Samsonite vs American Tourister Luggage

Anything travel related in and out of China

Samsonite vs American Tourister Luggage

Postby highlander » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Anyone used American Tourister Luggage (owned by also by Samsonite) before? It is supposedly lower end brand but not sure if just in marketing/branding or just in quality. How does it compare quality wise with the parent Samsonite Brand? I am purchasing it after I go back to the US in a few months. Both has 10 year warranty. Of the luggage sets I am looking at:

Samsonite Positives:
Better Brand Name

American Tourister Positives:
Less Expensive 20%
Lighter Weight
highlander
PopStar
PopStar

Re: Samsonite vs American Tourister Luggage

Postby erin722 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:53 pm

I've had a Samsonite roll-aboard since 2006 which has been to hell and back and is still in pretty good shape.

But this is China... you might just want to get one of those cheap local brands you see all over (i.e.: wal-mart).

Most of the weight comes from the metal tube frame. The lighter the bag, the dinkyer the frame. If you want something really light, it probably will get bent/crushed in no time. So get whatever is cheapest.
erin722
Ranter
Ranter

Postby Chavster » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:40 pm

In my experience AT and Samsonite are of similar quality in most models. The difference is that Samsonite is the flashier brand with better trimmings and more fashion forward designs. AT is a perfectly competent, decent quality brand although a more work-a-day styling. Samsonite has recently tried to bring itself upscale and compete with the luxury brands. So I think their value is slipping relative to the money you pay. Based on what airport baggage systems do your luggage I always recommend a ballistic nylon case with few bells and whistles. A lot of people seem to favor the four-wheel rollers but i find these annyoying. Two decent quality wheels and a study handle and you'll be fine.
" Once, it was I who stood in the big, cold schoolroom, a hot crumpet burning my cheeks with shame. Since that day, I have been busy every hour God sent, working to become Prime Minister and fight sloth and privilege wherever I found it."

- Pitt the Younger
Chavster
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby highlander » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback....I usually hate shopping but after living in China and seeing the high prices of international brands I am excited in starting my long shopping list (sent to my sisters) even though I will not be going back till Sept.

I've had a carry-on Samsonite for about a decade now....worked very well thru traveling around the world. I am also looking at the American Tourister bags through since it is lighter (25" - 8.4 vs 26"-11.4 lbs)then the Samsonite one and knowing that I will be bring a lot of stuff then every pound counts :wink: .

http://www.ebags.com/product/american-t ... rtItemId=5

http://www.ebags.com/product/american-t ... rtItemId=5
highlander
PopStar
PopStar

Postby KopyKatKiller » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:02 pm

American Tourister is far less expensive. I have two bags, each for about 500rmb. Great stuff. I went back to both the Samsonite stores I know of to get a bigger one recently, and they were out of business. The one on West Nanjing Rd. and the one in the Holiday Inn mall near my house. I think the local branches went bankrupt.

PS. Samsonite, if you want to pay $1000's for luggage has lines much lighter than anything from AT or any other brand.
KalanStar is Sinolicious!
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby erin722 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:36 am

opps... sorry... I got the Samsonite in 2003 and another slightly smaller one in 2006.
erin722
Ranter
Ranter

Postby sambista » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:22 am

i used to lean toward samsonite because of design and features, but i've consistently had issues with the zipper tags, which break off, and the telescoping handles, whose locking mechanism wears down. the warranty means nothing to me because the contracted repair stores have no sense of urgency, as if the samsonite tickets go low on the list of priorities. when i was coming to china, i waited as long as month for a handle part, the bag was less than a year old, and samsonite could've solved it by simply sending me a new bag. they refused. i had to buy a cheapo duffel bag from costco because i wasn't sure the repair would be finished in time. the repair shop finished fixing my bag literally a day before i flew to shanghai.

i don't know who "owns" travelpro, but i'd go with those bags if you want longevity. for anything small, like laptop bags/rolling carry-ons/overnighters, look at solo. i don't know who those people are, either, but their bags have been superior (in my experience) and for an unbelievably low price.

if you're in the states and have time for shipping, go to ebags.com. you can't beat their prices, the detailed user reviews are especially helpful and they usually ship quickly; or they'll email you if there will be a delay.
'The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.' - Eden Phillpotts
sambista
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby a_Man » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:11 am

I would recommend Targus and America Tourister, don't know how is the current quality, my last purchase made 2 years ago and I have not bought anything yet in China.
Samsonite were involved or still involved in a recall last month
u can read more here

