Raid plug ins .. is it deet free??

Raid plug ins .. is it deet free??

Postby nay2sh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi as the mosquito season comes to full tilt, i have been deciding whether or not to purchase the plug in things.
I am only considering RAID as its the brand im familiar with. however all their products are in chinese and i dont know how to read them. I opted for the blue mats with green stripes. I looked at the oil things but they have a 0.31% thing written on them so i did not want to buy this as i dont know what that 0.31% refers to.
The question is are these plug in things deet free? I have one on now in my living room.
Thanks.
nay2sh
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Raid plug ins .. is it deet free??

Postby CJV » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:04 pm

I have used many plug-in mosquito repellents when I was living in Greece, both liquid and mat types. I never noticed deet in any of them, as deet is only really found in liquid sprays. I've tried almost every brand (Raid, Baygon/Bayer, etc), and they all seem to work. The only difference between them is the smell; some are more intense than others. It's good to have some air flow in the room. Keep in mind that these don't really repel mosquitoes, all they do is make them not want to bite. I found that mosquitoes were attracted to my room, put off by the smell of the repellent, then hide in the bathroom. So every morning I would wake up and get bitten when I went in there.
CJV
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Medea » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:30 pm

CJV wrote: I found that mosquitoes were attracted to my room, put off by the smell of the repellent, then hide in the bathroom. So every morning I would wake up and get bitten when I went in there.

That's why I put Raid plug ins in the bathrooms at night. Seems to work. Fifth floor and no mosquitoes in the shower so far
I support Jaiya's Animal Rescue (JAR) Next JAR Animal Adoption Day is on Sunday, January 5
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby nay2sh » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:04 am

Thanks. I have one mat plug-in in the first floor of the house as the ayi always has the door open, which i quite like. In our and my kids rooms i have the patches that last 72hours and seems to be working well. I do notice that when i do go outside or near the door that's where they are hiding.
Also i unplug it at night, we have had lots of media reports as to the safetiness of leaving plug in things like that back home (i.e. glade plug-in room fresheners causing electrical fires at homes) so with the great electrical job we have seen at our house now, we thought it is safer if unplugged at night and we just use it during the day.
I would like to get the oil/liquid plug in things, but still dont know what that 0.31% refers to. Could someone please tell me?
nay2sh
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Medea » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:35 am

Hi,
why don't you take a pic and post it here? Then someone could translate it :)

I have one plug in with liquid and there is 300mg Transfluthrin 四氟苯菊酯 (sìfúběnjúzhǐ) in it.

[...]Transfluthrin can be used in the indoor environment against flies, mosquitoes and cockroaches. It is a relatively volatile substance and acts as a contact and inhalation agent. [...] Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfluthrin

The green plates I use have 50mg Allethrin 右旋烯丙菊酯 (yòuxuánxībǐngjúzhǐ) each plate.

[...]The compounds have low toxicity for humans and birds, and are used in many household insecticides such as RAID as well as mosquito coils. Insects subject to its exposure become paralyzed (nervous system effect) before dying.
They are also used as an ultra-low volume spray for outdoor mosquito control.[...] Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allethrin

This Johnson&Johnson baby mosquito repellent has 11,5 % DEET 驱蚊酯 / 驱蚊露

And when I think about it. Back home I bought a solution with permethrin to treat our mosquito net. (So fighting against mosquitoes means a lot of -thrin :| )
Last edited by Medea on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I support Jaiya's Animal Rescue (JAR) Next JAR Animal Adoption Day is on Sunday, January 5
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Medea » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:49 am

I took photos of the plug-ins I'm using :)
Attachments
raid2.jpg
Raid plug-in with Transfluthrin
raid1.jpg
Raid plug-in with Allethrin
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Medea » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:59 am

pics2
Attachments
raid4.jpg
50mg Allethrin
raid3.jpg
300mg Transfluthrin
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby nay2sh » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Medea Thank you for your detailed response. I am currently using the one with Allethrin (the mats). Now you have got me thinking if its safe to use around my boys 1 yr and 3 yrs old. I have looked online (the most trusted source of information..the web) and most of the information i get is for the outdoor lamps.
nay2sh
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Andreas » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:25 am

