Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  Receive our weekly newsletter.   I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Why China Won't Conquer The World

Why China Won't Conquer The World

Postby rickettyrabbit » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Looks Like "Edward Travels" has competition . . . or an ally, depending on how he plays it.

The young are incapable, the old are exhausted, and box- ticking bureaucrats make life hell. China, a superpower? First it needs to grow up, says acclaimed author Xue Xinran

Is China going to oust the United States as the world’s superpower? Is China really ready to rule the world? For nearly a decade now, on book tours that have taken me all over the globe, this is the one subject I am always guaranteed to be grilled on.

I can understand why people ask me. My name is Xinran and I was born in Beijing in 1958. I am a British-Chinese broadcaster and author, and have lived in London since 1997, where I initially worked as a cleaner. I have a foot in both cultures, and yet, when my readers ask me whether Western fears that power is shifting inexorably to the East are justified, I struggle to answer them.

China is a sleeping lion, Napoleon once warned. “ Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world.”

Lion up and roaring
Nearly two centuries later, this lion is not only awake, but roaring. Foreign companies in Asia, factories in Africa, and even villages in Italy and streets in France have been snapped up by perspicacious Chinese businessmen. Growth may have slowed in the midst of the world debt crisis, but China remains the world’s low-cost manufacturer and the U. S.’ s biggest creditor, with one Washington think-tank recently making the prediction that the yuan could overtake the dollar as the principal reserve currency within a decade.

On my home turf in London, a string of schools now offer Mandarin lessons to children as young as three. Back in 2008, the Daily Telegraph reported a rush on Mandarin-speaking nannies by “ high-achieving parents” looking to “ invest in their children’s future.” Wherever you look, China’s dominance seems inevitable. But is it?

At least twice a year, I go back to China to update my understanding of my magical, constantly changing home country. As a writer, I try to dig out what’s really going on behind the cities’ monolithic shopping centres, the billboards flashing that day’s FTSE index, as well as visiting the countryside, where life couldn’t be more different.

Much busier than 1997
My most recent trip to China was in September. It began with 10 mad, busy days in Beijing where my husband, as consultant to China Publishing Group, was attending the International Book Fair. I had gone to Nanjing to research my new book on the effects of China’s one-child policy, through the eyes of the first generation.

We then went to Shanghai where we were both giving lectures at Fudan University. Much of our time had been spent on the road, and we were by now desperate for a break from the swarming cars and the crowded streets, all overlooked by the unending skyscrapers lived in by more than 16 million people.

A friend suggested a trip to Suzhou, “ to have a walk and drink tea at some of the ancient tea farms, such as Guhan Village. No cars, no tourists.”

Before I left for Britain in 1997, this pleasant journey used to take me an hour by car. This time it took five hours and after a rushed lunch our driver warned us we would have to leave — “ otherwise you won’t get back to Shanghai for dinner, even by Western standards.”( The Chinese eat dinner a lot earlier.)

As we reached the outskirts of the city and joined a crawling convoy of cars all fighting to get onto the motorway ( the radio that morning had reported that the number of cars in China had recently reached 100 million, second only to the U. S.’ s 285 million), I took the opportunity to talk to our driver. What might he reveal about the state of modern China and where it is headed?

He was a father in his early 30s and had learnt to drive in the army. Many young peasants try very hard to get into the military, seeing it as an opportunity to have a better life than their parents and grandparents, who grew up in rural poverty or moved to the cities to live at the bottom of society as labourers.

And yet, while he was far from being a member of the elite, he was by no means living a simple, pared-down existence: “ Drivers have no chance of making big money like politicians and governors, but we need it as much as everyone does. We all only have one child and we want to give the best to them.

“ My daughter’s kindergarten is not in the top list at all but . . .

Continued at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... world.html
Wabbit
"So many words simply to state what we already knew!"
Foxfyr
rickettyrabbit
Board Legend
Board Legend

Location: Chinese-free zone. No, wait - just looked at the wife.

Re: Why China Won't Conquer The World

Postby snooch » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks for posting, interesting read. I think Parfitt sums up a lot nicely when he asks the question, 'what can this country teach the world?'

