Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Why don't Expats Drive Cars

Why Don't Shanghai Expats Drive a Car

Poll ended at Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:38 am

Its to Dangerous
29%
Its to difficult to obtain a driving licence
No votes
Its to expensive to obtain a Shanghai plate
12%
Its just to much hassle and Taxis are cheap
59%

Total votes : 17

Re: Why don't Expats Drive Cars

Postby Mister_happy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:32 pm

In some cases the air pollution going my car is reduced when it comes out of the exhaust!

public transport may be cheap but I have seen enough busses involved in accidents to know its just as safe driving a car.

All the accidents I have been involved in have not been my fault and I have had not to pay anything to anybody, they have had to pay may car repairs!
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby D.ORiGiNAL » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:13 pm

People who say that driving here is dangerous simply don't know how to drive. It's not more dangerous to drive here than it is in Paris or Athens.

Chinese people throwing themselves under your wheels for money because you are a laowai is just plain stupid. I mean come on...

Expats living in Shanghai and staying in the inner ring don't need a car. To go from their compound on Anfu lu to the Starbucks on Jianguo lu they can just use taxis and public transportation. For us that live a bit outside of Shanghai (there is life outside the outer ring!!!), a car is the perfect way to move around, especially with small kids. I could afford a driver but to be honest I just love driving. This is something nobody mentioned but there are still people who are car enthusiasts and I am one of them. I would own a car no matter where I live. Being able to take your family out of the city yourself is also pretty awesome. You can drive to Moganshan and be there within 2 hours, spend the weekend and come back rested and ready for another week of madness.

We have an expart car group on wechat. It's mostly jokes but it can be helpful for everything from painting your car to fixing your 20 inches wheels.
"rolandchina80 : So everything you have ever bought in China has been inflated because of your 'Laowai' face? Maybe you just look like a dick."
D.ORiGiNAL
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Mister_happy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:27 pm

D.ORiGiNAL wrote: You can drive to Moganshan and be there within 2 hours, spend the weekend and come back rested and ready for another week of madness.

I love the roads around Moganshan, hills, hairpin bends and hard breaking. Not quiet up to the roads around Scaling Dam in North Yorkshire, but as good as you can get in China.

I just leave the wife and kids in the Moganshan hotel and I go for a BRISK drive around the montains. 8)
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby zhengheren » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:35 pm

1) The dealer will rip you off and overcharge you when you buy.
2) Any used car will have the same over-pricing issue.
3) You are a walking wallet and target for any insurance and injury and lawsuit scammers. "I was hit by a foreigner! I don't need to work ever again!".
4) When you attempt to sell it, no one will buy and you will have to dump it at the last minute at a massive loss when you leave the country.

Buying a car is just another way for China to keep your money.
zhengheren
Talker
Talker

Postby ratty » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:34 pm

D.ORiGiNAL wrote:People who say that driving here is dangerous simply don't know how to drive.

Abject nonsense. You have zero credibility posting idiocy like that.

D.ORiGiNAL wrote: It's not more dangerous to drive here than it is in Paris or Athens.

I dont know about Athens, but do people *target* you for accidents in Paris? NO. Here? Most certainly YES.

D.ORiGiNAL wrote:Chinese people throwing themselves under your wheels for money because you are a laowai is just plain stupid. I mean come on...

Happens all the time here. That you are do dumb to not know this does not make this false. Only in your own deluded mind.

D.ORiGiNAL wrote:Expats living in Shanghai and staying in the inner ring don't need a car. To go from their compound on Anfu lu to the Starbucks on Jianguo lu they can just use taxis and public transportation. For us that live a bit outside of Shanghai (there is life outside the outer ring!!!), a car is the perfect way to move around, especially with small kids. I could afford a driver but to be honest I just love driving. This is something nobody mentioned but there are still people who are car enthusiasts and I am one of them. I would own a car no matter where I live. Being able to take your family out of the city yourself is also pretty awesome. You can drive to Moganshan and be there within 2 hours, spend the weekend and come back rested and ready for another week of madness.

We have an expart car group on wechat. It's mostly jokes but it can be helpful for everything from painting your car to fixing your 20 inches wheels.

