Short Term Teaching Jobs

All you need to know about moving to or around Shanghai! Find out if Puxi(West of the Huangpu River) or Pudong(East of the river) work for you

Short Term Teaching Jobs

Postby bethench » Wed May 20, 2009 12:37 am

My husband and I are thinking about living and working in Shanghai for 4 months, but we are totally clueless. We've been looking for teaching jobs, but it seems they all require a 6-12 month contract. Does anyone have any tips on finding short term jobs?

We've also heard you can pretty much just show up and find a job, but how does the visa situation work there? Is it really possible to go on a travel visa, find a job, go to hong kong for the weekend and apply for a work visa? Can you go on a student visa and have a part time job?

Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated! We really want this to work.
bethench

Postby jeffinflorida » Thu May 21, 2009 9:35 pm

We've also heard you can pretty much just show up and find a job, but how does the visa situation work there?

Not to burst your dream bubble but you heard wrong.

That MAY have been the case in past years but the world economic situation has affected China and visa policies make it much more difficult to do that.

Some employers can change your visa without you having to leave but that's never a given. At the risk of getting my tight ass chewed out by Uncle Yu I won't suggest you attempt to work on anything other than a real working visa. Keep in mind that not every employer or school can get you a real working visa and some may allow you to teach/work on a tourist visa.

I have always had a Z visa and the school I work at is legit but there is one fellow working here on a tourist visa but that ain't my business...

Finding 4 month work is not easy at all. Your option is committing to a 6 month or longer contract and them requesting to leave at the 4 month mark. Issues with that are usually you will lose some salary, but most that opt to do that will use the family illness excuse or just quit the day after payday. It's a matter of karma.
Who would have thought that a girl who is a hooker would be a hooker... In China of all places?!?
jeffinflorida
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby paulinshanghai » Thu May 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Jeff is spot on.

You can find some 'Summer camps' Or 'summer schools' that want teachers just for the summer, but they pay ridiculously low salaries and make you work long hours in crappy places (and not in Shanghai). So not much point doing that if you want to travel as well.

You can only get a working visa or a student visa if you have a job, or are a student. So that wouldnt apply to you.
paulinshanghai
Raver
Raver

Postby monalisalee » Thu May 21, 2009 10:33 pm

Plus, you will need degrees to get teaching jobs.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby ClarenceBodicker » Thu May 21, 2009 10:33 pm

Like anything in China, it depends where u r.

Some provinces u can practically have the provincial party boss blowing u. they dont care about visa status, they r just thrilled to have a laowai in their midst,; looks all developed modern and sh1t.

u'd best go for a summer job.
as far as im aware ull b working illegally as they aint gonna pay for a z visa for 2 months. i dunoo, its been a while since i done one and under different circumstances.

the offers on the internet are a pathetic joke, a fraction of what they used to be and u can get much more just turning up in the right place. i think they r trying to prey on an employee market that is a long way from that broke.

i saw a job in the (pretty) zhoushan islands for 7k a month, have the contact if u want it but personally i wouldnt touch it with a fork stick.

join Longre and teach with ziccawei all summer, maybe 30k ish but alot of "class"

get z visa accepting a job u neva turn up 4

get a l or biz visa no1 will care outside sh or bj.

blah
ClarenceBodicker
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby DrShanghai » Fri May 22, 2009 12:16 am

Depends on who you know as well
DrShanghai
Rocker
Rocker

Postby monalisalee » Fri May 22, 2009 12:55 am

Well, there is a world-wide depression, cant get a job in their own country, so as they heard a western face and native English is all ya need for a teach job, let's go to China, and have a bit of a holiday.

Jeez!
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby Misteral » Fri May 22, 2009 12:59 am

If you are determined then come on a tourist visa and if you find a job you will illegal and taking your chances. No employer to my mind would be willing to put the time and money into getting you a Residency Permit for a couple of months.
Misteral
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby jeffinflorida » Fri May 22, 2009 12:11 pm

Me English very good! Even i am not American Me English good! My cousin Borat he go to America, He English very Good and he become Big Movie Star and everyone in America love him!
Who would have thought that a girl who is a hooker would be a hooker... In China of all places?!?
jeffinflorida
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby bryan79 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:02 pm

The problem you will run into is that IF you find part-time employment it will be with a less than reputable school which will result in a number of headaches regarding late pay or less pay than you agreed upon, insufficient material, additional classes beyond what you agreed to, larger classes than you agreed to and on and on...

You will basically be at the whim of your employer insofar as you will be an illegal and they will take advantage of that situation.

Wouldn't advise; especially if you have no ESL experience and no certification.
bryan79
Barker
Barker

Postby bethench » Sat May 23, 2009 3:40 am

Thanks for all the replies, they have been very helpful. We are actually limited in time because my husband has a job starting in January. We definitely don't want to work illegally, but it looks like teaching won't work out because of the contract situation. As a teacher in the US, I definitely understand the desire to have teachers for 6-12 months.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what we could do for a 4-month stay in China? Do schools hire substitutes, or is it possible to find other employment? We would also be willing to volunteer if anyone knows of any good programs.

Thanks again for the info!
bethench

Return to Relocation & Moving