Sudafed

Sudafed

Postby Jarrad » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:08 pm

Does anyone know a Chinese brand of Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) available in Watsons or Shanghai's pharmacies?

Thanks!
Jarrad
Squeeker
Squeeker

Re: Sudafed

Postby coxaca » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Smart thinking. With the number of Watson's outlets here, you could stockpile enough of that stuff to make a year's supply of E for every expat in Shanghai!
The bottom line here is we must lower our cost base to make room for a lower margin product mix world and to grow our earnings going forward.
coxaca

King of Pop

Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Cool

Postby Jarrad » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:49 pm

Uh... More like I've had allergies since the moment I've stepped foot in Shanghai and the Zyrtec and (misspelled) brand of Claritin here aren't cutting it for me.

Usually I take two sudafed and two advil at home when my allergies act up and I'm good.
Jarrad
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby zak102 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:21 pm

Mummy does not allow Pseudoephedrine retail here /sorry. Bring it from home.

I've tried for PE over the years to dry up a nose and fix a mild chest thingy. Mai-yo.

You want fake antibiotics ? No queue.
http://lucky-jamieson.com/ The luckiest man in China but Tasmania in Australia awaits. You stay, I'll go. SOON.
zak102
Raver
Raver

Postby Motherof2boys » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:01 pm

Jarrad wrote:Does anyone know a Chinese brand of Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) available in Watsons or Shanghai's pharmacies?

Thanks!

Please post if you find any. My family uses that during allergy season and it's one of the few things that really work. In the US you can only buy so many milligrams a day, and must show your license. No way I could stockpile enough for even six months there.
Motherof2boys
Talker
Talker

Postby DrShanghai » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:37 pm

pseudoephedrine is not something you want to be taking for allergies,it can be very dangerous You need an antihistamine or a steroid nose spray. I personally use Zyrtec, every 24 four hours.Zyrtec(Cetirizine Dihydrochlride) is not a Brand of Claritin(Loradine), they are two very different products, Having said that one might work better for you, they are both readily available as an OTC med.

Sudafed is A Vasoconstrictor, it stimulates your central nervous system, making your heart beat faster, raising your BP, it can be very addicting. Certainly Not something should be taken regularly.
Yes it is very restricted in the US for good reason. it is one of the components used to make Speed(Methamphetamine) . You will not find it anywhere in Asia to my knowledge.

I would recommend seeing an American doctor here, have them run some allergy testing, and seek their advice.
I do very well on the Zyrtec, with few problems, and back in Dallas even with Zyrtec I really suffer.

Good luck
DrShanghai
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Jarrad » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:44 am

Yeah, I'm taking Zyrtec right now with limited success. My allergies are a bit strange, no rashes, no itchy eyes or throat, just a runny nose and (in the morning for 5-10 min after I wake up) a sore throat. I thought it might be a cold, but I took a day off from work and downed a dose of Nyquil every 6 hours on the dot for a day and a half which would've killed any cold I know of.

I'm taking Zyrtec but also have tried Claritin here. Even tried both at the same time (that was a woozy day). Really not much improvement. I had a friend that visited here from Taiwan a couple weeks ago and he went to a doctor about his (quite similar) condition. Apparently the doctor laughed at him when he told him he was taking Zyrtec, and wrote a prescription for something much much stronger after which he seemed to feel better. I don't want to go to a hospital over a 3 month stay here, but it may just come to that.

I think I'll go hit-up the "How to: See a doctor in Shanghai" guides and give that a shot.
Jarrad
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby DrShanghai » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:41 am

Do you have travel Health insurance?
You have to realize Chinese health care is in the 1950's. If he saw a Chinese Doctor, they more than likely knew nothing about Zyrtec?.
Depending where you are, I would go and see Dr Ted Benoit @ United Family Hospital. http://www.unitedfamilyhospitals.com. Even without insurance it won't cost more than $100 for everything
It doesn't sound like Allergies it sounds like rebound effect from the Sudafed, The Doctor may put you on a steroid, oral, or nasal spray.
Good luck
DrShanghai
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Jarrad » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:48 am

DrShanghai wrote:Do you have travel Health insurance?
You have to realize Chinese health care is in the 1950's. If he saw a Chinese Doctor, they more than likely knew nothing about Zyrtec?.
Depending where you are, I would go and see Dr Ted Benoit @ United Family Hospital. http://www.unitedfamilyhospitals.com. Even without insurance it won't cost more than $100 for everything
It doesn't sound like Allergies it sounds like rebound effect from the Sudafed, The Doctor may put you on a steroid, oral, or nasal spray.
Good luck

Rebound effect? Not sure what you mean by that. I probably haven't taken sudafed at all for 3 months before coming to Shanghai. I had about 4 or 5 doses with me and once that was gone I tried Claritin and Zyrtec. Either way, I'll see about going to a doctor.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Jarrad
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby DrShanghai » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:00 am

Sure good luck, let me know how it goes
DrShanghai
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Parkwaycommunity » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Sudafed(Pseudoephedrine) is not available in China. But our pharmacy prepares few boxes for the special patient.
And we can deliver medications to your office or home with extra delivery fee if it is not convenient for you to drop by our pharmacy.

For more information,please call us at (021)3382 1382 Parkway Community Pharmacy (not affiliated with Parkway Health) staffed by English speaking, professional pharmacists and technicians.
Bussiness hours: 9AM-7:30PM(M-F) 9AM-6:00PM(Sat)
333 BiYun Road 9-B101A
JinQiao, Pudong, Shanghai, 201206
www.parkwaycommunitypharmacy.com

Jarrad wrote:Does anyone know a Chinese brand of Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) available in Watsons or Shanghai's pharmacies?

Thanks!
Parkwaycommunity
Talker
Talker

Postby Jarrad » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Parkwaycommunity wrote:Sudafed(Pseudoephedrine) is not available in China. But our pharmacy prepares few boxes for the special patient.
And we can deliver medications to your office or home with extra delivery fee if it is not convenient for you to drop by our pharmacy.

For more information,please call us at (021)3382 1382 Parkway Community Pharmacy (not affiliated with Parkway Health) staffed by English speaking, professional pharmacists and technicians.
Bussiness hours: 9AM-7:30PM(M-F) 9AM-6:00PM(Sat)
333 BiYun Road 9-B101A
JinQiao, Pudong, Shanghai, 201206
http://www.parkwaycommunitypharmacy.com

Thanks. I actually ran out of Zyrtec and so went a day without taking any medicine and I've been fine all the sudden. Not sure why. If I need some Sudafed in the future I'll drop by your pharmacy and try to act "special." Gracias.
Jarrad
Squeeker
Squeeker

Return to Health Care