LMFAO.
ratty
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby D.ORiGiNAL » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:56 pm

ratty wrote:Abject nonsense. You have zero credibility posting idiocy like that.

It's all about being able to anticipate. If you are careful (for example by slowing down at a crossroad even if the light is green for you) and don't drive like a retard, you will make it. I think that's pretty much the first thing you learn when you start the driving license.

ratty wrote:Happens all the time here. That you are do dumb to not know this does not make this false. Only in your own deluded mind.

Yes I heard those people only target dark blue GL8 cause they know most filthy rich expats ride in them. AHAHA dude please ask your expat friends to come on the forum and tell their stories. I am pretty sure it happened twice and the little expat circle talks about it again and again.

ratty wrote:LMFAO.

I am glad you have a driver but make sure to hide in your car everytime you go out of your expat compound. Peasants on electric bikes are waiting for you at the gate!!! :lol:
"rolandchina80 : So everything you have ever bought in China has been inflated because of your 'Laowai' face? Maybe you just look like a dick."
D.ORiGiNAL
Rocker
Rocker

Postby ruebreteuil » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Nonetheless, I hope that you have a dash cam, Original :lol: :wink: :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpkQ2oec5LY
Attachments
ScreenJot Cropped 07-12-2015 21 22 50 [1024x768].jpg
ScreenJot Cropped 07-12-2015 21 20 51 [1024x768].jpg
ScreenJot Cropped 07-12-2015 21 21 22 [1024x768].jpg
ruebreteuil
Raver
Raver

Postby rickettyrabbit » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Mister_happy wrote:I love the roads around Moganshan, hills, hairpin bends and hard breaking.

"Break? No, the thing that stops your car is a brake!

Are that many expats not native English speakers?
Wabbit
More than 6,000 Terra Cotta warriors, and reportedly no two are alike. IOW, no copies! My, how things have changed in China!
rickettyrabbit
Board Legend
Board Legend

Location: Chinese-free zone. No, wait - just looked at the wife.

Postby Mister_happy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:28 pm

rickettyrabbit wrote:
Mister_happy wrote:I love the roads around Moganshan, hills, hairpin bends and hard breaking.

"Break? No, the thing that stops your car is a brake!

Are that many expats not native English speakers?

Sorry had the predictive typing set on my mobile phone when I wrote that! I have to be careful as it will type my wife's name as "shorty"....... :?

Most of the con artist who dive in front of car do so to expensive looking cars owed by Chinese owner/drivers and very few expats get involved. With my 33% tinted glass it is impossible to see that I am a white man to target me as a foreigner.

Most Chinese are too tight and stupid to pay for fully comprehensive insurance.

1. 3rd Party Insurance is the only legal insurance you need. This does not cover legal aid, health costs to you, passengers and victims, compensation to relatives for death and injuries up to a max of 1.5million rmb, repairs to your car and only pays for the other vehicles and property. Cost 1000rmb

2. I have fully Comprehensive so speak to my lawyer paid for by my insurance company if you want to make a claim against THE INSURANCE COMPANY and not me! Cost 4500rmb.

3. So get a Chinese Driving Licence, Have a Register Car, Pay for a Shanghai Plate, hit your wallet for Fully Comprehensive Insurance and you are fine.
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby D.ORiGiNAL » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:47 pm

Exactly!

That was the other thing I wanted to tell Ratty if he ever comes back here to answer this thread. I also have the full insurance because it's cheap and in case of one those people throw themselves in front of my car ( :mrgreen: ), the police will come and handle the case. Just like they do everyday. They are very efficient and the insurance company will take care of everything very quickly.
D.ORiGiNAL
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Mister_happy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:05 am

D.ORiGiNAL wrote:Exactly!

That was the other thing I wanted to tell Ratty if he ever comes back here to answer this thread. I also have the full insurance because it's cheap and in case of one those people throw themselves in front of my car ( :mrgreen: ), the police will come and handle the case. Just like they do everyday. They are very efficient and the insurance company will take care of everything very quickly.

I must say 4500rmb/year insurance is not cheap, but it does give me peace of mind when driving!

Ratty has been around as long as I have and what he says has an element of truth behind it and people should be advised on the actual reality. But as someone who has been driving here 5 years I can say there is a normality about it all, a Chinese NORMALITY but one you can understand. The only people I know who get into trouble are the ones who do it illegally and don't take the advice of us "old lags".