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... r-handles/

or here

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 75/1/.html
a_Man

work

Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby KopyKatKiller » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:47 am

If you have the money, go with Piquadro, just don't get upset when the airline ruins your bags...
http://www.piquadro.com/dk/shop/travel-items/ There's a shop in the men's bags section at JingAn temple mall. I have one, nicest bag I've ever owned. On sale for 1600rmb down from 3000rmb last spring, but it's just a man bag briefcase.
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby Chavster » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Piquadro is sweet but I would only go carry-on due to the luggage handling. Seriously it's a waste of money to shell out for Rimova and other high end quality only to have xiao zhou run over it with a forklift. But great for cabin baggage.

There is another company I really like called Zuca. I got one of their carry ons. I was tipped to this brand by a flight attendant and never regretted it. Kind of cool looking. You won't see many of them around with other travellers but cabin staff swear by them. The only downside is that you've got to be a good packer as they are fairly rigidly organized.

WWW.ZUCA.COM
" Once, it was I who stood in the big, cold schoolroom, a hot crumpet burning my cheeks with shame. Since that day, I have been busy every hour God sent, working to become Prime Minister and fight sloth and privilege wherever I found it."

- Pitt the Younger
Chavster
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby erin722 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:54 pm

The "new" Samsonite cost about $350 and I only use it for cabin baggage.

That said, the old Samsonite is has probably been run over more than once and still in fairly decent shape. So, quality wise, that says a lot. Some of these "light" bags are just f%ucked up after one or two trips in the belly.
erin722
Ranter
Ranter

Postby KopyKatKiller » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:51 am

They ran over my AT luggage at Hongqiao. Came off the baggage line with a tire track and wet mud on it. F*cken Idiots!
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby a_Man » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:32 am

Try plastic wrap next time, Pudong airport have it, assume Hongqiao offers the same, just a little investment to help those 'football players'.
a_Man

work

Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby GoingMad » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:41 pm

this zuca brand. Is it available in shanghai?
GoingMad
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby highlander » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:25 am

I purchased the Samsonite 5 Piece Nested Luggage Set (on sale @ Amazon) The dimensions of the three biggest bags are

26" Upright (26" x 18" x 10")
22" Upright (22" x 14" x 9")
Travel Duffel (22.5" x 12" x 12")

Anyone know if I am actually able to stuff as much into the duffel bag as I am on the 22" or 26" Upright? From the online picture it does not look like it but by multiplying the dimensions it should carry more then the 22" but less then the 26".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VE ... d_i=507846

Thanks.
Attachments
91lHgffNK0L._SL1500_.jpg
highlander
PopStar
PopStar

Postby Chavster » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:40 pm

a_Man wrote:Try plastic wrap next time, Pudong airport have it, assume Hongqiao offers the same, just a little investment to help those 'football players'.

Plastic wrap isn't for protecting luggage. It's a theft-deterrent technique. It pretty much disappeared from airpots post 911.

- Pitt the Younger
Chavster
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby Bobchina » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Yes, it is easy make it into bomb.
Bobchina
PopStar
PopStar

Postby tylerdurden » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Chavster wrote:
a_Man wrote:Try plastic wrap next time, Pudong airport have it, assume Hongqiao offers the same, just a little investment to help those 'football players'.

Plastic wrap isn't for protecting luggage. It's a theft-deterrent technique. It pretty much disappeared from airpots post 911.

That's interesting, I never realised that. How would it deter theft? I would have thought any half-intelligent thief would work out a way to cut through it in about ten seconds.

And far from having disappeared since 9/11, it seems to be more popular than ever - especially among Asian passengers.
"yea shanghai is a sh*thole but a massive sprawling epic clusterf*ck of a sh*thole that is fun while it lasts.." (ultimatekrang)
tylerdurden

Ground Zero

Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Mood: Happy

Postby a_Man » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:26 am

T1 pudong not far from the Korean flight counter. Looks ugly but if I have to protect against liquid& kicks hazards why not.
This Zuca brand have something to offer against light-fingers, have you seen the Profi selection online :mrgreen:
a_Man

work

Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Samsonite vs American Tourister

Postby vivekit_17 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:33 pm

vivekit_17

Postby runningmom » Thu May 22, 2014 5:55 pm

I have used AT for about ten years now. One set of nine, just bought some new ones last year. Not that they needed replacing; I just got tired of the old ones.
runningmom
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Return to Travel