Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  Receive our weekly newsletter.   I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Good English Speaking piano teacher?

Hey moms and dads, this forum will help you with know about dealing with family issues

Good English Speaking piano teacher?

Postby Mah » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:49 pm

I'm eager to find a piano teacher that values "musical interest" as much as all the other learning piano 'requisites'.

Any to recommend? I've been thus far disappointed with the local teaching method.

Also, any music groups in pudong that you've had good experiences with.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Mah

Postby Adrienne » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:09 am

If you don't have any luck on this message board, I'd be inclined to write up a notice "Piano Teacher Wanted" and go to the international schools in Pudong and ask if you could put up the notice on their notice board. I am sure there must be some parents/teachers who can teach piano.

Another place to visit is the Shangahi Music Conservatory in Feng Yang Rd off Huai Hai Rd. Try to meet some young students there and ask if any of their piano teachers are foreigners. I think it is always best to go personally to these places and ask around. Take your notice with you too.

I know how different the local way of teaching here is and it can be quite uninspiring at times. It really depends on the teacher though. I've found that some of the younger local ones can be quite good.

Good luck with it all!

Adrienne Farrelly
Shanghai Properties - "Expat Agents speak your language"
Mbl: +86 13122810421
manager@shanghaiprops.com
http://www.shanghaiprops.com
http://adriennefarrelly.tumblr.com/
Last edited by Adrienne on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adrienne
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby duoyu_lovelove » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:57 pm

I think my daugter's piano teacher is quite good. She is the piano teacher in the British International School. But she doesn't go to pupils' house. Yeah, we go to her place for lessons.
duoyu_lovelove

Postby mrrat » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:18 pm

I am a piano teacher available to give piano lessons.

I recently received my doctorate in piano from the Eastman School of Music (in Rochester, NY) and am now on the piano faculty of Shanghai Normal University.

I am very experienced in teaching students of all ages and levels and value both encouraging a student's interest in music and disciplined training.

Please contact me at 15301989600 or xi927@yahoo.com
mrrat
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby lingao » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:51 pm

im a freshman of Shanghai Conservatory of Music,i played and teachered not only Erhu and piano,and i think im well-spoken in English.
lingao

Postby Me_Again » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:36 pm

I can play the triangle, willing to give lessons for a fee.
Me_Again
Reacher
Reacher

Postby freefoot » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi, I just landed in Shanghai as a trailing spouse, Yikes! I struggled to find instrumental teachers for my two kids. So, I hear you.

I am a former concert pianist with a Master's degree in piano performance from Yale University, School of Music. I had a very successful piano studio as well as teaching at an international school during my previous posting in Singapore. Some of my students have gone on to major in music in US colleges.
I'll start teaching at some of the international schools in Pudong soon. I will also be teaching at my home in Jinqiao, Pudong. If interested or have further questions, pls. email me at tamikim@aya.yale.edu
Sorry, no Mandarin.. yet:-( Thanks.
freefoot
Lurker
Lurker

Postby littlev80 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:41 pm

I am using this teacher that lives in Puxi, in Qingpu. Her name is Emily and she is yamaha certified piano teacher and has studied music composure as her degree. She has two children so she is not able to go out but could only teach at her home. let me know if you're interested.
littlev80
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby freedelia » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:58 am

My son just had his first lesson with a HK teacher (Karen). He is very young (just turned 4 ) and loves pretending to play the piano on EVERYTHING (like a window sill will be his piano, the table, etc) as well as "playing"the piano every chance he gets to be near a real one. I didn't think he would actually be interested in studying anything about it, but the first lesson went great and he can't wait to go back. Karen is sweet, good with kids (she has a baby) and her books for very young kids are very interesting and colorful. She lives downtown (Huai Hai Lu) so if anyone is interested, PM me and I will ask if it is okay to pass her number to you.
freedelia
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby hunner » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:25 pm

Hello,

I'm currently taking lessons taught by an awesome piano teacher from the Shanghai Conservatory...he speaks very good English...and his wife is also a piano teacher from the Shanghai Conservatory. I used to take classical piano instruction with her but have since been taking Jazz lessons from him. I highly recommend them! They are based out of Puxi but come into Pudong to teach as well...here is their contact information...

C.M.
Ph: 13482262323

V.N.
Ph: 13472854808
hunner

Lessons with an American Teacher with European Style

Postby dbward » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi, my name is Dustin Ward and I graduated from Pepperdine University in Malibu, California, with a degree in Business and a minor in Piano Performance/Teaching. My piano classes included private lessons, chamber music, and pedagogy. I have personally been playing the piano for 15 years now and teaching younger students for 5 of those years.