You just have to know how to separate the urban myths from reality.
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby SindbadMalone » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:23 am

monty burns wrote:Many people complain about the horrible traffic and pollution in China.
Why would I want to add to the traffic and pollution ?

Public transportation is far cheaper and probably safer.

Also, I know the Chinese mentality of always placing the blame on the foreigner. "This never would have happened if you were not here in China". "The rich foreigner will pay for everything".

Which pollution from cars? All cars in Shanghai are no older than 7 years.
they all have filters and most models have German or Japanese engines
with low fuel consumption. Sure there is pollution in Shanghai, but it's definitely not from traffic.
SindbadMalone
Raver
Raver

Postby rickettyrabbit » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:31 am

SindbadMalone wrote:
monty burns wrote:Many people complain about the horrible traffic and pollution in China.
Why would I want to add to the traffic and pollution ?

Public transportation is far cheaper and probably safer.

Also, I know the Chinese mentality of always placing the blame on the foreigner. "This never would have happened if you were not here in China". "The rich foreigner will pay for everything".

Which pollution from cars? All cars in Shanghai are no older than 7 years.
they all have filters and most models have German or Japanese engines
with low fuel consumption. Sure there is pollution in Shanghai, but it's definitely not from traffic.

That might have a chance of being partly true if China used safer fuel and all the engines met first world standards. Both are far from true.

Vehicle pollution is the cause of about 70% of the smog that casts a haze over certain Chinese cities. Chinese can check the levels of ozone and particulate material (PM2.5) in Beijing, Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Sheyang every hour at the Twitter site https://twitter.com/BeijingAir. That site gets its data from http://www.stateair.net/web/post/1/1.html, which is run by the US government.

Take a sample day to measure the situation. On Friday 10/11/2013, Beijing air quality for PM 2.5 averaged 59 mg/m3 ranging from a low of 19 to a high of 158 with the numbers climbed steadily through the day. That converts to an air quality index of 153, which is classified by international norms as “unhealthy.”

To put the Beijing number in perspective, consider some other cities around the world that are also considered to have problems with air pollution. Mexico City’s annual average for the same pollutant is about 22. Santiago, Chile’s average for two winter months (July, August) was 36. (The winter months in Santiago and in Los Angeles when air pollution is made worse by cold air aloft trapping warm air below and their location between the mountains and the sea thus making ventilation poor.)

- See more at: http://www.chinausfocus.com/energy-envi ... oCdvD.dpuf
Wabbit
More than 6,000 Terra Cotta warriors, and reportedly no two are alike. IOW, no copies! My, how things have changed in China!
rickettyrabbit
Board Legend
Board Legend

Location: Chinese-free zone. No, wait - just looked at the wife.

Postby D.ORiGiNAL » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:32 am

Mister_happy wrote:I must say 4500rmb/year insurance is not cheap, but it does give me peace of mind when driving!

I think that in Europe it's pretty much the same price for the full insurance! I could be wrong though but 600 Euros sounds right.

Mister_happy wrote:Ratty has been around as long as I have and what he says has an element of truth behind it and people should be advised on the actual reality. But as someone who has been driving here 5 years I can say there is a normality about it all, a Chinese NORMALITY but one you can understand. The only people I know who get into trouble are the ones who do it illegally and don't take the advice of us "old lags".

Yes I didn't say that it never happened but it's just a wrong generalization. Imagine being freshly arrived in Shanghai and read all those stories. No wonder why you would not want to drive. All I am saying is that it's NOT something that happens on a regular basis. Ratty has been there as long as we had (10 years+) so he should know better.

Mister_happy wrote:You just have to know how to separate the urban myths from reality.

Yes!
D.ORiGiNAL
Rocker
Rocker

Postby JyBravo70 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:07 pm

I have been driving here for just over 3 years now and the only issue was acclimating to the localized rules of right-of-way. I don't find it any harder over driving in New York or Chicago. At least here the road rage won't end up in a shooting. My biggest fear is becoming too localized and driving like a Shanghainer when I eventually go home. I am getting used to the lack of ticketing by police and free flow of rights of way here.
JyBravo70
Reacher
Reacher

Postby MadViv » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Klick wrote:those Jinqiao yoga hyenas are way more vicious than I am.