Brands seem to punctuate a country's level of innovation. Until I start buying Chinese brands while abroad, I'm not going to bet on any major changes to the world as we know it.
Recovering WeChat addict.
snooch
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby wolfyx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:41 pm

The "country" can not teach you anything. The "people" can teach you many things..
"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
Albert Einstein
wolfyx
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Shinbone » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:33 am

When you put it that way, you're not even here. And yet, there you are.
“I used to think correlation implied causation. Then I took a statistics class. Now I don’t.”
“Sounds like the class helped.”
“Well, maybe.”
Shinbone
Veejay
Veejay

Postby Shinbone » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:38 am

Ooh, does he quote his cab driver? I always love that bit.
“I used to think correlation implied causation. Then I took a statistics class. Now I don’t.”
“Well, maybe.”
Shinbone
Veejay
Veejay

Postby rickettyrabbit » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:48 am

Yibaiwan wrote:
Back in Shanghai, our epic 10-hour journey between Shanghai and Suzhou finally over, my husband, Toby, cried out: I won’t get in the car in China again.

This article we should read from the end, because from there we can see she know nothing at least of today's China. Yesterday, my wifey, as representative of local company accompanied representatives foreign company, from 8.00 to 23.00, made 700 km round trip, visited 2 factory, 1 restorant and (1) sauna and returned.

And this woman wrote she made 40 km trip between from Shanghai to Suzhou for 5 HOURS. -BS.

Unlikely, for sure, but I'm sure it has happened from time to time.
Wabbit
Foxfyr
rickettyrabbit
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby tylerdurden » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:14 am

It's eminently possible. I once spent over three hours in a car to get from Shanghai to Suzhou.

The main delay was a ten-kilometre bank-up behind one of the many toll points. This particular toll point's function was simply to take one toll card from the driver and hand them another one. No fee was charged.

For that little administrative hiccup, the penalty was a 90-minute delay for every single vehicle travelling on the main Shanghai-Suzhou freeway, as well as most likely several hundred thousand tonnes of extra greenhouse gases and fine particulate pollutants.

Well done, China!
In explaining any human shortcoming, the first tool I reach for is Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
- Steven Pinker
tylerdurden
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby KopyKatKiller » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:41 pm

If you ever wonder about China and "ruling the world", the Opium wars are very instructive. From the Chinese perspective, "China is the World." That's why when the British waged war here, they were referred to as "rebels" and "disobedient subjects" by the Celestial Emperor and his court. At the close of the 1st conflict, the Emperor didn't even know where England was, yet he still thought he ruled the world :lol:

As for China today, it is very similar in many, too many, respects to the last decades of the Manchu Empire. They are still an obstinately proud people. The government believes its own BS posing with wide shit-eating grins. And now as it was then, the vast majority of China's inhabitants DO NOT support their government. And it would also be the case today, as it was then, with most Chinese doing all they can to hasten the demise of the regime for their own personal gain. Probably, if conflict were to ever break out, the Chinese would be too busy lying to themselves, collaborating with the enemy, and running away to ever put up a fight. China ruled its world when all it had to do was subjugate the Chinese peoples, but in any encounter with groups beyond their own backwoods yokles, they are a complete failure and always will be. Why? Because Chinese are their own worst enemies.
KalanStar is Sinolicious!
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby tihZ_hO » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:50 am

Gee in the 1980's it was all "Japan is going to rule the world" and Japanese was pushed as a second language in Australian schools...so how is that working out? O_o

Sure the ball is now in China's court but really how long is the rest of the world going to be "ok" with that?

