South Indian Food in Shanghai!

F&B, Groceries and everything in between!

South Indian Food in Shanghai!

Postby spooner » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:02 pm

A South Indian Restaurant opened in town a few months back and the food is so good, I have been reluctant to share the details. I apologize.

Good Times Cuisine and Cafe, 401 Dagu Road (at Shimen Yi Road)
021-53751275.

The food is fantastic, head to page 8 of the menu to sample some of the staples of South Indian Food: Dosa's, Vada, Idli, Uthapaam all served with fresh Sambar and Chutneys.

If you don't know what these things are, you may be missing out. The food is quite different from North Indian Food (which is easy to find world over).

The atmosphere is "home style", which means striped yellow. I can't say I understand but it looks identical to their other location, in New Delhi.

The staff is friendly and helpful and can guide you through the interesting menu.

The draft beers are tall and cold.
spooner

Postby swisscook » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:33 pm

Hmmmmm.... If I would not know better I'd say this sounds like an advertising... But anyway, I dare to disagree. Although I do think the decor is quit different than your typical Indian Restaurant ( and refreshingly so ) I do think they missed the target. The Menu is a mix of typical Coffeeshop fair with Burgers, Fish & Chips, plenty of Salads and other Stuff. I found the Dosa's, Vada and especially the Uthapaam all lacking. The dough was neither crispy nor thin but a saugy something with a gluey Potato filling in the Dosas. Also I found the Samber bland. Anyway, maybe we catched them on a wrong day or had to high expectations since Masala Art used to be quiet good. Or maybe I just got spoiled when I worked in New Delhi.
swisscook
Ranter
Ranter

Postby sweenytodd » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:48 pm

So how much is a Thali?
sweenytodd
Raver
Raver

Postby sandeepbudhiraja » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:32 am

There is no thali. The food is quite good by Shanghai standards for Indian food. Can't compare with stuff back in India.
sandeepbudhiraja
Reacher
Reacher

Postby shindam » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:44 pm

Was there over the weekend and found it to be decent. We had Dosa and Chicken Chettinad and even though they were not perfect, We were happy with what we got. We also had the sweet Lassi which I could go back for again, especially on a hot day. It also had authentic feel to it, with large families/kids with high db count, reminding me of bay area Indian restaurants :lol:

One recommendation not commonly known. Try dosa with chicken chettinad or one of the other chicken dishes.. I like that combination more than dosa/sambar, maybe something to do with me being a meat lover.
shindam
Talker
Talker

Postby spooner » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:40 am

Swisscook:

Where are you getting your Dosa these days? (theirs are a bit soggy)

I am sorry you thought I was just advertising. I really can only speak for the vegetarian dishes on Page 8, and I have not bothered with the cafe fair.

spoon
spooner

Postby Yashodhara » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:42 pm

Do you really hink this is good food? Sorry, this was very sorry fare masquerading as authentic good food. I had their pav bhaji and I know my pav baji as I am a Bombaywallah. Can never imagine this - it is served in a bowl with no chopped onion , cilantro and green chilis and teh spuce was straight out of a premade commerical mix (like MDH Pav Bhaji masala). The pav is is more like side show bread. Please, avoid! My husband thought the dosas were fine but that is because we have anyway lowered our standards for shanghai Indian food .
Yashodhara
Lurker
Lurker

Postby jonasei » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:44 pm

Ok, so I'd like to hear from people, especially the Indians on this board, where the best Indian food would be in Shanghai. I've tried a couple of places and they all seem very bland - not nearly spicy enough. Are there any good authentic places in town?
jonasei
Raver
Raver

Postby sandeepbudhiraja » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:55 pm

Yashodhara, sorry you picked the worst item on the menu. Try panner tikka roll or the idlis / vadas. The sambher is on the bland side and dosa is quite good by Shanghai standards.
Jonasei - Go to Masala Art. Ask them to make it spicy as they would tend to tone it down on seeing a non Indian face. Vedas is quite good too. Kebab & Grills on Bund is good for its variety in starters.
sandeepbudhiraja
Reacher
Reacher

Postby sweenytodd » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Hey Jonasei,

Indian Kitchen is ok but they have a huge range and around 4 branches.
Kaveen's Kitchen (next to the Jingan Temple Cross-Section) has a smaller range of food but it is "masala" overkill food and might be what you're looking for.
China Punjabi (not sure about the name) is good value for food, good quality and big range. They also have 4 branches.