Currently, I am teaching piano to a few Chinese students here in Shanghai. I would like take on more students for my studio. I love and enjoy teaching kids piano because I know what it is like to take piano and not like it. It was through the love of my last two teachers that I learned to truly understand and love piano. Now, because of them, I continue to practice, study and improve in piano daily. It is my goal to teach my students to love and enjoy piano beginning with the Bastian method, then transitioning into my own Eastern-European method that is patterned after my rich piano heritage.

I was extremely fortunate to be trained by two of the best eastern-style teachers in the US. One being, Dr. Krystoff Brzuza, who's students include world famous pianist Kevin Kennar. Dr. Krystoff’s traces his piano heritage back to Chopin. My other teacher is Edward Francis, who is famous for having many of his students put into conservatories around the world as well as winning many of the World-Class piano competitions.

Mr. Francis & Dr. Brzuz piano heritage can be traced back to Lizst and Chopin. Dr. Brzuza and Mr. Francis both had uniquely different teaching methods, but they still taught the eastern-European method. This is the method I prefer and instruct all my students in. The method focuses on relaxation, preventing stress while playing, and also using the weight of the body to play instead of the strength of the fingers. The Easter-European method has many advantages. The method enhances sound and agility as well as protects the pianist hands from injury as they progress.

All of my lessons will be in English/ universal music language. Traditional Music language is made up of terms from many different European countries, and I teach all new students through those terms. Our lessons will be completely done in English though I may interject Mandarin if necessary. This will help to make sure the student understands music through the traditional languages.

Feel free to contact me by e-mail at dustinbock@gmail.com

Thank you
dbward
Lurker
Lurker

Postby bettyzhou » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:34 pm

hi my teacher is a famous russian musician, he majors in piano and violin he plays inn many big concerts in shanhai, he also taught in the us and he was voted the best music teacher award. he was in boston orchestra befrore.
bettyzhou

Postby tempprint » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:02 am

i came into this thread to offer my services but clearly i am outmatched (see:eastman guy o.o o.o o.o)
tempprint

free english speaking course,online english speaking

Postby manngnth » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:42 pm

free english speaking course provided by http://englishurban.blogspot.com
manngnth

piano teacher contact email address

Postby hyunsookhwang » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:13 pm

I'm looking for a piano teacher. Can you pls send me your piano teacher's email address or contact number?

bettyzhou wrote:hi my teacher is a famous russian musician, he majors in piano and violin he plays inn many big concerts in shanhai, he also taught in the us and he was voted the best music teacher award. he was in boston orchestra befrore.
hyunsookhwang

Postby helen_of_troy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:16 pm

Could I have this teacher's contact details too, if possible?

Thank you!

Helen
helen_of_troy
Reacher
Reacher

Postby zappy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:09 am

Hi Hunner

Your post was dated Dec 2008, just wondering if the 2 piano teachers are still available?

hunner wrote:Hello,

I'm currently taking lessons taught by an awesome piano teacher from the Shanghai Conservatory...he speaks very good English...and his wife is also a piano teacher from the Shanghai Conservatory. I used to take classical piano instruction with her but have since been taking Jazz lessons from him. I highly recommend them! They are based out of Puxi but come into Pudong to teach as well...here is their contact information...

C.M.
Ph: 13482262323

V.N.
Ph: 13472854808
zappy
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Shady_Slim » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:58 pm

Back in HK, when a mate needed music lessons for his kids, one would ask around the Philipino musicians working in the clubs, there were quite a few who were willing to make an extra bob or two, and they play some beautifull music, dont know if anyone tried that here....
An Airline has announced that it will charge US$1.50 to use the toilet on the airplane. A lot of people will find a whole new use for the airsick bag....
Shady_Slim
Raver
Raver

Postby kulturschok » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:32 pm

No one ever posts the price of their lessons. If you a teacher, place state how much you charge!
kulturschok
Reacher
Reacher

Postby fish77 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:05 pm

freedelia wrote:My son just had his first lesson with a HK teacher (Karen). He is very young (just turned 4 ) and loves pretending to play the piano on EVERYTHING (like a window sill will be his piano, the table, etc) as well as "playing"the piano every chance he gets to be near a real one. I didn't think he would actually be interested in studying anything about it, but the first lesson went great and he can't wait to go back. Karen is sweet, good with kids (she has a baby) and her books for very young kids are very interesting and colorful. She lives downtown (Huai Hai Lu) so if anyone is interested, PM me and I will ask if it is okay to pass her number to you.