You know who you are
tihZ_hO
Board Deity

Postby custer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:02 pm

KopyKatKiller wrote:If you ever wonder about China and "ruling the world", the Opium wars are very instructive. From the Chinese perspective, "China is the World." That's why when the British waged war here, they were referred to as "rebels" and "disobedient subjects" by the Celestial Emperor and his court. At the close of the 1st conflict, the Emperor didn't even know where England was, yet he still thought he ruled the world :lol:

As for China today, it is very similar in many, too many, respects to the last decades of the Manchu Empire. They are still an obstinately proud people. The government believes its own BS posing with wide shit-eating grins. And now as it was then, the vast majority of China's inhabitants DO NOT support their government. And it would also be the case today, as it was then, with most Chinese doing all they can to hasten the demise of the regime for their own personal gain. Probably, if conflict were to ever break out, the Chinese would be too busy lying to themselves, collaborating with the enemy, and running away to ever put up a fight. China ruled its world when all it had to do was subjugate the Chinese peoples, but in any encounter with groups beyond their own backwoods yokles, they are a complete failure and always will be. Why? Because Chinese are their own worst enemies.

Absolutely spot on. F*cking shower!
Charwaki (Pashtun): Government Official; Tax Gatherer; Policeman; Bandit
custer
Veejay
Veejay

Postby Brun0 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Yep that was a good post by Triple K.

I think Troy was pretty precise in his why china will never rule the world book.

They wont rule shiat because they have absolutely nothing to offer. And by nothing I mean nothing.

Why would anyone follow these yokels?
"when i saw the girl talking for me, i enter the battle, outbursting toward the male laowai:"NO quarrel!" this laowai silenced." - Phalusminimuscn, 2011
Brun0
Veejay
Veejay

Postby caisghost » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Hope that the next colonizer will be better than the previous one?
caisghost
Raver
Raver

Postby rickettyrabbit » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:59 pm

^ "Meet the new boss, the same as the old boss . . . . we won't get fooled again!" 8)
Wabbit
Foxfyr
rickettyrabbit
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby victim » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:23 am

caisghost(USA): -"Hope that the next colonizer will be better than the previous one?" :?

rickettyrabbit(Canada):-"Meet the new boss, the same as the old boss..we won't get fooled again!" 8)

-"Ok". :lol:
victim
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby rickettyrabbit » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Victim (Byelorussia): I think THEY did it . . .
Wabbit
Foxfyr
rickettyrabbit
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby wolfyx » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:49 pm

victim wrote:caisghost(USA): -"Hope that the next colonizer will be better than the previous one?" :?

rickettyrabbit(Canada):-"Meet the new boss, the same as the old boss..we won't get fooled again!" 8)

rickettyrabbit wrote:Victim (Byelorussia): I think THEY did it . . .

Wolfyx (reasonable World Citizen): No "Nation" can "conquer/rule the world" anymore in the nuclear era. Stop living in the past! The days after the "industrial revolution", when the West was so much more technologically advanced then the "others" and it could colonize the world, are behind us.

China will dominate the world economically by its sheer number of inhabitants that even RR acknowledged are not "idiots". With a population 4 time more numerous then the US its only fair that they have at least double the US economy in a couple of decades.

I always get a amazed by the nonsensical idiocy of statements like "X/Y nation will/won't rule/conquer the world!". What century do the guys that write and believe this b.s. live in really?
Albert Einstein
wolfyx
Reacher
Reacher

Postby rickettyrabbit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:56 pm

wolfyx wrote:
China will dominate the world economically by its sheer number of inhabitants that even RR acknowledged are not "idiots".

Lest anyone feel left behind, "EVEN RR said the Chinese are not (all) idiots".

Is that like Rick Sanitarium saying "Obama isn't an idiot"? :lol:

wolfyx wrote:I always get a amazed by the nonsensical idiocy of statements like "X/Y nation will/won't rule/conquer the world!". What century do the guys that write and believe this b.s. live in really?

Ask Troy Parfitt. The title of the thread is a play on the title of his book. I suspect his title a slightly satirical put-down of all the goggling China bulls who have written shallow books and articles about the "Chinese economic miracle" without having a clue about what has driven it.
Wabbit
Foxfyr
rickettyrabbit
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby Shinbone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:41 pm

^ Flying saucers.

“Well, maybe.”
Shinbone
Veejay
Veejay

Postby KopyKatKiller » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 am

wolfyx wrote:
victim wrote:caisghost(USA): -"Hope that the next colonizer will be better than the previous one?" :?

rickettyrabbit wrote:Victim (Byelorussia): I think THEY did it . . .