Check the Shanghai English mags for the addresses or maybe Sandeep could help (he knows quite a bit about Shg).
sweenytodd
Raver
Raver

Postby jazzyqueen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:24 pm

Being a South Indian myself..I cant compare it with the stuff that you get in South India ofcourse..actually I think I have had better South Indian food else where in the world. BUT, it definitely beats not having a South Indian restaurant in shanghai at all. Oh well, if not for anything I love the ambience! Tried their Rava Dosa the last time I was there, a week back. Its the best on the South Indian Menu they have.
jazzyqueen
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby still_here » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:39 pm

My picks: Vedas and to some extent, Bukhara.
Masala Art and Indian Kitchen (the one in Pudong) are ok.
Punjabi (the one on Fangdian Lu, Pudong) su.cks.
still_here
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby sweenytodd » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:24 pm

jazzyqueen wrote:Being a South Indian myself..I cant compare it with the stuff that you get in South India ofcourse..actually I think I have had better South Indian food else where in the world. BUT, it definitely beats not having a South Indian restaurant in shanghai at all. Oh well, if not for anything I love the ambience! Tried their Rava Dosa the last time I was there, a week back. Its the best on the South Indian Menu they have.

Ive heard this quite a lot from folks from the mainland...but these days some great homestyle indian food even better than home can be got in places like Dubai, Toronto, Bahrain...

I'm not a S Indian Food super fan myself but there is an elegance in good sambar and idlis which is unmatched.
sweenytodd
Raver
Raver

Postby comehere » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Just enjoy the food. Their is not enough market for Indian food to have chefs of all kinds of cuisine. If you enjoyed the food for the price you paid that is good enough. I think good times food is decent and if I have not enjoyed something, have requested them to make it more authentic. Most of the times the people have done it. I enjoyed it. Indian Resturants in Shanghai - Bukhara, Masala Art and Vedas in that order. They listen to you and are willing to accomodate to suit to your taste. Sometimes you can also get off menu items if requested in advance.
comehere
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby sandeepbudhiraja » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:02 pm

completely agree with you :)
sandeepbudhiraja
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Yashodhara » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:19 pm

OK, I hear y'all. I guess it needs some off menu ordering. Which is fine with me. I still insist the dosa/sambar was poor, or rather amde carelessly by chefs with a captive, helplessly desperate Indian expat community hungering for home food. I did some off menu ordering at Indian kitchen and they did a fair job but the use of Orange FDC Colour No. 5 was not comforting. I like the pumpkin curry at Element Fresh. Only one Indian thing on the menu.

There are 3 Nepali restaurants - forget names but tehy are all generic names like Nepal Kitchen or something.

Shanhgai is not a small city for Indian food. I have had easily available Indian food in other world cities not known for an Indian community.
Yashodhara
Lurker
Lurker

Postby sandeepbudhiraja » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Yashodhara, sorry you seem new to Shanghai & China. Indian Kitchen dosa being described as better than GT, is surprising.
You do realise that the taste buds of locals are very different and the target population for Indian restaurants in smaller than in most of the South Asian countries or UK. Also there are literally no immigrants from India who have been here for long hence lack of good authentic restaurants. It takes time.
sandeepbudhiraja
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Shangstar » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:18 pm

Vedas is the best, and brimming with Indian people every time I have been. Pricey yes, tasty yes.
The Vatican is against surrogate mothers. Good thing they didn't have that rule when Jesus was born.
Shangstar
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby caso » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:04 pm

I have been another time today for Sunday Brunch at Vedas.
The deal seems extremely good to me, 125RMB person for something between a set lunch and all you can eat. They decide the dishes like in a set lunch but you can re- order any of them the times you want.
Also free flow of Qingdao beer or soft drink.
caso
Veejay
Veejay

Punabi- Fangdian Lu sucks

Postby DAN09 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:03 am

still_here wrote:My picks: Vedas and to some extent, Bukhara.
Masala Art and Indian Kitchen (the one in Pudong) are ok.
Punjabi (the one on Fangdian Lu, Pudong) su.cks.

