is great, but I prefer to donate in the normal way..

No thanks
Ricky : “Karl, you are the strangest man on the planet.”
Karl: “You haven’t been to China.”
TIC

Shanghai

Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby driven4rhythm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:03 pm

A few bars in the United States have poker games where you can play without gambling. You can win gift certificates for meals and other things. Usually they would bring in around twenty people and these people would buy beers and food and the bar would make some profit and everyone gets to play for free.

Also, I've been without poker for almost three months in Shanghai now. I played a few games when I first got here but those guys stopped playing. Anyone have a game going on that I could join in?
driven4rhythm
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby boxy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:56 pm

I have never played a game of poker where no money changed hands. Ever.

Any event officially organized and advertised will attract side betting among friends and the attention of the cops so you will be open to get raided, no matter what.

In the UK poker in bars is limited to £5 stake per competition and a maximum prize pool of £100 per day :? . Shame the Chinese can't compromise like this. We had a poker league which attracted 26 players one week so the pot was £130. Perhaps someone should have called the police.
boxy
Talker
Talker

Postby Yejo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:11 pm

It's a pity we cannot have the same as UK....

All these things are too much troublesome, i don't have the courage to overcome all these difficulties and i don't want to face those risks.. I give up.

Thanks for your ideas and advices. And wish you to enjoy your underground poker games :wink:
Get R.I.E.L
Yejo
Talker
Talker

Postby kappakai » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:42 am

Hey. Is the weekly game at Bubbas still going on? What about the Beavers Den? Been three years since I left SH, back here for a week. Wouldn't mind seeing some old faces and taking their money.
kappakai
Reacher
Reacher

Postby chamaflauge » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:07 am

Hey guys I found a unique cafe in pudong(a bit next to ke ji guan). The boss is really nice there. And I want to turn it into a casual poker environment. Hopefully we can have some weekly games. I think the games around lately are just too damn expensive. Maybe sit and go games are good 100-300 yuan. Maybe some of you guys can sponsor chips.

I'm thinking next Sunday we can have a game.

My number is 1860-173-1951
chamaflauge
Ranter
Ranter

Postby chamaflauge » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:35 am

Hey

Me and my Chinese sister have opened up a new Cafe spot in Pudong called "Soul Cafe". It's about a 10 minute taxi ride from Century Avenue and 15 minutes from Lui Jia Zui. It's a small cafe located on a quiet street.

I was thinking that I wanted to start a poker club maybe one day a week. It's relatively safe from "the man" because there are 2 or 3 places playing Mahjong and Chinese poker nearby for high stakes.

The set-up would be low stakes poker. Tournament/Sit and go Maybe 2-300 yuan buy-in. 5-10 yuan blinds. You deal your own cards, and no % to the owner(my lil chinese sis) just buy a drink here and there(A beer is like 15 yuan).We can elect a treasurer every week.

Theres no place to play poker in Pudong really, so I think it's a pretty good idea as long as it doesn't become high stakes.

The History of "Soul Cafe"

It used to be a Japanese restuarant and it closed down because of lack of customers. Then it was a small pizza restuarant called "Farmers Pizza" and that also closed down because of lack of customers. Both of the places I loved going to because the design/set-up and atmosphere was nice, but because its a pretty quiet street and lack of business acumen they both shut down within months.

I'm kind of deteremined not to let that same fate happen to this place. The boss is nice, shes a young girl from Sichuan who came with her sister to open this place up. They have a 3 year lease so it won't close any time soon. I just don't want them to go through the same fate.

