Shanghai to Hong Kong by TRAIN

Anything travel related in and out of China

Shanghai to Hong Kong by TRAIN

Postby Winnemac » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:08 pm

I am looking into taking the train from Shanghai to Hong Kong in late Nov. Was wondering how other people's experiences were with it? Also, I saw that there was a baggage car, does that mean that they check baggage for this trip. As I'm used to just hauling it onto the train with me.

Thanks for your help.
Winnemac

Postby woaihuan » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:16 pm

They only check it if it's a very large bag and waaay over the limit.

They offer bed cars only and it's not a fast train. I didn't mind it sometimes, and other times I hated it due to some people snoring all night.
woaihuan
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby Swiss-James » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:32 pm

i went and really enjoyed it. Wrote about it here.

Actually the train I took was to Shenzhen, tickets to Hong Kong were sold out. However you can walk from the Shenzhen train station to a station on the Hong Kong metro.
Swiss-James
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby monalisalee » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:36 pm

When I took the train quite a few years ago. it was a 39 hour trip, but about 5 of those hours was going inland in reverse and then back again. To make matters worse my lower bunk was over a squeaky wheel. No sleep. Pure hell.
My wife was in the ticket office today, and says the trip to HK is just 18 hours, so things have improved greatly.
You should have no trouble lugging a large suitcase on the train. Two or three may be a different matter. You can ask.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby jasonnoguchi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:43 pm

39 hours!! Wow! My longest train ride was 12 hours and that made me promise myself never again to take a train :(
jasonnoguchi
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby jonasei » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:53 pm

You mention the price for this trip was 400 rmb. Ctrip has flights to Shenzhen as low as 540. Is there a compelling reason to use the train instead? Does it go through particularly nice scenery or something?
jonasei
Raver
Raver

Postby monalisalee » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:27 pm

No, you are looking at rice fields most of the way. (Seen one, seen them all)

Frankly, consider the flying thing. Cost a tad more, and save a day.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby txaggie07 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Actually, the scenery in Guangdong along the railway is actually worth looking at in my opinion. Beautiful green valleys and small mountains/hills.

The train ride was a little too long. I went, and I highly suggest flying after 18 hours in a train full of Shanghainese old men and ladies.

The cheapest way is to fly to Shenzhen or Guangzhou and take a bus or a train to HK. The bus from the Shenzhen airport is about 2 hrs that I remember, and the GuangZhou to Hong Kong Train is about 2.5 hours.
txaggie07
Raver
Raver

Postby bigroh73 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:12 pm

Flights are obviously faster, more convenient and these days, just a little bit more expensive.
Train travel is for "the experience" - a way to see many parts of China that you wouldn't normally see. I do this only when I have time to kill - don't mind going at a leisurely pace.
My last long-distance trip was 2yrs ago, Chengdu to Shanghai - 40hrs. I prepared myself mentally for the worst, but was actually pleasantly surprised. It wasn't as long and drawn out as I thought it would be. I was travelling by myself, but had my laptop with me - power sockets in each cabin - no problem for watching movies, etc.
Would love to do the Qinghai to t¡bet journey - (1 way is enough) - but only with a few friends together.
bigroh73
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Winnemac » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:01 pm

Thanks for the advice! I haven't decided on whether to fly or take the train yet. It will probably come down to flight prices.
Winnemac

Postby fWerrF » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:58 am

do you like train or is it only for cost effective reason?
cuz time is money i would rather fly. i think the price used to be around ~200 USD on cathay/dragon.
fWerrF
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby evawinexpress » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:29 pm

If you take the train , the price will be RMB400. almost about 18 hours on the train .
evawinexpress
Lurker
Lurker

Postby shanghaires » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:01 pm

For a bunch of reasons I won't go into here, I recently caught the SH-HK, HK-SH T99/T100 train.

Purchased the tix hassle free from the English language booth/counter at the Shanghai Railway Station.

It was a 19-hour journey each way. My husband and I booked a soft-sleeper cabin (RMB 800 each, therefore RMB1600 for the cabin). The beds weren't soft per se but were fine to sleep on. You get your own toilet (which is crucial).

We had our luggage with us in the cabin the entire time (they were large suitcases).

There is also a power point which was a nice bonus (for the laptop).

NOTE: the wankers are allowed to smoke in the train. Technically, they are only allowed to smoke at the 'ends' of each car but it's not like there are windows that can be opened or extra ventilation in place to handle the smoke.

So, if you are booking a soft-sleeper cabin, try to book one in the middle of the car (e.g. cabin number 4, 5 or 6. This helps to control the situation somewhat. I was in cabin No. 5 on the way to HK and the smoke was manageable (I did have to wear a mask here and there at times - strongly recommend bringing along an N100 mask). I was in cabin No. 1 on the way back to SH and it was hopelessly smoked out just about the entire time (in addition to being right next to the end of the car, cabin 1 is also next to a small staff room where I suspect some idiot smoked pretty much the entire journey).

I checked out the next car along which was a 4-bunk per cabin soft sleeper. It looked ok but there was only one shared toilet at the ends of the car! :o Needless to say, that toilet was a mess-from-the-seventh-circle-of-hell by the end of the trip. If at all possible, fork over the extra RMB and go the individual cabin with your own loo.
shanghaires
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Shangstar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:31 pm

I once did a 16 hour train journey on hard seat on Labour Day about 10-years ago......I emptied myself out before the journey. Didn't eat anything, and drank little sips. Didn't use the toilet even once though I did see it. You need a strong stomach because it really did look as if a load of sh1t had hit a fan.
The Vatican is against surrogate mothers. Good thing they didn't have that rule when Jesus was born.
Shangstar
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby Office » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 pm

Office
Talker
Talker

Postby rbakker » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:59 am

We did HK->SHA just over a week ago, deluxe soft sleeper. As stated above, it wasn't very soft! But good enough. I'd read various estimates of the time, from 18h to 23 h but in the end it took 22 hours. Maybe we were running late, I don't know. We seemed to make long stops during the night and even spent over an hour at Guangzhou (Canton) station.

That's true about the smoking, luckily we were towards the middle.

The dining car didn't want to accept HK$, but did eventually, for a fair-enough exchange rate (a 15Y beer cost HK$20).

The view was interesting but not spectacular. Glad I did it but next time I'll fly.
rbakker

Return to Travel