Second that....Punjabi, Fangdian Lu sucks, with respect to the quality of food as well as Service! If you order delivery from them....god save you!
DAN09

Postby carolina2aus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:15 pm

No problemo!
Last edited by carolina2aus on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
carolina2aus
Reacher
Reacher

Postby BeiDong » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:33 pm

www.icexpat.com

Front page has a list of the Top Indian Restaurants in Shanghai.
BeiDong
Ranter
Ranter

Postby HiBeverly » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Popped into Good Times on Dagu (thanks for the tip!) last night to check it out - menu looks a bit bizzare.. fish & chips on the menu, alongside Dosa and curries?!

Waiter was very pleasant and friendly though. We'll go next week for dinner and try it out. They also will do Gulab Jamun for us!!!!!! Score!!
HiBeverly
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Re: South Indian Food in Shanghai!

Postby panigowri » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Grand taj indian restaurant

the best only south indian restaurant in shanghai. newly opened
buffet you can get the tradional south indian food
this restaurant specialities is you can get south-north-east-west foods avaliable .
decoration in nice
you are in indian there is no comment .
grand the name you feel
one person only Rmb 60 to 70 only.
but the place to find is diffcult.
address: no.555 gubei road
changning district
shanghai
china
tel:32517585
panigowri

Postby coxaca » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:05 pm

panigowri wrote:Grand taj indian restaurant

this restaurant specialities is you can get south-north-east-west foods avaliable .
decoration in nice
grand the name you feel
changning district
shanghai
china

At first I thought this was a shill. Then I imagined the words being spoken with an Indian accent, and now I'm not so sure.

Would like to hear other feedback about this place, as it's close to where I live.

Are there any Sri Lankan restaurants in Shanghai? I have a sudden hankering for crab curry, beef smore and paripoo with string hoppers on the side. Maybe some pan rolls for starters. Mmmmmm.......vat no men.....
The bottom line here is we must lower our cost base to make room for a lower margin product mix world and to grow our earnings going forward.
coxaca

King of Pop

Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Cool

Postby theindianguy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:31 am

decoration in nice
grand the name you feel
changning district
shanghai
china

You are not going to sell stuff with such terrible English.

I go to the Indian Kitchen for the South Indian stuff.
Seems like the chefs/managers are South Indians at all their Shanghai locations.
theindianguy
Rocker
Rocker

Postby KalanStar » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:52 am

Indian Kitchen gets 4 stars from me. i highly recommend it.
Bored Legend...
KalanStar
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby panigowri » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:49 am

MR.veejay,

you like chettinadu crab curry go to grand taj , you need to reservation , and order for live crab curry . contact
panigowri

Postby panigowri » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:08 pm

The best only south indian restaurant in shanghai. newly opened
Buffet you can get the tradtional south indian food in shanghai.
decoration inn nice
you are an indian there is no comment .
grand Taj the name that you feel
But the place to find is difficult.
changning district
shanghai
china
panigowri

Postby panigowri » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:34 pm

thanks for fast reply and good advice .
who? tell your mistakes he is the best best friend of you.
because next time that mistake not happen again.
correct your mistake is your first step of success.

I go to the Grand taj for the South Indian stuff.
not Seems? really they are from tamilnadu ,andra ,karnataka,bangalore the chef's/manager's are South Indians.

theindianguy wrote:

The best only south indian restaurant in shanghai. newly opened
Buffet on saturday only 68 rmb /person.you can get the tradtional south indian food in shanghai.
decoration inn very nice.
you are an indian there is no comment .
grand Taj the name that you feels inside the restaurant.
one person only Rmb 60 to 80 have a lunch and dinner respectively.
But the place to find is difficult.
address: no.555 gubei road (near shanghai art collection museum)
changning district
shanghai
china

You are not going to sell stuff with such terrible English.

I go to the Indian Kitchen for the South Indian stuff.
Seems like the chefs/managers are South Indians at all their Shanghai locations.
panigowri

Next

Return to Food & Drink