Sorry, off topic question: which yoga studios do these Jinqiao hyenas frequent?
MadViv
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby rolandchina80 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:26 pm

I took Friday off and then drove to JinHua City in ZheJiang Province to pick up a two man kayak I had bought and then drove to Baisha and the lake of a Million Islands or some such name with my son. Spent the weekend zipping around near empty mountain and lake roads in stunning scenery, kayaking alone on a deserted lake and then drove back to Shanghai.

Not one suicidal jumper, no rip offs, paid the same prices as everyone else, all keen to let you see their country and how nice it is and then of course back to the madhouse of Shanghai and what most people think China is all about. Sure I enjoy the convenience of the 'City' shops in Shanghai but even back in the UK I can survive a weekend or longer in the lake district, without the daily need to pop into a supermarket. Pack everything you need in the back of the clapped out Great Wall jeep that 'D'Original' kindly sold me.....

Don't think I could stand to do that with a paid driver in tow.

So you pay your money and take your choice, drive, be driven or join the eco world and walk and cycle everywhere. Might take you a while to get to some nice scenic spots from the centre of Shanghai though.
rolandchina80
Talker
Talker

Postby Mister_happy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:48 pm

Thousand Island Lake a wonderful place. I seem to remember it was a five hour drive in a mini bus to go scuba diving there, use to dive straight out the hotel into the water!

We never found the sunken city that was left over from when they made the dam in the 70s.

But if you want a quick day trip head over to Chongming Island and DongTang Park. Its only 60km from Century Park and less then an hour and a half drive. The last time I took a picture of trees like this was in France. Just find a quiet side road to have your picnic amongst the frees.

I managed to find the road that takes you up onto the sea wall if you are after an adventure!
Attachments
chongming web.jpg
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby crivens200 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:29 am

Mister_happy wrote:But if you want a quick day trip head over to Chongming Island and DongTang Park. Its only 60km from Century Park and less then an hour and a half drive.

Just don't try and head there on the day of a national holiday though :lol:
crivens200
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby crivens200 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:32 am

The basic reason that most expats don't drive a car here is that most of them haven't been offered them in their salary package. The suggestion by some people that they don't drive because of green reasons or the excellent public transport system is just an excuse to hide the fact they are crap at negotiating a good remuneration package.
crivens200
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby Shanghai Noob » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:24 pm

crivens200 wrote:The basic reason that most expats don't drive a car here is that most of them haven't been offered them in their salary package. The suggestion by some people that they don't drive because of green reasons or the excellent public transport system is just an excuse to hide the fact they are crap at negotiating a good remuneration package.

Bollocks. The basic reason that most expats don't have a car and driver here is that most of them haven't been given them in their salary package, I’m not sure that’s down to poor negotiating though. Most people here that could afford cars at home don't bother passing a Chinese driving test, buying, taxing, servicing and running a car is because the benefit is pretty low compared to the (perceived) hassle. But I don't think it’s hassle that's driving it but the ease of alternatives.

When you compare car ownership to Shanghai’s excellent public transport (metro and rail system) it’s genuinely a better service than most big Western cities, although limited running hours. It’s telling that the OP doesn't even mention the metro as if shite Shanghai taxis are the only alternative to car ownership. And alternatives such as taxis, Uber or the like are a very reasonably priced alternative. Add to that, sitting in traffic in the city is an arse and if you want to get out you can still hire a car and driver for a weekend for a relatively low amount of cash.

I understand there are some individuals who like to get out biking, exploring mountains etc regularly or rarely enter the inner ring but they are few and far between. They are probably the guys who have settled for many years, married local ladies, speak decent Chinese, live in an area not well served by the metro, but set up well for driving on empty dual carriageways. I’d hazard a guess that they are some of the pro-driving posters on this thread.
Last edited by Shanghai Noob on Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shanghai Noob
FooJay
FooJay

Postby YokiE » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:44 pm

if the safety is the concern then it's much safer to drive your own car or your own bike or any kind of transport. I much feels safer if I put my own safety into my own hands than trusting the driver I do not know.
YokiE
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Shanghai Noob » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:50 pm

YokiE wrote:if the safety is the concern then it's much safer to drive your own car or your own bike or any kind of transport. I much feels safer if I put my own safety into my own hands than trusting the driver I do not know.

