Shipping items from US to China (via USPS)- Please help?!

All you need to know about moving to or around Shanghai! Find out if Puxi(West of the Huangpu River) or Pudong(East of the river) work for you

Shipping items from US to China (via USPS)- Please help?!

Postby myusername » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:55 am

Has anyone shipped items from the US to Shanghai China via USPS? My mom recently shipped me a whole box of brand new stuff that I ordered online. The cost was over $550! I had no idea she was going to ship everything. We have heard horror stories of packages getting delivered opened up and items missing or people not receiving their packages at all. Please, can anyone calm me down? I am worried sick. Thank you!
myusername

Re: Shipping items from US to China (via USPS)- Please help?

Postby root » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:36 pm

myusername wrote:The cost was over $550!

Wait..wait.. let me guess.. it was 70 lbs old refrigerator ?

http://ircalc.usps.gov/MailServices.asp ... =0&r=False

root
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby janlynn » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:12 pm

hlbb wrote:People here are just mean, Let me answer your seriously.
USPS personal item, no video game pls, 99% no problem.
UPS & FEDX, big time espically if you ship to a coperate address, you might get very very heavy fine. But it is China, the custom officer MIGHT ACCIDENTLY FORGET to collect the fine.

550 USD worth is really nothing. People ships Tiffany, Bvlgari all the time by USPS.

According to hlbb, on January 13th he was thinking about moving to Shanghai but wanted to know if you needed a gun. Now he is acting like an expert on everything China!

Mail and declare and you are ok. I had stuff sent via USPS and it was opened and intact; I had no fee. $550.00 might incur a customs fee but it is NOT a fine.
cant we all just get along
janlynn
Veejay
Veejay

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:23 pm

I have received a lot of stuff via mail ( shipped from USPS) and most the time the box was not even touched. IN a couple of cases, the box had been opened and resealed and everything that was suppose to be there was there. $550 is quite a bit of stuff.
Michael

Busy Busy-

Mood: Happy

Postby MrPuxi » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:28 pm

hlbb is a very odd person. first he/she wants to bring a gun, then wants to bribe customs officials and last but not least, he/she is worried about wearing a 50-dollar-watch and getting mugged over it. well....

usually shipping to china is not problem. of course, you are subject to taxation and customs duties. just don't make the mistake to "underdeclare" too much in order to save costs. in worst case, customs services will simply assume a value if they deem the declared value too low. usually not a good scenario.

i frequently order amazon from germany. i think they use ups. never any problems. nothing lost, never opened. all shipments go straight to my office, i.e. that would be a corporate address. strange enough i also never paid taxes/duties, coming to think of it....

in a nutshell: you should be fine.
MrPuxi
Rocker
Rocker

Postby MoonOverMiami » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Once had dvds being held up in customs because it was shipped by UPS. I wrote to UPS telling them I am allowed to bring in 10-15 dvd/books in a parcel without paying duty...so they sent me a customs declaration form for me to fill out and return, along with a copy of my passport photo page, residence permit page, and the entrance stamp page. Parcel arrived 5 days later without paying duty.

Other times I had to go to the EMS office in Shanghai to let customs inspect my parcel. Only lost time and it was a pain to find parking, but other than that no problem.

FedEx, though...fuggetaboutit. They're in cahoots with customs and want to charge no matter what. :P
Charly: "Were you always this stupid or did you take lessons?"
Mitch: "I took lessons."
MoonOverMiami
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby elvis1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:24 pm

Once my mom sent me 2 dresses from the US and they didn't show up, and once my MIL sent some stuff for baby that didn't show up but other than that everything has come in fine. I
elvis1
Talker
Talker

Postby buckwild » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:55 pm

i'm buying stuff on ebay from the states, most of which is sent here via usps...it usually takes no more than a week to arrive and i can't remember to ever have had to pay custom charges.

i have bought other stuff from the states online which has been sent by ups/fedex, and i've had that stopped in custom several times and two-three times it's taken a couple of weeks to cut through the red tape, and in the end i have to send them a copy of my passport including last date of entry, and there's usually a fee to pay.
buckwild
Barker
Barker

Return to Relocation & Moving