Toy shops, where?

Hey moms and dads, this forum will help you with know about dealing with family issues

Toy shops, where?

Postby ZenCafe » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:07 pm

Majority of the toys in the world is made in China but I have not been able to find a decent toy shop in Shanghai. There are all kind of markets here, tailor, optical etc. but is there any toy market? My kids will visit me in two weeks and they are looking forward to see all kinds of 'Made in China' toys. Thanks in advance.
ZenCafe

Postby yu888 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:54 pm

Toys R Us - Super Brand Mall, still the best collection. (LuJiaZui)
Simba's Toys (smaller collections of some toys) Cloud Nine mall 9th Floor (Zhong Shan Park area)
6 years of experiences, good, bad ugly... and survived.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Re: Toy shops, where?

Postby CaptainCook » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:32 pm

ZenCafe wrote:Majority of the toys in the world is made in China but I have not been able to find a decent toy shop in Shanghai. There are all kind of markets here, tailor, optical etc. but is there any toy market? My kids will visit me in two weeks and they are looking forward to see all kinds of 'Made in China' toys. Thanks in advance.

That's ok.... you're making the same mistake/assumption as most of us. Unfortunately, most of the toys here are made to order and often to the customers' designs and specifications. Hence, most of them are not available for local market (unless it's rejects or surplus :wink: ).

Like Yu888 said, the best option is Toys R Us in Super Brand Mall.
CaptainCook
Ranter
Ranter

Postby jeannie5 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:59 pm

i think i did come across one next to the foodcourt at Gubei Carrerfour though i haven't gone inside yet..anyone want to comment on that?!
jeannie5
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Juan_Tamad » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Theres a small cool collectible toy shop in the corner of Shaanxi lu / nanyang lu, just behind Plaza 66 offices
YOU WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE I LIFE, AND NEVER REMEMBERED FOR WHAT YOU HAVE NOT DONE
Juan_Tamad
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby zanderion » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:25 pm

yu888 wrote:Toys R Us - Super Brand Mall, still the best collection. (LuJiaZui)
Simba's Toys (smaller collections of some toys) Cloud Nine mall 9th Floor (Zhong Shan Park area)

How are the prices at Toys R Us? High? I mean... most of the stuff is locally made, right?
zanderion
Barker
Barker

Toys

Postby lisajake » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:18 pm

I like purchase toys from my childhood. I'm always playing with toys.

private equity firm
lisajake

Postby freedelia » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:29 pm

The one in Carrefour Gubei someone mentioned in a previous post is King Jouet, a French toy store, similar to Toys R Us, but smaller. Both are not cheap (actually more expensive than the same stuff you get at Toys R Us in the US. I mean, they are not expensive, but they do not have China prices, like the crappy toys you can get on the street.
freedelia
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby booboo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:44 pm

You can try Wise Kids on Madang Lu in Xintiandi, expensive but has a pretty good range of wooden toys.
booboo
Barker
Barker

Postby Georgie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:51 pm

Bai Bai (Nextage) in Pudong has a good toy store on the children's floor - 7 or 8 can't remember exactly.
Georgie
Raver
Raver

Postby clairiz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:00 pm

3rd floor of Grand Gateway in XuJiaHui
clairiz
Talker
Talker

Postby travelinjack3 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:28 pm

Doesn't the area around Yu Yuan have a toy street with a mix of local quality and some more export quality toys?
Can't love'em, can't trust'em, all their egos are funny.
travelinjack3
PopStar
PopStar

Postby tnmom » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:37 pm

You can also check out the big children's department store on Nanjing Rd:

Bao Da Xiang Children and Youth Department Store
685 Nanjing Dong Lu
tnmom
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby JolieJuniors » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:38 pm

If you drive, go to the famous "Outlet". There is a "Bao Da Xiang Kids Store", probably a division with the one on Nanjing Road, but more reasonable price. I believe you could find some good toys including Lego for your kids.

Also you could find brand clothing for your kids, such as Osh Kosh with seasonable discount.
JolieJuniors

Postby GirlatWork » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:05 pm

travelinjack3 wrote:Doesn't the area around Yu Yuan have a toy street with a mix of local quality and some more export quality toys?

Yes the toy shops are in the small commodities market on Fuyou Lu. There are some on the ground floor facing the street, but also go up to 3/F as there are half a dozen toy shops selling lot of toys for export. You have to bargain very hard and you'll get very good deals.
GirlatWork
Rocker
Rocker

Postby GirlatWork » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:08 pm

Also the Nihong Children's Mall that many people mentioned in this Forum for chikldrens clothing. But there are some toy shops as well. Do not buy from the one close to the entrance. They are expensive. Walk deep in the alleys and there are some shops with good prices. You can find real Lego for 30% less than regular department stores/ Carrefour.
GirlatWork
Rocker
Rocker

Postby lemonliu » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:17 pm

I recently saw a new toy store @ people's square subway station (when you enter gate 10, turn right, you will see the store). It is called Hapimall toy shop.
lemonliu

Postby welshlass » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:48 pm

I manage to find most of the things that I want for my 3 year old.

The underground children's market downtown is definately worth a look, I have no dea of the address I'm sorry, I am still finding my way around!
Super brand mall Toys r us has got the best selection but some of the suff there is pricey.
Pearl city in Honqiou (bad spelling Im sorry!) has a toy shop on the 3rd floor which s worth a look.

I also noticed a good selection of Transformers in Carrefor this week.

Good Luck
welshlass
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby blondesands » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Where can I find Bakugan toys? Have seen the Chinese knock-off, but that is not what I'm looking for.
"I am the master of my fate: the captain of my soul." by William Earnest Henley (Madiba's words of encouragement)
blondesands

And...she's back...

Low Seater
Low Seater

Mood: Cool

Return to Family Life