Pre-School / Kindergarten

Hey moms and dads, this forum will help you with know about dealing with family issues

Pre-School / Kindergarten

Postby iniok » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:52 pm

Hi!
We're considering moving to Shanghai next year (my husband's been offered a position there), and would probably be staying there for 4 years.
We live in Germany now, our kids (3 1/2 and 15 months) speak English and German fluently (well, the baby doesn't really speak anything!). Our older son is attending a wonderful pre-school here (a Waldkindergarten with Montessori influences).
Any recommendations for pre-schools? I know there are a few international schools in Shanghai. How about the "local" schools?
I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment and would appreciate any responses....
iniok

Postby Portsmouth » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:33 am

A few things you probably want to consider: money + location + language. Without knowing those attributes, it is difficult for people to give your recommendations. However, here is our experience. International kindergartens are more expensive, more than USD1000 per month. Local kindergartens are about RMB1700 ~ 2400 per month for non-Chinese citizen. We picked a local private bilingual pre-school, "Kid Castle/Xu Jia Hui Kindergarten" in Luwan district (Pu Xi) for our 3.5 old daughter because
- international pre-school is too expensive
- international ones only speak English and we want her to continue to be bilingual (she speaks fluent Chinese and English)
- Kid Castle is only 2.5 km from where we live and it has school bus picking her up from our front door everyday

If you are in Luwan district (Pu Xi), want a local pre-school, and want your kid to learn Chinese, I would recommend Kid Castle. However, Kid Castle still only teaches "school English" so you need to do something at home to keep their English and German up.
Portsmouth
Talker
Talker

Postby RachaelLau » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:35 pm

If you want some Chinese influence, my daughter study in 3&3 Bilingual School. You can choose Chinese or English stram. Very good curriculum and affordable. They have various location. The one that she is studying in is in Wu Zhong Road. Near Hong Mei Road.
RachaelLau
Barker
Barker

Postby Adrienne » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:14 pm

I had a client recently from Germany who visited all the pre-schools in the Hong Qiao area which is the most established expat area for families here. It took her a week to visit all the places within the area and gave her a chance to get a good feel for them and be able to speak with the director. I think that it was the best way to go about it as it is such an individual and personal choic

Adrienne Farrelly
Shanghai Properties - "Expat Agents speak your language"
Mbl: +86 13122810421
manager@shanghaiprops.com
http://www.shanghaiprops.com
http://adriennefarrelly.tumblr.com/
Last edited by Adrienne on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrienne
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Tired

Postby sh-au-gigi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:11 pm

I visited the preschool in Shanghai German Center is very nice. I am considering send my two sons to there. I can go with you if you like. I want to visit it again.
sh-au-gigi

Postby Vision Park » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:36 pm

It is very important that you also consider the location where your family will be staying, becasue you don't want your kids to travel a long way just to get to school in the morning, the traffic in Shanghai can get pretty nasty at times.
We are a newly established kindergarten at the Min Hang/Songjiang area, if that is where your husband will be working at. just off the exit of Xin Qiao A8 hightway. We offer both English and Chinese curriculum, and also the Montessori program, and we have kids from countries like German, France, USA, China, Taiwan. We are a very small and unique school that is differnt from most of the big international kindergarten. If this is the area where you and your husband will be living and working....come and visit us !! :P

Ming www.vplearning.com
Vision Park

Postby rucksack » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:27 pm

3-1/2 might (depends on the child) be a little too old for a local local school, but the 15 month old will have no problem going in at 2 (if you want). My son was 2 when we moved here and he started in local kindergarten at half-day. He didn't speak at all until he was 2-1/2 and didn't speak Chinese until he was 3-1/2. He's never had any problems and loves to go to school. My youngest is now 2 and he's been talking a lot for a few months in both languages. Of course we have an ayi who takes care of him during the day so he has a dual language environment.
We hope he also enjoys kindergarten when he starts in September.
rucksack
Reacher
Reacher

Postby gutsy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:49 pm

i want to start my 21month old son in pre-school. he hasnt been in a group earlier - what can i expect?
the school is just downstairs my flat, bilingual - run by a couple who are loving and very children friendly.
i am just starting with 2 hours in the beginning..hope to hear some experiences - what to expect- good or bad
gutsy
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby motherintown » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:55 pm

Hello all,

can I have a name of Local kindergarten where you bring your sons in?

Thanks,
motherintown
Seeker
Seeker

Return to Family Life