It wouldnt be safer if I drove my own metro train. I'd refuse to open the train doors at People's Square and delight in the carnage as people realised they we're unable to alight.
Shanghai Noob
FooJay
FooJay

Postby YokiE » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:09 pm

Shanghai Noob wrote:It wouldnt be safer if I drove my own metro train. I'd refuse to open the train doors at People's Square and delight in the carnage as people realised they we're unable to alight.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
if it's yours then it's not public anymore.
YokiE
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Klick » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:15 am

Shanghai Noob wrote:
crivens200 wrote:The basic reason that most expats don't drive a car here is that most of them haven't been offered them in their salary package. The suggestion by some people that they don't drive because of green reasons or the excellent public transport system is just an excuse to hide the fact they are crap at negotiating a good remuneration package.

Bollocks. The basic reason that most expats don't have a car and driver here is that most of them haven't been given them in their salary package, I’m not sure that’s down to poor negotiating though.

My understanding of the original question is that it wasn't anything to do with hired drivers, but why expats don't drive themselves, which clearly has very little to do one way or the other with remuneration packages. Some of the highest-package expats I know work for companies that have clauses in their contracts which expressly forbid them from driving here, for liability reasons. Ironically (or not), many of them work for car companies.
Cack, my blog is buggered.
Klick
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby Shanghai Noob » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:43 am

Klick wrote:
Shanghai Noob wrote:

Bollocks. The basic reason that most expats don't have a car and driver here is that most of them haven't been given them in their salary package, I’m not sure that’s down to poor negotiating though.

My understanding of the original question is that it wasn't anything to do with hired drivers, but why expats don't drive themselves, which clearly has very little to do one way or the other with remuneration packages. Some of the highest-package expats I know work for companies that have clauses in their contracts which expressly forbid them from driving here, for liability reasons. Ironically (or not), many of them work for car companies.

I agree! But ‘clearly’ this is not clear to Crivens. Driving is a pretty sensitive one for me (I love driving cars), my company have not contractually forbidden it as they can’t really enforce this in my personal life but they absolutely do not want me driving in China. Yes, vehicle related industry! Unfortunately not ‘highest-package expat’ though…

There’s always karting! Anyone fancy Disc kart some time?!
Shanghai Noob
FooJay
FooJay

Postby chingiskhan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:46 am

Klick wrote:[Some of the highest-package expats I know work for companies that have clauses in their contracts which expressly forbid them from driving here, for liability reasons.

Seems ironic to me that some of these people would be far safer driving themselves than letting taxi drivers take responsibility for their lives.

Many of my expat friends drive, probably because of lifestage - many have children that makes not having a car very inconvenient. I personally have had to seriously consider this now that I have a child. I cannot take taxis because they often don't have seat belts so I can't secure the baby car seat. I've had to use Uber every time I take the child out.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby Klick » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:09 pm

chingiskhan wrote:
Klick wrote:[Some of the highest-package expats I know work for companies that have clauses in their contracts which expressly forbid them from driving here, for liability reasons.

Seems ironic to me that some of these people would be far safer driving themselves than letting taxi drivers take responsibility for their lives.

Those people don't take taxis. They have company-issued cars with drivers.
Cack, my blog is buggered.
Klick
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby r.b » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:01 pm

Anybody have information about transfer from Shanghai's auction system for plates to lottery system ?

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/soci ... aily.shtml
r.b
Raver
Raver

Postby Markofshanghai » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:05 pm

Klick wrote:
chingiskhan wrote:

Those people don't take taxis. They have company-issued cars with drivers.

Retarded policies and clearly illegal to put inside any work contract in China. It can be added to company assigned relocation agent and whatever agent who pays more under table.

Back to topic:
I'vebeen driving in Shanghai (and other cities nearby) the past 11 years without issues and delighted to witness huge improvement in driving behaviour and road condition but still not highly recommended to someone suffering from high blood pressure, living and working inside the inner ring to drive his lease or own car during rush hour.
Markofshanghai
Lurker
Lurker

PreviousNext

Return to Transportation