Is she still in Shanghai now? If so, can I have her number? Thanks.
fish77

American Piano Teacher - 32

Postby Dradle » Fri May 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in Shanghai practicing freelance architecture and teaching piano lessons. I just decided to buy a piano recently and start teaching again. I've studied classical piano since the age of 8, competed in numerous competions at Interlochen Music Academy, and continued playing and teaching throughout my life. I tought three children ages 4-15 for 6 years in Chicago. I also teach adults.

My teaching method is catered to the goals and needs of each student I decided to take on. I will help you develop a proper technique, useful practicing techniques, but most importantly, a deep understanding of the music you're learning to play. My expertise is music from the romantic era, Chopin, Lizst, Brahms, etc. However, I will help you learn whatever music you prefer.

I always teach your first lesson for free. So you have nothing to lose. Bring your kids, or take a lesson yourself, or both! Come find out what you've been missing all these years.

Thanks,

Aaron
Dradle

Re: Good English Speaking piano teacher?

Postby jay__ » Mon May 31, 2010 1:58 am

Hi Aaron, where do you live and how much do you charge?

Im total beginner always had an interest, 21 years old working in Shanghai...

I work as an architectural designer in Hongkou/Yangpu...
jay__
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby mrharmon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:46 am

Call Maria - she has been teaching for 10 years to all levels and age groups and has a Masters degree in Piano Performance. Located in PuDong, fluent in English and Russian.

Her mobile is: 1822-152-5752
mrharmon
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby sandiano » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Our unique way of education has inspired lots of children to learn and grow. We provide a fun, relaxed learning environment where students are encouraged to create, listen, improvise and develop their natural musical abilities. Students take the advantage to build self-confidence through performing at our Music Sharing Party, Annual Student concert and Performance Class, and express their inner creativity through music by story-telling, drawing and singing. We offer Music, Art, and Study Consulting Programs at Sandiano.

Sandiano Music School was founded in 2004 in Taipei, Taiwan. Since then, we have helped numerous students pass the ABRSM Exam, NGPT Audition, and MTAC Exams and gained exceptionally high scores every year. Small recitals are held-bi-monthly as well as year-end performances to help children gain stage performing experiences. We teach beginners through professional players. All programs are taught and consulted by our professional faculties and well experienced consultants. We are dedicated to giving artistic opportunities to all ages and all levels. For more information, visit us @ www.sandianoschool.com
sandiano

Postby erichokh » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:40 am

Hi, I''ll be relocating to Shanghai for a 2 years assignment from Feb 2012 onwards. I'm looking for an English speaking Piano teacher for my 10 years old daughter. Preferably to teach on-site as we'll be relocating our Piano from Singapore to Shanghai next month. We'll be staying at Parkview Serviced Apartment @ Zhongshan Park.

Please pm me name, contact number & fees charging. Many thanks.
erichokh
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby sd1674742 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Hey I'm a pianist who's excellent in English and having piano teaching experience for 4 years. I would love to teach beginner's aged 7-16 young ppl. Please contact me with this number 13916410290 or email wangzhendan@gmail.com
we can meet for discussing Price and schedule.
sd1674742

Postby jace829 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm a Canadian-born native English speaker looking to teach piano at my home in Jing'an (or I can come to you if you live reasonably close). I studied classical piano for about 13 years and I'm now writing songs and performing with bands. Rate is 100RMB/hour. Please email if interested. Thanks!
jace829
Lurker
Lurker

Postby lauisk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:29 pm

jace829 wrote:I'm a Canadian-born native English speaker looking to teach piano at my home in Jing'an (or I can come to you if you live reasonably close). I studied classical piano for about 13 years and I'm now writing songs and performing with bands. Rate is 100RMB/hour. Please email if interested. Thanks!

are you still in shanghai and teaching piano?
how do we get in touch?
thanks
lauisk

Postby YYEET » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:53 pm

American Piano instructor in Pudong, (Jin Qiao Area) accepting students of all ages, beginning to advanced. I can teach you songs/pieces, sight reading, technique, music theory, chords, scales. I have over 10 years in teaching experience and have played piano for more then 20 years. Email to sheltmusic@gmail.com to set up a lesson time or for more information.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
YYEET

Return to Family Life