Salary Range for an executive level expat in Shanghai

All you need to know about moving to or around Shanghai! Find out if Puxi(West of the Huangpu River) or Pudong(East of the river) work for you

Salary Range for an executive level expat in Shanghai

Postby taichi666 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi all,

I am currently residing in Dubai UAE. I got an offer to move to Shanghai as an executive of an international engineering company. I am intrigued and seriously considering. Before deciding, I want get an idea of the salary range in Shanghai in order to start my negotiation with the company. They are offering me a taxable monthly salary + a reimbursable expense allowance. I will be relocating with my wife and my 2 year old daughter. So I need to take school tuition into consideration.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
taichi666

Re: Salary Range for an executive level expat in Shanghai

Postby wizard » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:22 pm

Salary depends on the company and the employee, and could be very different. I have one customer. His company will pay more than 30,000RMB on his housing per month. Some executives could also be paid lower.

You daughter is too young to go to kindergarden and you can hire one babysitter. Chinese school ask tuition twice per year. If you put her in school the tuition could range from 5,000 to more than 10,000 per month depending on school.

I'm helping people relocate to this charming city.
wizard

Postby monalisalee » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 am

wizard: What are your credentials? You joined, 8 th August, 2012, so fresh off the boat, and just 4 posts. AND you are "helping people". Love it! No money involved, right? So what is your mandate?
By the way, it is "kindergarten".
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby p1atl10 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:06 am

^ Real Estate Agent is my guess....as he has a client with a 30,000 rmb /month budget.

OP....Your question is not one we can answer.

Salary for an Executive in an Engineering Company?
I know some who make upwards of 200,000USD per year. Others who make 75 or less.

My thought would be that you should make what you make now....plus a relo package that includes a COLA, Healthcare, Home leaves, Housing assistance, and School Assistance. At a minimum....
Throw in a car and driver as an extra...
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.....Dave Barry
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby rickettyrabbit » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:38 am

monalisalee wrote:By the way, it is "kindergarten".

What, you mean I've been paying extra to have them potted, fertilized and watered, and it's all a scam???

I've been wronged!!!! I demand a refund!
Wabbit
There's always some poor sucker who buys at the top and sells at the bottom. Don't let it be you.
rickettyrabbit

rickettyrabbit

Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Cool
Location: Chinese-free zone. No, wait - just looked at the wife.

Postby The Breaker » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:56 am

The Chinese treat their Kinder like mushrooms - keep them in the dark and feed them BS.
Rule .303
The Breaker
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Juan_Tamad » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:44 am

p1atl10 wrote:^ Real Estate Agent is my guess....as he has a client with a 30,000 rmb /month budget.

OP....Your question is not one we can answer.

Salary for an Executive in an Engineering Company?
I know some who make upwards of 200,000USD per year. Others who make 75 or less.

My thought would be that you should make what you make now....plus a relo package that includes a COLA, Healthcare, Home leaves, Housing assistance, and School Assistance. At a minimum....

You forgot the AYI
RULES TO REMEMBER IN LIFE:
1. Money can't buy happiness but it’s more comfortable to cry in a BMW than on a bicycle.
2. Many people are alive only because it’s illegal to shoot them.
3. Alcohol does not solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk
Juan_Tamad
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby Marsian007 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:09 pm

As an “executive” to be you don’t have any better ideas than asking in this forum about your potential income!? I think you better stay where you are.
Well I'm not a fool. And I'm not capable of being fooled! Not even by a woman.
Marsian007
Talker
Talker

Postby tylerdurden » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Marsian007 wrote:As an “executive” to be you don’t have any better ideas than asking in this forum about your potential income!? I think you better stay where you are.

What makes you think he didn't make other enquiries as well?

He might have posted here just to wait for your response, so that he knows what not to believe.
"yea shanghai is a sh*thole but a massive sprawling epic clusterf*ck of a sh*thole that is fun while it lasts.." (ultimatekrang)
tylerdurden

Ground Zero

Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Mood: Happy

Postby justinbirm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Marsian007 wrote:As an “executive” to be you don’t have any better ideas than asking in this forum about your potential income!? I think you better stay where you are.

whats the point of any forum if you cant ask questions?
justinbirm
Rocker
Rocker

Postby taichi666 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:49 pm

thanks for all your BS!
@Justinbirm, exactly, whats the pt!
taichi666

Postby tylerdurden » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:54 pm

p1atl10 wrote:My thought would be that you should make what you make now....plus a relo package that includes a COLA, Healthcare, Home leaves, Housing assistance, and School Assistance. At a minimum....

^ This.

Plus you might want to add a "relocation sweetener" of some sort.

Plus, if the new job is more senior and/or involves a higher level of responsibility, you should factor that in too.

Good luck!
"yea shanghai is a sh*thole but a massive sprawling epic clusterf*ck of a sh*thole that is fun while it lasts.." (ultimatekrang)
tylerdurden

Ground Zero

Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby Marsian007 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:13 pm

tylerdurden wrote:
p1atl10 wrote:My thought would be that you should make what you make now....plus a relo package that includes a COLA, Healthcare, Home leaves, Housing assistance, and School Assistance. At a minimum....

^ This.

Plus, if the new job is more senior and/or involves a higher level of responsibility, you should factor that in too.

Good luck!

Wow!! Great advice! And so detailed and specific. I am sure, now he knows how much money and additional benefits he can ask for. You are an outstanding expert in this field. Next time I will also ask you for advice! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!

Well I'm not a fool. And I'm not capable of being fooled! Not even by a woman.
Marsian007
Talker
Talker

Postby tylerdurden » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:55 pm

You're welcome.
tylerdurden

Ground Zero

Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby p1atl10 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Marsian007 wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

^ This.

Good luck!

Wow!! Great advice! And so detailed and specific. I am sure, now he knows how much money and additional benefits he can ask for. You are an outstanding expert in this field. Next time I will also ask you for advice! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!

hmmm....At least we tried to answer his questions.

Your contribution to this thread? :shock:
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.....Dave Barry
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Return to Relocation & Moving