If interested send me a pm

Let's play poker :)

Randy
chamaflauge
Ranter
Ranter

Postby mattb » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:15 pm

dammit I wanna play, if someone got a home game PM me
mattb
Seeker
Seeker

Postby LT » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:46 pm

Been playing the Sunday freeroll at expatpoker(.)com. Good fun.
LT
Lurker
Lurker

Postby mattb » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:58 pm

LT wrote:Been playing the Sunday freeroll at expatpoker(.)com. Good fun.

yeah i played in the first one of them but 3pm on sunday is a bit of an annoying time, poker is a nighttime activity! with alcohol! and a little sumfing sumfing to keep it interesting.
mattb
Seeker
Seeker

Postby mat » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:46 pm

Agreed, 3pm is a tough time, especially at the moment with all the sports (Rugby, F1 etc..) going on. Needs to be 8pm on a Sunday or Monday i reckon.

Also, tried to log on a couple of times this weekend. Site down.
mat
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby chamaflauge » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:24 pm

playing a game tonight on sunday give me a call for details 18601731951
chamaflauge
Ranter
Ranter

Postby chamaflauge » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:27 pm

playing a game tonight on sunday give me a call for details 18601731951
chamaflauge
Ranter
Ranter

Postby moe_chito » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:55 pm

so where, when, whith whom can I play poker? =) please contact me!
moe_chito

Postby leodeng27 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:43 pm

just moved to shanghai for work and enjoying playing no limit texas hold'em. i didn't read through the whole thread but would like to know of any weekly games going on. email me at leodeng27@gmail.com thanks
leodeng27

Postby mat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Played a bit of poker in Macau a couple of weeks ago.

4 venues have tables.

Wynns. - By far the most professional. Good dealers, but after 2pm the waiting list can get quite long. They don't open new tables until about 12 on the wait list. The players were a mix of maybe 50% Mainland Chinese, 30% ABC's and 20% whiteguys. The amateur Chinese dont really play here, so it's a pretty good standard of game.

Starworld - very few tables open. Small waitlist. Probably more ABC's at this venue, but they really all know each other. I suspect a lot of collusion between them goes on here, so i didn't play there long.

Lisboa - BIG space, lots of tables. Small waiting list, and they did seem to open new tables whenever they had 6 to 8 on the waitlist. Although i was winning quite a lot here on the 10/25 table, i had to leave. I could not stand the nearly 100% of mainland Chinese that play here. Rich, spoilt little arseholes with no idea how to play, but think they can. Loud and obnoxious little twats. throwing and bending the cards and just stuffing up the games by raising every hand to 300 on a 25 high blind pre flop! With a reasonable size bank, EASY to win here, but take an ipod, they are noisy bastards.

Venetian - you would think this to be the best but was infact the worst. 70% mainland chinese, although on my table EVERYONE else was mainlander. HOPELESS. of the 9 on my table, one was asleep and had to be woken up everytime it was his turn to bet, then he'd raise the 25 high blind to 300 without fail preflop. 3 guys were turned away talking to each other, looking at stuff on their phones and had to be told to bet everytime again. Another guys phone was ringing non-stop and the others were these rich kids with no idea. I was cleaning up on this table but had to leave as i just couldn't stand it taking 12 minutes to play each hand.

Anyway, if you are half decent and patient, it's easy to win a few thousand rmb on the 10/25 blind games at these venues. Just be careful of groups of ABC's collaborating at the table. Maximum buyin on those tables is 4000rmb. I suggest going between 3000 and 4000 otherwise you will be short stack. These mainland guys are hopeless against a big stack, as they just try and buy their way into every hand, regardless of how crap their cards are. Guys were raising to 300 or calling at 300 preflop with 2/7 off just to see the flop or buy the blinds!!!
mat
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby Bshaw » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:52 pm

mat wrote:Played a bit of poker in Macau a couple of weeks ago.

4 venues have tables.

Wynns. - By far the most professional. Good dealers, but after 2pm the waiting list can get quite long. They don't open new tables until about 12 on the wait list. The players were a mix of maybe 50% Mainland Chinese, 30% ABC's and 20% whiteguys. The amateur Chinese dont really play here, so it's a pretty good standard of game.