You won't find DEET in plug ins, because DEET does not evaporate. DEET works if applied to the skin, not in evaporating type of repellants
‘How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.’
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas

Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Happy

Postby SnappySammy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:09 am

The Raid and All Plug ins have been deemed "the cause" of many fires in USA....Most Fireman will not use them.....I'd be really afraid to use them in China
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.....
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby Medea » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:50 am

nay2sh wrote:Medea Thank you for your detailed response. I am currently using the one with Allethrin (the mats). Now you have got me thinking if its safe to use around my boys 1 yr and 3 yrs old. I have looked online (the most trusted source of information..the web) and most of the information i get is for the outdoor lamps.

I don't know if it's safe to use around children :? or even adults.... I think if I would be pregnant I definetely wouldn't use any of this stuff.

Did u see the long thread about mosquitoes in the health section? Maybe you can find some advises for children? mosquitos-repellants-treatments-t25052.html

If you have a mosquitoe problem in your flat you should definetely buy mosquitoe nets for every bed and also get one or two of these mosquitoe rackets. (Or even adopt a cat , our cat is a walking mosquitoe killer :mrgreen: ) Or did u try these mosquito bracelets which you can get in every supermarket? (have no idea what's inside though.

Normally, I would never ever use plug-ins or even lotion containing deet. However, Chinese mosquitoes seem to love me and it's not nice to have something like 40 infected bites on every leg :cry::

SnappySammy wrote:The Raid and All Plug ins have been deemed "the cause" of many fires in USA....Most Fireman will not use them.....I'd be really afraid to use them in China

Oh really? mmh :| may be I should buy a smoke detector for our bedroom...
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby nay2sh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:52 pm

SnappySammy wrote:The Raid and All Plug ins have been deemed "the cause" of many fires in USA....Most Fireman will not use them.....I'd be really afraid to use them in China

I was afraid of using them as well that's why we use it only when we are home and unplug it before going to bed and use the patches in the rooms (which work really well).

I decided not to use them anymore at this point ... would keep them in a drawer though when the skeeters get too much at least i have them on hand. Like i posted previously i only used it on the first level and the air circulation there is good, i.e. windows open and door ... i will have to ask the landlord to install mozzie nets on the doors as well.

Medea - we had a cat back home but gave him away, although there are always 2-3 cats hanging around my house and one or two frogs to boot, so hopefully one of them could help contain the mosquito population around my house.
nay2sh
Lurker
Lurker

Postby CJV » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:24 pm

Just bought a Raid liquid plugin. Didn't check out what's in it, but it came with a nice little stand so it's not hanging from the socket. It does not have an odor, which is a very nice plus. I have not been bitten at night while it was turned on so far, so it seems to work well.
CJV
Lurker
Lurker

Postby nay2sh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:13 pm

I think i know what you are talking about CJV is it the blue one that looks like a tent? I was looking at those (those were the ones i was going to buy until i saw some percentage thingy in the front of the refills, that's what i was trying to figure out what it says before the percentage number)
nay2sh
Lurker
Lurker

Postby SnappySammy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:38 am

nay2sh wrote:

I was afraid of using them as well that's why we use it only when we are home and unplug it before going to bed and use the patches in the rooms (which work really well).

I decided not to use them anymore at this point ... would keep them in a drawer though when the skeeters get too much at least i have them on hand. Like i posted previously i only used it on the first level and the air circulation there is good, i.e. windows open and door ... i will have to ask the landlord to install mozzie nets on the doors as well.

Medea - we had a cat back home but gave him away, although there are always 2-3 cats hanging around my house and one or two frogs to boot, so hopefully one of them could help contain the mosquito population around my house.