Wolfyx (reasonable World Citizen): No "Nation" can "conquer/rule the world" anymore in the nuclear era. Stop living in the past! The days after the "industrial revolution", when the West was so much more technologically advanced then the "others" and it could colonize the world, are behind us.

China will dominate the world economically by its sheer number of inhabitants that even RR acknowledged are not "idiots". With a population 4 time more numerous then the US its only fair that they have at least double the US economy in a couple of decades.

I always get a amazed by the nonsensical idiocy of statements like "X/Y nation will/won't rule/conquer the world!". What century do the guys that write and believe this b.s. live in really?
Sure China has 4 times the population of the US, but what does that mean when greater than 90% of them don't have enough food to eat? A consumerist revolution? I think not.

In a couple of decades most of China will be just as poor and backward as it is now and always has been. There's probably more Chinese living without running water or electricity than the entire US population you know. Hell, I can find them living like that just a block away from my gated highrise compound here in China's richest city.

The Rich Chinese Consumers about to rule the economic world. Home Sweet Home.

China can barely rule itself let alone the world. This sad joke of a nation is more likely to descend back into civil war in the next 2 decades than achieve any real power in the international arena.
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby Shinbone » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:54 am

More cautionary research:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/busin ... onomy.html

How do you fool all of the people all of the time? Looks like Punch and Judy have a tough crowd. At least the stage is hermetically sealed and fireproof. The crowd can just punch themselves out.
“Well, maybe.”
Shinbone
Veejay
Veejay

Postby THATCAT » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:32 pm

conquer the world my a*s!

CCP is going down soon and let's pray it won't end up like russia!
THATCAT
Reacher
Reacher

Postby tylerdurden » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm

^ Not soon.

The Soviet Union fell at a time when it had essentially been bankrupted by the arms race and the effort of continuing to prop up a large number of failed satellite states in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. The people were getting poorer by the day.

China has only two satellite states (both of which are resource-rich) and its people - at least, those who are capable of exerting influence - are growing richer by the day.

The Chinese CCP learned from the mistakes of its neighbour. It knows the importance of keeping all the important snouts well and truly in the communal trough.

And they will keep attracting all the best new talent, for the same reason.
In explaining any human shortcoming, the first tool I reach for is Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
- Steven Pinker
tylerdurden
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby wolfyx » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:44 pm

tylerdurden wrote:^ Not soon.

The Soviet Union fell at a time when it had essentially been bankrupted by the arms race and the effort of continuing to prop up a large number of failed satellite states in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. The people were getting poorer by the day.

China has only two satellite states (both of which are resource-rich) and its people - at least, those who are capable of exerting influence - are growing richer by the day.

The Chinese CCP learned from the mistakes of its neighbour. It knows the importance of keeping all the important snouts well and truly in the communal trough.

And they will keep attracting all the best new talent, for the same reason.

This! I couldn’t have said it batter myself. :D
Albert Einstein
wolfyx
Reacher
Reacher

Postby KopyKatKiller » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:28 pm

wolfyx = fan boy for the regime... Congrats!

I think Tyler is looking at the surface. A calm day on the ocean may make it look as if the water is a sheet of glass but below the serenity of the scene, violent currents are raging...

There's an interesting social phenomena in china. Every grievance and every prοtest eventually turns on the government. even during the 2008 Beijing Olympics when the Party allowed the prοtests against the prοtests against China, they eventually had to shut them down as people started to attack and blame the government. The Party maintains a facade of control and harmony but dig a little deeper and impression fades entirely. Few countries in the world have as much social unrest as China, it's just that we don't know about it for the most part. A giant riot erupts just a few kilometers from my home yet 99.99% of the people in my neighborhood never knew it happened. In a free country it would have been national news and front page press. If China reported all the "mass incidents' there wouldn't be any room left in their newspapers and broadcasts to report on anything else. China is a Syria or Egypt in waiting.