Starworld - very few tables open. Small waitlist. Probably more ABC's at this venue, but they really all know each other. I suspect a lot of collusion between them goes on here, so i didn't play there long.

Lisboa - BIG space, lots of tables. Small waiting list, and they did seem to open new tables whenever they had 6 to 8 on the waitlist. Although i was winning quite a lot here on the 10/25 table, i had to leave. I could not stand the nearly 100% of mainland Chinese that play here. Rich, spoilt little arseholes with no idea how to play, but think they can. Loud and obnoxious little twats. throwing and bending the cards and just stuffing up the games by raising every hand to 300 on a 25 high blind pre flop! With a reasonable size bank, EASY to win here, but take an ipod, they are noisy bastards.

Venetian - you would think this to be the best but was infact the worst. 70% mainland chinese, although on my table EVERYONE else was mainlander. HOPELESS. of the 9 on my table, one was asleep and had to be woken up everytime it was his turn to bet, then he'd raise the 25 high blind to 300 without fail preflop. 3 guys were turned away talking to each other, looking at stuff on their phones and had to be told to bet everytime again. Another guys phone was ringing non-stop and the others were these rich kids with no idea. I was cleaning up on this table but had to leave as i just couldn't stand it taking 12 minutes to play each hand.

Anyway, if you are half decent and patient, it's easy to win a few thousand rmb on the 10/25 blind games at these venues. Just be careful of groups of ABC's collaborating at the table. Maximum buyin on those tables is 4000rmb. I suggest going between 3000 and 4000 otherwise you will be short stack. These mainland guys are hopeless against a big stack, as they just try and buy their way into every hand, regardless of how crap their cards are. Guys were raising to 300 or calling at 300 preflop with 2/7 off just to see the flop or buy the blinds!!!

Totally agree with everything said. I love how the Lisboa has that "practice table" just outside the rail so the mainlanders can learn, buy in 4000HKD and dump it in th first 8 hands. Amazing. A lot of the white guys you see at Wynn actually play there full time and play at a level pretty close to pro. Did you play any of the tourney's at Lisboa? APPT is starting soon...
Bshaw
Ranter
Ranter

Postby mat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Played a small knockout at Lisboa. APPT this weekend i think.

Yes, at Wynn's there's a lot of guys who'd normally be English teachers, just playing fulltime. Not a bad gig. VERY easy to win 2000 or 3000rmb a day if you are sensible and have patience. I think it's easier to win at Lisboa or Venetian, but you need to shut your brain off from the bullfeces going on around you, and also start with a decent size pot to scare off those mainlanders.
mat
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby Bshaw » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:50 pm

mat wrote:Played a small knockout at Lisboa. APPT this weekend i think.

Yes, at Wynn's there's a lot of guys who'd normally be English teachers, just playing fulltime. Not a bad gig. VERY easy to win 2000 or 3000rmb a day if you are sensible and have patience. I think it's easier to win at Lisboa or Venetian, but you need to shut your brain off from the bullfeces going on around you, and also start with a decent size pot to scare off those mainlanders.

Yeah, I usually make the most at Lisboa, but they started a PLO game at Wynn a little while ago. Bit higher stakes, but you don't get the mainlanders playing. I find some of the white guys down there super aggressive as well, but they play a lot better than the locals.

Yeah, I think the satellites for APPT started a few days ago. It would be nice to get into the 30k main event on a 200HKD sat... 6-million HKD guarentee this year - sick.
Bshaw
Ranter
Ranter

Postby mat » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:49 pm

The best part about the Lisboa room was the no smoking at the table policy. They were very strict on that which is great. The other venues don't really give a stuff.
mat
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby Yokozoona » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi all,

Feel like playing some low-stake poker (100 or 200 rmb buy-ins)! :)

Is there any friendly game going on at the moment?

Please contact me

See you at the tables!
Yokozoona

PreviousNext

Return to Shanghai Lifestyle