My daughter had a major fire in her home..that was traced back to her Plug In..In her bathroom...The Insurance company told her they get a lot of electrical fires caused by them..
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.....
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby Medea » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi all,
was at Carrefour today and had a look at your xxxx % Raid plug-ins . It says 四氟甲醚菊酯 (sì fú jiǎ mí jú zhǐ) before the % which means Dimefluthrin

Didn't find much on it, but for sure another insecticide:
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/c/chemica ... /intro.htm
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Medea » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:46 pm

nay2sh wrote:

Oh you have frogs? That's nice. The one's in my compound look like huge toads. Quite ugly and scary - do toads eat mosquitoes ?

Sorry about your cat. I think ours only chases mosquitoes because there is nothing else to chase :lol: toy mice are soooo boring :wink:
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby tihZ_hO » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:23 pm

This is because many Americans are not the brightest bulb on the xmas tree leading to these incredible product cautions and instructions:

Sears hair dryer:
Do not use while sleeping

On a bar of Dial soap:
Directions: Use like regular soap.

On some Swanson frozen dinners:
Serving suggestions: Defrost.

On Nytol Sleep Aid:
Warning: May cause drowsiness.

On an American Airlines packet of nuts:
Instructions: open packet, eat nuts.

On a child's Superman costume:
Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.

Microwave oven manual:
Do not use for drying pets.

On a ketchup bottle:
Instructions: Put on food.

Sign on newly-renovated ramp entrance, USA:
Take care: new non-slip surface.

On a packet of cashew nut pieces:
Warning: This product may contain residue of nuts.

On a TV remote:
Not Dishwasher safe.

On a blowtorch:
Not used for drying hair.

On a toaster:
Do not use underwater.

On a push along lawn mower:
Not to be used as a hedge trimmer.

I can only imagine how these Raid Plug ins have been (ab)used in the US. Maybe they need a caution such as

On a Raid Mosquito Plug in:
Not to be used under the blanket
Do not use on a stove
Do not add kerosene to the product

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

Mood: Cool

Postby Medea » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:01 pm

tihZ_hO wrote:

On Nytol Sleep Aid:

Are you serious? Did you actually see these instructions?! :shock:
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby tihZ_hO » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:31 pm

prEttyNDistress wrote:you nailed it tihz_ho!!! :lol:

if they are the brightest people on earth, why do they need sooooooooo much 1-800 call center agent....but hey, ain't complaining here...without them, India and Philippines wouldn't depend part of their economy on BPOs....:lol:

Thinking about it, Americans are not any more stupid than anyone else the difference is lawyers, America is overrun with them and unfortunately there are no effective means of eradication.

Caught DUI? Have a positive blood alcohol test in excess of the law? Check out this right arsehole

Note the Japanese page - Karaoke can be a bitch when you have to drive!!

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

Postby tihZ_hO » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Medea wrote:
tihZ_hO wrote:

On Nytol Sleep Aid:

Are you serious? Did you actually see these instructions?! :shock:

Not all of them but when I travel to the states I seem to be the only one having a laugh in the isle. Hot coffee has a label "Caution contains hot liquid", that's a news flash!! As I just pointed out its all the friggen lawyers the US has. The place is overrun with lawyers to the point where I think Americans got this idea nothing is their fault. Watch some American daytime TV if you don't believe me.

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

Postby bossytoe » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:24 pm

Hilarious product cautions and instructions! Thanks for the laugh.

This is all helpful information, I was worried about the safety of the plug-in mosquito repellents too, and now with the added danger of fire safety....I guess I'll have to nix that idea.

I suppose those mosquito/bug machines that attract the mosquitoes and then zap them are equally dangerous huh? I've been losing sleep at night bc these sneaky mosquitoes wait until 5am before they start attacking me! I'm resisting getting a mosquito net, but maybe that IS the best solution...
bossytoe
Lurker
Lurker

Return to Shanghai Open Chat