Go ask your Chinese friends, not the 50 mao idiots that post online, about their views on the government. You may be surprised to find that no one, rich or poor, young or old, with any knowledge of what goes on in this country, supports the regime. Everyone is silently seething waiting for their time to extract blood and vengeance against those in power. That's why the government is so scared of the populace and attempting to engineer a magical economy that forever improves. One major dip in GDP growth and this country will descend into chaos. Chinese society is like a heroin addict that is calm and lethargic just so long as it gets its next hit of economic development. Take the GDP syringe away and a maniac will awaken and destroy itself.
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby wolfyx » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:33 pm

Another non sens labeled KKK...

So what you are basically saying is that the government is doing all that it possibly can to "to engineer a magical economy that forever improves" in order to provide the "next hit of economic development". Isn't that what a "perfect government" in "perfect world" is supposed to do? So the people hate the government because ... ?

Your link cause - effect is a bit awkward to say at least...
Albert Einstein
wolfyx
Reacher
Reacher

Postby KopyKatKiller » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:18 am

wolfyx wrote:Another non sens labeled KKK...

So what you are basically saying is that the government is doing all that it possibly can to "to engineer a magical economy that forever improves" in order to provide the "next hit of economic development". Isn't that what a "perfect government" in "perfect world" is supposed to do? So the people hate the government because ... ?

Your link cause - effect is a bit awkward to say at least...
I suppose you can say that, but then that would make the CCP and their hostage government perfect and the world perfect as well now wouldn't it?

The people hate the government because those in power with connections get theirs while the majority of the people live as poor as dogs. Do a little research and get a little bit more educated will ya. The problems of Late Qing (Manchu) China and of the first republic are rife in the PRC today. Holders of illegitimate power suppressing the people and raping the country while the income/quality of life gap between the haves and the have-nots grows like Moses parting the Red Sea. The income disparity in China has been a concern for rebellion for the shaky regime since 1994. Now just waiting for the next Taiping Rebels to show up on the scene. waiting for the sea's walls to come crashing together. All the seeds of destruction have been firmly planted. There are more reasons for China to fail than to exceed and they are growing every day. The crop of future destruction has had a good spring and summer and the fall is growing near. What a harvest this land will reap, what a harvest indeed...

Here's a story you may not be aware of. Here's just one of the reasons why:
http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/stories/ ... icial.html
And here's my commentary:
http://www.sweetshanghai.com/blogs/89/1 ... ese-societ
Last edited by KopyKatKiller on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby Edward Travels » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:21 am

rickettyrabbit wrote:wolfyx wrote:

Ask Troy Parfitt. The title of the thread is a play on the title of his book. I suspect his title a slightly satirical put-down of all the goggling China bulls who have written shallow books and articles about the "Chinese economic miracle" without having a clue about what has driven it.

I was going to call my book Nonsensical Idiocy, but didn't feel it had the required ring/wouldn't pop easily on Tubular Inter-web searches. The title, Why China Will Never Rule the World, is indeed a jab at China books with lofty, dramatic, and apocolyptic names - at least in part.

I'm waiting for Jakarta to open up and sign away its territory to foreign industrialists in a crazed branch-plant economy dream and then use its cash to beef up state security, oppress its citizenry, and taunt its neighbours so I can write my follow-up:

When Indonesia Rules the World

You heard it here first.
Edward Travels
Talker
Talker

Postby KopyKatKiller » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:24 am

^^Hey Ed, you read that new Opium War book, very good. I am now reading Heaven Cracks, Earth Shakes, also very good. Still trying to find a copy of your book though....
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby THATCAT » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:04 am

wow KKK, for the first time, I feel like you are talking in senses! :88:

I couldn't say that myself due to language barrier(too much work for me)
THATCAT
Reacher
Reacher

Postby rickettyrabbit » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:46 am

THATCAT wrote:wow KKK, for the first time, I feel like you are talking in senses! :88:

Sandpaper can wear down almost anything if applied for long enough. 8)
Wabbit
Foxfyr
rickettyrabbit
Board Legend
Board Legend

Next

Return to Shanghai Open Chat